I'm wrecked. Heart broken. Feeling betrayed, tricked and duped all at once.

This is the biggest ripoff movie I've seen in years...maybe my life. The hype just makes it worse...keeps twisting that dagger deep in my armpit over and over and boy does it hurt.

When I exited the movie I felt like I had a secret that I had to hide.

And while one of my friends was repeating "I see you!" and pointing over and over again to all of us, all of this accompanied by friendly jibes... I had to hide my face...what if they see...what if they know!

It took me a few days before I could shamefacedly admit to everyone that I felt that we had been duped, that soma must been piped through the ventilators as the film was playing...drugs in the popcorn, extra sweetener in the soft drinks...anything... but... that this movie was not good.

This is the movie that I cannot remember more than two scenes from, don't remember a single of the characters' names from, did not find myself wanting to jump up and punch air while yelling a line..

nothing

flat line

It felt like he knew he had made a bomb then cashed in all his favors to have it rated well by critics.

Depressing being told that this was the movie of the century, after reading all those reviews... reviews that touted this as being important, celebratory of a future...

C'mon guys...are you kidding me?

The effects were so unappreciated by me.They looked so...normal. I was waiting to get thrilled...to be surprised, to see something that would have me giggle in my seat and let me know that I was privileged to see something on the edge of wonder.

I wanted Star Wars

I wanted Matrix

Instead?

I got a hokey version of "Ferngully in Space" with perhaps the most devastating story line ever put to cinema. I'm a huge fan of sci fi, animation, I am ready to "give" for effects driven movies.. but c'mon... please everyone be honest here....

Really think about it... what from this movie is anything like the way we felt after watching Matrix? And not just the first Matrix...but then number two and then, number three...number three who's battle tween the octobots and humans... dying, crying out, fighting the last battle of humanity.

We all know that was good... I can't even remember one scene from Avatar that brought on half the emotion I felt when watching matrix.

Roger Ebert has been bought off... for him to spout such things as "I felt like I was watching Star Trek again..."

HAHAHAHAH

Either he needs an advance on his pay, or someone threatened him to type that.

It's funny because all my friends watched it with me (we're huge sci fi buffs) and now... some while later... I love teasing them about how they all lied about how they liked it...how they kept this secret... how they bought the marketing for a very boring, very badly voice acted movie with a completely unforgettable score ( is anyone gonna remember it? Come on *rolls eyes*...)

I can already see this movie being forgotten, swallowed up by consumers, part of the huge holy wood money parade.

Compare this movie for what it is to what Star Wars when it came out.. Harrisson Ford for godssake

Matrix with a story line that gripped, effects that rocketed all of us to the ceiling when it first appeared...which had kids all over the globe caught up in the ultimate martial arts craze which has still not left us.

I so wanted to like this movie. Cameron has this marvelous gift to do something that other directors have always failed at...making good sequels. He was always, for me, the Deus Ex Director... the one who was capable of producing a chair that would float down to earth as a gift from the gods, ready to save any possible movie from being bad. Our contemporary film magician, our celebrated visual Go To Guy. His revision of Terminator 2 and Aliens, both second parts of two films I adore were in fact movies that I think would even compete with being as good as the first. I was therefore feeling very surprised, resentful and somewhat betrayed as this very long, boring tale kept plodding along.

I just couldn't emotionally buy into anything that Avatar was trying to throw at me. Mediocre (I thought) visuals, terrible storyline... how can I be asked to grasp something and shout for joy when a movie fails so miserably on both visual and cognitive levels? How can I celebrate a movie if I don't think anything it's proposing is particularly intelligent other than a new and clever corporate buy line to "Go Green!"

There was no clever spin on any tale from humanity's past. No philosophical cud to walk away with and chew on that was memorable. Nothing that I wanted to mimic, emulate or discuss avidly about with any of my friends as we left the theater. Nothing in me was jogged or even asked to think about anything other than accept what was touted as great work. When in fact if we compare it to past work done with other movies either regarding effects, or storyline, Avatar is obviously very medium fare.

I am very disappointed with this work. I was waiting for the third installment in soul excitement, for the next cinematic masterpiece that would surprise me as much as matrix and star wars. Both films that represented at their time, good story telling and effects. I was waiting for something that was going to make me laugh and clap my hands in the theater because I was convinced that someone had made a break through.

Sorry... there isn't one here.

:(

gogo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

c'mon - it wasn't THAT bad.

There were some good parts. but you hadda know going inthat this movie was mostly about the 3D visual effects than the story line.

It no "Matrix" or "Serenity" or "Aliens" but it also isn't "Clash of the Titans" (the remake) either.

Too each their own I guess gogo. Personally, I enjoyed the film, but while I didnt think it was the best one Ive ever seen it was pretty darn good. But I bet if you googled it there would be blogs devoted to its horrificness or somesuch things.

One really really bad movie.

I'm wrecked. Heart broken. Feeling betrayed, tricked and duped all at once.

This is the biggest ripoff movie I've seen in years...maybe my life. The hype just makes it worse...keeps twisting that dagger deep in my armpit over and over and boy does it hurt.

When I exited the movie I felt like I had a secret that I had to hide. And while one of my friends was repeating "I see you!" and pointing over and over again to all of us, all of this accompanied by friendly jibes... I had to hide my face...what if they see...what if they know!

It took me a few days before I could shamefacedly admit to everyone that I felt that we had been duped, that soma must been piped through the ventilators as the film was playing...that there must have been drugs in the popcorn, extra sweetner in the soft drinks...anything... but... that this movie was not good.

This is the movie that I cannot remember more than two scenes from, don't remember a single of the characters' names from, did not find myself wanting to jump up and punch air while yelling a line..

nothing

flat line

It felt like he knew he had made a bomb then cashed in all his favors to have it rated well by critics.

Depressing being told that this was the movie of the century, after reading all those reviews... reviews that touted this as being important, celebratory of a future...

C'mon guys...are you kidding me?

Someone give ma tissue.

:)

gogo

Don't worry mate, we are only 10 years into this century. I personaly didn't bother seeing it, I don't tend to watch hyped up movies... I mean any movie that needs that much smoke blown up It's a*s can't really be that good, or for that matter worth my time and money. My girlfriends brother went to see it 3 times, but not even the word of a 11 year old boy could get me to go see it (lol).

Edited by Hacksaw32

I tend to agree with you Gogo.

The characters, emotional development, storyline and pacing of the movie did absolutely nothing for me. I did enjoy the visuals but it was clearly an excuse to show how much money they could spend on a single film.

I watched the 'making of' on TV not long after I saw it and I think I enjoyed that more than the movie itself. It showed the sets, prop design, 3d, etc.

hahah

The effects were so unappreciated by me. lol, they looked so...normal. I was waiting to get thrilled...to be surprised, to see something that would have me giggle in my seat and let me know that I was privilleged to see something on the edge of wonder.

I wanted Star Wars

I wanted Matrix

Instead?

I got a hokey version of "Ferngully in Space" with perhaps the most devastating story line ever put to cinema. I'm a huge fan of sci fi, animation, I am ready to "give" for effects driven movies.. but c'mon... please everyone be honest here....

Really think about it... what from this movie is anything like the way we felt after watching Matrix? And not just the first Matrix...but then number and then, number three...number three who's battle tween the octobots and humans... dying, crying out, fighting the last battle of humanity.

We all know that was good... I can't even remember one scene from Avatar that brought on half the emotion I felt when watching matrix.

Roger Ebert has been bought off... for him to spout such things as "I felt like I was watching Star Trek again..."

HAHAHAHAH

lol, either he needs an advance on his pay, or someone really pushed him hard to type that.

It's funny because all my friends watched it with me (we're huge sci fi buffs) and now... some while later... I love teasing them about how they all lied about how they liked it...how they kept this secret... how they bought the marketing for a very boring, very badly voice acted movie with a completely unforgetable score ( is anyone gonna remember it? Come on *rolls eyes*...

I can already see this movie being forgotten, swallowed up by consumers, part of the huge holywood money parade.

Compare this movie for what it is to what Star Wars when it came out.. Harrisson Ford for godssake :)

Matrix with a story line that gripped, effects that rocketed all of us to the ceiling when it first appeared...which had kids all over the globe caught up in the ultimate martial arts craze which has still not left us.

Come on...lol, avatar...

give us a break

gogo

Strangely enough your making me want to go see this movie. Are you playing some kind of reverse psychology on us or something? it comes out on DVD this weekend. my boys 4 and 8 want to see it. I bet they will like it.

Hm... sorry to hear you disliked the movie so much, gogo. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Were it not for the swearing and destruction, I would imagine my kids would like it as well.

The animation and production values are top notch. The story was pretty basic, but the world was imagined well enough to make it interesting. You made a comment about how "normal" the effects seemed, and I think that's kinda the whole point. If the world is believable then somebody somewhere did their job in the animation/graphics department.

Personally, I'll be buying it on Blu-Ray when it comes out and watching it at least a couple more times. I didn't really pay any attention to the hype, and really just watched in the theater because it's what happened to be showing and was in 3D (something I'd never seen before). I liked it enough that I'll add it to my collection in high def so I can enjoy the high production values. To each their own, right? :)

Were it not for the swearing and destruction, I would imagine my kids would like it as well.

So Maybe not for my boys then. Is it any worse than Transformers 1 and 2?

I'm not sure about the Transformers question, as I haven't seen either of these movies... how old are your boys?

It was a while ago now that I watched Avatar, but some of it was a little overdone... I dunno. The whole story line overall is fairly mature in theme.

Hm... sorry to hear you disliked the movie so much, gogo. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Were it not for the swearing and destruction, I would imagine my kids would like it as well.

The animation and production values are top notch. The story was pretty basic, but the world was imagined well enough to make it interesting. You made a comment about how "normal" the effects seemed, and I think that's kinda the whole point. If the world is believable then somebody somewhere did their job in the animation/graphics department.

Personally, I'll be buying it on Blu-Ray when it comes out and watching it at least a couple more times. I didn't really pay any attention to the hype, and really just watched in the theater because it's what happened to be showing and was in 3D (something I'd never seen before). I liked it enough that I'll add it to my collection in high def so I can enjoy the high production values. To each their own, right? :)

think about how tense you were the first time you saw Aliens and the s.h*t started to hit the fan...like when the Marines and Ripley are backed into a room, and the little sensor is going off ..."ping" "ping" "ping" but no one can see anything (they were in the ceiling).

I was on the edge of my seat.

Avatar didn't really have anything like that.

Edited by gogoblender
think about how tense you were the first time you saw Aliens and the s.h*t started to hit the fan...like when the Marines and Ripley are backed into a room, and the little sensor is going off ..."ping" "ping" "ping" but no one can see anything (they were in the ceiling).

Avatar didn't really haev anything like that. It's more like, well...

Avatar was like a very pretty girl that sucks in bed...

Would you believe me if I told you that I haven't watched the Alien movies....? :)

No substance to the movie, hey? Eh, it was certainly cliche at points, but whatever. If nothing else, it's worth watching just to see what the end result of $400 million in budget looks like... and yeah, she must've been a very pretty girl. :)

Gogo I will have to say that I disagree with you on many points. Before I get down to them I will say that Avatar may not have been the best movie out there but the things you said where just putting the movie down for no reason.

First off to measure any movie to Star Trek, Star Wars, The Matrix or Lord of the Rings is just wrong. From all the movies in Skeletal Fortification history this may be the best in all aspects but even they cant be compared to each other thus nothing should be measured to them. Even when they came out they didnt become legends they became that over the years.

About the effects someone above said that when everything looks real and normal then someone did there job right. I have to agree with that. Plus there are only so many things you can do and call them original this days. Sure I think in the years to come there will be things that will still surprise us from the movie industry but the setting of avatar did not have room for that. Pus gogo you go back on what you said first you said the effects where 9 now they where bad,

The story. Well it wasnt bad you could call it simple but not bad. You get a main character who lost his brother on top of that he has a bad injury and cant walk. he is given a chance to walk again for start explore a new world and feel things he never felt before. Plus we get all the back to nature stuff which in truth has been talked about over the years but hasnt been explored on the big screen. So that in on it self more then the movie needs to bring something new to the table of Skeletal Fortification.

In truth you waited to long to see the movie gogo. You read to much about it plus you are a big JC fan and since he had his fingers in Alien, Terminator, The Abyss, Titanic and many more great movies you where hipped up to the point where it had to be everything YOU wanted it to be. Over the moths you heard and read about it you made your own story for sure and then the movie was a big let down. I know that once that happened to me I never dream anything about the movies that I want to see I leave and open mind and go in for the experience.

Last but not least this was a 3D popcorn movie dont forget that even JC is aloud to make one. :)

Avatar didn't really haev anything like that. It's more like, well...

I think you hit the nail on the head. You bring up good story writing and one simple excellent simple effect... the now-famous "ping" that precedes death by claws, hammer jaw or exploding eggs.

