High Damage Ice Elf Build

Hi Ryan,

About your question as stated in gogo's linked about shard mods actually gogo's right about this I tried some number crunching and it seems getting the frost mod rather than fussilade is better why? cause the damage you can achieve with 55 thorns at any current level is less than you can achieve with frost mod, cause if you'll try some experimenting if you chose fussilade the base damage of each thorn is lowered by the game.

If you take frost mod:

50 thorns with lets say base damage of 60 dmg/thorn = 3000 dmg pts. if you add the frost mod it can become: 50 thorns x 65 dmg/thorn =3200 dmg. pts.

whereas if you take fussilade:

50 + 5= 55 thorns x 55 = 3025 dmg. pts.

as you can see its better to have higher base damage early in the game its not a big increase in damage but it can help flatten some unsuspecting kobolds.

Any way this calculation is based on experimenting on seven different Ice Elf builds I made corresponding to different theoretical builds by other players but I think gogo's and schot's the best and safest builds anyways its my opinion cheerio! :D

Hey there dark! Yup, as soon as I posted that question I did some number crunching my self with some theoretical scenarios involving number of shards hitting monsters vs. all of them hitting but still same results. The Frost mod is still mathematically the better choice. Based on numbers, I don't see why anyone would choose the other options when one appears to be plain BETTER than the other. Just an opinion though :D

• 4 weeks later...

Silly question... but how in the heck do you guys get your thorns to go on such a straight and narrow path to cause that much damage?! I'm jealous! I can't seem to get that down... I can't do that on the PS3, but I'm currently downloading the Sacred 2 Gold edition. Can I straighten out the thorns there:)

Thanks in advance! =) Got my character all mapped out and ready to build once it's done installing.

Silly question... but how in the heck do you guys get your thorns to go on such a straight and narrow path to cause that much damage?! I'm jealous! I can't seem to get that down... I can't do that on the PS3, but I'm currently downloading the Sacred 2 Gold edition. Can I straighten out the thorns there:)

Thanks in advance! =) Got my character all mapped out and ready to build once it's done installing.

On PC when you use the ca they are focused such that the further away you target it the more focused they area, great for boss killing if you target behind the boss and also good for mobs if you target close to yourself to get a massive spread :)

On PC when you use the ca they are focused such that the further away you target it the more focused they area, great for boss killing if you target behind the boss and also good for mobs if you target close to yourself to get a massive spread :)

Thanks for the reply! I wonder if that's the same thing on the console and I just wasn't doing it the right way. I'll play that while I wait for the manual download of my Gold Edition files to complete!

:viking:

I do think you will be able to replicate that on a console, since the console version auto targets. If the enemy is far away, it will deliver a more concentrated burst, but I do not think you will be able to do the same thing to a foe at close range.

• 1 month later...

gogo, this may well be your crowning achievement!

I have been taking her against purple level monsters since her early teens (just finished a Jungle run at 18). That combo is brilliant.

If she has one flaw, it is that she is not a team player and does not like to share. She is selfish and kills all the bad guys herself. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Thanks Lujate.When playing with others I'll usually just switch it up so that I'm not using the thorns, but use all the other Combat Arts as support. I'll traipse along behind the leader, and once they set themselves in place I'll open up with the storms and do a kind of close range attacks only to share kills.

:)

gogo

• 2 years later...

Hello all, it's been a long time. Thought I would give this thread a bump since I have playing Sacred 2 quite a bit lately; and in particular have been working on this "build by gogo" with great success! Nice vid btw at the wiki of you dispatching the guardians. I was just as successful completing bronze. Very cool!

Anyone who played with me in S1 knows of my affinity for cold spells. The mage's ring of ice was extremely fun to play, as you pretty much completely incapacited your foes with it. Shards was a killer, just like it is in Sacred 2. I play it on Steam, and it runs great!

I am anxious to get into platinum with her to see what damage she can really do.

I hope everyone is well :)

Tips

• Like! 1

Tipster!

Good seeing you back on the boards!

Loved that Elf, and that's schot's touch with the video, agent girl...she was pretty handy with dispatching the guardians, and was part of my legendary runs in the old days.

gogo

• Like! 1

Will be a great idea to equip HE gloves with the transformation of the physical damage in the ice. I was always disappointed that ice shards cause the physical\ice damage 50\50 and very much damage goes in enemy armor, especially before getting the mastery of ancient magic skill, especially against undead.

is there a version of the game where these gloves with damage type transformation actually work? I think they affect just the tooltip but not the actual damage to monsters. I never saw a secondary effect when wearing such gloves and doing pure physical magic attacks.

• Like! 1

it can be simple cheked by trying to hit single-element immune elementals with these gloves: If "transformation phisical damage to ice: x%" works, ice elementals will get less damage :mellow:

Edited by mibbs
  • 4 months later...

gogo, I have an Ice Elf nearing the end of Silver (PC I&B+CM Patch). Not exactly the same as your build, but definitely not unlike. I just had a few questions.

Firstly, on skills. At present, I do not have Combat Discipline. I was considering picking it up next, but am unsure whether or not I need it. How much of a difference did you find it made? My alternate pick would be Delphic Arcana Lore (I took Bargaining, as I did not have a shopper, so I cannot take both).

