Not a beauty

Hello darkmatters.org community, welcome to the "NamelessBeast FAQ" aka "introduction." I followed the questionnaire proposed by Aurora in another thread,

http://darkmatters.org/forums/lofiversion/...x.php/t473.html

and added a few questions, which I marked with an asterisk. *

Name 3 words that other people use to describe you?

"Ugly backfighting b...." © my bro. Edit: If that's not clear, the last word is not "beast."

*Why did you join darkmatters.org?

Because it seems to be more "mature" than sacred2.com

Edit: reference to a certain user deleted

Abusive users and annoying "1337" guys/gals are a rare sight on DarkMatters, and all the guides on sacred2.com (along with many well-mannered Sacred 2.com users) seem to be at Darkmatters as well.

What is something that gets on your nerves?

Ignorance, abusive l33t5p34k3r5, mails full of typos (one+ per line), 60% of sacred2.com/battlenet users ;-)

What makes you cry?

Having to dig through 3 megabytes of gfx (on 56k modem) just to read one 100-char message on someone's blog, and then it's about who's with who at the moment, or who split up...

What is your first memory? - Duh... I forgot it. ;-)

What level of education have you completed?

Ph. D. (That's Physics Doctor, not Money Doctor. j/k)

*What sports do you like?

Skiing. Cross-country, to be exact.

Yes, "the boring kind." But I don't spend half my time on the lift. (If you don't get it... it's an ongoing war between downhill and cross-country enthusiasts.)

Do you have any siblings? - A brother.

*Do you have any pets? - Two cats.

*Their hobbies? - clicking the mouse, running across the keyb/luehntfqwhurtyfoard. STOP IT ALREADY!

Favourite milkshake flavour? - I don't like any of them.

What do you look like? - "Leaden Juggernaut" says it all.

Edit: That used to be my "element" when I had a lower post count. Let's say I'm 10% gial's avatar (on sacred2.com) and 90% Tyne Daly.

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? - As tall as my cousin ;-)

Can you speak a foreign language? - English and German, and I can read some Latin and French. And I understand that Yaga wrote that he can "speak and write Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and English" without even knowing whether Yaga wrote it in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or (j/k)English.

If you could build a house anywhere, where would it be? - On Mars. If I could...

What is your favourite article of clothing? - Shoes. Need to say more?

What was the last CD you bought? - SimCity 4k. Mayor name: Meg A. Lopolis.

Do you believe in an afterlife?

If that's ok with the forum rules about "things we don't speak of" (religion), I'd answer "no."

If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Phase Shift. (Let's face it, Superman. Flight is lame. Sorry.)

Do you have any tattoos or piercings? - Fell into a rosebush last week. Does that count?

*What is your favorite quote? - "I'm not that vain..." (Duke Nukem)

Do you have a personal motto? - "Audiatur et altera pars": Both sides shall be heard.

Yes, even my brother. Sometimes... ;-)

May I greet the guys and gals which I've read on both darkmatters.org and sacred-game.com:

AgentSmith5150, Aurora, Batman, bhj, Bondbug, Chareos Rantras, claudius, colif,

Dobster, DreDBanGeR (who is a pain in the fingers to type),

erialc, Genenut, gial, gogoblender, Knuckles, Llama8, Putrescine, rOOster, Rotluchs,

Schot, Scleameth(is that tznet_brolly in your sig pic?), Silearth, SolomonGrundy,

Spunky, Stéphane, stubbie, Tharkane, Therion X, Timotheus, wimpy, ~Liet~.

Special greetings go to:

Bondbug ( "Were in central France, a bit left of Bulgaria" o_O )

gial (Your advice is GOLD... Whenever I read you, I'm impressed)

gogoblender (for running the forums - a great resource indeed)

Rotluchs (for your portrait - I've put it onto my desktop)

Schot (for running the forums - a great resource indeed)

Silearth (great fanfic-writing skills - how many points did you put there?)

Edit: questions removed for easier reading, now that they are quoted within DragonBrother's(#4) and Schot's(#10) replies.

Having said that, I want to share a little tip with other modem users: the "IP Board" skin is much easier on the modem than the Sacred skin.

NamelessBeast Over.

Edited by NamelessBeast
If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Phase Shift. (Let's face it, Superman. Flight is lame. Sorry.)

As of now, I have some questions to the veteran users as well:

-Is there a FAQ section about forum usage on darkmatters.org? (A FAQ would probably answer a lot of the following questions, too.)

Im not sure...

I am searching for the basic stuff: how to quote other messages (I clicked the "+quote" button, and it only changed into "-quote" - Huh?) and how to send and receive private mail.

Do I use my e-mail app for these, I.e. do they appear in my inbox, etc?

To quote someone, click on reply below their post. To PM someone click on their username above their display pic and select send message

-Can I upload an image so that it will appear next to my name, or can I only choose between some ready-made images?

