How to Install Sacred 2 (UK)

Additional info is more than welcome!

Minimum System Requirements:

• Internet Connection (In order to activate the game)
  • 2.4 GHz processor
  • 1 GB RAM
  • Graphics card 256 MB, from nVidia® GeForce™ 6800 or ATI® Radeon™
  • DirectX compatible sound card
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • 20 GB free Hard Drive (HDD) space
  • Windows XP, XP64, Vista, Vista64
  • DirectX 9.0d (included with game)

Downloading:

Preparing:

• Update Video Driver
  • Update Sound Driver
  • Turn off UAC
  • 20 GB free Hard Drive space on C:
  • Uninstall the demo so that the real game version does not become corrupted by the demo
  • Turn off Antivirus and Firewall:
    This is a standard game install recommendation and in particular with Sacred 2. There have been some anti-virus software and firewalls that prevented Sacred 2 from installing properly... AVG is the worst of them.) You only need to turn them off during the install.
  • Close all non essential programs:
    Do not use the computer for anything else while Sacred 2 installs. Sacred 2 is a very large game installation and because it takes a long time to install there is a risk of corruption if you try to run other programs like your browser while installing/patching.

Installing:

1. Install Sacred 2 Fallen Angel
    Must be installed on your C: drive which is the default location that it will install to. It is recommended to use C: however some players have been successful using a different drive or partition. Most importantly it must have plenty of free space as when the patch tries to run it will need a lot of space for temporary files.
  2. Create an Account
    Start Sacred 2, click on Multiplayer and then click on "New Account"
  3. Run the first patch Update 2.0.2 → Update 2.40
  4. Run the second patch Update 2.40.0 → Update 2.43
    Only required to convert pre-Ice & Blood characters for compatibility with the Ice and Blood installer.
  5. Install Ice & Blood (This should automatically detect where to install)
  6. Run the third patch Patch 2.65.1.0
  7. Run the fourth patch Patch 2.65.2.0

Activation and Securom:

Important Product Activation setting changes:

The Product Activation settings have been changed to 4 activations within 3 months, starting from the first activation. This means, you can activate 'Sacred 2: Fallen Angel' 4 times within 3 months and after this period, a new period with 4 activations within 3 months starts.

The same activation limits apply for the add-on 'Sacred 2: Ice & Blood'.

For every box/account purchased:

• 1 license can be used online at a time; implying you use either your PC or your notebook, but not both at the same time.
  • 2 installations of the same account can be played via LAN
  • 2 installations of the same account can be played in SP/COOP
  • You can install Sacred2 on a 1000 PC´s but playing at the same time is only possible with 2. This can be your Desktop and your notebook for example.
  • One PC component can be replaced without problems. Beyond that revoke & re-activate is the recommended procedure. Download the Revocation tool
  • For DRM issues due to failed hardware, etc. The manual page with the key serves as proof of purchase. Contact Securom
  • Internet connection is needed during installation. The Securom FAQ explains you can use a friend's PC for manual activation though.
  • You can play without the DVD. It´s not needed in the drive.
  • No private data will be transferred during the activation process. You cannot even enter critical data.
  • The activation servers will be available for the next couple of years. Should this no longer be the case, the DRM will be patched out.

Troubleshooting:

• The Hardware requirements for playing Sacred 2 can be read on the SacredWiki page Game Summary
  • The Game Manual can be found @ C:\Program Files (x86)\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\locale\en_UK\Manual.pdf
  • Make sure that you have no applications running in the background (e.g. anti-virus software). These applications should be deactivated. (Quoted from the Sacred 2 Readme file)

Antivirus:

• AVG and Kapersky are known to cause problems with Sacred 2 and prevent it from running properly.
  • When playing games antivirus should absolutely be turned off. They are renowned for creating all kinds of problems with games most of which lag. This is of my own personal opinion... ~Schot

Firewall:

Sacred 2 will need to be given permission to access the internet or home network. After installing Sacred 2 check Windows Firewall, and other firewalls you may have installed, to see if it has been added to the list of exceptions. Sometimes games will only be given permission when first starting the game in which case a popup would appear asking if you would like to allow the program to access the internet. Choose "Yes" and "Always".

In general you should refer to your Firewall Software's Help files to find out how to allow a prgram to connect to the internet. Each program is different as well as every version of a product.

