Grim Dawn - PC

The Grim Dawn Kickstarter page is live here:

This game is looking awesome and they need the help of us hack n slash fans to reach the target :thumbsup:

They have reached the half way point so if anybody is interested in getting the game, now is the time to part with some cash :D

• Like! 1

Yeah, it's looking to be a fine game indeed, and if you enjoyed Titan Quest this game should be right up your alley.

I've already backed them in this project, and hopefully they'll exceed their minimum goal by a long stretch to make it as good as possible :thumbsup:

Do not mean to sound like a broken record here...

Will wait for a hard boxed version. If in the end there is one offered at all.

The game does look very promising. Gritty, Dirty, Dank & Dark.

Reminds me of the D2 offshoot HellFire.

Wish them the best in reaching their stated goal and bringing the game to life.

I remain, :paladin:

Do not mean to sound like a broken record here...

Will wait for a hard boxed version. If in the end there is one offered at all.

There is a pledge for a boxed version but it will cost you $100.

Depending on how rich you may or may not be, that could be a bargain :lol:

Do not mean to sound like a broken record here...Will wait for a hard boxed version. If in the end there is one offered at all.
There is a pledge for a boxed version but it will cost you $100.Depending on how rich you may or may not be, that could be a bargain :lol:

And for only $150 you get a Boxed Deluxe Edition! :wub:

I did read they are offering a hard box version.

Just so early in the stages. I am hesistant parting with hard earned money for a possibility.

That is all I was trying to convey.

I remain, :thumbsup:

I just watched the dev make his presentation for the company. He's charismatic, and I "believe" in his game...it's just that there's two very other excellent games coming out all at the same time... what with guild wars and diablo 3 on the plate, there's not very much room for more

:blink:

gogo

I did read they are offering a hard box version.

Just so early in the stages. I am hesistant parting with hard earned money for a possibility.

That is all I was trying to convey.

I remain, :thumbsup:

Now if only they had a 'Super-mega-deluxe-totally-awesome-kickstarter-package' that comes with a free cookie, I'd totally be in... :wow:

Seriously, if I ever do buy it, it will be the hard copy/retail version only.

Would be hard to pledge more than somewhat minium, although I'd really like to see this one. Too much things to buy and that pledge-time is quite limited...

Personally, I wouldn't mind digital only, been heavy user of Steam and Origin as it is.

Still, it's always good to have those physical discs floating around. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Grim Dawn is at 337k+ now and has successful funding. Oh yeah, it finishes in 6 days so jump on board and claim your Kickstarter rewards!

There are some stretch goals now too.:cow_white:

Edited by Chameleon

Grim Dawn is at 337k+ now and has successful funding. Oh yeah, it finishes in 6 days so jump on board and claim your Kickstarter rewards!

There are some stretch goals now too.:cow_white:

Very good news.

Thank you for the update!

I remain, :bye:

New video, stretch goals and only 46 hours to go! Spread the word about Grim Dawn please folks! :BlobRed:

Signed Up. Boxed version as well.

Never in my life have I looked forward to another year of becoming older.

2013 cannot come fast enough!

I remain, :woot:

Only 20 hours to go!

New stretch goals. :xmastree:

$490k - 2 additional monster types (models and animations) and another 25 extra pieces of unique item art

$500k - A new dungeon art-set with a choice of catacombs or sewers that you'll get to vote on.

$520k - SURVIVAL MODE! We'll create a new gameplay mode that will be free for all backers (KS or Website Pre-order). In survival mode players will fight to stay alive against increasingly difficult waves of monsters. It will release sometime after the game so as not to delay development.

Edited by Chameleon

Kind of fell out of the loop on this game. Hadn't visited the site or talked with medierra for quite awhile. I did pre-order way back in the beginning but went ahead and upped my donation. So I'll have a few free copies to hand out in November 2013 :)

• 4 weeks later...

Only 20 hours to go!

New stretch goals. :xmastree:

$490k - 2 additional monster types (models and animations) and another 25 extra pieces of unique item art

$500k - A new dungeon art-set with a choice of catacombs or sewers that you'll get to vote on.

$520k - SURVIVAL MODE! We'll create a new gameplay mode that will be free for all backers (KS or Website Pre-order). In survival mode players will fight to stay alive against increasingly difficult waves of monsters. It will release sometime after the game so as not to delay development.

