Payment Methods - Which one do you prefer?

Mythos - Which Payment Option would you like best?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Mythos - Which Payment Option would you like best?

• A) One-Time Payment, for Retail or Download (+unlimited playtime always)
    • B) Subscription based, monthly fee (+unlimited playtime during period)
    • C) Game-Time 'Card', playtime limited in hours/days (limited playtime / unlimited content)
    • D) Micro-Transactions, exclusive content for money - only available for players who buy it
    • E) Micro-Transactions, same content everyone - but you can get it easier, faster, more, or earlier if you pay
    • F) Mixed Method: combine various options, let the user decide which option to choose from
    • G) Anything different from above (pleas use comment function)
    • H) I'm fine with any option, no matter which one
    • I) will never pay anything for any game

Greetings, adventurers of Uld !

edit:

SINCE THIS MAY PRETTY MUCH APPLY TO ANY OTHER GAME TOO,

FEEL FREE TO VOTE AS WELL,

IF YOU HAVE GAMES LIKE SACRED 2 , 3 OR Diablo 3 IN MIND :D

Dear fellows,

as most of you may already know,

the plan for Mythos always was to release it in a combined 'Free to Play' with 'Item / Cash-Shop' fashion..

POLL: what is YOUR favourite payment option?

IF you could choose from various options

..and/or if Mythos financial budget plan was disputable

..and/or subject to change (maybe it is, still? )

-----------------------------------------

originally developed by Flaship Studios, they had above method in mind for the release version of their game.

now Hanbit/Redbana as well as Frogster both basically pursue the same financial budget plan,

however their game versions 'may' be different from each other, and also show a different form of item/cash shop => micropayment ...

regardless preceding and new information,

this 'micropayment' and item-shop / cash-shop issue is concerning a lot of people.

-----------------------------------------

MICROPAYMENT / MICROTRANSACTONS &

"you're Free to PLAY" isn't always "you're Free to PAY"

on one side,

people that DON'T want to pay and spend money for micro-transactions in an item/cash-shop,

fear that others that pay will be given a too high advantage so they can't compete or are have to endure too many restrictions

(like exlusive limted uber-power gear, or extreme-experience boost, higher charlevels etc..)

on the other side,

people that DO pay, are mad if what they get - is not all they were promised in the beginning

(like missing bonus content, unstable servers, bad customer support)

YOU'RE FREE TO PLAY: as you see it in most game, it's the wrong term, 'DEMO' would fit in better:

often you're restricted to the first few regions, charlevels, poor items etc..

WANT TO PROCEED? somehow, at all? then you have to pay, in many games..

There's a lot one could discuss and much more, feel free to post or thoughts, ideas, opinion, etc :)

PS: let me know if you're uncertain about what the different options in the POLL are,

or if you'd like to see other options added.

So long,

James

Edited by Rotluchs

Single payment with unlimited play. I am also ok with paid DLC to allow for major add-ons. I would expect a free demo version to be available if I am paying upfront though.

Unless you're willing to put a lot of hours into the game on a consistent basis, a subscription system is a waste of money. Micro transactions always end up causing a divide between those who have and those who do not.

One time payment.

I also agree with either paying for optional DLC or expansions.

Subscription based payments are a no go for me.......I also have a life. :4rofl:

I second Stubbies comments.

Subscription based payments are only really useful if you can spend all day every day on a game, upfront payment is best with the option of buying upgrades.

I like A, it's what I picked. From a contemporary company's point of view, I can see how it's considered old school and not "greedy" enough. *sigh*

It seems like noone really wants to sell us just a product and be "done" with it... everyone wants a little tendril attached to us that slowly siphons away our blood/money bit by bit over the course of a life time.

Say no to blood sucking!

:biggrin:

gogo

The problem is we're in the age of community online "gaming." Even on social sites like Facebook, you have optional content you can pay for to give you an advantage over the other 500 million or so people who have added the application.

Either that, or you have to add 500 random people as your "friends" so that you can play effectively. I hate this mentality of gaming.

Oh and yes, in case you can't tell, I tend to exaggerate :biggrin:

I want to be able to pick up a game when I feel like it, play it as much as I can be bothered and live (what I can) outside of the game.

