Torchlight 2 - New ingame Video June 30th

Runic games announced Torchlight 2 today, weee !

*will add in more info later, google for it meanwhile :) *

(am too busy, playing the Mythos Open Beta atm woot)

edit: ok, open beta server time-frame is over for today,

they are usually online for a limited time, 8-13 hours per day atm.. only weekends is nonstop for 2x24h..

regarding Torchlight 2:

http://www.torchlight2game.com/

teaser_website.png

Torchlight II

ignites the franchise created and developed by Runic Games in this exciting sequel to the award-winning Action RPG Torchlight.

Runic Games, located in Seattle, is a veteran team composed of the designers and leads of projects like Diablo, Diablo II, Mythos, Fate, and Torchlight,

which won the Game Developer’s Choice Award for Best Debut of 2009.

Torchlight II

is richly textured with our unique art style, drawing from traditional animation influences and expanding on the whimsical and quirky world captured in the original Torchlight. We aim for that broad appeal that’s appropriate for older kids, but is really intended for the kid in every adult.

CO-OP ACTION

The most exciting new feature of Torchlight II is the multiplayer element.

Play with your friends, and use the free peer-to-peer matchmaking service to meet new players of a similar level and interest.

Together players will discover expansive randomized outdoor areas and deep ominous caverns; random instanced and persistent dungeons, a huge variety of all new monsters and villains, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete.

Players journey through the perilous Overworld, enjoying all new weather features, time of day events, and a rich and cunning story to drive gameplay.

BACKSTORY

Beyond the town of Torchlight lies a world shrouded in adventure and mystery. Guardian-warrior Syl appears in a prophetic dream, summoning the player to the Estherian Steppes.

There, you meet with the Destroyer and soon venture across the continent of Vilderan, an exotic frontier besieged by forces of evil. A discovery unfolds, that the Alchemist, following his conquest of dark ember, disappeared on his quest to defeat the unknown corrupted force responsible for destroying the mystical race of Estherians. Aided by Syl, the remaining Estherian Guardians, and clues left behind by the missing Alchemist, you will find yourself battling a powerful enemy that threatens to unravel the elements of the entire world.

Runic Games will release Torchlight II initially as a digital download in Spring of 2011.

KEY FEATURES[/size]

• Multi-player – Play with your friends over a local area network, or over the Internet. A free matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you make new friends for exciting co-op play.
  • Customizable Characters – Players create and customize a character from one of four classes available and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic, class, and gender choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character can be custom-tailored to each player’s needs.
  • Moddability – Torchlight II will release with an updated version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. You and your friends can download the same mod and play together!
  • New User Interface – Torchlight II boasts an entirely new, improved user interface, designed to be easier than ever for new players to pick up and play. Thanks to this intuitive interface, players have immediate access to a rich and varied world, with little experience necessary.
  • Overworld Areas – Torchlight II has large randomized overworld areas to explore with weather, time of day cycles, and random events that provide players with even more content to experience.
  • Random Dungeons – Delve into randomly generated dungeons within the game at any time for extra experience and rare loot. Dungeons in Torchlight II have even more branching paths to explore with friends filled with random events, rewards and dangers.
  • Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks onto new characters.
  • Pets – Players choose a pet to accompany them. Pets level up along with the player, and help in battle, learn spells, carry items, and perform a variety of support services.
  • Fishing – Fishing returns in the sequel! Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to relax by one of the many fishing holes and see what they can catch. Fish have unique benefits for the player and pet, while a number of other rewards can also be discovered.

btw, this is not going to be the Torchlight MMO they're working on,

Perfect World/Runic games will publish the TL MMO some time after TL 2..

there's an early FAQ thread in the runic games forum over here as well, in the new Torchlight 2 subforum:

Runic Games - Torchlight 2 Subforum :

(FAQ) http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14139

on the new HP there's also a link to some early TL2 interviews in some game mags:

http://www.torchlight2game.com/

AND, they'll be @ gamescom too.. if you like such festivals / trade fairs , and also H&S ARPG's,

this year, there's going to be a lot to check out for you:

playable versions for all these 3 H&S ARPG's :

MYTHOS

DIABLO III

TORCHLIGHT 2

..and I still wouldnt give up hope on some news infos about Sacred 3 as well..

Edited by Rotluchs

Oh wow, you must be so torn over the Mythos/Torchlight tug-of-war Rotluchs, lol. I know how much you love the game style so you must be very excited. It really is a great style they got going. It's just a shame the creation got divided the way it did. But at the very least... Gratz on getting double the fun! :eek:

Nice! I really enjoyed Torchlight, but it got a bit boring only being able to play Single player.

in fact, thats why I stopped playing torchlight after I finished the story dungeons with 1 char..

havent even checked out all the mods, I know there might be some great ones..

Diablo I, Diablo II, Sacred 1 , Titan Quest, Silverfall, Loki, Mythos, Sacred 2 etc..

there never ever were any games out of this genre, that got me hooked up like Sacred I and Mythos..

it's good to know that for almost all of the above, there have been sequels announced,

so there will always be a H&S ARPG fall-back mode, if some games may fail which I hope they wont..

if they all rock, I could just pick my fav and stick with it. cause sure thing, there's by faaar not enough time to get into all of them.

I'd prefer Sacred 3 tho.. let's see how it goes.

after a long period of market-stagnation,

there's way more promising titles out of this genre then ever before, during the last years..

it might be right in time to compile a list with a short info about all of them..

there are so many atm, I can't even name all of them if you'd ask me to do so right now.. I'd have to check my bookmark-vault first :eek:

heh, I know you're so glad about this news, James. Is it going to be called Torchlight 2, or will they ever use the Mythos name again?

:4rofl:

gogo

the rights for the name/franchise 'Mythos' has Hanbit/T3 as I understand it, a Korean Publisher and/or Developer..