Click on my controls on which is located on the blue bar below the FDM logo at the top of the page, then select edit avatar settings on the left of the page that loads

-What is the work space in my configuration panel? Can I put text there so that other users can read it, or is it just a clipboard area which isn't visible to them?

Not sure, I think its used to store info for yourself

-On the "Members online today" list, some member names are different shades of blue, red, or even bold/italic. What does red mean? Italic = forum admin? Why are some names "more blue than others", to quote Orwell?

I think blue italics are supporting members, red are fellowship members and plain blue are everyone else

-Can I post on lo-fi version as well, or does lo-fi = read-only ?

No idea...schot?

-What is a "hot topic"? Do I have to be 18+ to open it? (Seriously, I think that it's a different kind of "hot topic". But what is it? Some recent posting activity, many views, or both?)

Nah, its more a way of telling if there are new posts since you last checked the forums.

-Is posting into a "pinned" topic considered a bad move? I did already (the password topic). Should I private-mail the thread creator instead?

Nope, not really, if you have a question someone else may have the question to so any conclusions are arrived at are there for all to see...at least thats my opinion

-How can I pick an element (like chrome, helium, radium, etc.)?

Do you mean under your profile pic? Like chromium defender? They just change as you make more posts, the more you post, the more your titles change.

-Of course, if any of these questions are answered in the FAQ, please don't hesitate to drop me a link to it. I won't consider an answer like

"http://darkmatters.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t123456.html"

impolite at all. (Provided that it does answer my Q, that is...)

Thanks in advance.

Having said that, I want to share a little tip with other modem users: the "IP Board" skin is much easier on the modem than the Sacred skin.

NamelessBeast Over.

Ok, firstly...how can flight be lame:)

Nice intro though :ike: Welcome to the boards.

Answers to you're questions are in blue in the quote. Hope thats everything you wanted.

Many thanks.

I think I found the PM inbox: the link named "New Messages", next to "My Controls".

Having said that, about 90% (rather than 40%) of the posts on sacred-game are fine, probably because many abusive types (I.e. "register-->post some fecal matters-->ban" life cycle) post very little, or the admins nuke their posts very quickly.

About ready-made images: Thanks, you didn't write an answer, but your portrait answers it.

About FAQ section: the Search feature doesn't work with a TLA(3-letter acronym). I'm going to try the words "frequently asked questions" then.

About flight = lame: why flight if you can get there instantly? And there is no "chance to trap phase-shifters" item mod either (in Sacred).

I wouldn't claim that "OMG, PS pWNS flight" or anything like that, but flight is O(N) locomotion while PS is O(1).

I found out that the format tags resemble HTML tags, but with square brackets replacing angle brackets. Going to search for more info - I've found tables so far.

Edit: Removed the table test - didn't work out.

NamelessBeast Over.

Edited by NamelessBeast

Ah ha...you found us Nameless! By this time you've likely noticed the industrial grade flypaper adorning our walls.

Ash, great job with the answers... lol, I got scared when I first read them all in Nameless's opening post...then breathed a huge sigh of relief when reading all your answers.

I'm only on my first cup of coffee you know :)

Welcome to Darkmatters Nameless

:(

gogo

That was a great post, and not just because it was the first time someone mentioned me in their first post....

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard the crazy train Beast. :oooo: Nice intro indeedy.

1. Is there a FAQ section about forum usage on darkmatters.org? (A FAQ would probably answer a lot of the following questions, too.)
  2. I am searching for the basic stuff: how to quote other messages (I clicked the "+quote" button, and it only changed into "-quote" - Huh?) and how to send and receive private mail. Do I use my e-mail app for these, I.e. do they appear in my inbox, etc?
  3. Can I upload an image so that it will appear next to my name, or can I only choose between some ready-made images?
  4. What is the work space in my configuration panel? Can I put text there so that other users can read it, or is it just a clipboard area which isn't visible to them?
  5. On the "Members online today" list, some member names are different shades of blue, red, or even bold/italic. What does red mean? Italic = forum admin? Why are some names "more blue than others", to quote Orwell?
  6. Can I post on lo-fi version as well, or does lo-fi = read-only ?
  7. What is a "hot topic"? Do I have to be 18+ to open it? (Seriously, I think that it's a different kind of "hot topic". But what is it? Some recent posting activity, many views, or both?)
  8. Is posting into a "pinned" topic considered a bad move? I did already (the password topic). Should I private-mail the thread creator instead?
  9. How can I pick an element (like chrome, helium, radium, etc.)?

Of course, if any of these questions are answered in the FAQ, please don't hesitate to drop me a link to it. I won't consider an answer like

"http://darkmatters.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t123456.html" impolite at all. (Provided that it does answer my Q, that is...)

