A late introduction...

I have been around here at DM for a couple of weeks, but it took some time before I decided to make my introductory post. Better late than never, like they say. ;) Anyway, I hail from Finland, and consider myself a veteran when it comes to computer games. I started playing back in the early 80's, and I have always favored RPGs. For years I scorned so-called "action role-playing games", mainly because I preferred plot-driven games with heavy emphasis on dialogue (like Planescape: Torment, for an example). But, as I have mentioned elsewhere, I discovered Diablo II a few months ago and - much to my surprise - liked it very much. I played it through, yearned for more - and found Sacred 2. And I am really happy for that discovery. It seems that an old dog can indeed learn new tricks - like starting to enjoy action-oriented role-playing games... :)

Welcome to Dark Matters! It's good to see another PC'er on the forums :)

Out of curiosity, have you ever played any of the Neverwinter Nights games? I can't decide if you would like them or not, from what I've read, but they fall somewhere in between what you listed, so came to mind.

I hope you enjoy your time here - we've certainly got plenty of helpful and friendly people hanging around!

~Jaggy

Out of curiosity, have you ever played any of the Neverwinter Nights games? I can't decide if you would like them or not, from what I've read, but they fall somewhere in between what you listed, so came to mind.

I have played virtually all computer RPGs based on AD&D, starting from SSI's classic Gold Box titles. The last one was NWN 2, but I didn't finish it. For reasons and others... :)

Ahaha, brilliant!

Yeah, I didn't finish NWN 2 either, also for various reasons (one being the plot was revealed to me by a friend and I didn't feel like going through it anymore).

The expansions for 2 look like fun, and I kind of want to get Mask of the Betrayer, if for nothing more than the music (it's really well composed!).

So does that mean you're a tabletop D&D'er as well, or just PC? ;p

Nah. Back in the Days of Yore, when I first got interested of role-playing games, the tabletop ones, it was really hard to find other people who were into Warhammer. We are speaking about the beginning of 90's and Finland here. Here where I live (a small town on the southern coast) the RPG community was what it was, and the other folks I was in contact with were AD&D gamers. And I wanted to play Warhammer. And later I kinda lost my interest for tabletop role-playing. I don't play online games, so I have no idea what WAR is like; but, in my opinion, it's a damn shame that there aren't any single-player games based on Warhammer FRP. The Old World would be just perfect setting for CRPGs...

Edited by neuromantik

Thanks for the writeup, Jari. Tales new members write up always adds some warmth to the party and is an enjoyable read.

Funny you're talking about role playing games. We actually have one of the largest full time gaming centers here in MOntreal, not more than two blocks from me. It just recently came back as Games Vault. They used to sell computers etc..now it's pure table gaming and the place is packed with wide eyed wizards wanna be and young warhammerwarriors all ready to roll and rumble.

Proud that such places exist still here in MOntreal, and being successful!

Welcome to DarkMatters Jari!

:)

gogo

Haha, I play tabletop Warhammer XD;;; 40k, anyways. My beloved and I were planning on getting into the original, but haven't racked up the money to get models yet *lols*

Yeah, I do wish that some of those were available in single player, too. It's nice being able to play against others, but I'm sure they could make AIs for those who wanted them. Bah xp

It's too bad that you couldn't find other Warhammer'ers, though 3:

They totally should make one o3o You should make one! XD

-- Hey, I might have to come up there and visit you, Gogo, that sounds like fun ;D

Edited by JaguarGal
Ahaha, brilliant!

Yeah, I didn't finish NWN 2 either, also for various reasons (one being the plot was revealed to me by a friend and I didn't feel like going through it anymore).

The expansions for 2 look like fun, and I kind of want to get Mask of the Betrayer, if for nothing more than the music (it's really well composed!).

Be carefull with the expansions , because they tend to bug the original game . for example if you install the first expansion , you can't exista the starting area , right before you go to tavern where you get the dwarf . It messes up the script or something. (this was half a year ago , not sure if they fixed it )

Also: Wellcome Neuromantik!

Edited by AbissalD

Welcome, you have a similar history of computing and I too started out in the late 70's early 80's doing Tabletop RPG mainly AD&D but all so Space Stroomtroopers, Warhammer and a few others. I also did tabletop military battles using miniature figurines. I could field a French Napoleonic Army, Medieval Byzantium Army and a Modern British Army period 1960-80. I loved my Challenger and Chieftain Tanks. Scale of miniatures was 1/300th and it took a while painting the models making the scenery a lot of fun. Then I discovered computers.

Welcome to the FDM. Virtual drinks on gogo's tab..."whisper's, Schot will most likely pick up the tab" :drinks: now that he is hosting most everything @ DM.

Enjoy your stay! Very nice to watch a growing community with avid gamers.

I remain, Etherian