Snow in Montreal. I can't believe it...

Well here I am slathering some much needed Solarcane onto the nasty sunburn I got on my arms and neck just yesterday. There I was in a long 10 hour day of work outside. Unaware that the sun was slowly burning me up until it was too late. But now? I'm staring outside in disbelief as more and more snow comes down from the dastardly heavens. It's been weeks since we've even thought about snow. What tha heck is goin on?! lol. Anyone else getting so really bizarre weather today?

My first Panorama pic using gogo's new toy of the sudden winter wonderland around us.

100_0340.jpg

100_0342.jpg

Well here I am slathering some much needed Solarcane onto the nasty sunburn I got on my arms and neck just yesterday. There I was in a long 10 hour day of work outside. Unaware that the sun was slowly burning me up until it was too late. But now? I'm staring outside in disbelief as more and more snow comes down from the dastardly heavens. It's been weeks since we've even thought about snow. What tha heck is goin on?! lol. Anyone else getting so really bizarre weather today?

My first Panorama pic using gogo's new toy of the sudden winter wonderland around us.

100_0340.jpg

100_0342.jpg

You guys live in an old brownstone building. very cool! Nostalgic even.

North America lacks a west-east mountain range so artical cold wind can go all the way south unhindered?

How many cars already changed to summer tires? I plan to change to summer tires this weekend. Our second was born may 2nd I had to use an Unimog to bring my wife to hospital, because all our cars (and all taxi's I called) were already changed to summer tires and it was snowing.

In germany farmers have nice names for these icy days:

Eisheilige, icy saints

And sayings: Pflanze nie vor der Kalten Sophie. Never plant before the Cold Sophia. The feast day of the holy Sophia would be may the 15th. After this day there is normally no nightfrost anymore.

A another farmer's rule is what we call Schafskälte (sheeps cold). Around june 11th there is often suddenly way colder weather, up to 12 degree celcius less. So whool is not cut at some places before the Schafskälte is over.

Intrestingly this old farmers saying are right in 90% of the years, winning before professional forecasts which do only 81%.

Slush roads, fields of snow, grey skies, mud, wet, cold, winter coats and boots. I'm not liking today, and hot chocolate with a long, settled day of Ancarian sights is beginning to look and feel better. Loco, the building is actually about 100 years old... lol, my neighbor Margaret is actually 97, and she's lived here for more than 50... she's heritage collection ^^

You're right about the problem with the winter Tires, Chattius. By law, I think all cars here must have winter tires by a certain date...and the date when cars were allowed to change back happened just a wee bit back...don't want to imagine traffic and accidents in downtown.

:)

gogo

Yesterday was really a crappy day. I had to push grocery carts in all that snow!

I was drving really slowly to not get an accident since I have my summer tires for 3 weeks now.

I just looked outside...and I'm really happy to see all that snow gone for good :)

Max

If I understand correctly ther snow came and went between 6am and 3pm. Incredible.

You and Chattius remind me not to be too complacent at this time of year. Never seen so much blossom on the apple trees as we have this year, but most years recently we have had a cold snap early May and lost about half the crop. France is perhaps a little different to Germany but country sayings about weather are much the same.

But for now ... sunshine, 24°C in the shade, 37°C in the sun, and we BBQ'd. :)

It's gotten beautifully bright, this rogue storm nothing but a memory. Max, I hope next year your store provides you with snow tires for the carts. Across the window from us, the dusting of snow serves as a nice framing shot for pictures from this day.

acrossthestreet.jpg

:badbad:

gogo

p.s. Plus this hydrant that got uncovered near us :

uncovers.jpg

Sorry to hear of your snow.

West (Winnipeg), and a little bit north of you (Montreal)... we have no snow.

Yet.

There's snow/rain forecast for Saturday.

Here... I've been itching to change my winter tires to summer ones... but have held off... The flood of 1997, caused by a dump of snow (2 feet?) came on 27-April-1997 (or so)... so. I'm too aware of the possibility of huge late season dumps of snow.

Is the snow gone yet? Maybe tomorrow?

Cool panoramic pic of the street btw. :) Go Schot!

town a bit north of me , Twin Mountain NH got 13 inches , we got 2-4 inches... parts of Vermont (state where Ari is) got a record breaking 20 inches of the stuff .... and yet this weekend the forecast is for 80 degrees (f) and Sunshine...... *sigh* mother nature is going through menopause and is having hot flashes and cold chills I think .....

