Grim Dawn - PC

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So... haven't really been keeping up with things. :sweating:

Are there people playing this game already?

Not just yet. The world is still waiting for an early release.

Starting to get really excited over this way!

I remain, :explode:

• 2 weeks later...

So many fond memories from TQ surfaces when watching that skill tree. :)

Like the old TQ from the start again, in the best possible way. Sooo exited again. ^^

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Since Knuckles has been chomping at the bit for this game for a couple of years, I finally broke down and prepaid so I can be in both the alpha and beta. Woot woot!

Cool Masteff :) Just in time too

Project Update #25: Alpha Release Tomorrow - May 15th !

And so it was on the 1385th day of development that a messenger of the Lord appeared to Crate Entertainment and said unto them, “You hath labored well and faithfully and now, at long last, thou shalt releaseth thy Grim Dawn Alpha upon the world, if it is good”. And so then did Crate know that alpha should be released, for the alpha seemed good to the. And thus they issued forth emails to the people of Humble Store and to the people of Valve saying unto them “Lo, I doth beseech you now to make good all preparations in accordance that Grim Dawn Alpha may be released with due haste!”

So yeah, it has been a long time coming but the release of Grim Dawn Alpha is nearly upon us! Let us rejoice in its coming and give thanks to the many supporters, both fans and volunteers, who made this possible. We have labored hard these last few weeks to resolve critical issues so that your first experience in Grim Dawn is not overly marred by bugs and stability issues; though certainly there will still be some less common crashes, various oddities and numerous smaller issues.

Please remember that this is an indie title developed by a tiny start-up studio with a fraction of the developers and funding of major ARPG productions. We are not really trying to compete with the big boys, at least not yet, and our small budget means we do not need to sell a large number of copies for this to be successful. There are some limitations on what we can achieve in terms of features and polish, but we have poured our hearts and years of our lives into creating Grim Dawn and feel that we have created an enjoyable experience for those interested.

I know what you are thinking now: “cut to the chase and give us the release date already”. We expect the Alpha download to go live tomorrow, May 15th. Short notice I know, but we were not screwing around when we said we planned to release it without further delay once we felt it was ready. We debated releasing next Monday to be safe but we know how eager you all are to get your hands on alpha and we are a fly by the seat of our pants kind of studio, so… here we go!

Steam keys for Grim Dawn alpha will appear in your Humble Store pages for Grim Dawn later today and the build will become available to download on Steam tomorrow between 10am and 12pm Eastern Time. To obtain the build, simply retrieve your Steam alpha key from Humble Store and then add it to your game library on Steam using “Add a Game” in the lower left under the game list. From there, select “Activate a Product on Steam” and a box will appear that will let you enter your key. The game will then appear in your library and begin downloading. Once the download is complete, you can install and play.

The initial alpha release will be distributed through Steam because that proved to be the easiest way to provide an exclusive alpha for backers and put out patches while we are still actively developing the game and fixing issues. Other download options may be rolled out later depending on how long alpha lasts / what we are able to manage. We realize that some people have a hatred of Steam and hope that it will not upset anyone excessively, but it was the fastest and best solution given the complexity of trying to set up our own authentication server due to the numerous different pre-Kickstarter / Kickstarter / post-Kickstarter reward tiers with different levels of access and numbers of keys, partnering with Humble Store to handle all the key distribution and not having given out keys that were uniquely tagged to each reward / game tier.

To be absolutely clear: there will still be a DRM-free, Steam-free final release for those who desire it, as we promised. However, if anyone just has an absolute aversion to Steam and does not want to participate, we will provide you with a full refund. To be fair though, we did say Alpha would be “exclusive” and did not say it would be DRM-free; but we also did not say it would be on Steam, as we had no idea at the time how we would actually release it. Up until recently, we were not even sure if we would be able to have the alpha on Steam for the people who wanted it, but it actually proved to be the easiest option for us when we started looking into it. So I apologize to any die-hard Steam haters. If this party is not for you, just email us at support@crateentertainment.com with the subject “alpha refund” and we will make it so.

For the rest of you, we cannot wait to hear your feedback on the alpha and will be setting up new sections on our forums for people to post alpha discussions and to report bugs. Thank you so much for your patience and continued support!

Project Update #26: How to claim your Steam Key and download Alpha

Sorry folks, it seems I left out part of the instructions for retrieving your Steam keys.

