Is there a mod to change mount appearance?

Munera

Ice and Blood add-on has improved a lot the appearance of the special mounts, as they have a unique aspect bridle now. However, it isn't that cool for a Shadow Warrior. Well, the hell hound is awesome, but they don't work ok (they don't give the proper aspect regeneration time bonus). For example, the DW HH (red one) gives Regeneration time: Astral Lord. As a result, I have to ride the malevolent champion in order to have the suitable reg time for my Shadow Warrior and go on a hell hound.

I'm just fed up with this, it sucks. Is there something you can change on the game files in order to change the hell hound appearance, or just change the bonus they provide?

Ice and Blood add-on has improved a lot the appearance of the special mounts, as they have a unique aspect bridle now. However, it isn't that cool for a Shadow Warrior. Well, the hell hound is awesome, but they don't work ok (they don't give the proper aspect regeneration time bonus). For example, the DW HH (red one) gives Regeneration time: Astral Lord. As a result, I have to ride the malevolent champion in order to have the suitable reg time for my Shadow Warrior and go on a hell hound.

I'm just fed up with this, it sucks. Is there something you can change on the game files in order to change the hell hound appearance, or just change the bonus they provide?

Regarding changing the hellhound appearance. You can swap model files (have the hell hound look like another mount). It will still have the hell hound characteristics. There might be some problems with the characters movements in game.

Model files for the mound are in the graphics05.zip file. You'll need power archiver, winzip, winrar, or 7-zip to extract them. Once extracted, the mounts are in the following path

models\npc\ridingcreatures. The hellhound is in the folder named hoellenhund. They are models are gr2 files. You'll need grannyviewer (it's a free download) to see what the models look like. The hellhound model is named v_hellhoundreit-v1.GR2

Once you've determined what you want the hell hound to look like, create the following file structure in the pak folder of your game

models\npc\ridingcreatures\hoellenhund

Copy v_hellhoundreit-v1.GR2 file and the gr2 file that you wish the hellhound to resemble into that folder. Rename v_hellhoundreit-v1.GR2 to original-v_hellhoundreit-v1.GR2, then change the name of the other file to v_hellhoundreit-v1.GR2.

There might also be a way to do this by modifying the itemtype.txt file. The problem with that technique is that each time the developer/publisher issues a patch they overwrite the itemtype.txt file.

If your experimentation does not work, simply delete the models folder and its contents.

Good luck and have fun.

Best regards,

fleet

Thank you very much for your answer, fleet. I downloaded granny viewer, but there's no colour and all hellhounds are the same. Where did you get the viewer from?

Thank you very much for your answer, fleet. I downloaded granny viewer, but there's no colour and all hellhounds are the same. Where did you get the viewer from?

The granny viewer doesn't show the colors (textures). To see how your swapped models will look in the game you'll have to play the game. Try the renaming technique in my previous post with the m_spider.gr2 file, and see if it works.

Best regards,

fleet

Then I have to change colour and saddle of all hellhounds? Seems quite difficult. Isn't the itemtype.txt file way easier?

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original question. I assumed you wanted to substitute a different type of mount for a hell hound.

Is what you want to make one hell hound look like another? If that is the case, you can do it by extracting the appropriate dds (texture) files from graphics02.zip and following a procedure similar to what I told you to do with the models (gr2 files).

I have not used the 'modify itemtype.txt file' technique and so cannot offer any advice on it.

Very respectfully,

fleet

Then I have to change colour and saddle of all hellhounds? Seems quite difficult. Isn't the itemtype.txt file way easier?

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your original question. I assumed you wanted to substitute a different type of mount for a hell hound.

Is what you want to make one hell hound look like another? If that is the case, you can do it by extracting the appropriate dds (texture) files from graphics02.zip and following a procedure similar to what I told you to do with the models (gr2 files).

I have not used the 'modify itemtype.txt file' technique and so cannot offer any advice on it.

Very respectfully,

fleet

Man, there are a lot of files for each hell hound and saddle appearance of every aspect. Changing all that would be a mess, and it could bring problems in the future. I know I was asking for a mod, but now I see it's better to just change the bonus. Ho do you open the 'modify itemtipe.txt file'?

Thank you very much for all your help!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think fleet means modifying the scripts files.

Anyway, that appears to be the only other option.

I suggest that you backup your scripts folder.

I'd search through scripts\server\creatures.txt, for mount_hellhound which will take you to the generic version. The next one will be Mount_hellhound_hardcombat, then Mount_hellhound_tactics, then Mount_hellhound_astral, then you'll find Saddle_Mount_hellhound_astral, and Saddle_Mount_hellhound_tactics, and finally Saddle_Mount_hellhound_hardcombat.

Then you need their id, not itemtype id. For the first hellhound it's 165, so you search for 165, (include the space at the start, and the comma at the end, it means that you won't stop at 1656 or 1165, or something like that).

Note: you will find some entries where equipset_id is 165, Don't worry about them, continue searching.

