HolosBrothers Guide to Buff Suits

Well I just tested it for ya on the most recent Ice and Blood patch, (although I dont think there will be any differences between that and console) and max shield energy +xx% and willpower both effect the energy dynamically, I.e. removing them after casting you shield will have the same effect as casting it without them on. +Combat Arts however remain as they boost the base energy of the shield so a suit to boost the level of you're t-energy shroud will work. Not sure what happens if your shield goes down in battle though...will check that.

EDIT: Even if the shield goes down, the level that you boosted it to via +Combat Arts remains in effect.

Many thanks! So, we need to have the willpower/shield energy=% on the adventuring suit, but we can keep the block and absorbtion energy on the buff suit, since they are "set" upon casting?

Hrm... anyone have experience with the BFG? It's the only other buff I would wonder how it works with pre-casting.

I plan to do some testing with my level 155 canon build. I run 3 buffs so it may be interesting. I will have to do a bunch of shopping for jewels to socket first.

+all skills ? + all CA ?

Absorption Warding energy ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Hrm... anyone have experience with the BFG? It's the only other buff I would wonder how it works with pre-casting.

IIRC, everything (except the regen) stays at it's cast level with BFG (since the CA mods are applied to the weapon).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
P.S.- one quick question on my way out. If boosting buffs to such high lvls and already attaining faster then light kill speeds. Would it really be necessary to boost Combat Arts as well? :(

I realise this is a very late reply, but very relevant:

Even if buffs give you ability to kill very fast, boosting Combat Arts would increase that speed obviously. A one-shot will remain a one-shot. However, this does give you room to stack up defensive attributes on gear instead of offensive. And we all know you can never have too much health!

I always keep one important thing in mind:

- He who wants to be fast, may just reach the end sooner than expected.

P.S.- one quick question on my way out. If boosting buffs to such high lvls and already attaining faster then light kill speeds. Would it really be necessary to boost Combat Arts as well? :)

I realise this is a very late reply, but very relevant:

Even if buffs give you ability to kill very fast, boosting Combat Arts would increase that speed obviously. A one-shot will remain a one-shot. However, this does give you room to stack up defensive attributes on gear instead of offensive. And we all know you can never have too much health!

I always keep one important thing in mind:

- He who wants to be fast, may just reach the end sooner than expected.

Thanks Xen!

I have learned much since last June. I now feel we can infact pump Combat Arts coupled with buff suits. Why not? [1] shot is afterall [1] shot.

Infact, I now tend to pump most of my CA pool well over malus. Relying on RpH to do my dirty work. I have had [1] character who was pumped up so far above malus. She [Duel Wield Seraphim] could [1] shot Champions. In the end, lost her to the Abashi. What goes around comes around it seems. As the Abashi ended up [1] shoting me aswell.

I remain, ;)

• 1 month later...

Quick question - does casting your buff whilst having regen penalty from buffs reduced % items ( eg Rancuils dark flame) and then switching weapons give you the regen advantage? ( hope I worded that correctly)

Quick question - does casting your buff whilst having regen penalty from buffs reduced % items ( eg Rancuils dark flame) and then switching weapons give you the regen advantage? ( hope I worded that correctly)

Yes

:)

Yes

Nice. I got a few items to try out then.

Also gonna add that amulets / rings with aspects ( eg Cab Voodoo aspect + 5) will work as well (giving a bonus to all arts/ buff).

Edited by Augmint

Yes

So unyeilding wall is handy then. Another question - has anyone (with a bargainer) gotten a ring or amulet with Plus combat arts and % reduced regen penalty from buffs?

I don't remember if I have seen one of those with those particular attributes together yet. I'm sure if you shop long and hard enough that would show up.

So unyeilding wall is handy then. Another question - has anyone (with a bargainer) gotten a ring or amulet with Plus combat arts and % reduced regen penalty from buffs?

I'll say again : Yes.

But as Furian said, it's really rare and hard to find.

Edited by Woody
  • 1 month later...

Here's a question, I'm starting a Source Warden TG, Will a buff suit work with Untouchable Force? I have made one but I don't see anything in the sigma that would help me to know.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question, I'm starting a Source Warden TG, Will a buff suit work with Untouchable Force? I have made one but I don't see anything in the sigma that would help me to know.

Sorry I missed this question, Furian! Was busy taking vacations, digging ditches (for the spring melt), buying a PC, yada, yada... but it is a pretty interesting question, since UF only affects enemies within cc range, Sacred must check its values whenever something comes in close, at each pulse of the CA. Which value does it check?

I almost never use UF, so I wasn't sure what mods it had, but it looks like the Gold mod 'crumble' should add "block chance:projectiles" and that will show in the info screen.

I am confident that UF works with the "buffing" strategy, but not 100%... I guess a better test would be to try out the field damage mods and test in PvP, if it is really that important.

• 10 months later...

Got a question thats part Damage miti / part BUFF suit.

The Inquisitor gets Damage miti on his Inure GOLD mod for PC.

From the wiki.

