Hello all, new to the boards and would like some advice!

Hello all, first time poster, glad to be here! I just ordered Sacred 2 after ages of looking for it and it's arriving in the mail this friday, yay! Luckily enough I, being an impatient something-something, read up on what character I would like to try out first and then it hit me...

I'm going to be playing this game mostly together with my girlfriend in couch co-op and I want my character to be a complement to hers. I'm an avid RPG-fan, played a boatload of RPG's, MMO's and even some pen-and-paper so I know to appreciate all classes ;) My better half, however... hehe...

Let's get right down to the nitty-gritty shall we. I would like some advice on what character I should recommend for my girlfriend. She'll always have me to help her explain what does what now and how this and that works and so on and so forth. But her playstyle is... Well... Let's just say it's always an adventure playing together with her, Borderlands Co-op was ABSOLUTE MAYHEM, CHAOS AND UTTER HILLARIOUSNESS! :paladin: She's impulsive, not very thoughtful or strategic, impatient, not very fond of complicated procedures and... Well, I love her with all my heart, forgive me Frida, but she's a tad bit slow on understanding the elements and game mechanics of RPG's :whistle:

Soo... What class should I try to sell onto her? :P

Thanks in advance and look forward to getting to know you all here on the boards!

//O

Welcome to the board!

Does she wants to play a female character? I know my wife and my daughters don't want to play males.

You just started so you haven't a shopper yet. Does she likes shopping in a rpg?

Should it be an easy to play character?

Perhaps something like she shield maiden? You can start melee style (which is easy) and when the character grows she developes her magic arts. I did this character for my 12 year old daughter on PC but I know that some people play the build on consoles.

Edited by chattius
Welcome to the board!

Does she wants to play a female character? I know my wife and my daughters don't want to play males.

You just started so you haven't a shopper yet. Does she likes shopping in a rpg?

Should it be an easy to play character?

Perhaps something like she shield maiden? You can start melee style (which is easy) and when the character grows she developes her magic arts. I did this character for my 12 year old daughter on PC but I know that some people play the build on consoles.

Thank you!

Male or female is of no importance. Shopping... That might actually be a good idea! Easy to play would definately be a plus yes, I really want her to like the game, and I know she does aswell, however if it's overwhelming and overly complicated she'll probably get bored and go back to LittleBigPlanet while I'm at work :whistle::P I've been thinking melee-style class aswell, especially since I enjoy playing suppport classes. Anything fragile is probably out of the question aswell as... Well, she get's stressed out quite easily haha... God I'm such an awful boyfriend ain't I? :paladin:

For console play, I would definitely recommend a ranged character. BFG Seraphim is the "easy" choice because you don't have to worry about finding or buying weapons. Also, the playstyle is "hold attack button, kill everything in sight". The BFG just needs some runes memorized and it will stay powerful throughout the characters' lifetime. They're a little slow to start, since making BFG runes at a runemaster takes a lot or runes and/or money. A couple hours "farming" kobolds in Eastern elf region should give a good start for collecting "junk" runes for trading. Money will sort itself out, you still even gain cash when "dropping" (scrapping) items from your inventory.

For melee character, see Chattius' recommendation!

Oh, the most important factor, of course, is to have fun!

Welcome to Dark Matters!

For console play, I would definitely recommend a ranged character. BFG Seraphim is the "easy" choice because you don't have to worry about finding or buying weapons. Also, the playstyle is "hold attack button, kill everything in sight". The BFG just needs some runes memorized and it will stay powerful throughout the characters' lifetime. They're a little slow to start, since making BFG runes at a runemaster takes a lot or runes and/or money. A couple hours "farming" kobolds in Eastern elf region should give a good start for collecting "junk" runes for trading. Money will sort itself out, you still even gain cash when "dropping" (scrapping) items from your inventory.

Welcome to Dark Matters!