This will then take you to these:

mgr.addCreatureBonus( 165, {

intensity = 1000,

bonus = 723,

})

intensity = 1000,

bonus = 248,

})

intensity = 500,

bonus = 720,

})

I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what these are(they could be the bonuses you get when you ride it), and I wouldn't know where to find out, but continuing your search, you'll find:

mgr.addCreatureSkill( 165, {

skill_id = 9,

advanced = 1,

skill_name = "skill_tactics_lore",

})

and then:

skill_id = 63,

advanced = 1,

skill_name = "skill__enemy_lore",

})

And finally:

mgr.addCreatureBpRelation {

creature_id = 165,

blueprint_id = 1767,

}

Again, I don't know exactly what these are. I mean they are 2 skills, and a blueprint, but precisely what they are, I don't know.

Anyway, that's how you search for the mount, and what you're likely to find regarding it.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you more info, but I don't have the time to spend on this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think fleet means modifying the scripts files.

Anyway, that appears to be the only other option.

I suggest that you backup your scripts folder.

I'd search through scripts\server\creatures.txt, for mount_hellhound which will take you to the generic version. The next one will be Mount_hellhound_hardcombat, then Mount_hellhound_tactics, then Mount_hellhound_astral, then you'll find Saddle_Mount_hellhound_astral, and Saddle_Mount_hellhound_tactics, and finally Saddle_Mount_hellhound_hardcombat.

Then you need their id, not itemtype id. For the first hellhound it's 165, so you search for 165, (include the space at the start, and the comma at the end, it means that you won't stop at 1656 or 1165, or something like that).

Note: you will find some entries where equipset_id is 165, Don't worry about them, continue searching.

This will then take you to these:

intensity = 1000,

bonus = 723,

})

intensity = 1000,

bonus = 248,

})

intensity = 500,

bonus = 720,

})

I'll be honest, I don't know exactly what these are(they could be the bonuses you get when you ride it), and I wouldn't know where to find out, but continuing your search, you'll find:

skill_id = 9,

advanced = 1,

})

and then:

skill_id = 63,

advanced = 1,

skill_name = "skill__enemy_lore",

})

And finally:

creature_id = 165,

blueprint_id = 1767,

}

Again, I don't know exactly what these are. I mean they are 2 skills, and a blueprint, but precisely what they are, I don't know.

Anyway, that's how you search for the mount, and what you're likely to find regarding it.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you more info, but I don't have the time to spend on this.

If each hell hound has a different ID, all I have to do is to change all those commands properly. First to third, second to first and third to second. What are the IDs for the second and the third one?

You've changed the id of each of the mounts?

You should be looking for these for each of the mounts, working out what they do, and changing them if necessary:

intensity = 1000,

bonus = 723,

})

skill_id = 9,

advanced = 1,

})

Maybe this one could be left alone

creature_id = 165,

blueprint_id = 1767,

}

Teorically, if you change id, you'll change everything. Well, I'll try that and then tell how was it.

But, one thing I can't understand is: Why has the generic hellhound statistics have to be changed?

But if you're changing the creature's id, chances are there is already a creature with that id, so there's going to be conflicts.

And how is changing the id going to help you anyway, you have to know what those things I mentioned are. If you find an alternative id you then have to know what bonuses that id gets, otherwise, you're no better off than before.

Where did I say to change the generic hellhound stuff? I thought I just mentioned how to search for it, and what you were to look for. I was using the generic hellhound only as an example. My previous post mentions "changing if necessary", only to show what to look for, not that you have to change those.

• 9 months later...

I was interested by this thread so a few weeks ago I spent a morning editing one of the script files trying to change the Seraphim Mount so that it had the appearance etc of the Dragon Mage Mount. I wanted both mounts to use the same model, textures, anims, etc.

Because I wanted to have the same mount appearance for both characters I was copy\pasting the text referencing the models, textures and anims from the Dragon Mage Mounts' entries to the Seraphim Mounts' entries rather than changing any IDs.

When I tried to load a Seraphim in the game it crashed. I could load any other character type including the Dragon Mage.

This morning I tried to make another attempt. I cannot remember exactly which file(s) I edited but when I look today I cannot find the file(s) I need to edit, I have looked at all script files I can find so maybe I am going blind or something :) So, sorry I cannot tell you exactly which files I tried editing on my first attempt.

Has anyone got any suggestions regarding what I should do in order to have two or more character types riding what looks like the Dragon Mage Mount?

• 1 year later...

Well I still remember how I managed to make the transition succesfully from the non-aspect wind serpent to a flaming horse, if by any chance anyone is still interested.

What you need first:

1. Make a copy of each of the following files: creatures.txt, itemtype.txt, creatureinfo.txt, soundprofile.txt and blueprint.txt (this one will not get modified, will only be used as a reference, but hey a copy of it cannot hurt).

2. I recommend not using Windows incorporated text editors for the following alteration (the files are kinda huge for some texts); I used Notepad++ and it worked like a charm.

