It just ain't fair!

essjayehm

Well, I've been disappointed before, discouraged, confused, yada yada with all the various buggy crap this game throws at me.

This takes the cake/cookie/prize.

Been playing an DW Staff Dryad for quite a while now. Mostly been doing my best impersonation of a marathon runner running thru the desert, spreading STD's (Viperish Disease) all over that area. I never really noticed this issue when I was grinding out the silver, gold, platinum campaigns because I mostly play with the damage and experience turned off. I had always felt there was something amiss, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Such a funny feeling to have for so long, so I finally got curious last night and turned the details on while I was messing around last night, and I finally noticed:

While dual-wielding staves, Acute Mind does not increase the damage of weapon-based combat arts.

:)

Yes, if I use "left-click" attacks (on console, using the button you mapped your weapons to), then AM will increase the damage. All the non-weapon Combat Art's work fine with AM as well; since I kill bosses with AM + Lances, I never had any issues so I thought it was all good. The Combat Art page does show that the damage should be increased (ie, my Ravaged Impact shows 3-4.5 k without AM, and 14-16k with AM active) but the actual damage done is not increased.

After drying my eyes (actually, cleaning up the mess from my tantrum), I went about testing other weapons with AM. I found something else quite interesting/justplainbad. Acute Mind does increase the damage from Shurikens... well, this we already "knew"; BUT... when I use Ravaged Impact, it does the same damage as a left-click attack!

dubya-tee-eff as they say on the internetz.

Anywho, I just wanted to solicit some comments from y'all from your experiences (expecially fellow PS3'ers) for those who have tried Acute Mind tricks.

As always, thanks for listenting to another rant :D

<end rant?>

• Appreciation 1

that's fo funny. I was just going to say: you know it works with ranged weapons, right?

think of it this way. If you wanted to play a pure caster dryad, it's pretty hard to beat the damage of AM imporved Combat Arts when you are trying to kills with spell based Combat Arts. Kinda sucks

Is it possible to DW Shurikens? :) Imagine that, Shurikens attacks at twice the speed, does tens of thousands of damage.....

also lemme get this straight, your auto attack (weapon) button IS increased by Acute Mind? If so, then couldn't the build just be made from just using that attack? The only thing I'd notice that would need to be worked around would be hit chance.

I still dont understand if your a caster then no melee should be done by you correct? so whats the problem? You indicate AM works with lances or any other castable spell. The damage in these builds are based on spells and your MA assisting with what ever you cant kill with lances/vines etc. So everything works fine as a caster build which is what a DW Staff Build is correct?

But now if your using melee/caster then you should have the right weapon slotted to get the damage you want. No where in a DW caster build have I seen anyone indicate to use ravage impact.

So, maybe some more info on the build:

HYBRID build.

I like melee playstyle for grinding the Ancarian wilds. just holding X to clear everyone is so much easier on the controllers, rather than mashing button combinations. Of course, bosses go down very fast with Black Curse, Acute Mind and Lances.

Dual Weild, plus Ravaged Impact with explosions mod is just sick with RpH and other "per hit" mods. I'm also running Disregard Armour at about 90-ish percent. It really, really sux that "intelligence-based" staves aren't interacting correctly with AM and Ravaged Impact.

Heh.. 2x shurikens would be nice.

This isn't a guided-build. I have only ever followed one guide. After understanding the mechanics of Sacred, I have designed my own builds everytime.

Sam - regular weapons attacks with staves are boosted by AM. BUT, only doing about 2x damage over Ravaged Impact. With the explosions, Ravaged Impact is still a lot faster at clearing piles of enemies. I hate fighting 1-on-1, etc. Gather mob, slay, is my playstyle. CtH is an issue (regular weapon atk) as well, yes. But not with Ravaged Impact ;)

I really wanted to know if anyone on Xbox 360 has had similar issues with AM.

Edited by essjayehm