I so wanted to like this movie. Cameron has this marvelous gift to do something that other directors have always failed at...making good sequels. He was always, for me, the Deus Ex Director... the one who was capable of producing a chair that would float down to earth as a gift from the gods, ready to save any possible movie from being bad. Our contemporary film magician, our celebrated visual Go To Guy. His revision of Terminator 2 and Aliens, both second parts of two films I adore were in fact movies that I think would even compete with being as good as the first. I was therefore feeling very surprised, resentful and somewhat betrayed as this very long, ponderous tale kept plodding along.

I just couldn't emotionally buy into anything that Avatar was trying to throw at me. Mediocre visuals, terrible storyline... how can I be asked to grasp something and shout for joy when a movie fails so miserably on both visual and cognitive levels? HOw can I celebrate a movie if I don't think anything it's proposing is particularly intelligent other than a new and clever corporate buy line to "Go Green!"

There was no clever spin on any tale from humanity's past. No philosophical cud to walk away with and chew on that was memorable. Nothing that I wanted to mimic, emulate or discuss avidly about with any of my friends as we left the theater. Nothing in me was jogged or even asked to think about anything other than accept what was touted as great work. When in fact if we compare it to past work done with other movies either regarding effects, or storyline, Avatar is obviously very medium fare.

I am very disappointed with this work. I was waiting for the third installment in soul excitement, for the next cinematic masterpiece that would surprise me as much as matrix and star wars. Both films that represented at their time, good story telling and effects. I was waiting for something that was going to make me laugh and clap my hands in the theater because I was convinced that someone had made a break through.

Sorry... there isn't one here.

gogo

O.K. I watched it with my wife and kids last night. and I enjoyed it! Was it unpredictable? No, you knew what was gonna happen next, but I still wanted to see the next scene.

the visuals were breathtaking in my opinion. the detail and creativity was stellar. The story line honestly could have been a transplant from another movie. but the pacing was fast enough. the action and battle scenes were tense enough to keep my attention. I laughed, I cheered(even if just to myself) I chose sides and wanted to see the outcome. (it wasn't a surprise) but I didn't finish feeling cheated. I got what I expected which was a epic battle over good and evil.

with dramatic visuals, compare to Peter Jacksons's King Kong. I thought KK was a great movie too but you already knew the story right? there were no surprises but you wanted to see the action and visuals. Same with Avatar.

BTW the home version was not 3D. I have had my share of those recently with Alice and Dragon in theater in 3D. and while it is a cool effect, it takes away from the detail and stunning visuals just to give you an effect. So I prefer to see films in 2D on a HD screen.

O.K. I watched it with my wife and kids last night. and I enjoyed it! Was it unpredictable? No, you knew what was gonna happen next, but I still wanted to see the next scene.

the visuals were breathtaking in my opinion. the detail and creativity was stellar. The story line honestly could have been a transplant from another movie. but the pacing was fast enough. the action and battle scenes were tense enough to keep my attention. I laughed, I cheered(even if just to myself) I chose sides and wanted to see the outcome. (it wasn't a surprise) but I didn't finish feeling cheated. I got what I expected which was a epic battle over good and evil.

with dramatic visuals, compare to Peter Jacksons's King Kong. I thought KK was a great movie too but you already knew the story right? there were no surprises but you wanted to see the action and visuals. Same with Avatar.

BTW the home version was not 3D. I have had my share of those recently with Alice and Dragon in theater in 3D. and while it is a cool effect, it takes away from the detail and stunning visuals just to give you an effect. So I prefer to see films in 2D on a HD screen.

I'm pretty sure that I said exactly what you just said after I watched the movie: "The movie is awesome from a design and creative aspect." Because it is. There's got to be a huge amount of effort that goes into world crafting and asset creation and all that other stuff to make such a realistic (believable would be a better word?) world. :D

Yeah, we all know the story is a bit crap haha! Nothing original there, that's for sure. I didn't really go into it expecting a masterpiece in story telling... was expecting an action movie with cool effects and such. That's really all it is.

Ah thx GOGO.

Reading this thread made me absolutely have to see Avatar ... I would say rating 7 of 10.

Its ok movie - but not WOW wanna watch that one ten times , rofl.

Anyway you can find avatar online, no need to pay or go cinema to see it.

I found a nice HD version and watched it at home with beer , cigs and other nice needed stuff, that would get me life ban in cinema.

The graphics are cool , but the story are thin and you know whats going to happen all time, good family movie.

Edited by D-molisher