Lord of the rings online Free Play!

Soooo. I thought I would share this, and maybe hope that a few of the old gang would like to come and see, (Come to the EU servers though, Snowbourn ;) )

FREEEE play option, No pay so you can come and enjoy the beautiful world, the only one that makes me not miss Sacred 1 so much.

Check out all the chatter here

Would be great to see some old faces :whip: I do miss everyone so much!

:gun2:

Great post Ari! I was just about to post that too.

One of my friends played LOTRO for some time, and I always wanted to try it.

Max

Turbines new business strategy is F2P mixed a little with p2p.

Like DDO is now.

That made DDO wery popular, now more than 1 million steady gamers. That makes money for steady updates & new quests.

So actually not totally bad.

Exept crowded servers in weekends rofl.

I know that I would love it... *while singing out loud* but I won't click that link and you can't maaaaaaaaaaaaake me... I'm not going to lose my life or soul....

noooooooooooo

:thumbsup:

gogo

• 3 months later...

I'm really bogged down with other games at the moment, so I can't pick up either D&D Online or the Lord of the Rings game. The only multiplayer game I might have time to get into would be Diablo 3 when it's released(possibly next year).

• 3 months later...

Glad you started this Arilaftia - I was just about to do so.

I tried Lotro a year ago and had so many problems with the demo, then downloading the game itself that I abandonned. I paid a sub, but got no response, guidance or anything. Not entirely their fault perhaps as my credit card was pirated about then and there was a delay sorting out the payment thro Paypal.

But they kept sending me emails, which went into the bin, till suddenly it became free, and I was offered 5 chars per server as an existing client!

So I tried again. No problem. Downloaded and installed sweetly and I have been playing ever since. Even got my wife (LOTR fanatic)signed up - but 2 chars only .. Ha ...Ha!

It is great. I have had no problems. The forum is good. The few players I interact with on-line have been great. I spend a lot of time mining, cutting wood, farming etc, with 4 chars on the same server interacting by post! It is a game that you can take at your own speed. I like that.

Highly recommended for all reasonably sane players.

OK Gogo ... be a devil and glance thro the WIKI and the lorebook. Promise it won't bite. :agreed:

• 3 weeks later...

I see the real pro's are on Snowbourn. The grandpa's are on Withywindle - couldn't resist that name. Crafting like mad, not levelling much, trying out all the various combinations/characters, nothing above level 16 yet. Nice thing about it is there is no rush, no pressure, play it as the fancy takes you. Have not spent a penny yet, but no doubt the day will come. Fabulous scenery especially the rolling downs of the Shire. Not too crowded. Explore, fish, do a quest when the fancy takes you, get killed a lot.

Relaxing - at level 16 :whistle:

Quite happy pottering there till I can get Sacred 2 working.

• 5 months later...

Argh! I am suffering the agonies of withdrawal symptoms. My hard drive crashed and has been diagnosed with several damaged clusters in the boot sector and I have been without my computer for 6 days. 6 days without LOTRO, this is torture! :o

My level 18 Dwarf Champion is sitting forlornly on the Barrow Downs playing with his 2-Handed Battleaxe, waiting for his new set of armour which has still not been made by my level 19 Hobbit Guardian Armourer, who is waiting for a new supply of leather from my level 15 Hobbit Warden. He is busilly hunting the North bree fields for hides, while my level 16 Minstrel is crafting protective runes and jewellry for them all. Meanwhile, my new Captain is still stuck in the intro, surrounded by Blackwold Bandits.

But they are all waiting on me and I am waiting for a new hard drive!

(screams in frustration) :viking:

I need my LOTRO fix! :drool:

Edited by podgie_bear
  • 8 months later...

Well, I finally got onto the LOTRO band wagon and it's been a distasteful experience. The game so far is great but... I had to download the game using Pando, and this is where my foul taste comes along: first of all I don't normally read the pages and pages of terms and conditions, because as an honest gamer, I normally take for granted that I won't be crossing any legal boundries, but I suppose somewhere along the line, there would have been some text informing me that Pando will be running in the background and use up all my bandwidth!!

Now the LOTRO client is a fairly hefty download for a capped user, but I bit the bullet and just about used up all my bandwidth downloading the game. Looking forward to some extensive game over the next week while I'm on leave, I started a few hours today. But suddenly after a few hours of play, the game pauses and quits... Holy Hannah!? I then check my bandwidth status and realize that it's depleted! So without me knowing, this Pando P2P software used up about 3Gig of bandwidth without my knowledge. I since uninstalled Pando, but I'm afraid that it's a little late and I won't be enjoying the game this month any longer...

Lessons in life I suppose, but for anyone planning to download this game and is stuck with capped bandwidth, take this as a serious warning and uninstall Pando the moment the game is done downloading.

As for the few hours I got to play the game, it's actually a real nice looking game. I did not download the High Res version, but I'm actually amazed by the quality of gfx for the standard version. In essence it's Wow with LotR setting - but it's free. :BlobRed:

So I bought an additional bit of bandwidth, but then had to use up a good portion to download yesterday's patch (Update 6 - 12/03/2012), but I'm not complaining this time 'round. I finally got stuck into this game and it's actually a really nice game. I started with a hunter, but was so amused by the minstrel that I had to get one going and at the moment I'm really enjoying running around hurting critters with my harp. I think he's aptly name Coconofix (distant cousin of Cacofonix who also tends to dish out oodles of pain with he's music). :Just_Cuz_21: