DarkMatters and SacredWiki Maintenance and Moving

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wonderful surprise this morning to wake up to, and matched well with a good coffee. heh, It's also cool seeing peeps bit by bit start showing up as the propogation waves reaches all our members bit by bit. 72 hours for the wave to hit all the net.

Beautiful work Schot, and after some lot of testing with links here now, could it seem like latency is faster on these servers ? ^^

:)

gogo

Cheers everyone! We survived. Woohoo! Nice to see everyone's popping in bit by bit. :)

Heya,

good work Schot! Did you get your bread and water too ? :D

Greetz

I did but they put the bread and water just a bit too far from my cage. Had to use my mouse to pull them closer. :)

Beautiful work Schot, and after some lot of testing with links here now, could it seem like latency is faster on these servers ? ^^

Cheers gogo! Oh and I do believe Knuckles and loco have something to say on that note. ^^ Remember what we talked about guys. Nooooo discussing (OR POSTING!) about that very very secret conversation that we never had. shhhhh!

Enjoy you're sleep :)

Edit: PS...you'll never find what I did :P

I WILL find it! *he says 100 years from now with his last dying bre...*

Cheers everyone! We survived. Woohoo! Nice to see everyone's popping in bit by bit. :)

Heya,

good work Schot! Did you get your bread and water too ? :tongue:

Greetz

I did but they put the bread and water just a bit too far from my cage. Had to use my mouse to pull them closer. :)

Cheers gogo! Oh and I do believe Knuckles and loco have something to say on that note. ^^ Remember what we talked about guys. Nooooo discussing (OR POSTING!) about that very very secret conversation that we never had. shhhhh!

Enjoy you're sleep :)

Edit: PS...you'll never find what I did :tease:

I WILL find it! *he says 100 years from now with his last dying bre...*

Nah...you'll never find what I havent done :bounce:

And Is it meant to be faster...? Or cant you tell us? Is there anything you can tell us about whatever upgrades you have done?

And Is it meant to be faster...? Or cant you tell us? Is there anything you can tell us about whatever upgrades you have done?

I'd tell you what changed but Schot made me double-pinkie swear never to tell...(had to go double as the regular pinkie swear didn't work)

And yes loco your line was "The site loads really fast now !, awesome work most excellent Schot!"

I'd tell you what changed but Schot made me double-pinkie swear never to tell...(had to go double as the regular pinkie swear didn't work)

And yes loco your line was "The site loads really fast now !, awesome work most excellent Schot!"

The most excellent Schot! how could I forget that part?

Cheers guys. Glad you're all making it to the new place. Especially you Genenut. I remember how terrible that last move was for you. Having you already here is a very good sign. :)

lol @ loco & knuckles. Really? Can you tell it's faster? ^^ Ah you two provided much needed laughter while I was sweating it with the databases. Especially when I kinda mutated our two databases into a super hybrid that couldn't do much of anything. :) Oh and on top of it our new tech dude sorta went and took a nap while I was freaking out. Sending him support request after support request. Too funny now that I think of it. ;)

As for changes Dragon; we haven't made any quite yet; though my eagerness to bring them underway is almost uncontrollable. I had hoped that I would be able to make some before/during the move but after getting feedback from some important sources I decided to follow the advice to not take on too much a once. Now that we're all moved I can begin the process of upgrading FDM and sacredwiki. The forum in particular will be a real treat to upgrade; with the upgrade will come many cool new forum gadgetry. Most important being the Hook system that is implemented in IPB 3. With the new hook system we can be much more liberal about the mods we add to the forum. Up till now It's been our approach to minimize on forum mods because upgrading the forum would always over-write mods. An unfortunate cost of upgrading. It's kind of the same way with Sacred 2. There's all these cool mods out for it but official patches won't work if you use the mods. The Hook system for IPB changes all that; making it possible to mod the forum and maintain those mods when future upgrades become available.

Oh and of course I'm equally eager to give FDM a new look. :)

Cheers guys. Glad you're all making it to the new place. Especially you Genenut. I remember how terrible that last move was for you. Having you already here is a very good sign. :)

lol @ loco & knuckles. Really? Can you tell it's faster? ^^ Ah you two provided much needed laughter while I was sweating it with the databases. Especially when I kinda mutated our two databases into a super hybrid that couldn't do much of anything. :) Oh and on top of it our new tech dude sorta went and took a nap while I was freaking out. Sending him support request after support request. Too funny now that I think of it. ;)

As for changes Dragon; we haven't made any quite yet; though my eagerness to bring them underway is almost uncontrollable. I had hoped that I would be able to make some before/during the move but after getting feedback from some important sources I decided to follow the advice to not take on too much a once. Now that we're all moved I can begin the process of upgrading FDM and sacredwiki. The forum in particular will be a real treat to upgrade; with the upgrade will come many cool new forum gadgetry. Most important being the Hook system that is implemented in IPB 3. With the new hook system we can be much more liberal about the mods we add to the forum. Up till now It's been our approach to minimize on forum mods because upgrading the forum would always over-write mods. An unfortunate cost of upgrading. It's kind of the same way with Sacred 2. There's all these cool mods out for it but official patches won't work if you use the mods. The Hook system for IPB changes all that; making it possible to mod the forum and maintain those mods when future upgrades become available.

Oh and of course I'm equally eager to give FDM a new look. :)

A new look is always welcome to keep things fresh, but don't go black like the SIF. that black skin is the hardest to read, most depressing skin I have ever seen. Light and cheery would be great!

SIF has many different skins, and I can't see how white writing on black background can be hard to read.

I use the original skin that is light colors. I don't know, maybe it reminds me too much of school and the chalk on a blackboard. After spending a lot of time here, the SIFs light and shadow skins just seem harder to look at.

I can see what you mean as DM is the other way around with black writing on white background, guess it takes some time to get used to SIF's colors when you mainly use the DM forum.

SIF has many different skins, and I can't see how white writing on black background can be hard to read.

I find it difficult to read as well. I've always thought that the least strain on the eye was dark against light.

:)

gogo

That's something I've heard a great deal of over the years. From what I've read on many sites there seems to be a majority that prefer dark text on light backgrounds so our main skin will always do just that. It makes sense. We've grown up with white paper so it's only natural to want black on white. Though I think from a designers perspective that dak skins might be more fun to make. Black seems to make colours really pop. ^^

And now for some sad news... It's looking like one of those, "when it rains it pours", kinda days. Ugh. PNGs on the wiki seem to be failing, MapLib has a mysterious error page; of which our maps are hosted and my Cpanel error log tool has been on a coffee break since we moved; it helps me resolve issues on the two sites.

I might not be very visible on the FDM this week what with these problems and the upgrades I'm wanting to do... :heat: