Is the Sacred International Forum offline at the moment ?

Very strange this... I just tried now and got the error message. Then I tried again not more than a minute later and the SIF loaded. There's only two different causes I've ever seen for this and they would be either a server move or a dysfunctional hop along the trace route from home users to SIF host. In the case of a dysfunctional hop the error would be intermittent and for some there would be no error at all.

I'm not sure what Powerpyx would mean about renewing entries. I've never heard of anything like. Probably lost in translation I'd gather.

There is a way to force our connections to the SIF for those in dire need. It's a matter of editing your computers HOSTS file to associate the SIF's IP to it's name. It's a handy trick our host taught me while we were without a domain name temporarily. We'd just need the SIF's IP # which isn't generally freely available. It's found in Cpanel I think and if the SIF even uses Cpanel.

P.s.

This might do the trick. Add to your HOSTS file:

81.3.59.110 forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com

HOSTS file is found in your folder:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

P.p.s.

Seems to be working fine for me. Well nothing blew up anyway, haha. Keep in mind that IF the SIF is in the process of being moved to a new domain name or server that you will never see that change unless you undo the change made to your HOSTS file. So in a few days it would be wise to take out the line you added and see if you are able to connect to the SIF. If you can without the HOSTS file edit then all is well again. ^^

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off I couldn't connect to the SIF.

So I made a copy of the hosts file first and then followed Schots advice.

Sure enough I was then able to connect to the SIF. :)

But then I then deleted the hosts file that I had modified and replaced it with the original.

and for whatever reason I can still get into the SIF....weird. :D

edit:

nope...after closing the browser and then trying again I couldn't get in (404 error).

Seems it must have just been in the browsers cache before.

Edited by stubbie

It hasn't worked for me since I last posted on it at 3.00am last night. So it seems to be a dns issue somewhere, we shouldn't have to edit our host files to get on.

I think it's both a DNS and a server availability issue.

Schot - that IP address you posted is for the German forum. The English forum is at 208.68.139.38, at least according to dig:

;; ANSWER SECTION:

forum.sacred-game.com. 224 IN A 81.3.59.207

;; ANSWER SECTION:

forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com. 0 IN A 208.68.139.38

Browsing the IP directly works for the German forum, does not work for the English forum. My guess is it's down hard.

You're right about the GSF IP but from my end that IP you have for the SIF does not work where as the IP I posted above for the SIF works perfectly for me. If you'd like to try it yourself real quick you can put the below IP into your Browser Address Bar and you'll be taken to the SIF:

EDIT: Sorry, as it turns out you can't test the IP from the address bar. It will only work in the HOSTS file.

Do the following to be able to browse to the SIF;

Add to your HOSTS file:

P.s.

The IPs I posted on the GSF are the ones that are working for me.

P.p.s.

This is looking like a Comcast DNS server issue that only Comcast can resolve.

hi

I accessed my email today, and it said that someone had answered a post on the sacred forum, so I click the link to read the post, and it said internet explorer 8 cannot display the page, check your connection. something like that, I only ever use internet explorer, I am loyal to it, I don't have any other browsers, and I prefer separate windows for each web site.

I clicked some of the links in this topic, and yea the german site worked for me, but unfortunity, I don't know the german language, I only know english.

Could always be a weekend thing, it might be back next week. Are there Deepsilver forums we can report it on?

It would suck if it was gone as it would be the second forum I regularly visit that has died this year, and I am starting to run out of places to chat on :(

Schot beat me too it: DS Forums. Since the link on their forums leads to SIF, its a mystery still.

Edited by colif

Other forums? if yer thinking of the German one I doubt anything will happen there.

Hmm, hope it's not the servers turn already.

Edited by Spunky

Well it's looking not nearly as bad as it looked when this started. I've done a bit of searching and found some stuff that will clear this problem up a bit. Well make sense of it anyway. From what I could find it appears as though a German company by the name of dnstream.com is the SIF's domain name registrar. What that means is that Ascaron originally registered and paid for the SIF's domain name (forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com) through dnstream.com. Domain Names are often paid for a renewed annually. In the SIF's case it looks as though it's domain name expired this past February 10th and when a Domain Name expires it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong... You can read from domaintools.com's records that a change was made to the SIF's domain name state into what it calls REDEMPTION PERIOD. REDEMPTION PERIOD generally means that the overdue domain name is being given a 1 month grace period for the owner to renew it before it's registrar, dnstream.com, deletes it.

As for Deep Silver I'm not surprised they didn't see this coming. They took a lot on when they adopted everything to do about Sacred. On top of that the change in status happened this past Friday which means not much at all can happen until Monday since someone at Deep Silver will need to authorize a payment to renew the domain name.

As Colif pointed out I posted about the problem on Deep Silver's forums so I guess we'll learn more tomorrow or the next day.

Enjoy the break SIF. ^^

P.s.

In the meantime this workaround works perfectly:

Add to your HOSTS file:

Oh my god

lol, someone forgot to pay the bill

:(

It's actually on of my scariest nightmares...if we forget to renew on SacredWiki or DarkMatters... and it gets bought by someone else in that smallest eye blink of time

:unsure:

gogo

Damn vista won't let me save the hosts file after I make the changes, does it help not to be in a browser at the time?

The other forum I mentioned in my post has same problem, the owners there appear to have gone awol and though me and another moderator had been paying to keep site alive, its not working now. In the last few months forums I have spent ages on posting have just disappeared.

It wasn't set to read only in vista, instead I had to change the security permissions for the file before I could save it. Only system had access to that file. Since I still have UAC set, I am not running as Admin.

I hope they fix it as having access to it is nice but knowing other people can't get on defeats the purpose of a forum. I don't use them to talk to myself, I don't need an echo chamber.

Edited by colif

I hear you colif, and that's the thing... posting there right now is like posting in a vacuum. We do need our Sacred International forum. It's Monday today, hopefully someone will remember to pay the fees for the url... this isn't something that should go down for someone forgetting to pay the twenty bux.

oh, and btw....

Baaaaaaaaaaaaa deepsilver

shame shame shame shame

:D

gogo

Well this just gets wierder. I just pinged the SIF using it's IP and I'm getting a response so it's still sitting there... Trying to browse to the SIF now only sends me to the GSF. It seems someone has made a redirect for anyone using the SIF's IP address to gain access like we were. Notice that the IP I gave to the SIF is 81.3.59.110 but when you use that in your HOSTS file you will be sent to 81.3.59.207. The GSF's IP address. I'm assuming someone at Deep Silver got my message and redirected the IP. Which is not a solution unless you are wanting to hide something, haha.

I dunno what's going on over there but whatever it is something must be up. Stranger still is no word from Llama here but he did make a post or two yesterday here. He's being suspiciously quiet in this topic. Sorry Llama. ^^