I don't want to be penalized because I don't want to pay $10 a month for the rest of my life or because, heaven forbid, I need to sleep/work/eat and can't compete with a 13 year old kid with no responsibilities and an endless supply of energy drinks...

I want to be able to pick up a game when I feel like it, play it as much as I can be bothered and live (what I can) outside of the game.

See that's it. That's how clever companies now are. They want to transform our concept of ownership. Much like we're being taught that we don't "own" a newspaper but instead have reuse and return it to green colored recycle bins... so it seems "products" are being hawked. They want to have us commit to a "new and exciting" way of living...of being attached to the teat forever.

Kind of like cigarettes

You can't just smoke one...campanies know that... and now they want us "subscribed" to even more things we would have never thought possible.

Games are like alternate realities...we are being pitched to purchase "alternate realities" that cost us money instead of just trying to live our own... subscription free.

Subscription concepts are creeping into everything. We can get prescribed to... white teeth, non-naturally colored grey hair...every kind of weight except for what occurs to us naturally, skin tanner, pimple remover...

And so it has become for gaming.. say no to monthly's...fight the system!

:biggrin:

gogo

See that's it. That's how clever companies now are. They want to transform our concept of ownership. Much like we're being taught that we don't "own" a newspaper but instead have reuse and return it to green colored recycle bins... so it seems "products" are being hawked. They want to have us commit to a "new and exciting" way of living...of being attached to the teat forever.

Kind of like cigarettes

You can't just smoke one...campanies know that... and now they want us "subscribed" to even more things we would have never thought possible.

Games are like alternate realities...we are being pitched to purchase "alternate realities" that cost us money instead of just trying to live our own... subscription free.

well,

believe it or not,

but extra content

like a car, a house, a new TV cost lotsa money in RL as well -

some say - especially legendary and unique items like your precious wife ;)

even subscription based add-ons

like health-insurance or legal-protection insurance..

...the basic retail version

of your newborn child or food are never pay once only as well . ;)

but yes you're right,

imho there are by far too many 'subscription' or 'cash/item shop' based 'MMO' RPG games already..

if it would hit ARPG's like a Sacred 3 or in this case mythos, I think this could be pretty bad :)

you don't find many 'pay once' games anymore that also offer a great MP part..

hope Diablo III, Sacred III and Mythos will not fall victim to this recent game companies strategies..

EDIT:

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE, EVEN IF YOU HAVE OTHER GAMES IN MIND , TY :)

I BELIEVE THIS APPLIES TO THEM AS WELL,

JUST THINK OF ANY OTHER (ARPG) LIKE SACRED 3 or DIABLO III,

that will both have an MP part too...

Edited by Rotluchs

Micro payments was what they had in Requiem. It never really bothered me too much only because...I never really felt left behind because the only thing that meant anything to me was the peeps I was playing with ... our clan.

Our clan started off with all playing freely on Requiem...but bit by bit as time went by we all really started getting hooked into the game, the number of hours a lot of us were sinking into the game beginning to approach sacredesque volumes :)

Bit by bit we all started giving in... buying reset skills coupons, neat armors, mounts... ah, was wonderful. Near the end of our journey with that marvelous game, the only thing that I think tugged us back to Sacred set up for Sacred 2's imminent release was that Requiem was not getting enough new content quickly enough, and so near the end, it was not just because we had to "grind" ...but that we knew there was nowhere else to grow to.

So yes... I am in love with the old school method of payments.,.. up front, all at once, fait accompli...however... maybe it's the products that are themselves changing..maybe it's impossible to purchase a gaming product that does not require changes along the future to keep it "going" because "games" are becoming so complex they need to be updated constantly.

Do I buy that... or are companies just becoming more greedy?

:)

gogo

Well...results seem kinda convincing and you will probably have those results anywhere in the world. People expect, that once you buy something its yours and that you shouldnt have to keep paying just to play...*cough*wow*cough* However, I guess Gogo, you're kinda right in that products are changing and so payment may have to adapt. I still prefer one off payments though, extra content like an expansion is something I dont mind paying for since its almost a new game in someways.