:bump:

Any further word?

I remain, :oooo:

I believe they met the top stretch goal (520k), and after failed transactions and "fees", they netted about $480k-ish. I have my game key already(!), and anticipate the Beta in 6-9 months, with Aug '13 the anticipated release.... IIRC. Those who pledged high enough to get Alpha access should be gaming in 3-5 months, head on over to the Grim Dawn site for the latest!

Update #16 I got on 5/18/12

Wow, that was an amazing last couple of days! I wasn't sure we'd see a big surge at the end given the release of Diablo 3 and our gradual but steady progress over most of the project. Yesterday was a huge day though, our 3rd biggest and today looks like certain to surpass even that!

We've already burned through all of the original stretch goals, which I honestly didn't even imagine could happen only a couple days ago. Not only are SAVAGE two-handed melee weapons going in now but we're going to have three end-game bosses and now an entire new town! Not to mention the minor goal of new / higher quality developer beer, by popular request, to replace the sad beer from Update #10. ; )

This brings us to a point where we can start considering some other ambitious goals. First, we've added a minor goal at $490k just to help expand the content with a few more monsters and items. Next is a bigger goal that will allow us to add a new dungeon art-set that you'll get to vote on between catacombs, sewers and possibly other options (currently we have cellar, cave and mine). The big goal at $520k is a new Survival gameplay mode that backers (both KS and existing website pre-orders) will get for free and which will be released after the full game (so as not to delay development). In survival mode, you'll fight against waves of increasingly difficult enemies to test your mettle and see how how many waves you can survive. Should be a ton of fun in co-op!

To top things off, we have another music track and a little work-in-progress screenshot for you. The screenshot is in-editor showing some of the monsters we have partially completed, waiting on animation, just to give you a taste of what is to come. We're also planning for some bigger, "demonier" enemies but currently we're just filling out the basics. Oh, well, yes, the Aetherial Obelisk in the back isn't just the basics, that will be more of a mini-boss encounter and you'll encounter a few of them. Also, of course, we'll be building 2 new bosses now. ; )

Now as the final hours count-down, I'll be running to the store to fulfill the develop beer stretch goal and then, while I keep an eye on the comments section, I'll be working on a final video update to thank everyone that has contributed to this life-changing past month.

Update #17 on 5/22/12

In the aftermath of Kickstarter, I wanted to talk a bit about what to expect over the next month and beyond, in terms of both development and reward fulfillment.

Game-Keys

We've gotten a few emails from people wondering when they will receive their game keys. This is going to take a little time. We can't begin to process and send out keys until we receive the final backer report from Kickstarter. After the project ends, Kickstarter / Amazon continue to try to collect payments from pledges that had failed payment transactions. This will go on for 4 more days. Then shortly after that, we should receive the final backer information and can begin processing the keys.

We expect we'll be able to send out keys in 7-10 days. We will send out an update to let you know once the keys have all been sent out. So, until you see that update, you don't have to worry about not receiving a key. If there are any people missing keys after that, we'll work with you to get it all straightened out, so don't panic.

Rewards

Different rewards will be going at different times as roughly indicated by the reward delivery estimates for each tier. Note, that game-keys will all go out first and you'll have access to whatever version of the game you pledged for as soon as it becomes available for download. The Logitech mice we already have and will send out soon, hopefully by the end of June. Other physical rewards will take longer as we need to do some work in creating them. Some, like the Crate Story, will likely ship after the game is released as we can't write that part of the story until after it happens. The physical copies of the game will also ship sometime after release since we need to press them once we have a final build of the game. You'll have your game-key already though, so you can download a digital version on release day. We don't want to delay the digital release while physical copies are manufactured.

When will the alpha / beta be ready?!

Our current estimate is that alpha may be ready by the end of this year or early next year. We're working our hardest to make this happen as soon as possible but we need to produce a certain amount of continuous, playable content and complete certain technical tasks before this can happen.

We expect beta to follow 4-6 months after alpha and then estimate August 2013 for the full release. I'm sure no one wants us to rush and release the game before it is ready though. After all, this is part of the reason we've avoided a standard publishing deal. So, please be patient; it will all pay off when we reach the finish-line.

So what's happening now? When can we see some new stuff?

