The Last Airbender

I've never seen the Anime...but I have loved the trailer since day one. The image of arrows and other flaming projectiles rising upwards from a sea of packed boats thrills me.

The only thing that makes me wary is the director, M.Night Shimalayan.

His first movie was a masterpiece, so much that it's most famous line has become a well-touted piece of cheese.

His latest movies now make me want to pour boric acid into my eyes.

:D

gogo

The cartoon was great. But I would think that this movie would surely need to have been a trilogy(water, earth and fire) to tell the full story. And that might not be a gamble since the cartoon brings a different age group of viewers.

But I am looking forward to it since it would be quite nice to see the element effects.

P.S.: I really dont like Aangs air marking they should have been single full color not like detail tattoos.

Just finished doing a marathon of all three seasons of the cartoon. I so hope he gets the humor from the TV show, though I have a feeling the movie is going to be a tad darker. Either way, it looks AWESOME!

P.S.: I really dont like Aangs air marking they should have been single full color not like detail tattoos.

^ Totally agree. It wasn't a tattoo he had. Ah well, I guess Hollywood gets to make movies unique in their own way.

ahh finally! I used to read these short stories to my nephew in New Mexico before our son was born. For little tikes short stories, I actually really got into the story arc.

Lets hope for the best!

I remain, Etherian

So, good news for those that are fans of the show. Shamalyan is following the show, he is making the movie into a trilogy. He is calling it his Star Wars. Now there were rumors of him wanting to cut Appa from the movie, but his kids are utterly massive fans of the show and begged him not to, so we do indeed get to see the flying water buffalo! As to where I got the info, it's in this months Sci Fi Magazine, but the article isn't online yet. However, we do have the final trailer before the movie release. It's located here! http://www.sfcrowsnest.com/articles/news/2...ender-14902.php

Once I can find the article, I post a link!

That is very good news indeed.

I hate it when they cram 4 seasons (or books) of anime into a single movie. You just can't grasp it.

Allso the fact that the main storyline is split up into 3 major parts, makes it logical to make 3 movies about it.

I'll be watching it when it comes out :)

ps:

His latest movies now make me want to pour boric acid into my eyes.

Use fluoric acid. Much more potent.

[NERDMODE]

In fact, it is stored in containers made out of teflon, because that's one of the few things it wont burn though. Glass, metal, bathtubs, plastic containers, you name it. This stuff will burn through it like its cardboard.

[/NERDMODE]

• 3 weeks later...

I went to see this with my boys Saturday morning. And without spoiling anything, I will say:

1. I enjoyed it, as it was very family oriented.

2. It is most certainly meant to have a sequel or 2 at least

3. The CG animation is very believable,impressive and exciting.

4. We will be anxiously awaiting the sequel.

I went to see this with my boys Saturday morning. And without spoiling anything, I will say:

1. I enjoyed it, as it was very family oriented.

2. It is most certainly meant to have a sequel or 2 at least

3. The CG animation is very believable,impressive and exciting.

4. We will be anxiously awaiting the sequel.

Thats a relief, music to my ears.

Off to see the movie with Wife & Son. hmm...tomorrow perhaps after a night of fireworks. :bounce:

I remain, Etherian

I am 100% sure that the movie is a trilogy. Since after the tittle it said Book 1 - Water. :4rofl:

I have mixed feelings about this movie after seeing it. First of all I really think that the screen play was done poorly. It is true that the had to cover a lot of events from the first cartoon season non the less the way that did it was very bad. My problem is not with things they left out since thats perfectly normal they cant have everything in a movie but the things they have in it are not connected. Even I who have watched the cartoon had a hard time following what was going on and where they where going next. Some references to the places where used different in different dialogues and if you are watching this for the first time its very confusing. The comical aspect was so low with one or two jokes set out of place. Aang didnt make a single joke. As for character connection lets just say this is the worst of them all. This are very deep characters and when I watched the movie I had hard time connecting with and of them. They just rushed the story telling jumping from one place to the next with out any meaning.