See PortForward.com for help with your router configuration and how to open ports.

See; Understanding Windows Firewall

ZoneAlarm - How to Allow Programs to Go on the Internet

1. Double-click on the ZoneAlarm system tray icon or open the program through its desktop or start menu shortcut.
  2. Click on the "Program Control" section and look through the list of programs displayed until you find the one that you want to allow to access the Internet.
  3. Click the red "X" next to the program name, select the "Allow" option and then close the ZoneAlarm window. The setting is immediately applied and the application is allowed through ZoneAlarm.

In Norton Symantec try:

1. Open Norton 360
  2. Click Settings
  3. Click Firewall Protection
  4. Under Program Rules tab
  5. change the access of your programs to allow.

Windows 7:

• Turn off UAC
  • Make sure your windows user account has Administrator privileges
  • Run Sacred 2 as Administrator
  • This fix should work for owners of Sacred 2 under Windows 7, regardless of the version you have (Steam, Impulse, Stand alone or whatever). Source<--
    1. Create a shortcut to the Sacred 2 executable. You'll find it in the game directory, in another directory called 'system'. For me, it is: D:GamesSteamSteamAppsCommonSacred 2SystemSacred2.exe
    2. Put the shortcut on your desktop, or somewhere handy.
    3. Right click the shortcut and select properties
    4. Click the Shortcut tab
    5. In the Target field, you need to add the following: -skipopenal -nocpubinding. The contents of my Target field look like this:
      "D:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\sacred 2\system\sacred2.exe" -skipopenal -nocpubinding
    6. Click Apply and Click OK.
    7. Double click the shortcut and play Sacred 2!

Further Info about:

openal - skiponpenal effectively disables openal api technology for sound and audio.

nocpubinding - It's a popular feature that many have claimed improves their gameplay. It prevents games from using only one CPU and thus allowing game processing to float between multiple cores.

Vista:

• Turn off UAC
  • Make sure your windows user account has Administrator privileges
  • Run Sacred 2 as Administrator

Video:

Audio:

• Creative Audio Drivers
  • Creative Sound Blaster Audigy and earlier audio cards are not compatible with Sacred 2.
    The default onboard sound should be used in this case by right clicking on your volume icon(on your windows taskbar) then left click Playback devices --> Right click "Speakers - Realtek High Definition Audio" --> Left click "Set as default device." --> Press OK.
    Or use the skipopenal solution mentioned above.

PhysX:

• PhysX drivers might need to be installed manually. Try the following driver if experiencing lag. --> NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.10.0129
  • In order to deactivate PhysX; open the Nvidia PhysX menu in the system control center of Windows(Control Panel), click on Settings and on "No acceleration". Then go into the Sacred 2 game options and disable PhysX in the Graphics Options window in game.

In the Target field, you need to add the following: -skipopenal -nocpubinding. The contents of my Target field look like this:

What does skipopenal do schot?

it has to to with a soundblaster technology. if you don't have a soundblaster you don't need it.

Shouldn't we write that the activation system changed since Ice & Blood?

The second time I tried to revoke my game, I got told that the license I used on my laptop at that time won't need to be revoked.

This is a quote of the e-mail I got from SecuROM :

Please note, that for Sacred 2 the "activations limit" was changed. You can now activate four times within 3 months. When this period (3 months) has finished, you will be able to activate it another 4 times. If you run out of activation within this 3 month timeframe, please use the Sacred 2 revoke tool on one of the PCs where you installed Sacred 2 to be able to activate it on another PC.

Max

Thanx Max! I had been looking for more specific info on that but just couldn't find any. That's perfect. I'll add it right away. :)

P.s.

Go figure... It's mentioned in the Securom Faq link I provided. Guess I should have read it, haha.

Thanks for the installation guide Schot. :4rofl: It could not have come at a better time for me as I have just ordered a copy of Scared 2 Gold last night and was this morning looking for a guide on what patches would be needed. It seems that God really does provide, using his hard working angels (Schot for one).

My only questions now are about the community patch and modding;

1) Once I am patched to 2.65.2, am I compatable with EU HC servers or do I need the community patch as well?

2) If I install the community patch does that make me incompatable with the servers?

3) If I use any of the mods for improving drops/merchants inventory, will that make me incompatable with the servers?