Flagship Studios were forced to sell them (Mythos+HG:L too) before they 'sunk' ..

former Flagship Members formed Runic Games, they did Torchlight then..

since they were the original developers of Fate and Mythos (at least some of them), you can see the similarities everywhere.. even in comparison to Diablo, no wonder - some have been even working for Blizzard back then. so that's 'blue blood' running through the veins of these games.

Mythos is currently in Open Beta in Korea, maintained and published by an entire new dev team / publisher.

the US/EU version will be published by Redbana US (Hanbit/T3 subsidiary) and publisher frogster (EU)

Perfect World holds now a major share of Runic Game's title Torchlight, they will publish the Torchlight MMO and have certain rights regarding it..

Runic Games announced Torchlight 2, atm it's unclear if the development/publishing will be with / or without Perfect World's 'help'

SHORT answer: NO. Runic games will no longer use the name Mythos for any of their future games, I think.

(tho in memory, Mythos will allways be 'their's' or lets say FSS's)

Edited by Rotluchs

Dang

oh well... whew... we get to vacation with another game and finish off the wiki until next year when they'll make the announcement

heh, I was honestly hoping to not hear too much too early... lol , still a lot I want to do with this game, and we need a vacation from the Wiki

:4rofl:

gogo

That sounds really nice. Read the post on Runic's forums yesterday.

More and better modding goodness and this time four char classes. Hopefully the implementation of new original classes is a bit easier than in original, it was kinda pain in the butt to figur out how to get some of 'em to work. :4rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Torchlight is the second reason (the first one is a rather personal, and it had nothing to do with bugs - except those between my ears) why I haven't been playing Sacred 2 anymore, after... Well, my last post here. :sigh: Suffice to say that I semi-accidentally found Torchlight, and I have been rather busy playing it, trying out various experimental builds and so on. And, naturally, participating in Runic Games Forums' discussions. :unsure: I sure will play Sacred 2 again, but with Runic's recent announcement of Torchlight 2, Blizzard's Diablo III coming out next year (positive thinking) and Grim Dawn... Hmm. We shall see. Perhaps I will wait until Sacred 3.

Edited by neuromantik

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLZ ! :

http://twitter.com/runicgames/status/21398237127

Runic Games Torchlight 2 Booth

will be right next to Frogster's, showcasing Mythos ..

well, that is.. terribly funny - or extremely sad . no, it's both...

guess I'll just go, play all of them..

looks like there's going to be enough time between actual the actual release dates of all of them ... TL2, TL:MMO, Mythos, Sacred 3, Diablo 3

tho I personally mistrust Mythos and Sacred 3 , somehow ...

edit:

btw here's also the official gamescom trailer for Torchlight 2 :

so Perfect World will have to do with TL2 as well, not only TL MMO it seems..

Edited by Rotluchs

That looks awesome!

I definitely recommend clicking the video to watch it full screen HD.

Edited by dreeft

the overworld that is shown at the end of this teaser, looks pretty much like the one in mythos.. no wonder:

it's Fate<Mythos<Torchlight<Torchlight2 , in 'evolutionary' / chronolgy order..

monsters.. look at the bigger ones at ~ 01:05 , they remind me of the Urax in Mythos..

also the sound effect of that 'electrical nova' thing @ ~01:18 .. I heard that before

01:21 , the tile-sets , ground textures.. etc.. that's also a typical Fate or Mythos Setting..

starting near the end, @ ~01:25 , you'll then see the dungeons and more complex architecture again, that you might know already from torchlight 1, and also Diablo III screenshots..

all over the entire lenght of the clip, you'll hear some of this wonderful Diablo-Like background music.. oh it's awesome..

I cant say anymore who started to copy whose look, first^^ but they always look so similar..

Edited by Rotluchs
Torchlight was good, I really enjoyed being part of the moding community on it, but Fate was much better than Torchlight, in my opinion.

I am curious, which part ? ;)

The trailer was great, and now that it has multiplayer, I'll most likely get my hands on this game when it will release.

Max

• 1 month later...

Torchlight is rumored to hopefully be out by holidays for XLA/PSN. Hopefully we get the second one two.

Get to buy it again and 2 twice :blush: Couch co op ftw.

I wounder if they will leave the modding open on PS3. Epic did it for UT3, more people need to do this.

just read the quote in your post, sounds pretty cool, if it plays anything like champions of norrath/baldur's gate: dark alliance I'll have to give it a try.

Sony needs to do a HD collection of this and ress the series.

Edited by SpiritThief
Torchlight is rumored to hopefully be out by holidays for XLA/PSN. Hopefully we get the second one two.

Get to buy it again and 2 twice :) Couch co op ftw.

I wounder if they will leave the modding open on PS3. Epic did it for UT3, more people need to do this.

just read the quote in your post, sounds pretty cool, if it plays anything like champions of norrath/baldur's gate: dark alliance I'll have to give it a try.

Sony needs to do a HD collection of this and ress the series.

ress? I agree, especially since champions of norrath & champions rta had online modes with a whole 'nother difficulty level, I think they'd be a lot more playable if they were re-released on the 360/ps3 (with drop in/drop out type multiplayer, like Sacred 2). If they do that I'd be crossing my fingers (in vain) for them to actually release baldur's gate: dark alliance 3 (why do you make 2 parts of a trilogy and then just drop it!?).

Anywho, just visited the main page for torchlight and it looks pretty good, especially since my pc could (probably) run it w/o massive framerate reduction. That and the free game editing tool seems pretty awesome too. Though I'm wondering, what exactly is the retirement option I've read about? Seen it compared to new game+, though it sounds like you just choose one item to give to a newer character.

So I downloaded the demo, and loved it :D

Edited by Rndm