High Damage Ice Elf Build

Finally!

This is great Gogo, excellent write up. It reads like the tale of a great magician, rather than a collection of separate blocks of text.

The video is an brilliant addition to the build, props to Schot for his work.

Looking forward to trying it out :P

Edited by dreeft

A wonderful build gogo. Being able to be part of the process has given me a real appreciation to the fun little build you've put together. Especially working on the vid with you! That was sooo much fun. Excellent specs write up on what you forge into your slots. That's probably very important for many readers and yes; I imagine that the write up was very exhausting. :P

Great job gogo!

Ugh... Those heads... :)

Nice build indeed, Gogo. That proved to me that the Ice Elf is a real killer too. Gonna see, if I'm gonna respec my own one. ^^

Great build gogo! We finally get to see what makes your lady tick. What sorta damage does each shard do to a guardian and how many shards are there? The damage they do is insane, I didnt imagine something that wasnt %LL could be so powerful, completely changed the way I think about magic wielding toons...might have to have a try at one...

Magnificent write up here gogo :)

Only thing that makes this build impossible to use for me as Guardian farmer is the huge FPS drop when using GT and all thorns hit at once, down in 2-3 FPS instantly.

Schot, you will surely burn in hell for putting such an addictive tune on the vid! Damn you!

Gogo, out of curiosity, what mods did you go for on Raging Nimbus?

WHOA, the vail has been lifted. The vault door is slowly opening...

My spider senses are tingling. Is a build library in the works? I'll lay the foundation by hand, brick by brick!

Amazing write-up!

Secrets are secrets no more...time to revisit the mighty HE.

I remain, Etherian

Edited by Etherian

Amazing work on this Guide! Can't wait for the final part of it.

I wanted to make an Ice Elf as a possible next character, and this one ism really gonna help me.

Also thanks to Schot for making such a nice video! :sweating:

Max

Finally!

This is great Gogo, excellent write up. It reads like the tale of a great magician, rather than a collection of separate blocks of text.

The video is an brilliant addition to the build, props to Schot for his work.

Looking forward to trying it out :)

Post pix and videos or how you are doing with build. I was wondering about how a build like this could be awesome for you because of your lag. Magician's tale...I like that

A wonderful build gogo. Being able to be part of the process has given me a real appreciation to the fun little build you've put together. Especially working on the vid with you! That was sooo much fun. Excellent specs write up on what you forge into your slots. That's probably very important for many readers and yes; I imagine that the write up was very exhausting. :)

Great job gogo!

Musical, cinematical maestro and heavy duty toon car driver in the depths on the way to the Guardians... next time no stopping for gas :o

Nice work and build gogo. :)

I love this elf. ^^

Thank you Woody. I was thinking about you and our conversation we had had about Pure Magic builds. *high fives* They are indeed awesome in ice and blood

Nicely done. Love the Nimbus, too!

Nimbus has now become my favorite mass kill spell. It's got great rhythym, is kind of a pacifier for my high fired energy... a great contrast in terms of effect and sound from Darting Assault. Soothing in fact ^^

Haha Sweet build, Love the devestation on the Guardians. (nice vid Schot).

I could not ask for more destruction in a video. We did two takes, with Schot scoffing at my own, and then having his hand on the second. Ayup...his kix arse

Nice vid and build, only thing I didn't like was that bigheadmode :P

ah ha lol... Arperrum, you know...we've had that big head mod running now for so long...I don't even think I know what the game loox like normally anymore :o

I love how that looks!

But I have to ask, why is her head so big?!

Ask Arperum :P

Ugh... Those heads... :P

Nice build indeed, Gogo. That proved to me that the Ice Elf is a real killer too. Gonna see, if I'm gonna respec my own one. ^^

I had thought for the longest time that it was the Dryad that was the most ranged fun, the deadliest killer. I may soon come to believe that the Agent or her next version could be just as good...but simply different.

Great build gogo! We finally get to see what makes your lady tick. What sorta damage does each shard do to a guardian and how many shards are there? The damage they do is insane, I didnt imagine something that wasnt %LL could be so powerful, completely changed the way I think about magic wielding toons...might have to have a try at one...

Yes! Finally proof that a pure magic build can hold up to it's melee/ranged counterparts. I actually have a ranged Dryad in Niobium and she can take down Guardians in seconds, this was what I was trying to beat with this build. She has leech, and coming from two sources...weapon and armor... a huge amount in fact. The agent is not there yet, but maybe with some tinkering... The interesting thing is that I still have a Combat Discipline Mastery to go with this build, which means a damage boost at mastery, and I'm a bit behind with perfect socketing...and with a regen of 0.2 seconds on the Thorns..it means there is room to put in even more damage in. It's nice to see that other lines of builds are competitive with the leech..who knows what else is out there.

Regarding how many thorns per, right now she's shooting 135 thorns at 330 degrees with sheet damage of 5720 per shard. Course that damage can go up/down depending on resistances, and it loves to critical. I've still got the first run of of the Agent on Xfire, you can see her live damage on it here:

Looks good! Thanks for the write up.

