Ice & Blood Map for Print - Help Needed!

Alrighty then, my cutting and taping skillz suck. I am so glad that I didn't pay for my copies. Think I would be crying right now :) .... actually its not that bad, but I should have had a pro do it. Still it looks awesome, Headed out to get a copy into the mail and see if I can find a 34.5" by 34.5" frame somewhere.

As in "a fair percentage of the original Sacred 2 vanilla map" converted into vector? :o

Yea Schot,

She does alot of my cad work for me. Shes had the map file for about 6 months. I had told her that when she had spare time and wanted a challenge, to give it a Schot (pun intended).

To my amazement she had broke the map into small quadrants (appx 60) and has made it to about her 12th quad.

She stated she was having trouble with the trees, and decided to use A common tree for all of them. I'm off today until monday, but I'll get a sample to you then.

My goal is to make it a cuttable file, with infinite scaleability without loss of detail.

Terrazzomap.jpg

Can you imagine this as a map of Ancaria? :)

Jet

Alrighty then, my cutting and taping skillz suck. I am so glad that I didn't pay for my copies. Think I would be crying right now :bounce: .... actually its not that bad, but I should have had a pro do it. Still it looks awesome, Headed out to get a copy into the mail and see if I can find a 34.5" by 34.5" frame somewhere.

Parcel is in the post. They said 6 to 10 days but I don't think it'll be that long.

Oh no, was it that bad Furian? Thank god you didn't have to pay for all that. Well, hopefully the next time you won't have to do any cutting. I should have a single sheet print ready in a week Or so.

Can't wait to see the parcel! :)

As in "a fair percentage of the original Sacred 2 vanilla map" converted into vector? :o

Yea Schot,

She does alot of my cad work for me. Shes had the map file for about 6 months. I had told her that when she had spare time and wanted a challenge, to give it a Schot (pun intended).

To my amazement she had broke the map into small quadrants (appx 60) and has made it to about her 12th quad.

She stated she was having trouble with the trees, and decided to use A common tree for all of them. I'm off today until monday, but I'll get a sample to you then.

My goal is to make it a cuttable file, with infinite scaleability without loss of detail.

Terrazzomap.jpg

Can you imagine this as a map of Ancaria? :o

Jet

That would be amazing Jet. I would love to see that. :D If I remember right the quadrants are 64 by 64. Nice solution that your daughter found for the trees. I'm so curious to see what her trees look like on the map! Looking forward to that sample.

" ...scalability without loss..." A designer's dream. ^^

Give your daughter my best on her project. I hope it is as fulfilling a project as the map was for me. :)

When It's finished you can make into whatever ya want, although wallpaper is an excellent idea.

She proclaims she is better than me with graphics,, sad part is, I think she is getting there. She has a job waiting.

Also, Great training for her.

@ 14 yrs.,, I wish I could hire her now.

Raster to vector conversion software,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Priceless.

Jet

Edit: @Schot, Appreciate your gratz to my baby girl. I WILL pass that on to her.

She amazes me. Even learned how to steal , and install fonts from me.

Edited by Jetcutter

The Map looks really nice schot. I walked over to the prepress area, and talked to our prepress wizard. I gave him a flash drive with the files on it. he immediately started spewing print/graphics lingo that I had never heard of. and 30 minutes later he had merged tiles 1-4 back together, and 5-8 into 2 new PDF's and printed me proofs on our digital Epson Stylus Pro 7500. it will print all the way up to 24 inches wide by all longs at the roll of paper lasts. the max resolution is 2400dpi, but he said really 300 is really all you need. going from 300-600 would make only the tiniest of diffrence but the RIP would take a really long time due to the file size. in the future he said make 1 PDF of what ever size or res you wanted and he would scale it anyway I ask.

BTW he only uses adobe software. I think he pieced these back together in Adobe Illustrator.?

Sorry my pics are a little off, I was in the conference room standing on a chair trying to get a decent photo with my droid. (which btw happily uploaded to my photobucket acct automatically.

I have 2 24"x36" sheets laying one on top of the other. I will try to trim them and tape em p so I can get it on my wall at the apartment.

a06d916f.jpg

4cd54e36.jpg

f6af5b5c.jpg

Btw at this size your test looked absolutely gorgeous, I had no problem reading any of the place names.

Very sweet. Now I have an extra copy here. What was your final size of the Map from map border to border? The one I had done went at just under 33 inches.

Wonder if he could enlarge it to 3 sheets wide? Then maybe I could read the names from my chair. IMG_0396.jpg

" ...scalability without loss..." A designer's dream. ^^

Give your daughter my best on her project. I hope it is as fulfilling a project as the map was for me. :pitcher:

Even more fulfilling for me, my friend

Well my trim and tape skills lack finesse as well but with only 1 seam to worry about it turned out ok.

and to answer one question you had Schot, the colors on the print seem d.a.r.k er and richer than online. but they may be my tv/monitor I am using too.

d7140030.jpg

8844c6ee.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice print outs guys. Drool worthy! I especially like how your printing buddy pieced the pages together to make only two prints required for the whole thing loco. I'll make a 2 sheet pdf to that effect.

Here's the latest map version. It has a solid frame, no tears, for easy cutting. Torn map is on the way! Oh and for now it's a one piece map. I ran out of time tonight but I'll have a 6 sheet pdf done next. :)

New Ice & Blood Map (33 inches 300 DPI)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It is stubbs though quite delayed. I've been struggling with some arm/wrist troubles since April which is why I haven't talked about it much lately. For the moment the most up to date map is the Map of Ancaria. It includes everything to do with Ice and Blood and is the version I intend to provide for print. Hopefully I'll be able to get that out soon so everyone else can enjoy a nice print of their own though these days I'm taking it slow so it might be a while yet. :(

Thanks for replying schot and don't hurry, I know about your wrist injury. :)

I hope it's improving for you.

I was just curious because our daughters boyfriend works in a printscreen shop and I'm going to ask him to make a map for my game room wall.......

........at a reduced price. :yay:

Aaaaaah, well in that case I do have some options for you. Some print versions that you could use. I thought by your last post's quote that you were hoping specifically for the 6 piece print job. I do already have a single piece and a 12 piece prepared so I'll see about getting that out so you can cash in on that deal. :yay:

• 7 months later...

I wasnt sure where to put this. is there a way to actually save the map from sacred wiki with all the legends on it? I am going to have it custom printed and put on the wall right next to my cpu. I hate having to minimize Sacred 2 to look at a map online. not only would it make finding things easier, but it would look friggin awesome as well. thanks

lildozer74

:drunkards:

Certainly is lildozer. I'll merge your post here with a topic that talks about printing the map though I'll need to provide a new source so in the meantime enjoy the read. :) Hopefully I'll have time to make it available for download in a matter of days.

http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15131&view=findpost&p=6888560&hl=furian&fromsearch=1

I'm going to be working on the map today gang. If anyone knows of some corrections that need to be made on the map, please let me know! I'll be updating the print map to include some corrections I got from wolfie and Silver in the past. Namely "Khorminth-->Khormynth" "Maze-->Labyrinth" "Artamark's Refuge-->Arkenmark's Refuge"... Anything else?

Greetings

First of all, congratulations to Schot for his astonishing map of Ancaria. It's the kind of generous work that makes the game far more enjoyable for us all...

I left playing about a year ago, for real-life reasons (I was developing the seven characters separately, and it was very time-consuming), and until I quit I used your pre-expansion map, which I downloaded as a enormous JPG map. Now I intend to start playing again, so I was wondering if you plan to make another downloadable JPG, with the Ice & Blood version of the map that is available online. It would be really, really great!

Congratulations again, and regards from Spain

Sikmar

Thanx Sikmar! I'm gald you were able to enjoy the map. It was lots of fun to make. :)

As for the jpg it may be something that I'll provide in the future. For now though I'm going to leave things more or less as is. Primarily because the map page on the wiki, Map of Ancaria, helps to support both sacredWiki and DarkMatters. So although I've created the map for print I'm still hopeful that many players will continue to use the wiki map because that really helps a lot. :agreed: