I thought they made up Niobium. Like adamantine. Nope. It's a real metal.

Discovered over a hundred years ago... which means I memorized it's name the atomic number when I learned the periodic table.

Did anyone else not know it was a metal? If you did know, how many years ago did you study about it/learn that fact?

lol, good question. I knew it was a metal, but I'm actually unsure whether "knew" it was a metal because of Sacred 2 or not.

I can't think of this metal without thinking of Sacred anymore.

;)

gogo

I knew it was a metal as I first wondered about it when I played S1 and searched around a little, make sense since all the other difficulties/stages in Sacred are named after metals.

High school chem. 39 years ago. Wow -- it's been a long time now that I think about it.

And so many new elements discovered (created?) since . . . we're at 118 or some such number now. I just remember that Technetium (is it 42 or 43?) was the only non naturally occurring element that was not transuranic. Perhaps it has been found since.

On another note, I would have thought that osmium would have been the metal of choice, rather than niobium, as it is (as far as I recall) the densest metal. To my recollection, there was nothing especially unique about niobium.

From Wikipedia:

"It was not until the early 20th century that niobium was first used commercially. Brazil is the leading producer of niobium and ferroniobium, an alloy of niobium and iron. Niobium is used mostly in alloys, the largest part in special steel such as that used in gas pipelines. Although alloys contain only a maximum of 0.1%, that small percentage of niobium improves the strength of the steel. The temperature stability of niobium-containing superalloys is important for its use in jet and rocket engines. Niobium is used in various superconducting materials. These superconducting alloys, also containing titanium and tin, are widely used in the superconducting magnets of MRI scanners. Other applications of niobium include its use in welding, nuclear industries, electronics, optics, numismatics and jewelry. In the last two applications, niobium's low toxicity and ability to be coloured by anodisation are particular advantages."

I did knew it's a metal, but unsure if I ever read (learned) about it @ school..

I rather think I came upon it just because of sacred. after I googled it up for S1 years ago..

but what I DO remember from school,

isn't Niobium+Physics/Chemistry..

I do remember it from ancient mythology / History lessons:

Niobe = daughter of Tantalos, sister of Pelops...

btw: also, Niobium, element = in 5. period/group ... 'Niobium' in sacred = 5th difficulty ..br>sl>g>p>nb )

Ah so in gogo's favorite movie unobtainium must have been from the same family as adamantine

Oh I almost lmao'd in theatre when they started mentioning that. Unobtainium. Crazy writers :thumbsupsmiley:

I knew, spent too much time using a table of elements at high school in chemistry and physics a couple of years back. Dont do much chemistry know at uni, but in physics we learnt about the whole super conductor thing briefly and niobium came up. They use them to make SQUIDS.

I remember it from school also.

I can understand the difficulties having metallic names, but Niobium is a strange choice. I would have probably gone with Titanium.

Perhaps, but Titanium has a lower value than gold or platinum and is a little too common. If not osmium, perhaps palladium, eh?

Perhaps, but Titanium has a lower value than gold or platinum and is a little too common. If not osmium, perhaps palladium, eh?
Iridium? Rhodium?

I figured Titanium, simply because it is well known and the name sounds cool :thumbsupsmiley:

Wonder what would happen if CERN tossed osmium & palladium into the Large Hadron Collider? :thumbsupsmiley:

I remain, Etherian

Wonder what would happen if CERN tossed osmium & palladium into the Large Hadron Collider? :thumbsupsmiley:

I remain, Etherian

I have put my elite team of scientists to work on this problem.

The visualization department have constructed an illustration of their initial report. You can find it here.

as a chemist.. I was aware. :)

Allso, I think U (uranium) would be a better choise.

In it's a very heavy isotope, so it's written in the 'later part' of the atomic table. Which refers to lategame

It's valuable, as ar the items in Niob

It can release lots of energy with fission. Niob characters have a lot of power too.

some of it's isotopes are unstable (as are most ppl crazy enough to level a character to max niob ;))

it's the perfect match.

Edited by promatolya

Niob, we used it at work a few times. I remember CERN ate up a much of Niob because it is a superconductor, also magnet resonance tomographs use it. The main use at our company was to make covers for pacemakers for hearts.

Given that niob was planed to shock you with hard hitting enemies, perhaps they named it after the material which is used to cover pacemakers. Because you need them to survive all these heart attack you get from fighting x% life leech enemies in niob :)

Another posibility: first bronze was used for jewellery, then silver, good, platinum and nowadays piercings are made from niob.

Finding names for new elements

When I was studying applied maths at Giessen I had to hear physics too to learn about explosive welding. The university of giessen was researching in ion engines for satellites. We did a big party a few years ago when an ion engine designed for position control was used to bring the artemis satellite into orbit after the chemical rocket failed.

We worked close together with the GSI (Gesellschaft für SchwerIonen Forschung, intitute for heavy ion research) which is in Hessen too. I remember one of the GSI guys saying that creating a new element was easier than creating the name for it.

Element 108 was discovered at GSI which was paid by the german state Hessen. So they wanted it to be named after the state. Hessium was soon thrown away because Hess was second to Hitler in the nazi regime. Chattium (latin name for Hessen, like my nickname) was not taken too out of some reasons, sounding similiar to Cadmium or something like this.

So they finally used the midage word for Hessen: Hassia and named it Hassium. I was told that many of the research team thought that it was a fitting name after discussing a name for nearly a decade. Hass is the german word for hate and they started to hate the politics in finding a name.

Finding names for new elements

When I was studying applied maths at Giessen I had to hear physics too to learn about explosive welding. The university of giessen was researching in ion engines for satellites. We did a big party a few years ago when an ion engine designed for position control was used to bring the artemis satellite into orbit after the chemical rocket failed.

We worked close together with the GSI (Gesellschaft für SchwerIonen Forschung, intitute for heavy ion research) which is in Hessen too. I remember one of the GSI guys saying that creating a new element was easier than creating the name for it.

Element 108 was discovered at GSI which was paid by the german state Hessen. So they wanted it to be named after the state. Hessium was soon thrown away because Hess was second to Hitler in the nazi regime. Chattium (latin name for Hessen, like my nickname) was not taken too out of some reasons, sounding similiar to Cadmium or something like this.

So they finally used the midage word for Hessen: Hassia and named it Hassium. I was told that many of the research team thought that it was a fitting name after discussing a name for nearly a decade. Hass is the german word for hate and they started to hate the politics in finding a name.

And all the really new ones without real names they just use a lame systematic naming scheme with the words getting their roots from latin/greek.

We should make up our own.

Darkobium

Stuff black holes are made from

Nah...it would be [D.a.r.k]obium :)

I've heard it already exists, sorry.

it was initially discovered at the bottom of a d.a.r.k , deep mystic lake .

that site is called [D.a.r.k]Ness , and made the monster living in it to be crazy, like about something sacred called "2" or so..

Edited by Rotluchs
  • 1 month later...

I read somewhere that Osmium has the highest density of all minerals in the world, and that a 4-inch cube made entirely out of Osmium would weigh 220 pounds!

Now THAT's a heavy metal.

Be sure to tell me if they find any hard rocks or progressive jazzes.