Multiple choices is never a bad thing :paladin: It'll probably end up with her playing whatever she likes anyways haha... But tips are very appreciated so thanks to both of you! Another question that popped into my mind. Do you reckon it is a must to have atleast one melee-oriented character to stand a fighting chance? Not that I mind playing a full-out tank if my girl wants to play a mage or ranger but I've been glancing at the Inquisitor... Hehe :whistle:

Thanks again!

Welcome to Dark Matters!

Multiple choices is never a bad thing :4rofl: It'll probably end up with her playing whatever she likes anyways haha... But tips are very appreciated so thanks to both of you! Another question that popped into my mind. Do you reckon it is a must to have atleast one melee-oriented character to stand a fighting chance? Not that I mind playing a full-out tank if my girl wants to play a mage or ranger but I've been glancing at the Inquisitor... Hehe :drool:

Thanks again!

Melee character is not "needed", no.

Just mind that to play couch co-op, both toons have to be "aligned" - either Light or Shadow Campaign. If Inquisitor is chosen, he can only play Shadow. Seraphim can only choose Light campaign.

Hi Oscar, welcome to DarkMatters! I know there is another husband wife team here on these boards, the guy's name is keyser and him and his wife duet with him playing the BFG as mentioned up above, and with him playing a ranged dryad.

Both those builds come complete with spectacular fire and do well together.

:)

gogo

I think she should go with dual wield seraphim or ragned dryad build. Is she going to want to grind and understand the concept? With these two choices, she will be able to get in the game and get some killing done. I think your thinking about shopping in the wrong context for her. She's not going to feel the same about it as she would if she was out shopping in real life. I'm asking this because no one starts with a shopper out the box. I have learned from playing that preparing a shopper/s takes time and resources that you may not have at your disposal as a console player. A new shopper without help from others will never be effective on their own by end game due to the mechanics of how shopping works. You'll get some goodies but not the best bang for your buck/gold.

Hi Oscar, welcome to DarkMatters! I know there is another husband wife team here on these boards, the guy's name is keyser and him and his wife duet with him playing the BFG as mentioned up above, and with him playing a ranged dryad.

Both those builds come complete with spectacular fire and do well together.

:)

gogo

Hi there Rommel and thank you kindly! Hmm sounds interesting... I actually think the BFG build might appeal to her being not so complicated but still versatile... I'll keep it in mind!

I think she should go with dual wield seraphim or ragned dryad build. Is she going to want to grind and understand the concept? With these two choices, she will be able to get in the game and get some killing done. I think your thinking about shopping in the wrong context for her. She's not going to feel the same about it as she would if she was out shopping in real life. I'm asking this because no one starts with a shopper out the box. I have learned from playing that preparing a shopper/s takes time and resources that you may not have at your disposal as a console player. A new shopper without help from others will never be effective on their own by end game due to the mechanics of how shopping works. You'll get some goodies but not the best bang for your buck/gold.

Well now that you say it it sounds rather obvious hehe. Thanks for the input!

Hey orvar87, I also play couch co op with my girlfriend and she never plays rpg so it was good to get to play this with me..

She loved the HighElf Arrant Pyromancer, And me being the Support Dryad to keep her alive.. She deals great damage, more then me.. So she stays keen cause she feels she actually better at me then something :twitch:

After awhile, She was open to try another character then tried the hack n slash builds and im still a support dryad lol Guide her along with some hints/tips (This site is sooo useful) and ya cant go wrong..

Try to get some builds to help her along so if she doesnt know where to put a stat/skill point, you will know in advance to keep the fun rolling.. Best of luck mate. :)

Hey orvar87, I also play couch co op with my girlfriend and she never plays rpg so it was good to get to play this with me..

She loved the HighElf Arrant Pyromancer, And me being the Support Dryad to keep her alive.. She deals great damage, more then me.. So she stays keen cause she feels she actually better at me then something :)

After awhile, She was open to try another character then tried the hack n slash builds and im still a support dryad lol Guide her along with some hints/tips (This site is sooo useful) and ya cant go wrong..