The inquisitor sustains less damage. (9.9% + 0.1% per CA level damping)

So just how high can people go with Plus combat arts. He gets 10% at level 1, 20 at Level 100 PC , 30 at 200 PC

Can he get up to 400? even 500? That's serious damage miti along with Toughness.

I know Tinworas would be the weapon of choice, double stacked combat arts, native PC on items plus slots.

I'm playing FA not blood and ice.

Also, as a side question - with inure you forgo hallow - Adds more damage. (18% + 2% per CA level increase to all damage).

So can an Inquisitor. deal high damage without it - IN NIOB - if he's playing close combat style with Ruthless mutilation and callous execution?

From the wiki.

So just how high can people go with Plus combat arts. He gets 10% at level 1, 20 at Level 100 PC , 30 at 200 PC

Can he get up to 400? even 500? That's serious damage miti along with Toughness.

I know Tinworas would be the weapon of choice, double stacked combat arts, native PC on items plus slots.

Also, as a side question - with inure you forgo hallow - Adds more damage. (18% + 2% per CA level increase to all damage).

So can an Inquisitor. deal high damage without it - IN NIOB - if he's playing close combat style with Ruthless mutilation and callous execution?

Hrm, missed this one, Augmint, sorry!

With FA, IIRC depending on your version, you should have "unlimited" ability to eat runes (cap is 32k runes I think), so you may actually get higher returns with +skills (increasing your level without penalty) than pure +CA. Interesting question, really.

If you get 100% mitigation, though, PC becomes useless for the WIDD, so that is another question entirely. I'm pretty sure you should have no issues killing stuff, but bosses may not be quick battles. Safe, but slow.

From the wiki.

Hrm, missed this one, Augmint, sorry!

With FA, IIRC depending on your version, you should have "unlimited" ability to eat runes (cap is 32k runes I think), so you may actually get higher returns with +skills (increasing your level without penalty) than pure +CA. Interesting question, really.

If you get 100% mitigation, though, PC becomes useless for the WIDD, so that is another question entirely. I'm pretty sure you should have no issues killing stuff, but bosses may not be quick battles. Safe, but slow.

I should've added that I meant eating only one rune, then getting high PC buff from items. My bad.

I have a NIOB' Inquisitor at level 116, I think he can get up to 400 PC just need to do alot of shopping. I'll post what I find.

I know +skills was nerfed in the AddOn - did they nerf + combat arts too?

I will freely admit that I have never tried to see just how high I can get a CA, but 400 sounds outlandish to me. Can you explain how you will get that high?

Pre Ice and Blood there was no real cap on ca level/runes read so with alot of runes and a lot of un-nerfed +all skills some high numbers were possible, I'm not sure how high people ever got their Combat Arts though.

I should've added that I meant eating only one rune, then getting high PC buff from items. My bad.

I have a NIOB' Inquisitor at level 116, I think he can get up to 400 PC just need to do alot of shopping. I'll post what I find.

I know +skills was nerfed in the AddOn - did they nerf + combat arts too?

Not too sure about that, Augmit. I think it was, IIRC.

I will freely admit that I have never tried to see just how high I can get a CA, but 400 sounds outlandish to me. Can you explain how you will get that high?

Pre Ice and Blood there was no real cap on ca level/runes read so with alot of runes and a lot of un-nerfed +all skills some high numbers were possible, I'm not sure how high people ever got their Combat Arts though.

@Lujate: Careful shopping can get you items with both +Aspect: and +Combart Art (all, or buff) AND 2 sockets. The highest I've seen around level 120-ish is +12 to aspect and buff, 2 sockets for jewellery (since Niob runes only give +6, rings and ammys go higher, we want jewellery)... 400 seems like a good challenge to hit, but not unfathomable with the pre-IB game.

I can't say I've gotten anywhere near level 200 Combat Arts. Definietly not enough patience and too many "total restarts" (ie console crashes, erasing all saved data) to get higher than that. I've eaten that many runes, but the toon never got high enough level to properly leverage it - add more levels via gear, raise HCALWP enough, yada yada.

I was thinking Tinworas, dual stacked + combat arts, native + PC buff on items with 2 slots or more. I forgot that eating runes scales, so I geuss its the same with having them via items. My test Inquisitor I was gonna use for shopping needs alot more gold.

I think eating one PC rune and getting maybe 250, 300 could be possible - 400 sounds ambitious now that I think about it. I thought bringing up how high people got with their Buff suits would be a natural side topic.

Edited by Augmint

I like the question of how high can you get your buff. Off-hand, I think my Seraphim has about +140 or so. It was higher but I was able to raise her actual CA level by swapping CA+'s for other bonuses and that gave a higher CA level.

• 8 years later...

Seems I am getting old. I always thought that I posted another variant here already: The alchemy suit.

Before I wrote a guide about a melee high elf in the old German Sacred forum, I wrote an Alchemy guide. I placed my idea for using a alchemy suit in this guide, but even a lot of my guides here in Darkmatters use alchemy, I never mentioned the Alchemy suit.

Reserve a slot for alchemy trophies: use weapons/shields/sockets which boost duration of potions/trophies and/or the alchemy skill.

This way alchemy can be a one point wonder.

All these nice trophies and potions which could be quaffed before a boss fight.