When it comes to the CG I have a bit better feelings to say. I loved the bending with all the elements it was done great. I love CG Momo he was great. Now comes there greatest challenge Appa. Well Appa was done great when you look at him from the distance and thats more or less how we saw him the hole movie no close contact with him and little face to see. The one time they did show him he was so badly done I think he will give kids nightmares. My thoughts on this are is they should have spent all the time the spent on making dragon for Aang to talk to in the spirit world(instead of Avatar Roku which was the normal way of things) on making a better Appa face.

About the remaining characters I really didnt like there choice for Fire Lord Ozai. Apart from the actors short hear he doesnt give you any feeling of power or fear or danger he is just another guy in the movie. Then theres Iroh. The actor really tries his best to portray the wise and gentle but powerful fire bender and he does this great in the time he is given and the dialog he has to work with but they must have done something with his weight. A big part of Iroh was his over weight appearance which made him look harmless which was so far from the truth. Last I will say about Prince Zuko. Really dont get way they didnt make his scar bigger on the face and cut his hear off. In the first season and in this movie that was a very big part of the character showing off the mental state he is in. This way they dont leave anything for a visual transformation of Zuko in the movies to come.

Ok I am more or less done. lol But go and see the movie your self and shear your thought. :P

lol, in many ways I am very glad to have never seen the cartoon series. I was able to enjoy the movie without ever having "read the book" so to speak. The story and acting were more on par with a nickelodeon show than a blockbuster movie, but I was OK with that as I expected a kids movie.

Cheers

Ahh you havnt seen them Loco. Ok let me ask you this how did you see the story flow?

Wasnt it all over the place for you?

To some extent it was noticeable that there was a much bigger story that was not being told. they skipped a great deal of the earth realm to get to the northern water city imo. So for this to be 1 hr 45 movie seemed very brief in contrast to LOTR being around 3 hours each. But 1 hour 45 min is about all the demographic will sit still at 1 time I guess. It really left you wishing there was more. more detail, more story, more over the amazing visuals. like I said in my other post. obviously there will be a sequel and We wish it would be here next week.

Otherwise I did enjoy it very much

Haven't seen it yet but I really want to. It is definitely a movie I would love to see. I might be going to the movie theaters on Friday. I always loved the anime series, I was not consistant on watching the show, but every time I did it was truly amusing!

-TwinPower

Took my family to see this yesterday. I have to say, I was dissapointed. Reading the mini-stories filled with so much depth. I had walked into the theater expecting alittle more...

Then again, Loco brought up a great and valid point. The demographic tells the director how long or short the film must be, afterall this wasnt meant to be LOTR trilogy. Totally different demograph.

Still mixed, for certain, the film crew could have done a better job with the material.

I remain, Etherian

~p.s.~ our 3 yr. old Phoenix loved the movie, couldn't get his eyes off the screen. Great for children!

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see this movie today because the servers were down. I have both positive and negative feeling about the movie. The positive was that it had amazing special effects, very nice scenery/background settings, very good storyline, and is part of a trilogy. The negatives for me were that the acting at the beginning was fairly bad - reminded me of a classic "cheesy" scripting - but picked up later on. I thought that more use of certain events -one epic one near the end- should have been used better. I also feel that more prominent actors in the movie would have helped with the acting. The fight scenes were very cool, and loved the concept of air, water, earth, and fire. Overall I'd rate it a 7.5/10 :tease:

The release dates for this film are very odd. Even in Europe they're all over the shop, from 8th July in the Ukraine to the 28th Oct in Greece... Even in Switzerland there are three different dates for the different language versions (28th July for French, 5th Aug for German & 24th Sept for Italian).

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone else seen it yet?

Press is slaughtering the movie here, no depth, rubbish acting, rushed and incomplete storyline...

I think I'm not going.

To be harsh... some of those descriptions could be true. On the kinder side....amazing visuals and action CG graphics, intended to be a sequel, for younger audience with short attention span