Try to get some builds to help her along so if she doesnt know where to put a stat/skill point, you will know in advance to keep the fun rolling.. Best of luck mate. :)

The part about being more lethal than me is probably going to make her love playing ;) I've been listening to you folks here and looking around a bit and now I have a couple of good ideas of what to suggest and what to play myself aswell! I'm really REALLY happy I got jumpy and started looking into the game early on, making a broken build and having to start over wouldn't have gotten us off to a good start hehe.

As of now I'm thinking Shadow Warrior tank build and all-out nuke High-Elf, BFG and ranged Dryad or Shield Maiden and something undecided... I'll make sure to let you guys know what we decide on once the time has come :D

Don't think we're gonna go furniture shopping this weekend after all, she's probably gonna have to pry the controller from my hands with a crowbar... :twitch:

She loved the HighElf Arrant Pyromancer, And me being the Support Dryad to keep her alive.. She deals great damage, more then me.. So she stays keen cause she feels she actually better at me then something :)

The part about being more lethal than me is probably going to make her love playing ;) I've been listening to you folks here and looking around a bit and now I have a couple of good ideas of what to suggest and what to play myself aswell! I'm really REALLY happy I got jumpy and started looking into the game early on, making a broken build and having to start over wouldn't have gotten us off to a good start hehe.

As of now I'm thinking Shadow Warrior tank build and all-out nuke High-Elf, BFG and ranged Dryad or Shield Maiden and something undecided... I'll make sure to let you guys know what we decide on once the time has come :D

Don't think we're gonna go furniture shopping this weekend after all, she's probably gonna have to pry the controller from my hands with a crowbar... :twitch:

... and so I got Sacred and my antiquing disappeared? (too obscure?)

Edited by essjayehm

Great, thanks, seemingly out-of-nowhere hysterical laughing has just made everyone at work look at me funny... :)

Although you're closer to the truth than I'd like to admit, he he... :twitch:

Edited by orvar87
Great, thanks, seemingly out-of-nowhere hysterical laughing has just made everyone at work look at me funny... :oooo:

Although you're closer to the truth than I'd like to admit, he he... :D

Hi there. I am the guy referred to above who plays this game with my wife. Many moons ago I was researching the exact same thing as you are doing. Here are a few questions and answers based on my game play thus far. By the way we are level 110ish and almost through the game on the hardest level with zero deaths.

Questions

1) Do you care if you die at all? Dieing effects Survival Bonus which effects quality of drops. If you think you never want to die and you don't have great gear to start, I suggest going with RANGED character.

2) how good at stick skills is your girl friend and does she like to die? playing 2 person co-op on the same xbox and same tv can make melee a tad bit tricky.

3) Will one of you control the view perspective or both? regardless, RANGED shooting is FAR, FAR easier then melee for co-op IMO.

4) do you want the game to be hard and slow, medium or easy to get through? getting through the game with an untwinked melee character in co-op view would be HARD without dieing a number of times I think.

5) do you need your characters to be evenly powered so that 1 is doing all the killing? Something to consider if one of you goes with the BFG Seph as she is mighty powerful and can make the other one pretty bored.

6) will you make a shopper to follow along or does one of your characters need to be a shopper?

Baaah, there are more but whats the point. As me any questions you might have and I can tell you all about our experience as I took the RANGED DRYAD and wife took BFG SEPH. Early and mid way she was far more powerful but as we leveled up I started killing mobs much faster then she can but she rocks if fighting 1 or 2 bad guys like its no body's business. The only downside to our builds is that we are a tad TOO POWERFUL and the game actually got EASIER as we climbed in difficulty level.