Ok then, the steps are as follows:

1. First find the id and itemtype_id for the mounts you are insterested in. Each mount has their own id and itemtype_id. The best way of finding these is by searching with "specialmountfor = X" in the creatureinfo.txt, where X would be the class that the unique mount corresponds to. (so far I know that dryad is 2, high elf is 5 and seraphim is 1; ALSO the non-unique mounts are a bit more difficult to find since they have no "specialmountfor = X" tag describing them, which means that it would be better to search for them in the creatures.txt file since there they have a name tag, although the names are not very suggestive but they help a little).

-- btw the itemtype_id for the flame horse is 12736, for the non-aspect wind serpent is 5549; you can search on google for these itemtype_ids as well - you might get lucky;

2. Go into the itemtype.txt file, search for the itemtype_id of the mount from which you want to copy the 3D model from (in my case it was the flaming horse) and COPY the 3d model section (that means everything from "-- 3d model" line to just above the "-- logic bounding box" line); now search for the itemtype_id of the mount that you want overwritten (in my case it was the non-aspect wind serpent) and paste what you just copied over the same area of the target mount (it does not matter if the number of lines is different, as long as you overwrite the entire 3d model section).

-- right now the 3d model is changed, and if you try to run the game at this moment you might get a very weird mount instead of the one you got, or you might just get something usable - anyway it is not done yet).

3. Go into the creatureinfo.txt file. Search for the itemtype_id of the source mount (for me the flame horse) and copy everything from just below the "type = number," line down to "} mgr.creatureInfoCreate(newCreatureInfo);". Now search for the itemtype_id (just to be sure I'm reffering to the number you first found at step 1, not the string "itemtype_id") and here paste over the area of the target mount (in my case the wind serpent.

(Please NOTE that the "specialmountfor = X," line is essential and thus should not be copied over, or to be more precise it needs to survive your pasting attempt; also if a line that looks like this " eq_fallback = { number }," survives your animation during game will be messed up, which also means that if you want to paste over a unique mount - whereas the flaming horse is a normal mount - you will need to copy the " eq_fallback = { number }," line from the source mount)

-- now you might wander why the NOTE is important (and btw it is in most cases); well it is because only now will your animation work properly (for instance your flaming horse will not have a tail if you fail at this step - tailItemtype is not 0 in his case)

4. This one is OPTIONAL. At an earlier reply the attribute parts of your mount are mentioned. The "mgr.addCreatureBonus" and the rest of the attributes are correctly mentioned. Now let's see what those things mean. First of all at this point you have to use the id that you found at step 1 rather than the itemtype_id. How to use this id is explained by Malachor. So let's see the meaning behind the code presented there. The first three blocks (out of 6) refer to the positive bonuses that you get from that mount; to be more precise the first block refers to the resistance/aspect cooldown reduction that you get from you mount. The second refers to the health bonus, and the third to the defense bonus (they are described ingame in the same order that they are presnt in the creatures.txt file). Now how can you find out what they really are about? Well in that block you have two variables: intensity and bonus. Increasing and decreasing the intensity will make that bonus greater or loewr. The bonus variable is mapped in the blueprint.txt file. You can search for it with a string similar to this one: "createBonus(number", where number is the number that the bonus is equal to (in the case of the first block it would be "createBonus(248"). By searching this way you can find out what the added attribute means.

Now regarding the 4th and 5th block, well I still don't know their exact purpose but I saw no difference wheter I left the code there or if I just deleted it.

NOTE that the +54% in all aspect cooldown cannot be removed from this place. It seems to be directly linked to mount itself, and even if you will delete all attributes of the mount in the creatures.txt no description will be available but the increase in cooldown will still be applied.

As for the last block, from what I could gather it is linked to what you see in your inventory. I did not bother to alter it but if anyone is curios he/she can try and perhaps give some feedback.

5. This is also OPTIONAL. At this point some of you will probably still be bothered by the sounds your mount makes. The animation was changed but the sound is still the old one. So in order to change this go into the soundprofile.txt file, search for the itemtype_id of the source mount (the line should look something like "typex = itemtype_id" ) and replace it with the itemtype_id of the target mount. Then swap the itemtype_id of the target mount from the place where it is originally put with the itemtype_id of the source mount (basically now the non-aspect wind serpent makes horse sounds and the flame horse that you can buy under normal circumstances makes wind serpent sounds). If you are wondering why I did not use a more professional method, well I tried, but it seems that adding new line or comment others can results in a total loss of sound ingame, so be careful).

Guess this is just about it. By the way I tried this on CM 0130. Hope it works for you.

Edited by Syraph
  • 11 months later...

I decided to swap out my Mentalist Draconicon for the much cooler-looking Dragon Magic one. Switching the .dds files was easy enough, I didn't even have to consult anything to figure that out and it looks great.

However, the Dragon Magic Draconicon also has flaming hooves that I don't get just from swapping out the textures. Does anyone have any idea how I can modify visual effects like the flaming hooves (or for that matter, the moving flames on the Inquisitor's robes)?

EDIT: I figured it out finally. I just had to swap over the right 3D models (two GR2 files and one cm file) and I got it swtiched successfully!

Edited by Flix
  • 4 weeks later...