Secondly, you give big thumbs up to the triple-CA combo you used. I tried a Frost Flare/Glacial Throrns combo for a little while and found my DPS was considerably lower than just Glacial Thorns by itself. Had you modded Frost Flare by that point, or perhaps had it at a higher level? I do sometimes use a Raging Nimbus/Glacial Thorns combo. I kill a little slower with it, but the slow effect keeps me safe in tight situations (worth the sacrifice).

Finally, do you have any suggestions for the weapon slot? So far, I have not found anything terribly useful. +5% Ice Damage, or +6% Cast Speed; very minor benefits. As a HC player, I presume you used a one-hander with a shield, for that extra survivability.

• Like! 1
  • 1 year later...

I haven't followed this build but my ice Elf is pretty similar (anyone with good sense would make an ice Elf pretty much the same way).

Gogo picked the ideal skills. The only problem you might have is finding good gear if you can't twink your Elf. If you had to sacrifice one skill for Bargaining, then I would give up Spell Resistance. That's not to say Spell Resistance isn't important, but it's just because the High Elf has Expulse Magic, which is just the premium, ultimate way to resist spells. I think no High Elf build should be without it, no matter the build. Since you'll have Delphic Arcania Lore and Focus anyway with this build, you may as well take advantage of some of the other great CAs in that aspect, like Expulse Magic.

I use Combat Discipline for the global increase in damage to all CAs, not to mention the -20% regen when you put the CAs in combos. I personally use the "1 CA in a Combo" method, just to really crunch those regen times down. You can really start to see regen times plummet down to ridiculous levels, but of course that just means you increase you CA levels that much higher without worrying about regen times getting too high. So, I keep the three ice damage CAs in separate Combos, and switch back and forth between them as I need them. Because regen times are so low, all of them are always ready to fire.

I always shoot for Tinwora's Curse or Nlvoae's Mystery for the weapon, along with a suitably protective shield like Glacial Defender or Stalworth Safeguard. Since these are uniques and won't be dropping that often, I'd look for wands/staves with similar bonuses (Casting Speed, Regen Time, All CAs, Damage %), and the most protective shield you can get. I tried to add a much wider range of caster-friendly staves and shields in the CM Items Mod, if you want to try that out.

^ This is, more or less, how I built my Mystic Stormite High Elf. Although I would instead elect the sacrifice of Delphic Arcania Lore for Bargaining and retain Spell Resistance. My build should have been much different if Cascading Shroud were a permanent buff; it always wears off at the most inopportune times. :eek: I patterned my build (loosely) after Loco's Pyromante build, altering it for the Ice Elf and her Mystic Stormite Combat Arts and also employing Combat Discipline solely for the increased time for regeneration. I further increased the regeneration time using "chance to halve regeneration time" to a level of 100% (+ what ever remainder, kept to a minimum over 100%) allowing the CA levels to be increased to awesome levels. :wow: I also find that high armor shields Like Glacial Defender and Stalworth Safeguard are helpful with protection and I suggest Artamark's Star with its additional armor and defense combined with Larilgar's Protector with its armor boost and chance to evade are most efficacious.

Edited by Hooyaah
  • Like! 1
  • 2 years later...

Hmm...I downloaded gogo's toon and I do not get some of his choices:

- cascading shroud: why not mist - it offers greater % reduction?

- crystal skin: why not mystic stormite expertise for the huge regeneration time reduction?

- grand invigoration: life energy? and why not replenish for better regen?

- shadow step: why explosion? small healing might be better...?

- expulse magic: why banish dead? dmg seems to be small. pentagram looks to me more appealing defence-wise? really perplexing. 

I barely know this game which is why I ask  

but some of the choices...I really do not get them.

I would appreciate it if u could please offer some explanation.

cheers :)

• 10 months later...

According to other info and my experiences past level 14 with this build (up to level 30 as of writing this post), Replenish on Grand Invigoration, Mystic Stormite Expertise on Crystal Skin are not necessary, since you'll get even without any uberdrops or bargaining enough reduction to both deal great damage and spam your skills, simply by socketing runes (even better if you have a shopper or non-shopper toon with access to gold for gold runes) as a socketed rune increases CA level and with half the regen penalty.

Later in the game the extra %damage and %life regen will fill in important parts of the character, leaving more room for equipping yourself.

As for cascading shroud, attacks that do not hit you do not deal damage. At high CA levels, most of them will fail, especially when you have Raging Nimbus to debuff their Attack Value.

On 2/9/2014 at 4:47 PM, gogoblender said:

Loved that Elf, and that's schot's touch with the video, agent girl...she was pretty handy with dispatching the guardians, and was part of my legendary runs in the old days.

Good to know it's good for legendaries.

But what did you farm early on on silver to keep your gear updated? Or did you rush the campaign to get to higher difficulties?

Edited by Boro
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:16 AM, Boro said:

ep your gear updated? Or did you rush the campaign to get to higher difficulties?

We were only playing HC Online in those days.  Because resources were scarcer in that kind of an environment, a lot of people were running equipment banks with their character slots to keep items they could either trade for with to other players... that would be of help, but the biggest help was running a shopper network.  Schot's first character he made was a character that he "stuck" at a certain level with max trading stats that could shop for any other one of your toons that you got to that level and he would pass off equipment to you.  Was kind of a neat idea and by the end, almost everyone who played seriously had a trading network. 

I looked quickly and found this link... does it hel?

gogo