What's your single most watched movie?

Guest gogoblender

I've been rebuilding my DVD collection so have a few more to add that get watched a lot!

Arrgh I don't even know if I should add them here ....but anyways :Just_Cuz_12: I have watched them more than a few times so for me they are there with my favorites

The Fooball factory

It's just to me a good film but yeah very violent film about a group of footie thugs, with Danny Dyer, ahh he's a good actor and cute to boot :) It's not the greatest film in the world and it probably won't fill you with happiness but it does have some extremely funny one liners in it. It's violent and explicit but I like it despite it really not being a fantastic film. It made me laugh, shudder, cringe and sigh. if you don't like to watch films containing any of these things then it's not for you.

Trainspotting

I read the book when it first came out years ago and was chilled to the bone by it. I have pretty much read everything by Irvine Welsh I can get my hands on. hehe my copy of Trainspotting is so well read and borrowed that it's now in a bag replaced by a newer copy for rereading, it's literally falling apart. This for me is undoubtably one of THE best Brit films to have come out in a very very long time! This film will have you wide eyed, laughing one moment, shuddering the next, crying and laughing together. It's a real rollercoaster of emotions film and it pulls no punches. if you know any of Irvine Welsh's stuff you will know how his books and thankfully this film works. Be warned though it's about Heroin use and is very graphic. Still reading the book from time to time and watching the film when the kids aren't around :drunkards:

Everything

I watched 'Everything' whilst sitting by the pc and chatting on and off in irc to Dredd, lol all I kept saying to him was that Ray Winstone was sooo utterly compelling and yet out of character with the lack of violence his character displayed. that for me just made him even more menacing. I think by the end of the film I was so tense, waiting for that massive explosion of violence. This is an incredibly low budget film, with very very little other cast than Ray Winstone and Jan Graveson. It really is a must see brit film, funny, Dark, intriguing and yet very moving. ahh I am going to watch it again tonight :Just_Cuz_12:

Nil by Mouth

Again Ray Winstone and Kathy Burke. Written and Directed by Gary Oldman. This is an incredibly believable and shocking film about domestic violence. It had be gripping the arm of the sofa and for about half an hour I couldn't even get up to turn the dvd off when it had finished. This film will make you cry and it will make you feel numb angry and shocked it has warmth but it's not about making you feel good. It's dark but once you start watching it you can't turn it off. A harsh portrayal of domestic violence but if anyone has experienced it they will know how damningly accurate this film is. The acting, writing and directing is superb. Gary Oldman has a couple of his family members in this film hehe can you spot them? It was awarded 8 iirc awards and I can see why. Not one for the family to gather round and watch but I have watched it a few times.....alone :drunkards:

Yeah there is a sort of writer/actor/Director theme going on there lol, they are pretty dark but also I have to include them in my all time favorite films.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmmm. Tough, tough, tough.

I think for me that this depends on the period in my life.

In college I watched Monty Python's Life of Brian and Holy Grail a lot. For a while I was watching Four Weddings and a Funeral about every weekend . . . along with A Fish Called Wanda and When Harry Met Sally on a frequent basis. Lately I have been wathcing Love Actually, Notting Hill, and Groundhog Day a lot. I've also seen the Lord of the Rings, the original Star Wars Trilogy, and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom quite a few times.

However, in keeping with the spirit of the question, I would have to say that I have probably seen Groundhog Day more than any other movie. I just watch it again and again and it never changes. :)

My favourite movie of all time remains "Star Wars" Episode IV. Possibly subtitled "A New Hope" even at first release time.

I saw this 7 times in the theatres between 1977 and 1978. 7 times. The film was held over for an unbelievable 6 months at the theatre in the small town where I lived in the middle of no where. Full houses almost every screening! The theatre owners probably could retire on what they made that year alone!

Apparently Lucas made this film with the 15 minute climax formula based on the old serial films. He was young and worked up the Western and serials together to make a Science Fiction masterpiece.

My fav of all time: Star Wars Episode IV.

I've watched Ghost Rider so many times since I got it, it's scary. No not the movie, it's the 10 times I've watched it in a month that scare me :whistle:

I like the movie. Only bad thing there is that the end scene really sucks. :whistle:

Edited by Timotheus

Ghost rider?

I don't get it..how come?

I saw the movie...actually I enjoyed it...is it the effects? Was GhostRider one of your favorites from early comic book readings?

Cage's acting?

:P

gogo

p.s. hmmm, I really like your post Ike. I'm kind of that same way as well. It seems like...a times, there are elements or "things" from a movie that I need to discover or travel at periods of my life. Yes, I had a ground hog day phase too...that one lasted a year, lol! A comic reinvention of The Myth of Sisyphus...who woulda thunk it

p.s. khannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn... *sigh* ... yeah that was really good huh.

Well could be the effects I guess. And well Cage isn't spectacular (quite a few stupid things he does in the movie anyway, at some stages he really lacks character) but I really like the whole storyline. But that ending. Jeez.

