grrr Windows updater double grrrr

erialc

Well finally I can use my browsers...yesterday I couldn't do a thing yet my connection work...I could use IRC and msn btu that was all except for email.

I didn't open any emails yesterday so I dont think it was that...an update from windows installed itself (I forgot to change the auto update thing) afterwards my pc went insane.

This morning I switched it back on and my browsers worked...before I could do anything more updates installed so I went to my isp page and saw this:

12th July 2006

Microsoft are aware of a publicly known exploit in some versions of operating system. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could take complete control of the affected system and perform denial of service. Microsoft have released a fix for these vulnerabilities and advises caution when opening links sent in an email from unknown sources.

Microsoft continue to advise customers to visit Microsoft Windows Update and ensure they have all the latest patches installed. We also recommend all our customers to visit our Safety and Security section for safe browsing tips

Well I have all updates installed but this was so odd...and very annoying *insert word of choice*

*Goes off to kill Bill*

:Mafia2:

Glad to be back though :)

Yup I'm starting to hate the windows updates. The first time the SP2 was installed, my PC was running at half speed. So I formated it. I have the SP2 again, but the performance drop wasn't notorious. But now, I found out my Win XP copy is a pirated one!!

Guest gogoblender

pirated?

are you sher man?

btw therion nice seein ya back dude....

re: pirated...I had heard that some peeps with real copies of windows were havin their copies validated by that windows stuipid valid advantage prog they got goin on.

Also...lol, did you know that you couldn't even use the beta of the new Exlorer without having your copy of Windows Validated?

:D

GAwd...what's with that?

lol, next thing you know they'll be asking for a credit rating next

/rolleyes

gogo

OH CRAP!! I just spilled a whole pint of coke on my self and my keyboard! /mad

Good thing we are both water resistant.

Yup, a friend of mine sold me my present pc, and when I needed to format the hard drive, I asked him for MY copy of win xp, and ever since, I can't dl "authentification-needed" updates. Any idea how I can be absolutely sure mine is authentic? Btw, the win xp cd my friend gave me is a burned copy, so that gives me a very good reason to think mine is truly pirated.

Btw, Thanx, its nice to be back.

Yup, a friend of mine sold me my present pc, and when I needed to format the hard drive, I asked him for MY copy of win xp, and ever since, I can't dl "authentification-needed" updates. Any idea how I can be absolutely sure mine is authentic? Btw, the win xp cd my friend gave me is a burned copy, so that gives me a very good reason to think mine is truly pirated.

Btw, Thanx, its nice to be back.

I hope you didn't pay for xp license to your friend, because for sure you got the copy of it /diablo

If the updates telling you "auth..-needed", it is mean your license key in use on some other computer(s)

I will send you pm to solve the issue. I hope it works. If it is not let me know and we will figure it out some other way. We will solve your issue one or another

Wow erialc. What a crappy thing that is. This just makes me wanna get Linux suse going even more. Grrrr @ Bill!

I wonder if we have any Linux experts on the forum? /whistle

Glad to read everything is ok now erialc. /hug

Oh yah and I did a fair bit of reading on the "windows genuine advantage"...

According to many sites the WGA is flawed and occasional unvalidates authentic installs of xp.

Once again. Way to go MS. /rolleyes