It's a pleasure, Kriv! I've been dreaming about this build for a while now, it's finally awesome to have it up.

Magnificent write up here gogo :)

Only thing that makes this build impossible to use for me as Guardian farmer is the huge FPS drop when using GT and all thorns hit at once, down in 2-3 FPS instantly.

I can see this kind of Combat Art being laggy. In fact, when I'm in the mode of doing many guardian runs in a row, I change the resolution from what you saw in the movie. I usually run in lowest settings for the Thorns to travel as quickly as possible across screen...but in this case, with Schot being so picky we opted to up the graphics to highest ...but just for this. I still blame you for the Guardians Addiction :P

Schot, you will surely burn in hell for putting such an addictive tune on the vid! Damn you!

Gogo, out of curiosity, what mods did you go for on Raging Nimbus?

He'll burn in hell anyway llama :P The song's from this awesome group called Propellerheads.

. Brit secret agent stuff which was the inspiration for the build...James Bond goes Ancaria! About Nimbus... lol, I ran out of points to mod it all the way...I chose to mod instead the Cascade,...thank god! :) However... the one mod I did get to add to Nimbus has made a huge difference...I chose Wrath... the other choice, which increases cycle I said bleh to... with such fast regens pouring into the build at this point... even a combo with three Combat Arts in it is 0.4...so I can spam it probably faster than any cycle the game will gave....plus that base damage has fabulous synergy with the Crystal skin buff... I would choose, when I do finally get points, as next two... Roar, to reduce the Chance to Hit of the Guardians...and Extended Nimbus... can you imagine the power of this storm over more of the screen? :crazy:

WHOA, the vail has been lifted. The vault door is slowly opening...

My spider senses are tingling. Is a build library in the works? I'll lay the foundation by hand, brick by brick!

Amazing write-up!

Secrets are secrets no more...time to revisit the mighty HE.

I remain, Etherian

Cat's out of the bag... Pure magic builds rock! *high fives @ Etherian*

Amazing work on this Guide! Can't wait for the final part of it.

I wanted to make an Ice Elf as a possible next character, and this one ism really gonna help me.

Also thanks to Schot for making such a nice video! :)

Max

Max, thank you for the words! I'll always remember your elf last year... when the game first came out, I remember that you were the first High Elf that I saw in action and will always remember you, me and someone else...lol, I'm not sure anymore who it was...us, the trio, freshly trying out all the magic in the game. Give the Agent a go, you will not be dissapointed.

Thanks everyone for your excitement and encouragement. I'll spend a bit more time with the build and put up some pix of equipment.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

He'll burn in hell anyway llama :P The song's from this awesome group called Propellerheads.
. Brit secret agent stuff which was the inspiration for the build...James Bond goes Ancaria! About Nimbus... lol, I ran out of points to mod it all the way...I chose to mod instead the Cascade,...thank god! :lol: However... the one mod I did get to add to Nimbus has made a huge difference...I chose Wrath... the other choice, which increases cycle I said bleh to... with such fast regens pouring into the build at this point... even a combo with three Combat Arts in it is 0.4...so I can spam it probably faster than any cycle the game will gave....plus that base damage has fabulous synergy with the Crystal skin buff... I would choose, when I do finally get points, as next two... Roar, to reduce the Chance to Hit of the Guardians...and Extended Nimbus... can you imagine the power of this storm over more of the screen? :)

I've been thinking about the mods for Nimbus:

Hurricane: Increased RoF, can't be replicated by any other mods on equipment (or buffs).

Wrath: More base damage to be boosted by other mods, good synergies with Crystal Skin damage mod.

Momentum: Further reduction on movement speed (bleurgh, probably someone will want this...)

Roar: Attack value reduction on targets affected by RN. One thing that I don't understand at the moment is how long this effect lasts (is it "permanent" until the monster dies, timed on a short/long timer), how it's applied (once per cast or once per hit, if it's the latter, this would have a good synergy with Hurricane, especially if you took the duration mod as well) & whether it's increased by the Lore (though this may just be wishful thinking). IMO it's probably the "better" mod, unless you want to slow everything on the screen down even more, can you imagine undead affected by Momentum?

Cyclone: Increased duration. Increases the fixed duration by 50%, does not increase with CA level. Increased duration is (IMO) more useful for dealing with bosses, since it gives you a choice - either less frequent casts of RN, giving you more time to cast your damage spells, or more casts of RN, giving you more debuffing goodness. If Roar is applied once per hit & is "permanent" for monsters, then you could crucify the boss's attack rating (more so if it's affected by the Lore).

Extended Nimbus: Increased range, can be replicated (after a fashion) by the "increased CA range" gold mod (eg, Nlovae's Mystery & Glacial Defender). Increases the fixed range by 25%, does not increase with CA level either. Increased Range is probably more useful for dealing with mobs (especially small monsters that like to wander round) since you can cover a larger area & the monsters can (slowly) wander around to their hearts content while they get debuffed (if you took the Roar) & damaged.

