Finally going to do it.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five days smoke free and doing rather well in my opinion. I've noticed an increase in lung capacity, less frequent coughing (still working on getting rid of a cold from last week as well as not smoking). My sleep is a bit off, either I'm not needing as much, or I'm breathing better so that the sleep I do get has been better for me.

*hugs* Congrats to you Furian67 and belated grats to you Gogo and schot!

As an asthmatic married to one with a sister with it bad and alot of other family members , (lord's side of the family has alot of heart disease including his mom) this is a big issue in our house and I'm very glad to add 3 new members to the non smoking crowd :-)

on a similar theme I have started an exercise/eating better program. I wear my pedometer from when I get up to when I go to bed. I'm up to 5+ miles a day of walking (average person not walking on purpose for exercise gets about a mile a day walking for reference) .. day 3, 5, today , *g*, all start off tough, but I keep finding a way to get moving again but I know where you guys are or have been. ( I have a couple of herniated discs and Plantar fasciitis so walking is not the easiest thing for me some mornings). sitting at my computer instead of going for a walk at the end of work would be so much easier but Im finding the will power to keep doing it. Im not as sore anymore in the mornings from the walking so Im starting to see progress.

Thanks very much. Small steps on the execise, weekly progress is the key. Slow and stead progress works better than the freak on the street exercise king.

Find a soft drink that really makes smoke taste vomitous. Something like mint, the green 'menthe' we have in France. Take a sip any time you need to.

For what it is worth I gave up smoking about 35 years ago. I am 81 and going strong (touch wood).

As a matter of interest ... can people actually play Sacred and smoke at the same time?

Good luck. Never give up on this one. It is well worth the short term hassle.

What are you going to do with the cash you save?

Australia just passed a new tax on smoking, soon a pack of 20 will cost $20 per pack.

that's one way to make people quit. I thought is was bad here at $5

$5 a pack.... you must live in a smokers paradise. We pay $10 a pack now, I think that's like $8 American.

Day 6 is smoke free. Actually haven't had much craving at all after the first day. Everything else is more a find something constructive to do with my time instead of smoking. Breathing is so much better.

Day 6 is smoke free. Actually haven't had much craving at all after the first day. Everything else is more a find something constructive to do with my time instead of smoking. Breathing is so much better.

Very well done, keep up the good work!

Grats on deciding to give up the cancer sticks Furian67.

I did the same about 10 years ago after about 25 years of puffing on the buggers.

I decided to give up when one morning I got out of bed and went to the bathroom and coughed up the foulest looking bit of green gunk.

I thought to myself........ do I want to be around long enough to see my kids grow up and get married?

The answer was yes, so it was easy for me to stop.

I can only hope it will as easy for you.

Good luck :)

Good to hear that you're doing fine :)

BTW, how long have you been a smoker?

I've been a smoker on and off for many years. Usually smoke for around 2 years then I'll quit for awhile. Would usually start back up when I was in Military and away from home. This last time smoking has been the worst. Seems each time my lungs get worse than the time before. My body is talking to me. I got the wax out of my ears this time. I know If I pick up the habit again it will most likely kill me. And the worst part about it all is I truelly think that last statement is true. It's really sad what I've allowed to happen to my body in the last two years.

Grats! Keep up the good work. :D

Grats! Keep up the good work. :bounce:

Thanks Gene, It's a day by day thing. once in a while ( few times a day) I get this urge. but then I remember the post from way above Here it isabout how your body changes every day if you don't smoke. And I just realized today while taking a nap, that I don't hear myself breathe anymore. I used to hear my lungs weezing. Man o man do my lungs feel better already and only after 7 days.

Day 12 Woot Woot. Doing really well. I can breath so much better, rarely cough anymore when I do it's productive. Seems my energy level is higher and I get around so much better.

Good, good!

And the urge to fire up a cig is gone?

Well I thinks it like 90% gone. As soon as get that twinge I also realize how much better I can breath. And then I take a deep breath and the urge is gone.

Thank you very much, feels great to be able to breath again. Today I noticed my sence of smell coming back. At work someone standing about five feet away from me started peeling a banana. I turned around and saw them, the smell was wonderful. It's wierd but at the same time I didn't think my sence of smell had gotten that bad.

Kicking up this thread Furian...you are loved!

kick that pack a smokes to the moon mate, we be a rootin!

It was at this point of my non smoking that food became from having been a full time micro fraction of a femto second obsession.

Food food food

Can you tell?

Reach for the breadsticks mate

:)

gogo

Thanks Gogo. Not sure about the taste buds yet but my nose is for sure on over load and working great again. The differant smells I'm noticing are wonderful. Well.... in a sense that's something I need to watch out for too. At work today I happened to walk past a couple of ladies that work upstairs in the office area (I'm just a grunt mechanic fixing machines) and the scent of their perfume as they walked by had me all weak in the knees... had to grab the wall for support! It was like Sweet Kryptonite walked by.

Hey hey 23 days smoke free wooohooo. Actually feels like it's been longer but it's been a fairly easy transistion. I believe that was due to the definate decision to quit. I think this is one of those things that you can't do halfassed.

Take out an old school calender, one that hangs up on the wall. The months really feel good when its passes by.

Chalk that one up to Schot

I feel taht every month that goes by is like something I possess, a treasure. Earned and worked hard for.

:P

gogo