Are you going to get sucked in to Sacred 3?

Timotheus

As you all probably know, Sacred 3 has been announced.

Sacred 1 was a game a mate of mine bought when we were strolling through the local mall, looking for a new game to play.

We both liked D2 a lot, and this looked a lot like it, we installed it, started playing, it was awesome.

Obviously after having played the game off and on for 6 years, I liked it a lot, went out to buy my own copy the very next day.

Now, my experience with Sacred 2, and Titan Quest, I don't know whether I should get sucked into a game beforehand.

Sure, if the game turns out the best game evar then yeah, getting sucked in is awesome. But sometimes a clean mind seems to work best right?

I would like to know how you guys feel about getting all worked up about a game, hunting new information, etc. :blink:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I can tell you what I will do :blink:

The experiences with Sacred 2 have taught me a lesson. Hearing how all people lose characters due to bugs, knowing how the game came out very much full of bugs and was fixed at the patches went on and on (and it still isn't fixed), I will probably borrow the game first and try it out, then decide on what to do. If I can't borrow it, I will download it, wait for a crack and try it out in single player. If I'm dissatisfied, I will probably wait till they fix it. When it becomes something that's working ok, that's when I will buy it, provided I have the money :P I live in a country where money is scarce anyway, so I won't spend 1/3 of a normal salary for a game that's not working properly.

Edited by Dobri

I got a bit sucked into D3 when it was announced but now I am over it completely. They've done a poor job with the pre-release hype, but I can appreciate them wanting to make it the best they can. Hopefully it's not already past it's use by before it arrives.

Sacred 2 is still a great game (if you can look past the bugs) in regards to gameplay, storyline, play style, items, builds and of course the community. For this reason I don't consider it dated and I believe it has more to give. I will let Sacred 3 take it's course, when it comes, it will come and hopefully it'll be complete.

Edited by dreeft
I got a bit sucked into D3 when it was announced but now I am over it completely. They've done a poor job with the pre-release hype, but I can appreciate them wanting to make it the best they can. Hopefully it's not already past it's use by before it arrives.

Sacred 2 is still a great game (if you can look past the bugs) in regards to gameplay, storyline, play style, items, builds and of course the community. For this reason I don't consider it dated and I believe it has more to give. I will let Sacred 3 take it's course, when it comes, it will come and hopefully it'll be complete.

D3: haven't seen much of it and I don't plan to. :)

Sacred 2: I found S1 to be superior in pretty much everything you've named there, so our opinions differ.

However, due to the hype it could be I was expecting a S1 in a new package too much to enjoy the game.

And that last remark is exactly why I wonder whether to dive into the hype before a game's been released.

It took them 4 years to release Sacred 2 after S1, and even with a new dev team, I can't see it being released in a hurry. S3 won't have the luxury of pre learnt lessons, so how I approach it will be different. I was hooked on S1, I didn't really want to do the same on Sacred 2 but I did anyway. S3 will be a new game and I will look at it same as I do any new game I haven't played before.

D3 will be released when its ready. Blizz have the luxury of getting most of game correct before release, and since they still support D2 after 10 years, it won't be left as is for long. It has an audience waiting for it now. It doesn't need any hype. They will buy it regardless of what is said. I know I will, its a shame I have to wait until next year.

Edited by colif

It depends on the service they deliver. Since Koch Media acquired the Sacred branch there isn't much service anymore. Ice & Blood got no serious patches, only some minor ones which doesn't fix things at all.

I have the feeling that with Ice and Blood only more bugs have appeared and Sacred 2 is now just as in the beginning. Ascaron did at least fix the things, but deep silver not. Since version 2.34 sacred 2 was stable.

I wonder who the developer may be, since Deep Silver is only the publishing branch of Koch Media.

All this is very true but the main thing for me atleast is the requirements. my comp is maybe a year and a half old at most and it couldn't even properly run sacred 2. I ended up figuring that out from the demo luckily before I bought the game. I got it for ps3 and since I play with a few people I know its not bad, just as with any other game, its all about the community. but no matter how much I like a game or get hyped up about it im not dishing out $$$ for a new super gaming comp just so I can play it... =(

It depends on the service they deliver. Since Koch Media acquired the Sacred branch there isn't much service anymore. Ice & Blood got no serious patches, only some minor ones which doesn't fix things at all.

I have the feeling that with Ice and Blood only more bugs have appeared and Sacred 2 is now just as in the beginning. Ascaron did at least fix the things, but deep silver not. Since version 2.34 sacred 2 was stable.

I wonder who the developer may be, since Deep Silver is only the publishing branch of Koch Media.

Lets hope who ever the developers are, they don't break up soon after release. We don't need to relive Sacred 2's sad support tale again. I had no problems at all playing Sacred 2 until Ice and Blood. Now it crashes too often and I just haven't bothered playing it in a few months. I like the extras in Ice and Blood too much to revert anyway. Catch 22 situation.

Lets hope who ever the developers are, they don't break up soon after release. We don't need to relive Sacred 2's sad support tale again. I had no problems at all playing Sacred 2 until Ice and Blood. Now it crashes too often and I just haven't bothered playing it in a few months. I like the extras in Ice and Blood too much to revert anyway. Catch 22 situation.

I had the same problem, but updating my graphic cards drivers fixed the crashing.

What can change the nature of Sacred releases? Both #1 and #2 had serious bugs upon release, and it would take very serious persuasion for me to believe that #3 will be any different. The only reason I got Sacred 2 was due to the fun and friends I had with Sacred. Too bad it didn't really carry over much to Sacred 2. Part of the reason is that Sacred 2 feels more like a MMORPG with a lot of grinding for levels. If I meet up with any of the regulars here again, it will likely be years from now for a different game.

Edited by DaveO
What can change the nature of Sacred releases? Both #1 and #2 had serious bugs upon release, and it would take very serious persuasion for me to believe that #3 will be any different. The only reason I got Sacred 2 was due to the fun and friends I had with Sacred. Too bad it didn't really carry over much to Sacred 2. Part of the reason is that Sacred 2 feels more like a MMORPG with a lot of grinding for levels. If I meet up with any of the regulars here again, it will likely be years from now for a different game.

Regarding playability: I don't mind the bugs, as long as there is fixing.

And regarding the second part of your story: that was pretty much a summation of my experience with Sacred 2.

Nonetheless, I hope S3 will turn out to be a great game where we can all meet up again, for years and years. :)

All of us are going to get sucked in to Sacred 3. But now the question is, How are we going to get out of it? :devil:

Sacred 4?

Seriously, I imagine (and hope!) that I will have a PC before it's out, so I can partake with "the clan". 8)

Edited by essjayehm

Not sure if I will go for S3. Sacred 2 was nothing special and I got bored with it very fast after I reached level 200. Didnt even bother with the expansion.

Now that I am playing Star trek online (I know its an MMO and a different style of game) I have been spoiled by Cryptic Studios. They give free stuff discounts add content ever month. And the bug fixing oh my god. You get patches every few days. So after getting spoiled like that I dont plan to change games or go back to Sacred for some years.

I won't get sucked into sacred 2. Get in, do the quest, finish the campaing and get out. I'm not going to waste time testing my limits and trying to become godlike. I finished up Sacred 2 with a VD Dryad pretty fast. Once I found out that the ending is the same regardless of what character or alignment you used, I kind of lost intrest. Right now I'm trying to do all the quest with a shadow warrior. Once that's done, I'll never play it again.

The ending video (if you don't blink and miss it) is different depending on your alignment, as is the main quest progression (you go through different towns) but yes, generally, the main quest is the same. Some of the side quests are different and some you can only do on one alignment, not both.

The ending isn't the reason to play game though, making characters and trying different things with them is. All of us would have long ago stopped playing if the end was the reason to play :(

Edited by colif

There are also character specific quests, so it's not all the same. Yeah, the mainquest is, but Sacred 2 is more then only the mainquest.

Next to that, just what Colif says, you also want to try other kind of builds or just start over because you're not happy with the current one.

nope, I wont get sucked in to S3 because it wont be released for consoles and I'm pretty much over PC gaming at this point. I'll tke my recliner and 52" LCD over my computer chair, huddled in the basement in front of my 19" monitor and far more money required to keep the PC current to play games. Heck, my laptop cant play much of anything for games but it will still process video faster than my desktop will.

I never played S1, wasn't into PCs when it was out. I got into Sacred 2 because I was losing my previous mistress, Hellgate:London. I have had so many problems with Sacred 2 I cannot even begin to go into details. Search the OF if you want to find all my problems. But I still have 3 or 4 hundred hours of game time in Sacred 2, although I never have taken a toon higher than lev 50 or so and never beaten the game. All my Sacred 2 problems have taken alot out of me on the franchise. I have not played it in a few months. Had I not had so many problems, I imagine I would have had 2000 horus in the game and beaten it many times by now.

As far as S3, I will likely play it. But it won't be at launch.

And hello everyone, I have missed you :)

Edited by AgentSmith5150

Well. The process used by Ascaron for Armallion (I think that was the original name) which turned into Sacred1 left out the very important debug phase.

I suspect they left that phase out because they were worried the game would be leaked before the main sales push.

They were very aware of pirates, and very worried about leakers.

Ascaron used the German public to, what I would call, alpha test. Both Sacred1 and 2 were so not-ready-for-prime-time when released.

They hoped the business plan of patch with content (for free) would allow them make sales, and end-up with a good product.

And it is good. With Sacred 2 too much time was spent making a huge world, and management's decisions to keep changing platforms kept wasting dev money and time.

Over and over again. Leaving not enough time to debug and polish. Just like S1. Big eyes. Vanishing budgets.

Scope creep is what made both Sacreds the buggy mess on release day. And that is a failure of project management. Not the devs. Their bosses.

With the new Sacred, there will probably be a new management team. I hope so.

As far as getting my hopes up... well. It could be amazing! (Think D3). It probably will blow my socks off. I say this, 'cause I loved Final Fantasy VII when it came out.

Years later, I tried to go back. And discovered, you can't really go back... too much maturing in the graphics market makes the game look boxy and cheap.

At the time, it was amazing! Now. Not so much. Computers keep getting cheaper and better designed and downright more capable. So. Yeah S3 will rock!

At the time, it was amazing! Now. Not so much. Computers keep getting cheaper and better designed and downright more capable. So. Yeah S3 will rock!

I sure hope so! But I definitely agree with you in terms of the bugginess. While Sacred 1 turned out alright, global conditions I guess left it not as easy the second time around to fix things after release, so a more polished release would have definitely served them much better. The number of posts we get regarding people needing help just getting the game to run or to patch or to stop flickering or crashing makes you think how much business Ascaron lost through bad reputation on this game, sure, it looks great but if you can even play it then who cares what it looks like. So, while I was pretty lucky with Sacred 2 I dont know how much I'll get stuck into S3...I'll probably buy it just on the fact its Sacred but I can only hope that Deep Silver learns from Ascarons mistakes and dont try changing the feel of the game, and, if it's great then I'll probably get sucked in, but not until then.

I'm just gonna wait a few years after it comes out. That way patches can be released and bugs can be squashed. We pay for a complete game, not to be beta testers. Plus, I hate buying a game and expansion, only to find that a 'gold' version is released that has the game and the expansion. So I'll be biding my time...

I don't think I'll be sucked in, mainly because I'm a console player who hasn't yet been to niob and would rather have the console version patched and Ice & Blood ported than start a whole new game.