Hey there keyser! I'll get right down to it, no we don't mind dying, to be honest I'm actually counting on dying :D Not that I'm not ambitious, rather realistic :oooo: Her stick control is rapidly improving but it's still... Let's call it erratic when put under stress hehe ;) I'll probably be controlling the camera but knowing about the melée situation adds another perspective to it, definately... Regarding drops and difficulty I don't want it to be too difficult but not too easy and I don't mind being less of a killer than she is, although she doesn't mind that either. I spoke to her regarding what she feels and she thinks ranged caster, preferrably high elf. Perhaps some durable pyromancer or ice build for her and I can do... Ranged dryad perhaps? Or if she wants to play a nuker is there something else more suitable to team up with? What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Edited by orvar87

Ofcourse the choice is yours but HighElf pure Pyromancer is a nuker with blazing tempest she will wipe all those nitty gritty mobs away :) Id put more defense skills instead of adding Ice skills for extra recieved damage cause mobs are gonna want to kill her first cause she hurts :)

Just set the camera angle to north and leave it to save any confusion with who controls the camera :)

Upto you guys what you will choose, But I did what I can to keep my girlfriend interested and that means her feeling superior.

Goodluck, Not long to wait now.. One more day ^^

The HE would be good for her. and Fire or Ice I would start with Delphic magic as the base and add fire or ice later. the reason is she will get bored really fast unless she can kill something and fire or ice in low levels are pretty weak. I start with magic. give her a bow and use magic coup until she starts to level up and you can take fire or ice. my HE's have always been magic/ice but thats really just a personal preference.

Ofcourse the choice is yours but HighElf pure Pyromancer is a nuker with blazing tempest she will wipe all those nitty gritty mobs away 1smile.gif Id put more defense skills instead of adding Ice skills for extra recieved damage cause mobs are gonna want to kill her first cause she hurts icon4.gif

Just set the camera angle to north and leave it to save any confusion with who controls the camera 2biggrin.gif

Upto you guys what you will choose, But I did what I can to keep my girlfriend interested and that means her feeling superior.

Goodluck, Not long to wait now.. One more day ^^

Thanks for the pointers man, very appreciated :) Turns out I'm lucky, the game arrived one day early, yay for quick postal service! :)

The HE would be good for her. and Fire or Ice I would start with Delphic magic as the base and add fire or ice later. the reason is she will get bored really fast unless she can kill something and fire or ice in low levels are pretty weak. I start with magic. give her a bow and use magic coup until she starts to level up and you can take fire or ice. my HE's have always been magic/ice but thats really just a personal preference.

This is a VERY good pointer, thanks a ton, this adds a whole new element to it... This enables her to get some time to get a feel for the game before she finalizes her plans for the build! Perhaps something along the lines of:

1. Delphic Arcania Lore - For Magic Coup and modding points.

2. Armor Lore - For defensive capabilities.

3. Concentration - For dual buffs.

4. Primary Elemental Aspect Lore skill - For damage and modding points obviously.

5. Primary Elemental Aspect Focus skill - For regens and modding points.

Would this be a viable build early on while still giving her some time to try out the Fire and Ice combat arts respectively and getting a feel for which ones she likes more?

I've been seriously thinking about going for an Inquisitor with an Eye of the Storm-influenced build (bargaining included). Could this be a successful combo? Me up close with melee and Area of Effect, she ranged Area of Effect. For massive carnage! :)

Thanks!

Edited by orvar87
1. Delphic Arcania Lore - For Magic Coup and modding points.

2. Armor Lore - For defensive capabilities.

3. Concentration - For dual buffs.

4. Primary Elemental Aspect Lore skill - For damage and modding points obviously.

5. Primary Elemental Aspect Focus skill - For regens and modding points.

Would this be a viable build early on while still giving her some time to try out the Fire and Ice combat arts respectively and getting a feel for which ones she likes more?

I've been seriously thinking about going for an Inquisitor with an Eye of the Storm-influenced build (bargaining included). Could this be a successful combo? Me up close with melee and Area of Effect, she ranged Area of Effect. For massive carnage! :D

Thanks!

Looks good! Make sure you do your planning right (esp. for Combat Art modifications) any combo works good. Just work out a stategy that gives you max kill speed and you're good to go!

To keep the HE alive in early levels (definitely if you start in Silver difficulty), keep Grand Invigoration buff as high a level as possible, modified for HP regeneration. When concentration is added (level 5 is good like you have in your list), use the Ice skin buff for starters. Early game, it is better than the fireskin buff but with proper mods, the fireskin is better in Platinum and Niob difficulties.

But don't choose her element by that! Iceskin and Cascading Shroud provide nice protections late game as well.

The only issue with Inquisitor taking the "attention" of the monsters is that he doens't get the best armour values. My strategy for this was to keep his HP high and use the 1000's of health potions that eventually build up. There are much more sound stategies to fight that, though.

Edited by essjayehm
Looks good! Make sure you do your planning right (esp. for Combat Art modifications) any combo works good. Just work out a stategy that gives you max kill speed and you're good to go!

To keep the HE alive in early levels (definitely if you start in Silver difficulty), keep Grand Invigoration buff as high a level as possible. When concentration is added (level 5 is good like you have in your list), use the Ice skin buff for starters. Early game, it is better than the fireskin buff but with proper mods, the fireskin is better in Platinum and Niob difficulties.

But don't choose her element by that! Iceskin and Cascading Shroud provide nice protections late game as well.

The only issue with Inquisitor taking the "attention" of the monsters is that he doens't get the best armour values. My strategy for this was to keep his HP high and use the 1000's of health potions that eventually build up. There are much more sound stategies to fight that, though.

Alright, feels like I'm getting a hang of the mindset surrounding this game, sure is nice to have some nice folks like you all to help one out though :P

Regarding my Inquisitor being the punching bag I suppose I'll have to dump a load of points into vitality and be on my tippy-toes!

Now just an hour more of work and then off home to start the carnage, too bad I couldn't get tomorrow off haha... :D

To keep the HE alive in early levels (definitely if you start in Silver difficulty), keep Grand Invigoration buff as high a level as possible. When concentration is added (level 5 is good like you have in your list), use the Ice skin buff for starters. Early game, it is better than the fireskin buff but with proper mods, the fireskin is better in Platinum and Niob difficulties.

Alright, feels like I'm getting a hang of the mindset surrounding this game, sure is nice to have some nice folks like you all to help one out though :P

Regarding my Inquisitor being the punching bag I suppose I'll have to dump a load of points into vitality and be on my tippy-toes!

Now just an hour more of work and then off home to start the carnage, too bad I couldn't get tomorrow off haha... :D

Well sounds like you guys will play much more relaxed then I am capable of playing so not sure you can really go wrong. Here are a few things that I did to make sure that I could cope with playing with my wife. (I use to be a fanatical gamer mind you and she does not play games)

1) Pre plan out BOTH builds and have it on PAPER so there is NOTHING to think about when you level. This REMOVES any stress on where to put points on either of you. You can still have hours of fun planning and she can too if she is into that but write it out so you don't have to worry about "messing up" in the game.

2) If you plan on playing these 2 characters through the ENTIRE game (meaning through NIOB) then I suggest you at least make sure they work well together in the later levels. When my wife and I first started out she took the BFG SEPH (we stumbled on this by accident really since she just wanted to play that character based on looks and we put 1 point into everything to test) and I took the Pyromancer elf.... well it could not have been more boring if I tried. My fire was completely worthless and unless we were fighting a boss I might as well have not been there. I was pretty much just there to help carry loot which got SUPER boring after a while.

3) I do all my wife's equipping of items, socketing, managing of points, runes, etc.... She loves just playing the game with me, killing stuff and having fun. She does NOT want to get bogged down in the minutia of character optimizing at all as it turns her off.

4) If you plan on playing through NIOB you will HAVE to have access to a shopper somehow, someway unless you don't mind dieing a LOT!

5) One combination that I think might be fun would be a shadow warrior army guy along with a high elf. This would give you guys some meat shields and both characters would be helpful through the entire mid to late part of the game.

