Blowpipe Glass Cannon Dryad Guide

Okay, So I was just thinking...there is something I haven't seen on Dark Matters I'd really love to see.

A Blowpipe using (with the ability to use a bow if a good pipe can't be obtained) "Glass Cannon" Sort of Dryad guide?

Would any of you be capable of suggesting to me a build like that? Because I'd really love to be able to use a blowpipe glass cannon-esk Dryad that can kill stuff even quickly in niob before it reaches the character or at least before it can get in many hits.

I have this sort of build KIND-OF already. I have a level 55 in Platinum (I was in platinum before my gear switch) With even very mediocre gear I was able to beat all of gold relatively easily aside from the final bosses which took some running away from and shooting while running and even using very mediocre gear now I can still kill most stuff in platinum in the jungle area in just two to three uses of ravaged impact and a bow.

I was just wondering why nobody had ever made a build like this before? Personally I'd love to do it but without any way of quick leveling it to above level 100 I can't really do the needed testing to create what I'm looking for (and of course finding someone who could make a Niob game for me to test on Mobs / Bosses in that difficulty. (Ironically this is where having a Raging Ire would come in handy and be beneficial for all players on all consoles etc)

And if it would help at all If someone is willing to try and create a build like this I'll happily give you any information you want on my current Bow-Built dryad of this type that works fine in platinum.

to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. =)

If this isn't in the appropriate section and you have to move it I am sorry and apologize in advance.

Cynical

Edited by gogoblender

Ahhh, Glass Cannon Builds... *rubs hands in glee* This is like a fantasy. We can't build like this in HC...but I've had dreams about what a build like this could do if I didn't have to worry about dying.

Off hand I'd spec it this way as a zero utility build:

1. Capricious Hunter Focus
  2. Nature Weaver Focus
  3. Concentration
  4. Tactics
  5. Ranged
  6. Combat Discipline
  7. Damage Lore
  8. Armor Lore
  9. Spell Resistance
  10. Alchemy ( will reduce your need for socketing experience boost at higher levels because of the huge increase to this skill coming from socketed plus all skills which will increase duration of Mentor Pots/and or efficiency in battle by increasing crit (damage), cth (Chance to Hit), defense, etc... beautiful skill)

Above build pre-supposes a good bargaining network...if you don't have one, you'd probably have to drop Alchemy and take Enhanced Perception, or keep alchemy, but drop damage lore and replace that with Bargaining.

:P

gogo

p.s. We just took a trader all the way to level 157 and it was sweet all the way. These build techniques are sound and lasted us all the way to high levels in Niobium Hard Core Eu servers. You have to be using Deth's gear though and have a high tolerance for taking damage and be good with your aiming. Yes Deth's has highest DPS in game, but if yer not aiming at monsters with health points to keep supplying you with health points while dots are whittling away at you, you'll die. Swamps are still THE best place for leveling, so having to learn how to fight the spider is important. Deth armor is very light, but almost offers no def... get used to using Golden Glade Touch against Guardians if you want to always come out alive...then again, this would be not HC right? Just press Reset in that case :blink:

It's going to be the equipment that makes your build sing, and you'll need exceptional rings and ammies all with the best phys hard damage rings offered by bargainers as well as with secondary stats on those rings that will comprise your CTH, plus all skills, Dblow maybe, anything that can increase your damage. You can use Niobium level smith arts to get you through till I would say plat...then you'll get better yields for your damage if you switch to the hard damage rings. Make sure you're picky about their secondary stats though ;)

Mine is quite similar, although I have more glass (cheaper, anyway)! This has been fine for Niob, so far; but I've only been in the Elven and Human regions so far.

Hunter Focus

Voodoo Focus

Weaver Focus

Weaver Lore

Concentration

Tactics

Dual Weild (replace with ranged)

Enhanced Perception

Bargaining

Alchemy

No defensive skills has been... interesting. No complaints as the Dryad is quite defensive "out of the box" anyway.

Acute Mind plus Lances for bosses. For mobs, I've been using exploding Ravaged Impacts with the DW, but maybe rotating Darting Assaults could be better for a ranged player.

Alchemy has been disappointing, but I still need to test it more for consoles, so replace that one if you want to have Combat Discipline. Voodoo Focus for modding Black Curse and Animus, but can be replaced with Ancient Magic, for optimizing your Lances damage.

Awesome thing for Alchemy is that it duplicates so many of the effects of other Combat Art's. What has to be it's most spectacular ability is it's ability to extend how long Mentor pots last.

