Powerbuilding Overkill in Single Player

Hello, everyone.

I'm new to Sacred2, and I'm loving it - it's exactly like Sacred1 with better graphics and a whole new huge map to explore!

I am currently playing a Shadow Warrior, level 50, and I just beat my first dragon on silver level (northwest human realm (Artamark?)), using nothing but blue cloth armor and my trusty level 12 staff. (Nimbrugil's Doom? - something like that.)

I have almost 2000 health potions stashed. A single player almost never needs them, except when fighting bosses. I find myself laughing and shaking my head at all the regular losers all over the region.

It seems to me that the single player game is terribly underpowered. At least in Sacred1, red potions, or any other kinds of potions, were somewhat rare, and available in finite quantities.

In single player Sacred2, red potions drop from almost every defeated enemy. The player has no worry whatsoever of running out of potions, ever.

I beat the dragon by sitting on the red potion button and spamming Frenzied Rampage over and over.

I expect it would be similarly easy with any character class and one good combat art.

With all the discussion that goes on in the forums about "What is the optimum build and equipment setup?", I have to wonder if these discussions are only pertinent to multi-player fans who fear getting killed or left behind by other human players.

It seems to me that discussions of "best-build" may be kind of irrelevant to single player, since I am basically owning the game while next to naked and using nothing but a stick.

If it matters, my skills are Speed Lore and Tactics Lore maxed, Blacksmith, Enhanced Perception, Malevolent Champion Focus, Concentration (one point), and I just took Toughness at level 50. No weapons specialties - I like being a generalist.

I have both buffs fully modded with three mods, and I just got my Frenzied Rampage fully triple-modded.

I've used every weapon and armor combo conceivable throughout my character's career, and I've tried every combat art. None of it makes any difference. I have survival bonus over 70 percent and have never died.

I think I would have to be actually trying to make a character not be survivable in order to actually get there.

Are most of the questions and posts regarding builds and strategy made only for multiplayers? It seems like it doesn't much matter how you build or play in single player.

Edited by belgarathmth
I beat the dragon by sitting on the red potion button and spamming Frenzied Rampage over and over.

Maybe try making a toon that can kill a dragon without spamming health potions? Or try moving to the next difficulty, by level 50 you should have or be getting close to finishing the campaign to move up. And by niobium it gets intense.

PS. Welcome to the forums.

Edited by Dragon Brother

Welcome to Dark Matters and thanks for the great introduction you have had to the game.

Your observations are great and most likely quite accurate. However, most experienced players(including Sacred1, that have a quicker learning curve) would be into gold or close to it by level 50. Being in Silver and still in the Human region at level 50 would be boring fast for a lot of Veterans, I have found(and you have as well). So accelerate your exploration to keep up with the challenge. (try finishing Gold at level 50 and you would have a more challenging experience.)Ive finished Niobium by 100 a couple of times on Fallen Angel. it was a blast!

The difficulties ramp up considerably as you level and gain Survival Bonus. And there are level caps in each region. So it really does pay( both in excitment and XP) to move on. I used to rush the Silver and Gold and then explore in Platinum and Niobium where the challenge was greater and the levels slower.

Also, you might look into Ice and Blood if you haven't already. It added a major re-balance to the entire game. As an example that dragon you killed by standing toe to toe with it, didn't do much Reflecting of CA if I recall in Fallen Angel. In Ice and blood you would have had to step back and run around it until its reflect had dissipated before going back in for a few more hits. Ther are far more Combat arts from bosses and champions than in FA. makes your defenses a little more important.

The game is beautiful to explore, but staying in one area too long makes it get easier and easier.

So enjoy the game, and challenge yourself, you may find some difficult spots.

As for Single vs. Multi, yes having multiple players in the server does make it more challenging, But not so much as advancing more quickly to Gold and Platinum will.

Now if your on soft core(standard or Normal play) and find the game isn't a challenge, I recommend Hard Core. I was in Standard just last night and it just didn't have the same feel knowing that if I screwed up it wouldn't matter. Hard Core is the same game, but with consequences if you aren't smart about your engagements and tactics .

