A Real Mafia Story

I grew up in a small sized city in upstate New York. I was buddies with a guy with a very Irish last name who had and uncle (about 10 years older) with the same last name (I shouldn't mention this name). My buddy's grandmother was an Antuzzi and was related to the Fusare's, D'ambrossio's and and Canistaro's. I remember meeting guys at birthdays, weddings and anniversaries whose nicknames were Fat Tony, Wiggles, and John the Buster or simply Buster for short. They all smoked cigars and these guys would congregate in the den or on the patio and talk real quiet. If we came too close they'd shoo us away or bribe us us with a little cash to disappear. Heck we could make $15 or $20 on a single birthday party just being kids...And Ya know, the wives were all named Connie, Maria or Marie - and they made tons of pasta with great homemade sausage and always canolis for desert. (When I saw the Godfather movie for the first time nearly laughed out loud - "Leave da body, grab the canolis")

My buddy's Uncle and his father were in the demolition business - they'd tear down buildings with a big truck crane and recycle the debris - bricks, copper, cast iron, etc. As we grew up together and got into high school, my buddy would sometimes invite me to work with the crew after school and on weekends - just general labor stuff - shoveling, stacking bricks and separating copper from cast iron. I always got paid in cash.

The business went very well for my buddy's uncle and soon he had a beautiful house, a great wife and two sweet kids. It seems he also had a lot of extra money - apparantly he would always get the better contracts for demolition work after some suspicious fire would gut the whole place - like a warehouse or a restaurant. With this extra money, he bought a downtown building and converted it into a top notch restaurant. I worked there, too, doing valet parking for some pretty rough looking guys from New York and New Jersey that tipped real good - I would often have to drive them home after a night of drinking - usually get a $20 for that and have to figure out how to get home by myself.

Anyway, it seems my buddy's uncle took a liking to one of his resturant business partners' wife and they had an affair. Wouldn't you know it after about 18 months, they got found out and all hell broke loose. Seems his partner was a Cesaro and a made man from the Jersey Mob and was not forgiving at all. My buddy's Uncle found his car (a Lincoln Continental) burned to a crisp in the resturant parking lot one Sunday morning and had his dump trucks vandalized the following day (slashed tires, broken windshields and sugar in the gas tanks). He was called to meet with this Cesaro guy - who made him an offer he couldn't refuse ---- stop seeing the guys wife, sell his interest in the restaurant (for nothing), move out of town and never come back OR .... (you fill in the blank). They found Cesaro's wife dead of an apparent drug overdose about a month later; very mysterious...

So, the uncle disappears and moves to New Orleans, leaving his wife and 2 kids without any income. His wife went to work as a teacher and some how kept the house together. The business equipment - the crane and the rest of the dump trucks were eventually sold off to pay his debts.

About 5 years later, the grandmother becomes quite ill and passes on. I went to the funeral and saw the uncle there. He told me he had to contact Cesaro and ask permission to attend his own mother's funeral. It was granted on the condition, he was to leave the next morning. The uncle pointed out the car circling the funeral home and then the family's house later - the car had two goodfella's in it, just makin' sure the uncle wouldn't do anything stupid. He left the next morning...

There's more...I told you the Uncle had two kids - two girls - well, one of them grows up to be an attorney and begins working in New York City for the then US Attorney Rudolf Guiliani - yep the former Mayor of NYC and the guy who took out the rest of the Mafia, John Gotti and the rest of that crowd. She did it to somehow get even with the mob for what happened to her father. The uncle is still in New Orleans or was last I knew and was working for HUD - tearing down buildings to make way for HUD homes...

Guest gogoblender

Wowoah!

lol, Celebrimbor I was waiting for you to get into one of your famous writing moods and one day pen something great for us here at darkmatters.

I"ve seen some of your amazing work over at DA and I'm really happy that you've decided to share some of your amazing memories here with us.

The names, the places, the foods...

Yeah I've seen some of it in the movies but when we know someone who has actually lived it, breathed and eaten it...

That changes everything.

Cel...you took me right there man.

Thanks and what else can I say but....

Give us more!

:)

gogo