Hello all, new to the boards and would like some advice!

Well to be honest I'm gonna see how the lady likes the game before I put my mind to if I should plan her entire build or just help her make her own decisions. We'll just have to see. But I'm taking bargaining for my Inquisitor so we'll have that covered. It might even turn out (as when we played Borderlands) that she ruins her build completely but doesn't mind. If that's the case I'll take over, I just don't want to risk making it too... What should I call it... Too much of a job and too little of a game. We'll see how she reacts, but as of now it's HE and Inquisitor. I haven't told her but I have pretty much two complete builds but I don't want her to think about that too much before we actually play the game because I've been noticing even me talking about planning the stuff makes her worry about how complicated this is gonna be haha. I'm like you, I love planning in detail and analyzing and so on and so forth but time will tell if I'll get to do it for both of us or if I'll lure out the RPG'er hidden deep within her, it's in all of us, just needs a little nurturing :P So for starters I'm gonna try and make the game as enjoyable for her as possible, how that is, only time can tell!

Thanks alot for all your input though, it's invaluable! I'll make sure to let you know if this is the turning point that makes her a gamer or if she'll never let me decide what game we buy again... :D

Wow, you have hopes of turning her TO THE DARK SIDE... good luck with that! LOL

Yeah, I think you have a great strategy, go have fun and see where it takes you. That is how we started out as the SEPH and the HE. We both just picked and went but after a number of hours of realizing that if I didn't even bother to hit my attack button it made almost NO difference to our gaming experience I became frustrated and bored and had to plead for a "do over".

Where has this game been all my life? No seriously, I really enjoy this game, we had a blast last night even though it was really confusing at times and it took alot of getting used to menus and so on. But damn, this game rocks! Girlfriend seemed to get hooked right away, SHE was the one not wanting to go to bed at 1 AM when I get up to go to work at 6 AM :)

We decided to not go super serious on our first builds, although I am secretly pushing her towards a decent build albeit without telling her ;) Some things she's just better off not knowing, she really doesn't wanna be bothered with all the micro-managing anyway so generally I've been giving her two options for every choice, slanted towards the one I think is better and she happily accepts it as "her" choice haha, I'm evil ;)

She's going for a HE nuker, haven't decided which aspect yet but starting off with magic coup and dual buffage and so far it's working great. I'm going for an Eye of the Storm-build and loving it, couldn't resist laughing manically out loud when my Clustering Maelstrom made short work of a 10+ pile of kobolds ;) There's one thing I wonder though... The EOTS-build I've been glancing at stated the skill choices (in this specific order) Bargaining, Concentration, Combat Discipline, Astute Supremacy Lore and so forth... Is this even possible? How can you pick Concentration/CD before putting 5 points in a primary aspect skill? This has to be a slight error by the build creator, right? Anyway I went with Bargaining, then AS Lore and now I just got concentration so it's not like it was a gamebreaker, would be good to know for future references though if I run into this issue again.

Thanks again everyone for all the tips and pointers, you all helped make our game experience awesome from the get-go!

Haha good work orvar ;) your girlfriends seems alot like mine, she wants to make her own mind up.. And as much as she decided her own stats, I know it was my influences telling her what stats do what for her to make her mind up..

And about your inquisitor, like I said in a early post its all up to you, But I made a mage inquisitor using asitute supremacy and it didnt work so well for me, Using pure intelligence and focusing fully on Lore and focus, But Clustering Maelstrom only worked with a Very large amount of people and all other moves were totally useless, gruesome inquisition would be the best offer for your inquisitor, but its good to test it all out for yourself, maybe a mixture if you like that move, Gruesome Inquisition and Astitute Supremacy.. But I know when I tried that build it didnt work out so well for me, But if you find it works for you.. Tell us your build and let me know where I went wrong..

I think its a great idea that your girl took HE class cause shes wonderful, and my girlfriend absolutely loves her (aswell as her inquisitor) shes strong and with some defence skills shes durable aswell.. (in couch coop anyway) Pure Intelligence for HE and mix it up for Inquisitor (str and int) for Gruesome Inqusition and Astitute Supremacy.. All in all.. Work it all out for yourself.. But more importantly, Try to make your girlfriend stay keened up to playing... Cause my girl kind of got sick of starting over and over and over again lol... But shes learned alot and she loves it too...