Cheers

loco

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

The reason I'm still in the human region at level 50 is that I'm doing all the sidequests and exploring every single nook and cranny of every area.

You only get one first time. That's the time I like to use to fully explore and appreciate the game.

After the first time, there will probably be no need in the future to even pay any attention to any side quests. I can just go straight through the main quest from silver to niobium with every character and ignore all the detailed creativity that went into all the side areas.

I had the same experience with Sacred1 - once I had spent one playthrough with my battle mage really exploring the map, then on every other playthrough with a new character, I kept rushing through the main quest to get to niobium, thinking that I would "stop to smell the roses" on niobium, and that the game would be challenging on niobium, but nope, it was very easy to overpower the game doing nothing but main storyline all the way from silver to niobium.

I expect that Sacred2 will be much the same. So this, my first time, is my only time to truly savor the experience of fully enjoying every little corner of the map.

The excitement of exploration will never be the same again.

Oh well.

And so, I think my original point stands, that powerbuilding is only pertinent to multiplayers.

Of course, I may yet eat my words, since I have yet to experience the orcish region and the rest of the main story. Please do not ruin my Sacred2 "virginity" with any spoilers. :)

Edited by belgarathmth

welcome! I'm a newbie in here as well :) and I'm using a shadow warrior as u did and currently exploring platinum at level 101. my gears are really good atm I think....(not as good as 'overwhelming') some uniques and some set items things like that...but I still... start to feel the stress from the mobs and elites, it's getting harder and harder! :P As you moving on to the higher diff. of the game(even if u moving on to another map) u can find HUGE difference between the mobs especially in the swamp map ~ ...

anyhow gl with you're shadow warrior~ may the Death God be with you :)

The reason I'm still in the human region at level 50 is that I'm doing all the sidequests and exploring every single nook and cranny of every area.

You only get one first time. That's the time I like to use to fully explore and appreciate the game.

After the first time, there will probably be no need in the future to even pay any attention to any side quests. I can just go straight through the main quest from silver to niobium with every character and ignore all the detailed creativity that went into all the side areas.

I had the same experience with Sacred1 - once I had spent one playthrough with my battle mage really exploring the map, then on every other playthrough with a new character, I kept rushing through the main quest to get to niobium, thinking that I would "stop to smell the roses" on niobium, and that the game would be challenging on niobium, but nope, it was very easy to overpower the game doing nothing but main storyline all the way from silver to niobium.

I expect that Sacred2 will be much the same. So this, my first time, is my only time to truly savor the experience of fully enjoying every little corner of the map.

Oh well.

And so, I think my original point stands, that powerbuilding is only pertinent to multiplayers.

Of course, I may yet eat my words, since I have yet to experience the orcish region and the rest of the main story. Please do not ruin my Sacred2 "virginity" with any spoilers. ;)

I think it is really necessary for you to do the sidequest again and again in different difficulty because of the nice reward of experience and drop from the boss . my suggestion is to go through the main quest really fast from silver to platinum and start to explore the whole map and the whole story and sidequests on Niobium difficulty~ that should satisfy you as "a challenge" of the game and for you to appreciate :)

Oh well.

Of course, I may yet eat my words, since I have yet to experience the orcish region and the rest of the main story. Please do not ruin my Sacred2 "virginity" with any spoilers. ;)

Fair enough! I applaud your attempt. More time to concentrate on the beautiful graphical world. I have played 2000 hours and still see and find little details that makes me stop and wonder how much work the devs put into the world of Ancaria

cheers!

loco

I tend to ignore the side quests and onlt do the main and character specific quests. When I get to Platinum, that when O will reall start to explore every possibility. I am looking forward to that wnd having a character built well enough to handle whatever is thrown at it.

This is my plan

I am saving doing side quests untill level 130+ (should be in Niob by then)

After around level 130 you need lots of millions of XP for each level..... so going side quests then will help time go faster :blush:

This is my plan

I am saving doing side quests untill level 130+ (should be in Niob by then)

After around level 130 you need lots of millions of XP for each level..... so going side quests then will help time go faster :blush:

Great plan!