The increase in mentor time it affords without even spending points in it is mind-blowing. Less experience boost jewelry to socket because of this , hence more sockets available for socketing for damage. This last build a few of us are running in HC EU has just been an eye opener for me, especially two days ago... going from level 115 to 127 all on Turtle Isle. I'm going to credit Alchemy with that, while stacking the turtle's propensity to drop pots as per tables.

A very surprising and yummy day.

Alchemy FTW

:)

gogo

I do not doubt the power of Alchemy, just that some of the aspects of Alchemy do not appear to be working correctly for consoles. So, at this time I still advise steering clear for consolers.

On PC, I think I would have it for most of my characters! Just the concentration and mentor durations was enough to entice me to try it on my DW, but in practice, I see that the health potion effectiveness is not increasing directly with Alchemy level (hard or soft level....) so I'll have to get to figuring that out sometime soon.

I used it on a mounted toon once. Had to because there were no Combat Art's allowed...so using alchemy seemed like it was made for horse builds.

I found that for mobs, I was reluctant to quaff pots , but for boss's picking three of the trophies, would literally melt bosses for my mount build.

As well mentor pot extension alone is enough for me after this last run with the alchemy. I'd usually thought of it only as a utility skill choice...but now, seeing that it frees up damage slots and makes the leveling so much faster...

gogo

Seems my suggestion was a rousing success then? I have a build like this is why I suggested it. Except using bows which has major drawbacks and I didn't have that great a gear and can still compete in platinum =)

Thats why I thought it'd end up really well. Only thing is I don't like using Voodoo arts or anything because I wanted to run it as a fully capricious hunter build as far as Combat Art's go you know aside from Golden Glade.

Anyone on console version have a good blow pipe I could maybe get? or possibly trade for some how if I have something you'd like.

I'd probably build this if I could.

Alchemy was a totally overlooked skill for a long time. That was the reason I started an alchemy guide in the GSF. Heal potions together with alchemy allow full 100% heals in the AddOn. Hmmm, I think we should do a thread with the diffrence between 2.43, consoles and AddOn. I do hard in remembering the differences.

2.34 CSL  AddO
combat arts
viperish disease for fast experience	   no   yes  no
staff lore
Mass Area of Effect with allaround attacks	 no   no   yes
staves shooting					 no   no   yes
staff lore for dryad				no   ?	yes
alchemy
alchemy boosting heal potions	   no   ?	yes
trophies in slots				   yes  no   yes

Someone with time and perhaps owning PC and console should maintain such a list.

Edited by chattius

Chattius said: Someone with time and perhaps owning PC and console should maintain such a list.

And I thought, yeah, I am doing it... just have them all in my head for now... but getting them recorded is a darn good idea so I don't have to tell everyone the differences with console and Ice and Blood, and indeed PC version 2.34 seems to be different from console as well (since RpH didn't work for PC then).

Now, I guess it should be done on the Wiki... I will try to get something done there, just need a suggestion for Title, setup of page, etc...

BACK ON TOPIC

Glass cannon dryad, my post #3 build I took to the machine in Niob over the weekend. No issues, being careful not to get too many Temple Guardians surrounding me at any one time. 3 (or more) Demon Champs (at one time) were dangerous as well, so watch out for those! Desert, Jungle and Dryad areas were no problems (with Golden Glade Touch active 24/7).

If I had a bosskilling set, I would've finished it, but I'm not ready to do that just yet. (finishing all quests first....)

Edited by essjayehm

Alright sounds good, Anyone know of any good ways to get good pipes? Or whatever...I really need a low level epic one and a high level good one and I'm going to Re-Incarnate my old build =) I hated using bows but I could never find good pipes.

Alright sounds good, Anyone know of any good ways to get good pipes? Or whatever...I really need a low level epic one and a high level good one and I'm going to Re-Incarnate my old build =) I hated using bows but I could never find good pipes.

The only way I know of is to build a dryad bargainer. Pipes will be plentiful, otherwise you'll have to see if somebody will trade you one.

The only way I know of is to build a dryad bargainer. Pipes will be plentiful, otherwise you'll have to see if somebody will trade you one.

AFAIK, on consoles there are very few unique/legendary blowpipes so, as Loco said, the only way to get good ones is to trade for or shop for them.

There are lots of 2-star 2-slot blowpipes with bargaining skill. I had a level 19 allskills+4 and silver+gold slot.

What would be the best thing to slot into a Blowpipe for a build like this? I assume death blow is a great help somewhere on your set, but should it go into pipe itself? +Combat Art's possibly? or?

What would be the best thing to slot into a Blowpipe for a build like this? I assume death blow is a great help somewhere on your set, but should it go into pipe itself? +Combat Art's possibly? or?

RpH. All Skills. Whet. Good at all levels

Attack speed at low levels

OCE if you're having issues with your hitchance.

Really, it's the same as any slots, whatever the focus of your build is. My last one centered on Disregard Armour, so I pumped that wherever possible!

• 4 years later...

Since blowpipes themselves have low base flat damage, socketing "flat damage" rings is the best way to boost your DPS. That's why your top priority on blowguns should be "flat damage". You'll notice that property, it makes blowgun have WAY more damage. For example, a general blowgun at level 130 has around 200 base damage, while a blowgun with "flat damage" mod has around 300.

"All stats" is also a nice stat to have.

Sure, you shouldnt forget about "death blow", "opponents chance to evade", "regeneration per hit" - those stats are powerful, but their usefullness either quickly diminishes (so gaining "death blow" or "opponents chance to evade" total over 60% is pointless, generally). either are useless after certain value (regeneration per hit above regeneration time of your CA is useless).

"regeneration time: aspect" (except cabbalistic voodoo), damage: damage type are also useful.

Do note, that rare blowguns have 4 slots. One of them will be occupied by "ranged weapon-based" mod, and the best mod there, probably, is "chance to apply secondary effects".

Of other three slots, BiS combination will, probably, be "flat damage" + any two of (socket, death blow, all skils, regeneration per hit).

• Like! 1

Since blowpipes themselves have low base flat damage, socketing "flat damage" rings is the best way to boost your DPS. That's why your top priority on blowguns should be "flat damage". You'll notice that property, it makes blowgun have WAY more damage. For example, a general blowgun at level 130 has around 200 base damage, while a blowgun with "flat damage" mod has around 300.

"All stats" is also a nice stat to have.

Sure, you shouldnt forget about "death blow", "opponents chance to evade", "regeneration per hit" - those stats are powerful, but their usefullness either quickly diminishes (so gaining "death blow" or "opponents chance to evade" total over 60% is pointless, generally). either are useless after certain value (regeneration per hit above regeneration time of your CA is useless).

"regeneration time: aspect" (except cabbalistic voodoo), damage: damage type are also useful.

Do note, that rare blowguns have 4 slots. One of them will be occupied by "ranged weapon-based" mod, and the best mod there, probably, is "chance to apply secondary effects".

Of other three slots, BiS combination will, probably, be "flat damage" + any two of (socket, death blow, all skils, regeneration per hit).

Good, detailed explanation and distillation of dryad blowgun secrets

Great having you here on the boards MortalKombat

gogo

• 5 months later...

Ahhh, Glass Cannon Builds... *rubs hands in glee* This is like a fantasy. We can't build like this in HC...but I've had dreams about what a build like this could do if I didn't have to worry about dying.

Off hand I'd spec it this way as a zero utility build:

• Capricious Hunter Focus
  • Nature Weaver Focus
  • Concentration
  • Tactics
  • Ranged
  • Combat Discipline
  • Damage Lore
  • Armor Lore
  • Spell Resistance
  • Alchemy ( will reduce your need for socketing experience boost at higher levels because of the huge increase to this skill coming from socketed plus all skills which will increase duration of Mentor Pots/and or efficiency in battle by increasing crit (damage), cth (Chance to Hit), defense, etc... beautiful skill)

Above build pre-supposes a good bargaining network...if you don't have one, you'd probably have to drop Alchemy and take Enhanced Perception, or keep alchemy, but drop damage lore and replace that with Bargaining.

gogo

p.s. We just took a trader all the way to level 157 and it was sweet all the way. These build techniques are sound and lasted us all the way to high levels in Niobium Hard Core Eu servers. You have to be using Deth's gear though and have a high tolerance for taking damage and be good with your aiming. Yes Deth's has highest DPS in game, but if yer not aiming at monsters with health points to keep supplying you with health points while dots are whittling away at you, you'll die. Swamps are still THE best place for leveling, so having to learn how to fight the spider is important. Deth armor is very light, but almost offers no def... get used to using Golden Glade Touch against Guardians if you want to always come out alive...then again, this would be not HC right? Just press Reset in that case :P

It's going to be the equipment that makes your build sing, and you'll need exceptional rings and ammies all with the best phys hard damage rings offered by bargainers as well as with secondary stats on those rings that will comprise your CTH, plus all skills, Dblow maybe, anything that can increase your damage. You can use Niobium level smith arts to get you through till I would say plat...then you'll get better yields for your damage if you switch to the hard damage rings. Make sure you're picky about their secondary stats though wink.gif

I know I'm bring this post back from the dead, but I just decided to take another run through Ancaria after a rather long break from it. For this build, what levels would you use hard points in the CA's and skills, what mods would you use and what should be mastered?

Sorry for the request to basically spoon feed me a build, but sadly, I never really figured out all the number crunching for levels of CA's and such.