I've already had a couple people asking me to release another status update on the game but, you have to understand, we've been putting a lot of energy into the KS campaign over the past month and we don't even have the money yet from it. Some progress has been made on sounds, animation and programming but, we're still just two guys with a little part-time help, who have also been running a KS campaign. So, beyond a successful KS project, there isn't a lot of tangible work to show yet.

The purpose of the KS campaign was to help accelerate development but it is going to take some time for the effects of our funding to... take effect... I'm currently working out arrangements to bring more people on full-time. Because we've exceeded our goal, we'll be able to hire some additional people too, so I'll also need to post some job opens and start interviewing people. We're also starting to get the ball rolling on additional contract work and we're attending to all the KS related details of preparing to send out keys and responding to emails. On top of all that, Rhis and I are back to frantically working away on the game. I'm doing a bunch of work to connect and flesh out the regions just beyond the starting area, so I should have something to show on that front in a couple weeks. A lot is happening right now but it will take a few weeks before it starts to bear fruit.

I'll continue to release major updates on Kickstarter for a while to ensure that they go out to all backers and I'll also be posting them on the forums. Smaller development updates, when they occur, will be posted to our Development Updates forum. If you want to receive email alerts when new updates are posted on the forum, you can use the "Forum Tools" in the top bar of each forum to "Subscribe to This Forum". We also generally send out development updates via our Facebook page.

And now, back to work!

-Arthur

Update #18 on 6/4/12

Hi Grim Dawn fans!

This update contains information about game keys going out both for those who pledged for the first time through KS and those who upgraded existing keys. Further down is some news about the results of KS and what we've been up to recently.

Kickstarter keys

If you did not upgrade from an existing game-key, then your game keys acquired through Kickstarter should have been sent out. If you haven't received an email, please check your spam box. If you don't find it there, please contact us at support@crateentertainment.com.

Upgrade keys

If you pledged on Kickstarter as an upgrade to existing keys, we've sent out an email to confirm your order information but have not yet sent out any new keys to those who will be getting additional keys. First, please check to see if our information is correct (if it is, you don't need to do anything). Once we've allowed some time for people to alert us of any mistakes and information all looks correct, we'll send out any new keys in about a week or two.

How do I use me key?! Why doesn't it work on Steam?

We've gotten a few emails from people asking where to download the game and such. Please be aware, Grim Dawn is not yet finished or even in alpha. The purpose of this Kickstarter project was to raise funds to help us get it there. We're anticipating alpha at the end of this year or early next.

As soon as any version is released, you can be sure we'll make a lot of noise about it, send out updates, post announcements, etc.

We've also had people asking why their game-keys don't work on Steam. As mentioned above, Grim Dawn hasn't yet been released in any form, so it isn't available yet anywhere, including Steam. We expect that the final game will be available to download from us directly, on Steam and possibly on other distribution sites. We also expect that keys received through Kickstarter or pre-ordered on our website will be redeemable on Steam for those who wish to use it, once we release a version and go through the Steam approval process.

We're not yet 100% certain how the alpha / beta will be distributed. We may have an early alpha through Steam or we may not be on Steam until the full release. We'll let you know once we know. For now, store your game keys in a safe place and follow along with us on the forum as we continue development.

Kickstarter results

For those who are curious, the final amount we've received from Kickstarter is about $481,000 after fees, failed transactions and such. Don't worry, this doesn't affect the stretch goals as we had already accounted for this loss in our planning. We haven't begun creating the physical rewards yet as many of them are dependent upon completing the game first but, since we kept physical rewards in higher tiers, we expect the cost of producing and shipping them will only be about 7% or less of the remaining funds. Our website pre-order system went back online a few days ago and has generated about $3500 so far.

Recent progress

After finally getting the release of funds and final backer report from Kickstarter, we've been very busy processing all that, getting keys mailed out and responding to questions. With the first wave of keys sent out, we just have to confirm our upgrade information and then we'll be able to wrap that up as well.

Though the KS work has slowed us down a bit in the past week, Grim Dawn development continues as always. We've also started interviewing people for a couple new positions, which will really help speed things along.

I'll be posting threads on the forum to discuss the new environment / dungeon probably later in the month and will send out a new update on KS once we're ready to do that.

Follow us on the Grim Dawn forum or Facebook to receive more development news as Grim Dawn progresses.