Probably by level 126 when the 2nd XP nerf hits you'll be craving some XP. Take Pics of the cool stuff you find. :)

Shadow Warrior & Seraphim are the 2 easiest classes, and if you hide behind RE & GR you hardly ever get hit - the only things that really bother you are the mobs that do reflective damage. As you level up resistances and DOT starts to play more of a role but you took toughness which helps with one of them. Its really easy to get to plat with a Shadow Warrior even if you make wrong decisions with the build (I have done it).

I play Single player, I generally leave doing all the quests quests until Gold and even then I only do the fun ones, some are best not bothering with at all. If you keep doing all the quests in Silver you will out level the monsters in the regions and stop getting drops that are upgrades.

The reason the game is quite simple, is it tries to allow for every playstyle, build variants etc.

I'm not saying all that variety is a bad thing, but this is one of the results.

Sacred has no set direction on where to take the builds/character, so the choice is yours.

From this, they need to balance difficulty with people making a class with wacky skill selections to others making pure monsters. Nothing wrong with either, but it needs to be enjoyable for all variants, or attempt to be.

Really this game thrives off its 'loot lust' appeal and all the zany builds, but not really difficulty, though the expansion did raise a few areas of it, but nothing to warrant a threat, more like just be aware of some attacks now (aside the demon mages, which is gotta be a bug).

It's not like a 'focused' game where the player is given a class, or whatever that is heavly focused on things and failure to realize/utilize/build like such result in failure.

That is the blessing and curse of such open ended gaming.

I think this could become another challenge though lol.

How much can you do with only using default gear, or 'xxx' gear, etc. Speed runs on bosses wearing no armor etc lol. Could make some interesting player challenges, because yes its most likely possible!

Cheers,

Edited by r00ster

How much can you do with only using default gear, or 'xxx' gear, etc. Speed runs on bosses wearing no armor etc lol. Could make some interesting player challenges, because yes its most likely possible!

Cheers,

heh, r00ster, marvelously sharp insight here. I feel the exact same way... that the devs us the ultimate sand box tool...and with HC being there, it kicks up personal creativity against a dynamic social metric. And that's exactly what's happening now. We're not in the twillight of Sacred 2 at all. DarkMatters keeps getting new players signing up, and lots of peeps seem to be finding new and perhaps even zany ways to to kick up challenges, whether personal or through the community.

Great topic belgarathmth

:)

gogo

If memory serves, Seraphim was my first choise when I started Sacred 2, since she was my fave in the original, and sure it wasn't too smooth sailing. I've yet to tag HC for my charas for some obvious reasons... SC is enough exiting for me.

Currently just 'cause I'm into making some whacko builds, with against all survivability odds.

And all in SP, just 'cause my connection isn't on par with online games... *sniff*

But still, good observations nonetheless. ^^

The reason the game is quite simple, is it tries to allow for every playstyle, build variants etc.

Sacred has no set direction on where to take the builds/character, so the choice is yours.

From this, they need to balance difficulty with people making a class with wacky skill selections to others making pure monsters. Nothing wrong with either, but it needs to be enjoyable for all variants, or attempt to be.

Really this game thrives off its 'loot lust' appeal and all the zany builds, but not really difficulty, though the expansion did raise a few areas of it, but nothing to warrant a threat, more like just be aware of some attacks now (aside the demon mages, which is gotta be a bug).

It's not like a 'focused' game where the player is given a class, or whatever that is heavly focused on things and failure to realize/utilize/build like such result in failure.

Cheers,

I agree that the difficulty in this game is relatively low pretty much all the way through Platinum, but Niobium is different, especially if you get there around level 85-90. I think that is when your character truly gets tested as to how strong it really is and/or if it has been built well enough to survive powerful opponents. My Inquis got to Niobium at 86, and I remember having to be very careful as to which areas I wandered to early on as I would often run into monsters (I remember Undead were particularly tough early on) that would hit me for 1/3 to 1/2 my life, or critical hit me for a one-hit death. :( And that is with having excellent gear going in, as well as my character being properly built as a hard-hitting tank. A poorly built SW can probably get by, but other classes will have a very tough time getting going in Niob if they weren't built up properly prior to getting there...

That being said, the degree of difficulty that I experienced at level 86 in Niob brought a fresh new layer of fun to the game... I recommend everyone give it a try at least once! :)

Cheers,

I agree that the difficulty in this game is relatively low pretty much all the way through Platinum, but Niobium is different, especially if you get there around level 85-90. I think that is when your character truly gets tested as to how strong it really is and/or if it has been built well enough to survive powerful opponents. My Inquis got to Niobium at 86, and I remember having to be very careful as to which areas I wandered to early on as I would often run into monsters (I remember Undead were particularly tough early on) that would hit me for 1/3 to 1/2 my life, or critical hit me for a one-hit death. :( And that is with having excellent gear going in, as well as my character being properly built as a hard-hitting tank. A poorly built SW can probably get by, but other classes will have a very tough time getting going in Niob if they weren't built up properly prior to getting there...

That being said, the degree of difficulty that I experienced at level 86 in Niob brought a fresh new layer of fun to the game... I recommend everyone give it a try at least once! :)

I think what I read into this whole thread is that Sacred 2 is so cool in one major way...The game is as difficult or easy as you wanna make it. you can pick your playstyle, your pace, you name it. You can make it difficult(Niob at level 85) or as easy as you want and enjoy it.

Cheers to all

loco

I think what I read into this whole thread is that Sacred 2 is so cool in one major way...The game is as difficult or easy as you wanna make it. you can pick your playstyle, your pace, you name it. You can make it difficult(Niob at level 85) or as easy as you want and enjoy it.

Cheers to all

loco

Agreed - well put.

Cheers to all

loco

Well said , plus I believe superb in many other ways as well as to this excellent point.

Lol this topic... good answers from the members, though!

PC I thought would be at least challenging, since I have come to the conclusion that the console version is not overly hard, provided you have access to the wiki and some forum reading done (here or at SIF).

But, I guess with enough "access" to Niob-quality jewellery and/or equipment, and Sets that can be traded for, etc... that the game over all platforms would be "too easy" when playing with the standard skills and Combat Arts that most builds use. Even when I was playing with only Niob-access shopping, no access to weapons/eqipment from the chest, it was pretty easy-going until I hit Platinum in the 50-ish levels, where pretty much any toon should have some troubles in some form.

Since I re-started again, with nothing; I believe the challenge truly is in starting with nothing, and building up a toon from scratch without assistance from clanmates, shopping network, etc... The build has to be solid, or else you will be stuck in Silver forever.

Lol this topic... good answers from the members, though!

PC I thought would be at least challenging, since I have come to the conclusion that the console version is not overly hard, provided you have access to the wiki and some forum reading done (here or at SIF).

But, I guess with enough "access" to Niob-quality jewellery and/or equipment, and Sets that can be traded for, etc... that the game over all platforms would be "too easy" when playing with the standard skills and Combat Arts that most builds use. Even when I was playing with only Niob-access shopping, no access to weapons/eqipment from the chest, it was pretty easy-going until I hit Platinum in the 50-ish levels, where pretty much any toon should have some troubles in some form.

Since I re-started again, with nothing; I believe the challenge truly is in starting with nothing, and building up a toon from scratch without assistance from clanmates, shopping network, etc... The build has to be solid, or else you will be stuck in Silver forever.

2.43 is the same game basically that you play sjm. Its Ice and Blood that rebalanced so much. But the lesson I learned after reading this thread and even my own posts here as well as a post Rooster made a while back is that you can make it easier or hard depending on your playstyle and patience. What makes it hard for me is the previous experience with Console and then the shock of Ice and Blood and having to relearn my playstyle. Slowing down and taking until level 70 to advance to Gold would be Way too easy for some, While just perfect for others. You can make it as difficult as you want by pushing yourself and challenging yourself. Example: Can you take the Grundwald dragon with a pure Caster in Ice and Blood solo? that would be a huge challenge for me, but maybe not for somebody else.

this thread has been a huge eye opener for me.

cheers