If after a while you start playing and you simply would like to restart with the most powerful DUO available for 2 people co-op IMO, hit me up for my builds and I will pass them along. We started with nothing (although I did make a bargainer and ran him up with our guys to buy us stuff. if you are interested in doing that look up the DRYAD VD Bargain builds or hit me up as they are wicked easy/fast to level up) and we are cruising along in NIOB arguably easier then we did in SILVER! Other then 1 set piece of equipment, we are not using anything that we did not find ourselves on our main guys. Now my VD DRYAD shopper is a completely different story as I gladly accepted handouts to run him up with minimum gaming time. You other option would be to make one of your main characters a shopper (likely the high elf IMO).

Can you tell I enjoy talking about this game and strategizing even more then playing?! LOL

Well sounds like you guys will play much more relaxed then I am capable of playing so not sure you can really go wrong. Here are a few things that I did to make sure that I could cope with playing with my wife. (I use to be a fanatical gamer mind you and she does not play games)

1) Pre plan out BOTH builds and have it on PAPER so there is NOTHING to think about when you level. This REMOVES any stress on where to put points on either of you. You can still have hours of fun planning and she can too if she is into that but write it out so you don't have to worry about "messing up" in the game.

2) If you plan on playing these 2 characters through the ENTIRE game (meaning through NIOB) then I suggest you at least make sure they work well together in the later levels. When my wife and I first started out she took the BFG SEPH (we stumbled on this by accident really since she just wanted to play that character based on looks and we put 1 point into everything to test) and I took the Pyromancer elf.... well it could not have been more boring if I tried. My fire was completely worthless and unless we were fighting a boss I might as well have not been there. I was pretty much just there to help carry loot which got SUPER boring after a while.

3) I do all my wife's equipping of items, socketing, managing of points, runes, etc.... She loves just playing the game with me, killing stuff and having fun. She does NOT want to get bogged down in the minutia of character optimizing at all as it turns her off.

4) If you plan on playing through NIOB you will HAVE to have access to a shopper somehow, someway unless you don't mind dieing a LOT!

5) One combination that I think might be fun would be a shadow warrior army guy along with a high elf. This would give you guys some meat shields and both characters would be helpful through the entire mid to late part of the game.

If after a while you start playing and you simply would like to restart with the most powerful DUO available for 2 people co-op IMO, hit me up for my builds and I will pass them along. We started with nothing (although I did make a bargainer and ran him up with our guys to buy us stuff. if you are interested in doing that look up the DRYAD VD Bargain builds or hit me up as they are wicked easy/fast to level up) and we are cruising along in NIOB arguably easier then we did in SILVER! Other then 1 set piece of equipment, we are not using anything that we did not find ourselves on our main guys. Now my VD DRYAD shopper is a completely different story as I gladly accepted handouts to run him up with minimum gaming time. You other option would be to make one of your main characters a shopper (likely the high elf IMO).

Can you tell I enjoy talking about this game and strategizing even more then playing?! LOL

Well to be honest I'm gonna see how the lady likes the game before I put my mind to if I should plan her entire build or just help her make her own decisions. We'll just have to see. But I'm taking bargaining for my Inquisitor so we'll have that covered. It might even turn out (as when we played Borderlands) that she ruins her build completely but doesn't mind. If that's the case I'll take over, I just don't want to risk making it too... What should I call it... Too much of a job and too little of a game. We'll see how she reacts, but as of now it's HE and Inquisitor. I haven't told her but I have pretty much two complete builds but I don't want her to think about that too much before we actually play the game because I've been noticing even me talking about planning the stuff makes her worry about how complicated this is gonna be haha. I'm like you, I love planning in detail and analyzing and so on and so forth but time will tell if I'll get to do it for both of us or if I'll lure out the RPG'er hidden deep within her, it's in all of us, just needs a little nurturing ;) So for starters I'm gonna try and make the game as enjoyable for her as possible, how that is, only time can tell!

Thanks alot for all your input though, it's invaluable! I'll make sure to let you know if this is the turning point that makes her a gamer or if she'll never let me decide what game we buy again... :D