Talk about stupid!

Silearth

I found myself in Best Buy today and decided to take a look at the wireless cards. I see a netgear card with pretty sticker telling me to go to their website to download windows 7 drivers. Cool!

I get home and go to the site provided. There is a list of cards there, but mine is not on it. I check the windows 7 compatibility site and is says that they are working with Netgear on this card....no ETA. But it is Vista compatible.

I want to send a strong email to them about this sort of trickery so I try to register. I already have an account?!?. I request a new password and find out that the new card I bought is the exact card I had last time. It worked great under XP but randomly dropped the connection under Vista.

I feel like a class A sucker! How can you put that message on the box when you know that it doesn't work in 7? Guess I'll be headed back to Bestbuy tomorrow.

Oh man I hate when I do something like that. Worst thing is you can't even yell at anybody. But they did have that sticker on the card itself saying it was Win 7 ready? If that was the case then I would say I thought the newer card had updated firmware or something, so I could still yell at someone :)

Well I've been searching the net since 6:00 AM. Using the advanced search to limit responses to this past month showed me that Netgear claims to be close to completing the drivers.

I did manage to get some unsigned drivers to work and I am typing this from my wireless connection. The only problem--not an issue for me, but for the wife--is that I may have to F8 and choose to disable signed driver enforcement every time I start the computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the end of this saga is that the card just stopped working. I returned it to Bestbuy and replaced it with a MIMO G card from Netgear for an additional $20.00. Native windows 7 drivers for this one so setup was a breeze. And there were even updated drivers on windows update.

And I have a much faster connection.

Edited by Silearth
  • 1 year later...

Well I've been searching the net since 6:00 AM. Using the advanced search to limit responses to this past month showed me that Netgear claims to be close to completing the drivers.

I did manage to get some unsigned drivers to work and I am typing this from my wireless connection. The only problem--not an issue for me, but for the wife--is that I may have to F8 and choose to disable signed driver enforcement every time I start the computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well the end of this saga is that the card just stopped working. I returned it to Bestbuy and replaced it with a MIMO G card from Netgear for an additional $20.00. Native windows 7 drivers for this one so setup was a breeze. And there were even updated drivers on windows update.

And I have a much faster connection.

Would you believe that this card is still going strong, while my router took a dive? No problem, was toying with the Idea of moving up.

Replaced the old router with a Belkin N600. Sharing my connection with two laptops, two DSI's and a PSP 3000 and loving the fact that I can set the router so that I get the majority of the bandwidth.

And even though I am still using a G card to connect, my connection is great.

I found myself in Best Buy today and decided to take a look at the wireless cards. I see a netgear card with pretty sticker telling me to go to their website to download windows 7 drivers. Cool!

I get home and go to the site provided. There is a list of cards there, but mine is not on it. I check the windows 7 compatibility site and is says that they are working with Netgear on this card....no ETA. But it is Vista compatible.

I want to send a strong email to them about this sort of trickery so I try to register. I already have an account?!?. I request a new password and find out that the new card I bought is the exact card I had last time. It worked great under XP but randomly dropped the connection under Vista.

I feel like a class A sucker! How can you put that message on the box when you know that it doesn't work in 7? Guess I'll be headed back to Bestbuy tomorrow.

Funny thing about that.. The Vista drivers for that card, should, in theory, work with Windows 7. Vista and Win 7 use the same driver model. Then again, given what you just said about it not being 100% reliable under Vista - it might not be all that much better under Win 7.

But I do understand where you're coming from... It's pretty sleazy of them to do that.

Would you believe that this card is still going strong, while my router took a dive? No problem, was toying with the Idea of moving up.

Replaced the old router with a Belkin N600. Sharing my connection with two laptops, two DSI's and a PSP 3000 and loving the fact that I can set the router so that I get the majority of the bandwidth.

And even though I am still using a G card to connect, my connection is great.

I'll have to keep that router in mind... when my roommate moved out, I inherited a fairly new Buffalo but it seems to drop out at least once every couple of days (which means an annoyed trip to the other end of the house to toggle the power on the router).