Does Vista or Win7 come with free built in Dictation software?

gogoblender

I'm just wondering if it's there, and if it's as good as Dragon Speak?

Has anyone got it to work?

Can someone make a post here with it so we can see?

:P

gogo

It does...thank you Timo!

Have you ever on a lark used it? I only have to go buy a microphone and then I can use it?

One of my friends has serious tendinitis on wrists and cannot use keyboard for a bit... I'd heard some about built in voice dictation software for Windows...

I know Dragon Speak was supposed to be the best...one of the guys from Clan Ogame D.a.r.k years ago was using it here and swore by it.

:P

gogo

No, I've never used it. But it really isn't that hard, that google search took me 2 tries, one for vista and one for 7.

Just browse through youtube or google video for Voice Recognition Vista or Voice Recognition Windows 7, there should be plenty of reviews/user experiences there. :Just_Cuz_21:

Edited by Timotheus

hahaha, I just gave it a go.

"This does mean anything in a closed meeting speech from that for more. It doesn't seem to be buried. What their shoulders that the"

I said "This is me making a post with speech to text. It doesn't work very well. What does that mean!"

That's quite fun :) With a bit of practice, you could get it doing what you want. It'd probably work better if I wasn't using my laptop microphone.

There's a tutorial which helps you with the speech thing. It's probably because you cannot talk too quickly, and you have to be careful in pronouncing things corectly. We speak relatively quickly to eachother, that's also why foreign languages always go too quickly when you are learning them. That makes it hard to capture the actual words.

One last thing: I watched one vid, and that was a guy with a mic right in front of his face. That worked pretty well, I guess a mic further away would cause issues with ambient noise and echo's.

Edited by Timotheus

hahahahha

You guys won't believe what Schot was doing for 3 hours last night. It was VERY fun to see this happening. I felt strangely thrilled. I was expecting a small dwarf to come out of the computer and say he was pulling strings...there there must have been some other explanation for words magically appearing on screen while Schot was teaching this new child how to speak. There are moments when it is stubborn and does not want to listen to us, it's faced turned away. But inside every computer I believe is a good one and when you see how fast commands are capable of being heard or read by the newest member of the family, it gets you thinking.

The most exiting thing? Schot saying out loud commands like

"darkmatters.org"

Our site opens up

"View new posts!"

A page shows up with all of DarkMatters' newest posts.

And the best one?

"Avatar was a very bad bad bad movie"

Like magic, the post he chose and that the computer now recognizes because it has been "taught" makes words magically appear on screen... the post he had asked for.

Avatar, my friends, has nothing on dictation.

:)

gogo

Well this is a fine mess I've got myself into. Just thought I would drop a line to say I hurt my arms so I am using Vista's built in speech recognition software. It's difficult to work with but I'm getting the hang of it slowly but surely. The hardest part is of course teaching the computer to understand the way I pronounce words.

For some reason I can't get it to type into Firefox text fields so for now I'm making my posts in wordpad and then pasting it into Firefox.

Man this took for ever…

Ahh, Schot you got to the comp and... *echoey noise*

V O I C E C O M M A N D

*echo*

Can it be trained to cook?

:)

gogo

p.s. on serious not though, it's a lot faster than I expected... only thing is, it needs serous attention from us to get good... more and more like a small child. Maybe we can send it to kindergarten.

My wife uses speech magic. She has to document mainly medical diagnosis, so the number of used words is quite small. English is quite easy for voice recognition, german needs a WAY bigger dictionary = WAY more training. So here it is used mainly from doctors with a small medical dictionary.

Perhaps you should fight the reason for your suffering?

When I had my KTS , CTS in english, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, I was buying a real good keyboard and a trackball. The trackball had the most effect. No need to move the hand, just the fingers, helped a lot. I still use the trackball when I work with my notebook while travelling per train. I am used to it. Since it is wireless, I did even presentations with it, pressing it on my upper leg while I was recovering from the hand surgery. I can even do some playing with it, since my builds are normally very defensive in nature.

When our then 11 year old daughter had an cast on her arm (goalie at soccer, and trying to parry a shot from a 15 year olf boy at close distance) she couldn't use a mouse because the cast was hitting the desk so that she couldn't grap it. A trackball was possible.

CTS:

I am not female, I was not pregnant, I am not a drinker... The reason I had CTS as an adult was a fracture of my hand when I was 12 :)