Just watched it on Blu-Ray (fiance bought it), and it really is a good show. Maybe I don't watch enough movies, so my standards are low, but I quite enjoy it. Not something I could watch over and over again though, mostly due to length.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahah

I can already see this movie being forgotten, swallowed up by consumers, part of the huge holywood money parade.

gogo

Hey Gogo

Check this out for news on the sequel: Avatar - The Sequel

Gotta love the irony! Avatar will be profitable and that's what will drive this new franchise.

I always try to ignore all of the hype when new movies come out. It's often the only way to keep from being disappointed. How many times have you left the theatre thinking, "that was good, but not worth all the hype"?

I'm planning on watching this one when it gets to Redbox, but I doubt that I'll buy it. Thanks to a couple of your comments, I'll think twice about letting my kids watch it.

I always try to ignore all of the hype when new movies come out. It's often the only way to keep from being disappointed. How many times have you left the theatre thinking, "that was good, but not worth all the hype"?

I'm planning on watching this one when it gets to Redbox, but I doubt that I'll buy it. Thanks to a couple of your comments, I'll think twice about letting my kids watch it.

The language was on the edge, and quite frankly wasn't necessary for the development of the story. but there are a few s-words, d-words, and maybe the b-word. I let my 4 and 8 year olds watch it. I cringed a few times when I heard a swear word.

otherwise I think its ok. compared to other hyped movies is not as bad as I though the PG-13 would be. Watch it by yourself first and then decide if the kids can see it. personally I don't think this is one I will let them watch again. just because of the language, but I am not regretting letting them see it once.

I rest my case. :cry:

This one is so true. Nice find Timo. Now I understand why my GF said Avatar wa slooking a lot like Pocahontas right after she watched it!

Max

The language was on the edge, and quite frankly wasn't necessary for the development of the story. but there are a few s-words, d-words, and maybe the b-word. I let my 4 and 8 year olds watch it. I cringed a few times when I heard a swear word.

otherwise I think its ok. compared to other hyped movies is not as bad as I though the PG-13 would be. Watch it by yourself first and then decide if the kids can see it. personally I don't think this is one I will let them watch again. just because of the language, but I am not regretting letting them see it once.

I thought the whole prolonged "stereotypical american blow stuff up" scene was a little heavy for the kids. Apparently my 9 year old watched it in the theater with her grandpa though (without me knowing... um, thanks Grandpa?!) and she liked it. Not sure what this says about kids today though....

• 2 weeks later...

It saddens me that people cannot enjoy films like this due to having expectations through the roof.

Not only should you not believe the hype, avoid it like the plague. Take this movie for what it is, a decent story, incredible visuals, great set pieces and a well crafted score.

You honestly expect to enjoy a film if all the while when watching it your brain is buzzing away comparing it to your expectations, pondering how the story matches up to your other favourites, analyzing it like a lab experiment?

For the record, I thought it was decent, 8/10 at least. A 'very very BAD' movie? Please...

This is an interesting challenge.

Can anyone name just ten things that will make this movie important and memorable for the next ten years?

I can do that for Matrix and Star Wars

For example, I can, just now, off the top of my head, come out with five quotes from matrix and Star Wars that everyone will go "OH YEAH!' to.

Is anything like this at all possible with Avatar... or is it just about as memorable as some kraft dinner with extra cheese on top?

coolgleamA.gif

gogo

p.s. rusto, movies are great to enjoy, and there are definitely very good, very important ones that have been made. Avatar is not one of them. If you undertake my challenge, you can see why it can't possibly begin to compare to the really really grea tones ^^ Hype is, is becoming, in a weird, contemporary manner, a part of the movie. It's easy to say "Don't believe the hype!' But I'm not sure what is meant by this... are we supposed to avert our eyes every time an ad plays? Stopper up our ears up with cotton every time my friend talks about a movie? How are we to know what is the difference between good hype and bad hype? This time around, the hype was hugely detrimental and served the movie badly, completely distorting it so that when I received what it had to give me I was disappointed.

And anything that's about as memorable as kraft dinner with cheese is very very bad :P

I would say thats an unfair challenge, seeing as how you've probably watched the Matrix 20x more than Avatar :P Obviously you're not going to remember as much, as clearly, from a film you've seen once. Especially if during that one viewing your mind was elsewhere, and I honestly dont think you let your self fully sink into Avatar. I enjoyed it, but I plan on watching it a few more times before saying anything more than 'it was good'.

One of the things I liked a lot about it though, was just the world. It was inspiring, and not many films these days have that affect on me. I rate that.

edit: I should add, that I went into this film not knowing much at all about it. I had been exposed to very little of the hype surrounding it =) As for how to deal with hype? Just ignore it? Its not that difficult :(

Edited by Rusto
This is an interesting challenge.

Can anyone name just ten things that will make this movie important and memorable for the next ten years?

I can do that for Matrix and Star Wars

For example, I can, just now, off the top of my head, come out with five quotes from matrix and Star Wars that everyone will go "OH YEAH!' to.

Is anything like this at all possible with Avatar... or is it just about as memorable as some kraft dinner with extra cheese on top?

coolgleamA.gif

gogo

p.s. rusto, movies are great to enjoy, and there are definitely very good, very important ones that have been made. Avatar is not one of them. If you undertake my challenge, you can see why it can't possibly begin to compare to the really really grea tones ^^ Hype is, is becoming, in a weird, contemporary manner, a part of the movie. It's easy to say "Don't believe the hype!' But I'm not sure what is meant by this... are we supposed to avert our eyes every time an ad plays? Stopper up our ears up with cotton every time my friend talks about a movie? How are we to know what is the difference between good hype and bad hype? This time around, the hype was hugely detrimental and served the movie badly, completely distorting it so that when I received what it had to give me I was disappointed.

And anything that's about as memorable as kraft dinner with cheese is very very bad :(

Lol Gogo. Is this the criteria by which you judge all movies? you must be disappointed a lot? so why pick on Avatar to express your disdain for anything that can't measure up to George Lucas?

Honestly I understand that this was "supposed" to be the movie of the century and turned out to just be a movie.

Star Wars was epic in its time and the recent 3 installments really showed off LucasArt's talent in digital movie making, but have you watched episode 4 lately? the acting really is not that good, the special effects where the best of there time 30+years ago but watch it now and its almost sad.

I am a huge fan of both trilogies btw but I don't judge all sci-fi by these.

The matrix was very leading edge with a brain twisting plot "is it real or the Matrix" but the sets and "world" were unimpressive. What made the Matrix amazing was the new surround 360 slow-mo. That was spectacular! that and we all like a good KungFu movie. :hugs:

What was hyped about Avatar that frankly left it flat was the 3-D. I did not see it in theater in 3-D. But I saw "Alice" with Johnny Depp and "How to train your dragon" both in 3-D and while the were entertaining I think the 3-D is not all that great. and I imagine Avatar in 3-D didn't look nearly as beautiful as it did at home on my home theater.

But I need to make a very important point. All three of these movies contained 2 aspects that were very transparent in Avatar and more masked in matrix and Star-wars and those are 2 subjects which we can not talk about on this site, as they are against our rules. but both pertain to a "message" that was sadly to obvious in Avatar

if you remove these 2 aspects from each of the 3 films. Avatar is left with only the CGI graphics and awesome world. while the other 2 had ... more.

So I think Gogo you have to look at them in a whole. Avatar had an obvious "Message". And you may or may not agree that a block buster movie is the right forum to voice a message. But don't disrespect the people who spent thousands and thousand of hours sitting a thier workstations much like we do, creating a CG world, and an action movie that was breathtakingly beautiful and obviously a ton of hard work.

So the question has to be simply "Did you find it entertaining?" and if the answer is no, then I understand your disappointment. But if your Answer is yes, as mine is. then that's all the analysis that's really neccessary.

OK time to shelf this movie stuff and get back to the bar!

Drinks are on me. :P

I considered avatar to be a braindead hot chick.

Fun to look at, but doesn't have much to offer as far as content goes.

I saw it in 3d, so the graphics were obviously amazing. the colourfull world etc really gave me some sensation of fun whilst watching the movie.

But in the end, isn't it really just a moderd-day version of pocahontas?

Guy goes in to get a tribe to leave their land, falls in love with native, people all die in the end, loved couple lives on ever after.

I've even heard people say it was the movie of the century ... I mean, .... Come on !

You don't just put bigger wheels on a car and say it's a monstertruck. It makes the car cooler, no doubt. But best car ever !?

Avatar is just a plain old, typical, everything works out in the end and the bad guys loose kinda movie. They just upped the graphics.

But to me, that doesn't make up for loss of plot.

Best movies ever are still reserved for the ones with a depper plot to me.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed myself watching the movie, and money was definatly better spent on this movie then another wannabe horror film staring 2 stoners and a gal with a D-cup camping in the woods, but I don't consider it to be all that much of a movie.

It entertained me for a good 3 hours. No more, no less

content-wise, I disapproved

graphics wise, I thought it was amazing.

Edited by promatolya

I never watched Avatar. With 5 kids spanning 10 years it is hard to find a movie for the whole family (like find nemo).

And I always miss at film discussions the Knufi-rating. There is age rating, film critics and more, but no Knufi-factor. I, I bet others too, watched the most movies as teenager.

In germany we have 18 years for a driving license. Growing up with 3 siblings you needed a place to kiss your girl friend undisturbed: the cinema. At this point the Knufi-factor comes in. Knufi was of cause slang word of teenage boys at my time and parents didn't know it..

Knutschen is kissing/petting and Film a movie. So the Knufi-factor is: is the money spend for the movie wasted if you want to kiss your girl friend at the cinema.

A good Knufi has to be a good discussed movie, including a love story to interest your girl friend. It shouldn't be a pure action movie, not just killing and explosions. So this are the factors of a movie to interest your girl friend to company you at a visit at the cinema.

Once at the cinema other factors are important, are there scenes you don't need to see to understand the story. And if yes how much. These filler scenes are what a good Knufi needs.

I never watched Avatar. With 5 kids spanning 10 years it is hard to find a movie for the whole family (like find nemo).

And I always miss at film discussions the Knufi-rating. There is age rating, film critics and more, but no Knufi-factor. I, I bet others too, watched the most movies as teenager.

In germany we have 18 years for a driving license. Growing up with 3 siblings you needed a place to kiss your girl friend undisturbed: the cinema. At this point the Knufi-factor comes in. Knufi was of cause slang word of teenage boys at my time and parents didn't know it..

Knutschen is kissing/petting and Film a movie. So the Knufi-factor is: is the money spend for the movie wasted if you want to kiss your girl friend at the cinema.

A good Knufi has to be a good discussed movie, including a love story to interest your girl friend. It shouldn't be a pure action movie, not just killing and explosions. So this are the factors of a movie to interest your girl friend to company you at a visit at the cinema.

Once at the cinema other factors are important, are there scenes you don't need to see to understand the story. And if yes how much. These filler scenes are what a good Knufi needs.

There you go Gogo! you should have taken your girlfriend instead of your friends from work and you would have enjoyed Avatar a whole lot more! rflmao :lol:

Dont know if you seen the billionaires movie club.

Avatar came on top. This one surprised me.

US Box Office: $748,900,000

Worldwide Box Office: $2,726,900,000

• 3 months later...

So sorry I missed this thread on the first go-around.... I very very very very disliked Avatar. Give me $300 million and I can make a bunch of flashy effects too.

I saw it in 2D because 3D was sold out... people then said "well you had to see it in 3D"... um, so 3D would make the story not suck:)

That's what it comes down to for me... the story simply sucked. It was derivative of at least 10 other works (admitted it's hard to not resemble some other movie these days, but too many scenes made me think of some other work or were entirely from another work).

One of my biggest complaints is that Avatar didn't even follow it own "rules"... the worst violation being the rule "too long w/out a mask and you die" which was totally ignored in the final battle. And that was the note the movie closed on... the writers just cheated their own rules to make the storyline come out the way they wanted.

Here's my plot synopsis of Avatar 2.... 100 space ships enter orbit over Pandora and then drops 1000 neutron bombs each that kill all life on Pandora (which also gets rid of those pesky trees they have to keep knocking over), miners in space suits then obtain all the unobtainium that the ships can carry. The last 2 hours are filled w/ bloopers from the first film. The end.

