Ascaron IGN Blog

In the process of searching for Sacred 2 images, I came across this blog post written by Daniel Balster who was responsible for the quest system at Ascaron. This article is fairly old, and I'm sure some people have seen it before, but it's new to me so I figured I would share.

http://blogs.ign.com/AscaronEntertainment/2008/04/10/86433/

In it he explains the process for quest creation, character placement and story development. It is quite an interesting read and contains a lot of screenshots of their workflow. It's a real shame that the editor never got released.

sacred-2-fallen-angel-20080410113715034.jpg

There are also a bunch of other blog posts that can be accessed from here: http://blogs.ign.com/Indices/Blogs/Channel...n_angel/772338/

I particularly liked the post regarding the development of the 'Fog Monster' (Miasma): http://blogs.ign.com/AscaronEntertainment/2008/08/11/98854/

My favorite feature is the bumble bee. In addition to the sounds of wind, NPC's, myself etc. from time to time, there's the sound of a bumble bee. It just comes along and buzzes off again - it makes me smile every time, and I almost love it even more than the training doll!
Can't say I've noticed that myself. Anyone? Edited by dreeft

Yeah, they were done in the run up to the release of Sacred 2. There was so much buzz on the forums back then...

:)

As to creating the fog boss, I think Daniel should have been whipped through the streets of Gutersloh (?) for that (or the boss cam if nothing else)...

I remember that site, and when the blogs were being updated. I had actually contacted the lead for that project, and for a while, they were giving us advance times on the releases for when blogs would come out.

Like llama said, in those days, so much information was being blasted everywhere in anticipation of the release.

Exciting era!

gogo

I really wish I had been around back then. I don't think I ever heard of the release of Sacred (or Sacred 2) here.

I am interested to know how some of the old school Australian players learned about the game? DB, I'm looking at you.

I really wish I had been around back then. I don't think I ever heard of the release of Sacred (or Sacred 2) here.

I am interested to know how some of the old school Australian players learned about the game? DB, I'm looking at you.

Although I'm not from Australia, there was no news/hype about the release over here either. I found the game (for console) while at the local gamestop. I think I was about to buy prototype, but the epic battle scene on the cover of Sacred 2 pulled my eyes over. After reading the back cover, I decided to give it a whirl. Another motive for buying it was that it reminded my alot of gauntlet dark legacy, which holds a lot of good memories.

but the epic battle scene on the cover of Sacred 2 pulled my eyes over. After reading the back cover, I decided to give it a whirl.

Awesome you mention that. The guy who was in charge of direction for that image used to post here at DarkMatters. He was explaining a bit about how/why they did that for the marketing.

His name was mario ...I forget the rest...I'll see if I can find the post for you.

gogo

p.s. I just found it Hello From Spin Doctor Mario

And this too

Sacred 2 Box Art - June 27th/08, Has finally arrived!

Gogo, are you sure he was responsible for the box art? If the US cover was different then I could understand "Spin doctor" (oh how appropriate) Mario being in charge of it, but why would DS use the same pic? I'd have thought that Ascaron would have designed the image (possibly with thoughts from their main distributors).

And DS didn't have similar over their box? They probably both had to agree on a common box (as seems to be the norm these days), it just seems unreasonable for Mario/CDV to take full credit for it (unless they did actually design/whatever it & sold/whatever it to DS. Though it's not like we know anything about the contractual requirements between Ascaron & their publishers, other than that the publishers are responsible for their regional servers).

I remember these blogs... :)

Im with you llama...whoever designed the bosscam... :bye:

Haha dreeft, actually, I played Sacred Underworld back in the day online, never joined up here though, just used to lurk here and the SIF reading about all the aweseom happenings back in Underworlds heyday. And yeah, heard about Sacred 2 then and was always gonna buy it. There wasnt really info about it in Australia, but llama had this awesome thread on the SIF which had links to every bit of new info on it. So yeah, there was plenty to read.