Damage - Difference between % Damage and % Cold Damage

I still struggle to understand the concept of %damage vs %cold damage. If you had a choice between socketing a 20% damage mod or a 20% cold damage mod is there ever any reason that you would ever pick the cold mod? My understanding is that %damage is superior simply because it is 20% to ALL DAMAGES where 20% cold would only be cold.... do I have this right or is there a case where 20% cold might be superior for a cold sorc that only uses cold spells?

Thanks

percent damage can boost damage for ranged melee and casters Percent element will only boost for casters`specific magical spell.

It`s becuase for ranged and melee damage is coming off teh weapon and phys damage rings we socket. The element that the phys damage gets converted to is done by the element placed within the weapon itself.

For a caster the spell determines the element being cast, and socketing percentage same element can help boost that specific spell`s damage.

This is why socketing damage for hybrid`s is tough...you have to make space for TWO types of damages...those used by melee ranged and that used by casters.

:)

gogo

20% cold is only as good as 20% damage if you do just cold damage. If it are the same % numbers go for damage and not for cold damage. The only reason to take a 'y% cold damage' ring over a 'x% damage' ring is, that the y% cold will be higher than the x% damage.

So you will probably get 35% cold damage at the same level you get 20% damage. And as said, it is only useful in this case if you do just cold damage.

For hybrids: x% cold damage will boost melee damage if the weapon has natural cold damage before you are socketing it.

Edited by chattius
percent damage can boost damage for ranged melee and casters Percent element will only boost for casters`specific magical spell.

It`s becuase for ranged and melee damage is coming off teh weapon and phys damage rings we socket. The element that the phys damage gets converted to is done by the element placed within the weapon itself.

For a caster the spell determines the element being cast, and socketing percentage same element can help boost that specific spell`s damage.

This is why socketing damage for hybrid`s is tough...you have to make space for TWO types of damages...those used by melee ranged and that used by casters.

gogo

Thanks but let me see if I have this right.

For the spell Glacial thorns would both the smith's 15% damage and a ring 15% cold damage have the exact same effect on the damage of the spell? I am really pumped to make a cold sorc but I want to understand this as well as get some gear together before starting.

20% cold is only as good as 20% damage if you do just cold damage. If it are the same % numbers go for damage and not for cold damage. The only reason to take a 'y% cold damage' ring over a 'x% damage' ring is, that the y% cold will be higher than the x% damage.

So you will probably get 35% cold damage at the same level you get 20% damage. And as said, it is only useful in this case if you do just cold damage.

For hybrids: x% cold damage will boost melee damage if the weapon has natural cold damage before you are socketing it.

BAAAM! That is exactly what I was after. You were typing this while I was typing mine above..... thanks a lot man!

The smith and cold damage rings will both affect the spell... the smith`s runes will not only affect the spell damage but also the damage coming off weapon if there were one...for example in the case of a hybrid. which then takes us to the next one...the physical damage ring...which will ONLY affect damage coming off weapon or weapon based Combat Art`s...but who`s yield for damage is MUCH higher at higher levels of a character when Combat Art`s begin to compete with smith arts for best way to increase damage.

gogo

The smith and cold damage rings will both affect the spell... the smith`s runes will not only affect the spell damage but also the damage coming off weapon if there were one...for example in the case of a hybrid. which then takes us to the next one...the physical damage ring...which will ONLY affect damage coming off weapon or weapon based Combat Art`s...but who`s yield for damage is MUCH higher at higher levels of a character when Combat Art`s begin to compete with smith arts for best way to increase damage.

gogo

thanks, I think I got it now.