Almost gone. Yaaaaay! Wow, I just looked out my window now and it's nearly all gone. Mother nature menopause indeed. To our Aussie friends I wish I could send some over. ^^ I do actually like the snow of winter. Most of the winter I find really nice in fact. It's really quite something when, in a matter of a single hour, the world around you can be transformed by the cover of a soft white blanket. Most everywhere you walk is suddenly softer. All the hard surfaces and sharp corners turn a much more pleasant appearance. And when there's not a cloud in the sky there's a powerful brightness all around you. We tend to think that summer is the bright season but boy... When the sun is out during winter with snow all around I have to really squint my eyes to be able to walk down the street.

I think everyone should experience at least one winter in there lives. :blink:

Has it ever snowed there ever for you Ash? Have you seen real life snow before?

:P

gogo

Never snowed, we get snow on top of the on or two mountains we have that are tall enough, but even climbing those, I've only ever seen ice at the top...just not the same :blink: it would be amazing if it snowed in winter here but we usually get abit of rain (although a drought at the moment has limited that) and 10degree weather or so...very, very rarely do we get to or below zero...like one or two times a year at most.

Almost gone. Yaaaaay! Wow, I just looked out my window now and it's nearly all gone. Mother nature menopause indeed. To our Aussie friends I wish I could send some over. ^^ I do actually like the snow of winter. Most of the winter I find really nice in fact. It's really quite something when, in a matter of a single hour, the world around you can be transformed by the cover of a soft white blanket. Most everywhere you walk is suddenly softer. All the hard surfaces and sharp corners turn a much more pleasant appearance. And when there's not a cloud in the sky there's a powerful brightness all around you. We tend to think that summer is the bright season but boy... When the sun is out during winter with snow all around I have to really squint my eyes to be able to walk down the street.

I think everyone should experience at least one winter in there lives. :P

OMG Schot you should right for Hallmark cards! :blink:

It's really quite something when, in a matter of a single hour, the world around you can be transformed by the cover of a soft white blanket. Most everywhere you walk is suddenly softer.

And that super crunching sound when you walk on fresh snow ....

Haha, dang! Our weather down here has been bipolar, too. It's sunny and boiling one day, snowing the next, then a pleasant springy day as though nothing had happened. So strange, it is.

Awesome panorama! What's the toy, if I might ask? >3<

ahhh!

It's this one here that Schot got me Jaggy:

kodak-easyshare-md41-black-7456-p.jpg

I'm having so much fun with it. Beware the camera spamming gogo

I also got this awesome gorilla camera stand with it.

gorillapod_magnetic.jpg

I can leave it hanging from ceilings or around teh corners and noone knows it's there.

:)

gogo

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, just last night, it was a huge mess here in Montreal. I honestly wish I'd had a camera to show u guys what just the sidewalk was like. There was a river running down the center of the sidewalk...it was snow/hailing/raining at the same time, with banks of this new sidewalk river composed of ice, dirt, slush, snow... almost impossible to just walk down to get stuff at the groceries. In fact, I was so frustrated with this experience of what should been easy, walking in the center of the road was beginning to look more and more attractive as the workout continued. Shoes soaked, socks needing a ringing.

Please spring get here.

:oooo:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

I feel sorry for y'all up there, but I can't exactly comiserate.

I live in Chattanooga, Tennessee. Yesterday our high was 80 degrees, low of 50.

We had one six-inch snow this year, second week in January. The entire city shut down for the whole week, Monday through Friday. Nobody went to school and nobody worked.

It finally went back up above freezing the third week in January, and it hasn't been below freezing during the day ever since.

People from up where you guys live always marvel at our reaction to snow down here in the southern states when you move here! We had a lady from Connecticut write a letter to the editor of the local newspaper complaining almost hysterically, "How can you just shut down the whole city over six inches of snow! You people are crazy!"

:agreed:

Tennessee tropics... man, how I wish :cry: I'm glad yer getting some warm weather though. Does it get mighty hot there quickly I guess? I'm just waiting for some long sunny days here. It's like when I finish work, it was always so dark outside. When that sun starts getting long, I never wanna come back in from outside

:gogo:

gogo

Toronto, Ontario, after several days of sunshine and green with the occasional showers, got a load of that white stuff. Someone forgot to mention this was supposed to be the first day of Spring here. :P