I enjoyed the first half but I thought the second half was too violent not in any moral sense but just in the sense that I don't enjoy those battle scenes that much anymore. I liked the scifi about the tree brains and I liked the visuals of the animals especially the cat beast and those little puffs that came from the tree spirit.

I don't mind battle scenes but only in the scence of a fantasy spectacle. I don't really like the 'and then he blocks that punch and dives off the dragon then sommersalts blah blah.... What I like to see is the orcs surrounding the city of minas tirith and so forth (so I thought all the animals fighting was kind of cool)...

Lol Gogo. Is this the criteria by which you judge all movies? you must be disappointed a lot? so why pick on Avatar to express your disdain for anything that can't measure up to George Lucas?

Honestly I understand that this was "supposed" to be the movie of the century and turned out to just be a movie.

I think it's because Cameron ...hurt me. I have been so impressed by all of his fare as a kid, and he's never let me down. One after another, every movie he made... was right there, on the pulse of what me, a hard core Sci-fi adict...wanted. In fact, he sometimes came up with things we didn't even know we wanted...but because of his ten insight...I got over and over again delighted.

Serendipity

It doesn't happen often, but when it does... that surprise that makes you so happy because a part of it is because it's so unexpected...well its' hard for me to think of any other goodies out there ^^

I had built him up, personally I guess, and I realize that I had made some errors by even listening to the hype... but I also realize that perhaps in this day and age, the kind of stage that existed before...the one where we all shared common movie releases and all were locked into the same channel...that is diluting the impact of what a "big event" means.

In the old days, when someone said did you hear it on the news...everyone would just turn on the black and white tv, and there would be this huge shared event.

Everyone knew the same thing, everyone shared the same thing... with exponential muti channel processing and forced uber consumption... everyone has so many inputs coming in and is processing/consuming so much resources at once... I'm not even sure if it's even possible for something like "Star Wars" to even happen again.

... how strange

:)

gogo

Everyone knew the same thing, everyone shared the same thing... with exponential muti channel processing and forced uber consumption... everyone has so many inputs coming in and is processing/consuming so much resources at once... I'm not even sure if it's even possible for something like "Star Wars" to even happen again.

... how strange

:)

gogo

Very profound gogo. Probably true of a lot of aspects in our life. Scares me to think of Sacred3 inflicted by this reality

... how strange

:thumbsup:

gogo

Very profound gogo. Probably true of a lot of aspects in our life. Scares me to think of Sacred3 inflicted by this reality

Re:Cameron failed. He didn't live up to your expectation. Same thing happened for me with George Lucas. Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope was so awesome it made me think the other parts of the story would be too. Incorrect BINGO!

Re:Shared consumption on a mass scale: Titanic sinking (the real thing), Gone with the Wind, Kennedy Assassination, The Moon Landing (not a movie), Jaws, John Lennon murder, Reagan shooting, Titanic (the movie), 9/11, and now Avatar. All had deep emotional significance. We still have emotions. Things will still get us. Heck, we're still talking today about the sacking of Troy! Some things will never leave the shared consciousness of mankind.

Edited by FrostElfGuard
  • 3 months later...

I COMPLETELY agree with you on almost everything except it seemed more like Pocahontas than Fern Gully...either way, it was the same story we've seen for years! I couldn't stand Avatar, I sat trash talking this movie since it came out and so many people bought into it saying "OMG, THIS IS SUCH A GREAT MOVIE!" While I sit on the side grumbling to myself because no one understands! The same goes to say for Transformers I and II...

I saw trailers of this film and thought " Yuk ! "

Then a guy I work with lent me the dvd.............

I was blown away. I thought it was an amazing film. After all the talk of special effects etc, it was the fantastic story line that got me.

I regret not watching it at the cinema now............oh well.

I'll try not to be so judgemental next time..............well maybe, hehe !

Steve. :)

Watched the trailer for Avatar foolishly thinking it was for Avatar - The Last Airbender. Thankfully I watched the trailer and knew what this movie was going to be about - "Sick, murderous, sadistic organization wages war on peace loving indigenous species who are in tune with their version of mother nature unlike the techno. dependent humans."