Pure curiosity - installation problem.

Pure curiosity. A problem that came up during the umteenth reinstallation of Sacred 2.

During installation of Disk 1, a message came up: "error 1305 reading from file ................\pak\sector01.zip - verify that the file exists & that you can access it". Yes the file existed and I could see no reason why it was not accessible.

I selected "continue". 4 times this message came up. Eventually I pressed "ignore". The game installed, version 2.0.2, and opened without problem! All the bits of the game came up on screen as requested except the actual action itself, tho you could tell it was there from the various cursors available.

But the patch to 2.40 refused to run cos of a "changed" file ... I.e. presumably a missing file.

OK ... "Sector01.zip" had not installed.

Apart from this one file, all of the sector**.zip files had been installed, but though the name was the same as on the installation disk, the size when loaded is different.

My question is this: what happens to these files when they are 'installed', and is it possible for me to reproduce that process in order to install "sector01.zip"? ... I suspect that just copying it across will not do.

Yes, I suppose I can try to uninstall and re-install yet again ... but that is boring!

LATER: Ho Ho Ho that patch is not as clever as it thinks it is. I copied the missing file from the disk, and the patch ran

But I am still interested, out of academic interest, in what should happen to that file during installation.

Edited by Bondbug
But I am still interested, out of academic interest, in what should happen to that file during installation.

answer is in the question

copied the file from the disk

if it had kept erroring at the same point,most likely cause would be bad disk. errors that are inconsistent would likely be a rom drive issue. other culprits could be bad ram, faulty hard drive, bad cables/connections, or failing bus(bad mobo).

Thanks. You are right for the first part of my post. I will follow that one up.

But what I am also asking ... The file names on the installation CD are the same names as those in the game file when installed. But the size is slightly different, so the content is obviously changed in some way during installation.

Does anyone know what are the operations carried out between the (say) "sector04.zip" file in the drive and the "sector04.zip" in the game folder when installed? And is this something that can be done manually? Is there for instance a .txt file somewhere that controls the operation?

I don't know, but it interests me.

Edited by Bondbug