Anyway Good luck with your future gaming, Look forward to hearing about the build you have created and how much you guys are enjoying your build! :);)

Cheers Orvar and best of luck bud.

Haha good work orvar :) your girlfriends seems alot like mine, she wants to make her own mind up.. And as much as she decided her own stats, I know it was my influences telling her what stats do what for her to make her mind up..

And about your inquisitor, like I said in a early post its all up to you, But I made a mage inquisitor using asitute supremacy and it didnt work so well for me, Using pure intelligence and focusing fully on Lore and focus, But Clustering Maelstrom only worked with a Very large amount of people and all other moves were totally useless, gruesome inquisition would be the best offer for your inquisitor, but its good to test it all out for yourself, maybe a mixture if you like that move, Gruesome Inquisition and Astitute Supremacy.. But I know when I tried that build it didnt work out so well for me, But if you find it works for you.. Tell us your build and let me know where I went wrong..

I think its a great idea that your girl took HE class cause shes wonderful, and my girlfriend absolutely loves her (aswell as her inquisitor) shes strong and with some defence skills shes durable aswell.. (in couch coop anyway) Pure Intelligence for HE and mix it up for Inquisitor (str and int) for Gruesome Inqusition and Astitute Supremacy.. All in all.. Work it all out for yourself.. But more importantly, Try to make your girlfriend stay keened up to playing... Cause my girl kind of got sick of starting over and over and over again lol... But shes learned alot and she loves it too...

Anyway Good luck with your future gaming, Look forward to hearing about the build you have created and how much you guys are enjoying your build! ;):)

Cheers Orvar and best of luck bud.

If you build a "random build" that doesn't really have a plan you will eventually be hitting the "reset button" on those characters but I can see that process being fun if she is down for COUNTLESS hours of replaying the same parts of the game on the same difficulty levels.

Wife and I played for around 1 hour today for first time in at least a month or more and had a good time. It was funny because it took us a while to remember what buttons did what. She had a very hard time with her 3 buffs! LOL

Anyways, wanted to comment on one thing that I had not mentioned yet that I believe is the key reason we ROCK with little chance of death. The KNOCKBACK mod on my Darting Assault plus a little more off of a couple of socketed rings REALLY makes the game safe. Half the time I end up pushing the bad mobs further away from us then before I started shooting.... We are now at the island before the last part called Dyr-Laigh. Things could get a lot tougher here with those dudes that shoot lightning at us. I will keep you all posted as I hope we get to play some more this weekend/week. I hope to finish the game very soon if possible. I believe our level 110 is enough.... wait, let me get back at you after we get hit by some lightning dudes who to date have been the scariest guys in the game thus far. Heck, my wife can't even hit them.

If you build a "random build" that doesn't really have a plan you will eventually be hitting the "reset button" on those characters but I can see that process being fun if she is down for COUNTLESS hours of replaying the same parts of the game on the same difficulty levels.

Well I wouldn't say "random build"... I don't think spending two points in armor lore at level 12 instead of 2 points in concentration et cetera is going to bork our builds and so far it hasn't ;) We're a great complement to eachother and so far we haven't hit and rock walls at all :o Sure, I haven't planned every levels skill choice in detail but we both have a rough idea of what our builds should accomplish and I'm gonna leave it at that for now. I'd rather see us having fun on the way (atleast the first time around ;) ) than having a really boring time until we "complete" our builds or whatnot. Besides, if we DO screw it up we'll get the chance to try a new class :)

Appreciate all your input though, helped alot!

Just my two cents here. Most people seem to recommend a bfg seraphim or a dryad, and I have both. The seraphim is generally stronger offensively. She can also be a strong defensive character with Divine Protection, Warding Energy etc. But these are not once and done skills. You have to constantly recast Divine Protection, and Warding Energy does fail sometimes.

On the other hand, my dryad is the strongest defensive character I've ever built. She has ~20k armor, ~25K hitpoints, ~9k defense. Bottom line she doesn't die. This might be something to consider since you said your gf is a bit clueless with this type of game.

I forgot to mention the Dryad also has the Combat Art Goldenglade Touch, which is an insanely powerful healing spell, and imo, one of the best combat arts in the game. It regenerates mass hitpoints in a hurry. Great if you get surrounded, or for boss fights.

Edited by warlock_00