Both of the gold mods are useful & I think they're where you really differentiate RN into mob/boss control.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd quite like to see what item mods you've got & how much +% damage/ice damage you're using to get those damage figures on GT (and what the base damage is), skill levels & so on.

Not much really... ;)

I said it in the other topic, but I can't help doing it again - amazing work gogo. I really, really like this girl. I always wanted to make an ice girl after the self-sufficient fire one, but I never got around to it, since I kinda became a seraphim-lover (the same way you became a CTH + RPH + LL% crazy tree-hugger :) ).

Now this gives me a good chance to try. I'll have to tweak the build a little to suit my build survivability stereotypes... that means adding shield lore somewhere in it. It's just:

shield lore's mastery bonus + a good rare shield + good socketables = substantial amount of chance to block +% which dramatically improves the longevity of a HE in general.

The question is what should I leave out. Delphic lore and Spell resistance seem to be the obvious 2 choices. However, keeping in mind that spell resistance helps against the LL 1-hit-kill bug, it's well worth keeping it in. Delphic lore is good if you use some of the offensive Combat Arts, and it does help the HP regen bonus from Grand Invigoration... This is going to be one very tough call.

Maybe I'm a bit too pragmatic and pedantic when it comes to survivability, though :lol:

When I had my eye surgery 18 month ago, I planed to play an ice elf. But being forced to play zoomed in because of no glasses for the changing eye values I did hard with glacial thorns (too much zoomed in to aim far behind an enemy). So I planed to play with nimbus. Nimbus is used in close range so I put more weight on close defense: shield lore and fire skin (if necessary).

The difference to your build: pyro focus and shield lore instead arcane lore and spell resistance:

Mystic Stormite Focus

Mystic Stormite Lore

Concentration

Delphic Arcania Focus

Constitution

Delphic Arcania Lore-> Pyro focus

Combat Discipline

Armor Lore

Ancient Magic

Spell Resistance -> shield lore

The idea was to push concentration, pyro focus and combat discipline first. Getting cast speed and damage from the fire monkey instead of a lore. So the start was more pyro than ice till concentration was at 75. I stopped it at around 80 when I had more fun playing melee elves.

So I wonder why so few people use cascading shroud. Even my melee elves had fire skin, I had fully modified cascading shroud. Playing with all 3 foci for most of our elves: like the shield maiden.

Nice write up... Can't wait till I'm done building bargaining to 75 (network) and can join you with some non-utility chars.. At the moment I am brewing beer for the year and playing Dragon Age Origins (fun game) but I will be back to Sacred 2 (I'm over 50% through the game)...

From the wiki, Cascading Shroud's Silver mod is:

Inconspicuous - Reduces the chance to be detected by opponents. (1% + 0.5% per CA level reduced chance)

So, to get the Guardians to not notice you, you'd have to have 1%+99%= level 199 in Cascading Shroud... unless Mystic Stormite Lore boosts the numbers for Cascading Shroud somehow like Delphic Arcana Lore boosts the HP regen from Grand Invigoration.

It's the hidden mechanics of the game that made me look at Cascading Shroud and dismiss it as something that just wouldn't provide defense most of the time.

Kudos on you gogo for investigating the Ice Elf so thoroughly!

I'm wondering what skills you push (beyond Mystic Stormite Lore and Focus) to mastery... and do you push skills up to a sweet spot to park them before pushing primary damage skills to mastery.

I guess, at character level 75, what skills are mastered? At what character level is the next skill mastered, and what is it? Decisions like these make or break characters {I'm doing my own share of breaking these days with my staff Dryad}.

Superlative work gogo, can't say enough to praise it!

Wondering how this build would be on console...

As would I...The catchy vid tune, amazing bosskiller CA, wow this build is impressive. I really, really need a build to farm the guardians so this might be one of my best bets. Thanks for the build and vids guys :thumbsup:

From the wiki, Cascading Shroud's Silver mod is:

Inconspicuous - Reduces the chance to be detected by opponents. (1% + 0.5% per CA level reduced chance)

So, to get the Guardians to not notice you, you'd have to have 1%+99%= level 199 in Cascading Shroud... unless Mystic Stormite Lore boosts the numbers for Cascading Shroud somehow like Delphic Arcana Lore boosts the HP regen from Grand Invigoration.

This is confusing me also. I think there might be a typo in the wiki and it's supposed to be 10% as that would seem more realistic. We crave more info Secret Agent gogo! :sigh:

Edited by ryanrocker1217
This is confusing me also. I think there might be a typo in the wiki and it's supposed to be 10% as that would seem more realistic. We crave more info Secret Agent gogo! :sigh:

Possibly, though IIRC the only things that aren't multiples of 10 are absolute modifers (like damage). The Evasion stat on Cascading Shroud is stored as "entry2 = {"et_chance_evade", 60, 3, 0, 41 },", and it's 6.0% in-game.