1. Unfortunately we don't have an extensive FAQ section. I covers the basics but it would certainly be nice to have more. More is always better. ^^ For the most common questions though there is most likely a topic about it so a quick search might bring something up.
  2. Speaking of search here on FDM... Something that I would suggest is that first time search users should click on the link
    Advanced Usage Help. You can always find that link while doing an advanced search. It provides some basics on how to make the search do what you want it to. Of notable use is the asterisk. Putting an asterisk at the end of your criteria will often give better results than no asterisk. For example; Uniques*.
    • Quoting has always been kinda tricky with our software, heh. Quick rule of thumb; to quote a single post click the "reply" button directly below said post; to quote multiple posts click the "+quote" button under each of the posts you want to quote and then click the "Add Reply" button at either the very bottom of the topic or the top. There is also a quote button available while posting. If you hover your mouse over each of the small square buttons some text will appear to describe what each button does.

[*]Uploading avatars for the time being is turned off

[*]Do you mean "Your personal note pad"? That's for your eyes only. ^^

[*]For the colours on the users online list it goes like this; Blue-Grey are Members, Bold Royal Blue are people who have made donations, Bold Navy Blue are FDM staff and Red are Clan [D.a.r.k] Members.

[*]lo-fi is indeed read only but when we upgrade our forum software you will be able to lo-fi reply.

[*]A Hot Topic is a topic that has reached 15 posts. No dancing girls required. ^^

[*]If it's open then it's good to go. We have a general phylosophy of not closing topics here on FDM in order to let everyone get their say in. A few are closed and that's only to maintain the integrity of important information. Pinned topics are perfectly fine to post in.

[*]Only through mixing your solutions on the forum can you alter your state. More posts means a new state. :yay:

Sorry if someone already answered a question in there. I just quote grabbed the list and started working away at it, haha.

P.s.

While in Full Edit mode, (making a post but not using the quick reply method), you should see a link called BB Code Help. It offers a wealth of info regarding our various BB Codes.

Thanks all for answering my questions so patiently. Wish I could give you a cup of coffee in return, or better yet, an espresso machine.

Nice idea Optimus, er, Schot to add numbers to my questions. I'll use that format from now on.

1. Perhaps I can make a FAQ of my own. My modem advice and Schot's explanation on the quote and search features would go there, for example. Perhaps the section "DarkMatters: Rules, Feedback, RSS Feed" could accomodate the FAQ section as well. Then the "READ BEFORE JOINING!" (I.e. rules) and "Recommended for new users" would be close together. Just a thought.

2. The problem is that some keywords are outlawed, for example "FAQ" and "HTML"... I'd really like to search for these two, even if there's another anti-bot test per search, maybe? (like the one on the registration form)

I checked for BB Code... It is basically HTML, I.e. if you know how to write HTML, BB Codes are about the same.

4. Oops... I thought of a place where I can put some info which doesn't appear within my sig, but which anyone can read by clicking my name. But then again, I can make my sig clickable and link to my homepage... that would serve the same purpose.

7. So it it becomes hot, it'll stay hot forever (unless someone deletes a post, that is)? No time window required?

9. Can I go back, say if I want to be a "Leaden Juggernaut" again? On a related note, is there a title for users with zero posts? I hope it's not "Nitrous Noob" :giggle:

Sorry guys and gals, but there are some more questions:

10a. I seem to waste space on your excellent forum, for example above and below my sig line, "Not a beauty", there are several blank lines which I would like to remove. But they don't appear in the edit window. You (all of you) seem to have the same eight blank lines in your posts (for example, between "gogo" and gogo's sig pic). But I waste even more space: ~100 pixels (guesstimated) between the sig line and the edit/quote/reply toolbar. Is my browser (IE6) bugged, or am I doing something wrong?

10b. Can I keep the small font size I see in the edit window? The font size alone is enough to inflate all my posts to at least double size.

Edit: No more questions about User 0001. It's my brother... talk about small world syndrome.

12. Thanks.

12a. Thanks Katran. Nice to see a staff member 'merely' greeting. (So that means my intro is ok with the FDM rules, or you would have told me, I suspect.)

12b. DragonBrother, thanks for debating superpowers with me, and not getting upset about my "flight=lame" line. I still have to adapt to the friendly and polite atmosphere here on darkmatters, which is a refreshing change after some IRC / DII stints.

12c. Greetings gogo, enjoy your :coffee: , and Schot for the really verbose answers. Many are the admins who let the "lesser" users and moderators do the biddings of a new users. You are not.

12d. And of course, thanks to Spunky, stubbie and Silearth for saying hello to a new member.

13. (this number intentionally left blank - one never knows...)

Edit: I deleted all references to two certain sacred2.com users. It didn't belong here at all... it only distracted.

15. R mi posts 2 long?

NamelessBeast Over.

Edited by NamelessBeast