It should've ended with "Legion"s death. Not with the whole "you don't scare me and if you hurt anyone else I will drive by your house and steal your socks" sounding speech...

• 2 weeks later...

"The Good, The Bad and the Ugly", a defining Western made by Sergio Leone, and the last of his "dollar" trilogy, in 1966. It's a masterful reworking of a genre most had considered to be finished into a three hour spectacle that never wastes a scene or a line of dialogue. Which is saying something when you consider that there's not a single spoken line in the first 10 minutes of the film.

The principle leads were never better, although Eastwood largely just goes through the motions. Eli Wallach (as the Ugly) was born for the role as the grubby mexican bandit, Tuco, with much of his work improvised - although with Wallach not speaking Italian and Leone not speaking English, direction was given in French, which probably accounts for some of that. For me though, seeing Van Cleef as the sneering villain, Angel Eyes was an inspired piece of casting and a theme which has stuck with me - playing against type. It was a theme Leone would use again in what is in my opinion the much better "Once Upon A Time in America" with Peter Fonda as the murderous "Frank" - Van Cleef was good, but there's only once reaction to seeing a clean cut, blue eyed Peter Fonda shoot a 12 year old boy: "Omg that's Peter Fonda"

Referred to as "spaghetti westerns" in a way that was hoped to denegrate them, I think of this (and Once Upon A Time) as cowboy opera's which is probably appropriate given Leon's italian roots. Everyone has a theme, the film has a palpable beat and often you can't imagine a scene without Morricone's haunting music running through it. This is particularly true of the scene at the end of the desert trek with Blondie close to death and hallucinating (he thinks) the horse drawn wagon pounding toward him. And the Betterville prisoner of war camp... the torture scene of Tuco with the confederate band playing to hide the sound of his screaming... genius. And I've not even mentioned the gunfight at the end.

But speaking of scenes for me it's the battle at the bridge that steals the show. Shot with 1500 extra's it's easy to see why the battle seems so real - and visceral. Famously the Spanish army built the bridge and then blew it up before Leone had his camera's running. They then rebuilt it and blew it up, again.

Favourite line? Tuco's "When you gotta shoot, shoot, don't talk." A man like him would definately take a bath with a gun.

I don't know how many times I've watched it - whenever I can't sleep, or feel ill, or just have "a spare 3 hours" it goes on.

• 3 months later...

The movie I've seen the most is probably Airplane!. Haven't seen it in ages, but I loved it when I was a kid. Saw it many many times back then. Really made me laugh. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Oh gosh.......This is kinda embarrassing, but in all honesty the movie I have watched the most is.......................... The Sound of Music :cool:

Every time it is shown on tv I have to watch it. I admit I am pathetic, but I love the story and the songs.

I have always been interested in anything to do with WW2 so I guess that was the initial drawing factor for me.

But I also love the songs, and that's coming from someone who's taste in music lies along the lines of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin.

So while I wouldn't say its my all out best fav movie, it has to take the title of most watched ;)

stubbs

• 3 months later...

The movie I have seen the most is Dune from 1984.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/

I saw that movie the first time when I was 15 and it just became my most

favorite movie ever. It's an oldy but the movie has a tremendous story,

great actors and actresses..the entire mood is just awesome to me. I have

watch that movie so many times now that I actualy lost count, but everytime

it is still awesome. :D

Edited by Arafinwe
The movie I have seen the most is Dune from 1984.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087182/

I saw that movie the first time when I was 15 and it just became my most

favorite movie ever. It's an oldy but the movie has a tremendous story,

great actors and actresses..the entire mood is just awesome to me. I have

watch that movie so many times now that I actualy lost count, but everytime

it is still awesome. :cool:

Meh I thought that film had issues, it was a bit lopsided, like half the film was spent on the books first 2 chapters, and the rest of the plot was heavily condensed in the film

It is good though

:)

~Doom

Oh, and I've probably watched LOTR most...

Meh I thought that film had issues, it was a bit lopsided, like half the film was spent on the books first 2 chapters, and the rest of the plot was heavily condensed in the film

It is good though

:cool:

~Doom

Oh, and I've probably watched LOTR most...

Well I never read the book untill about 6 months after the movie, so it

was all new to me when I saw it.

As for LoTR...yeah those are also very good indeed. I have all 3 on DVD, and the last 2 are Directors cut's.

clerks, as I have had many friends that had not seen it during college and they needed to see it. then later in life it is to show folks that dogma is not just a great standalone movie, they have to see at least the first movie, arg! I can do without ben, but him being a near complete tool is best shown in mallrats. go stink palm!

• 9 months later...

Reviving This!

I Would Have To Say A Tie Between Shaun Of The Dead And Pink Floyd's The Wall.

Both Are Great Movies.

Shaun Of the Dead Is A Bust Out Laughing Comedy, While The Wall Is A Psychological Thriller, Tied In With Great Music!

-Jamie.

• 2 months later...