Edited by podgie_bear
  1. Once I am patched to 2.65.2, am I compatable with EU HC servers or do I need the community patch as well?
  2. If I install the community patch does that make me incompatable with the servers?
  3. If I use any of the mods for improving drops/merchants inventory, will that make me incompatable with the servers?

Hey podgie. You're welcome! I'm glad you you're finding the info here useful. :blush: With all the install questions we've had in the past I'm hoping that this guide can help to reduce install complications and the frustration that comes with it.

1. Once I am patched to 2.65.2, am I compatible with EU HC servers or do I need the community patch as well?
    Yup! You will be compatible at that point and able to see the rest of the community on the servers.
  2. If I install the community patch does that make me incompatable with the servers?
    In czevak's great wisdom he created two executable files for the CM Patch. When you download the CM Patch you get them both. One will install/Enable the CM Patch contents and the other will uninstall/Disable the CM Patch content. So when you want to enjoy the CM content you can double click "cm-enable.exe" which is inside the "cm-patch.zip" download. While the CM Patch is enabled you won't be compatible with the servers so when you want to meet up with the gang on the servers just run the "cm-disable.exe" file from the download and you'll be good to go!
  3. If I use any of the mods for improving drops/merchants inventory, will that make me incompatible with the servers?
    IF you do this by editing your balance.txt file then you'll still be compatible with the servers
  4. Bonus: If I am installing Sacred 2 Gold for the first time and never used the activation keys before do I need to install Patch 2.43?
    Nope! You can skip that one and start the Ice and Blood install instead. It's only required to convert your pre-Ice & Blood characters, (If you have any), for compatibility with the Ice and Blood installer.

• 2 months later...

Wow I have been working way to much. Totally missed this thread until now. Sweet Job Schot! And of course my bro loco, I know you've done alot to get our games loaded up. Just yesterday I figured out why my video was fuzzy. Figured out how to get my full 1080p at 1920X1080 (native) on my 32 inch Toshiba. Wow does the game look better now.

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide..!

Now then... Is there one for how to successfully migrate from US 2.43? Besides backing up my save game files, is there anything else I need to worry about backing up?

Great guide..!

Now then... Is there one for how to successfully migrate from US 2.43? Besides backing up my save game files, is there anything else I need to worry about backing up?

as long as your characters have been opened in 2.43 you should be ok. Just back them up and save them until you get all the patches loaded.

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

First of all, thanks for being such a great resource to a great game. I recently started playing Sacred 2 after I bought it on Steam months ago. After reading the forums and the wiki, I really wanted Blood and Ice. I bought and downloaded Sacred 2 Gold from the Deep Silver store and installed the game per the instructions above. I installed the game while still having the Steam version installed. Surprisingly, the install had no problems (I installed all patches 2.43 and 2.65.2 included) and I still have my save games from my Steam playtime (I had several level 3 test characters and had one character up to level 17). I am using the Community Patch and loving it as well. Other than a bugged quest, I have had no problems. Also, I am using Win 7 64bit.

Thanks,

Scutty

• Like! 1

That's a great, positive post. I know that patching can be a nightmare, but it seems like you not only got the download, but getting it to work with the saved game files from Steam is actually very good news. I'm going to book mark this post for that info as it could be an encouragement to other players who have gotten the game via Steam and were thinking of upgrading to Sacred 2 Gold.

Glad you found us Scutty, welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

• 9 months later...

I'm bumping this topic, it's very well written. In fact, it's perfect. There's a ton of advice, info and other guides out there, but so many of them are messed up, this is one clear and lucid, and easy to understand. I had to re-install Sacred 2 after Schot upgraded system to Windows 7, and I was terrified of what I had remembered as being one of the toughest installs in my life.

It's still an awfully long process, but Schot's writeup here cuts to the chase quickly. Make sure you have all what you need at hand before you undertake the process and you'll make it through easily, I promise!

Expecting to see you guys on the weekend of 24th for the Pix, so if you have to reinstall the game, this is your way back home to us.

Go for it!

:)

gogo

p.s. two tricks I used this time to find the info, I was able to find the serial key for ice and blood in the installation email I received from DLGamer years ago...just did a search in Gmail (bless that prog!) and there they were, plus we were able to recover the login password for online HC from options custom file of my old drive, was able to copy/paste it into new installation. Wheet!