We've partnered with Humble Store to help handle the key distribution and future sales of Grim Dawn so that we can focus on development. They will be providing everyone with new Steam keys that will be used to activate the alpha.

To claim your Steam key, go to Humble Bundle, create an account with the same e-mail address you provided us on Kickstarter or to buy your original GD key if it was before the Kickstarter. When you log in, go to your library and click the Claim Past Purchases + sign. You should see GD there. Add it to your Humble Bundle account.

Once you have your key, you can use it on Steam by going to your library and below the game list on t he bottom left, clicking on "Add a Game" and then "Activate a Product on Steam". A window will pop up where you can paste in your key.

For any issues on retrieving your key or if you've had a change of email and need to update your information, simply contact the folks at Humble Store and they will get you straightened out.

Humble Store Support Page: http://support.humblebundle.com/

This has all been a learning process for us and we apologize for any confusion.

Well, that's me out of the alpha phase, as I don't want to install Steam. I'm a little disappointed it will be Steam only, but there we go. I won't be asking for the refund they offered, as access to alpha wasn't the real reason for backing this project. Hopefully, maybe for beta, there will be other, non-Steam options.

With Eth and Knuckles so excited about this game for the last year, I decided to give myself a birthday present and grab the alpha access. Had no idea there was a rotational camera! :wow:

Oh I'll cry if this game goes the way of D3 or Simcity...Been waiting too long for this one to be a dud too

Just keep thinking positive thoughts....

One thing I can't wait for is the endless dungeon where each level keeps getting harder. It won't be in game til after release though, so that's months away :(

This game...is incredible :D It's like an updated version of Titan Quest, and it plays so nice. Have only run into a few problems so far, but the Alpha build seems stable enough. Still hard to believe a 6-man team of devs came up with this one. Absolutely incredible!

Just played a few hours myself and have to say I'm hooked...Have only found a few very minor issues. For an Alpha it's pretty polished...same if it was a Beta. Having a blast playing so far.

Like how the drops are so far and the components you find are a nice addition. Real easy way to customize equip. Also like how health regens quickly outside of battle.

So far I'm liking everything I see

Like how the drops are so far and the components you find are a nice addition. Real easy way to customize equip. Also like how health regens quickly outside of battle.

I have some mixed feelings about how fast the health regens, because it makes it into a sort of kite-fest. However some of those monsters hit HARD! I died about 3 times to the same group of mages in one of the beginning caves :whistle:

Yeah I see your point on regen but since I never retreat I hadn't really thought about kiting :)

Right now getting my butt kicked by the guy (won't spoil it) in the Flooded Passage...1-2 hit killing me right now...guess I need to look at little closer at skills/equip

Liked what I saw when playing the alpha a lot, but unfortunately I've got some issues regarding very low FPS even though I turn everything down or completely off, and that the lower part of the screen is cut off so I don't fully see what I've put in my quicklsots.

I didn't get started downloading until late in the evening, so only played for a short time last night. Tonight I'll have to seriously tweak down the graphics to smooth them out; 15 minutes of play had my head and stomach spinning from motion sickness. Otherwise I'll have to try exposure therapy; I read that if you play initially in 5-10 minute blocks then your brain's motion center adjusts and you're supposed to quit getting sick from that particular activity.

Right now getting my butt kicked by the guy (won't spoil it) in the Flooded Passage...1-2 hit killing me right now...guess I need to look at little closer at skills/equip

Just had to kite this bugger for about 10 minutes for the kill, but that damage output from its skills is crazy :oooo:

Just beat the Alpha with a ranged Soldier (no secondary mastery)

1) Ranged is much easier....I found myself quite often running for my life screaming errr Strategically withdrawing repeatedly during many fights...especially bosses. Not that's a bad thing but it's definitely not a stand and click fight.

2) Really like the loot so far and being able to modify with components (Already found several blues)

3)Game is challenging right from the beginning though they will lower enemy scaling soon

4) Skills all seem to be pretty balanced and useful

5) No dual wielding (yet)

6)Graphics and music are great

7) NO multiplayer yet..though I hope we get it before the Beta

8) Over all I'm really enjoying it so far. It appears to have the replayability D3 is lacking for me. Very polished for an Alpha. No issues playing, no bugs major or minor that I have experienced yet. The game it most reminds me of is D2