30 gig hard memory...what's wrong with me?

Guest gogoblender

Guest gogoblender

Actually...I'm fine

But I've only got 30 gig memory hard drive with my comp...and I've only used half of it.

I told a friend of mine this the other day...and him and all the other friends surrounding me burst into evil raucous laugher...

pointing bbq-sauce laden fingers at me whilst spraying me with foul-smelling beer.

What's wrong with 30 gig memory anyway?

Do you guys have more?

Is there any benefits at all for me to double it in terms of performance?

/unsure

gogo

now I am little confused but as I understand you are talking about your hard drive size (not the Ram memory).

If you are really using 30 gb and half of it already empty I would like to join your friends with bbq-sauce laden fingers /rofl

It is really amazing how you are getting away with that much space only. Actually if you are not really in to downloading movies, etc. from net it is fairly good size of hard drive.

About the performance you asked: because of you have a older model of hard drive it is probably "5400 rpm" speed and possible regular "ide" interface connection.

With new generation hard drives commonly comes with 7200 rpms and if you pay more you can go for the 10000 rpms. Also connection style is varies like Sata, Sata3, ....

Sata has great advantage with the transfer rate (it affects speed) and also such a small cable connector which one leaves you a lots of space in the computer case (good for air flow). But you mother board has to carry sata ports on it to use. In your motherboard's hand book you can find witch interface you can use it.

If you are not really working with the huge size files or something, absolutely not necessary to buy a bigger hard drive. And looks like you don't even have a problem with the size at all so keep you r money for us and lets meet at the bar and celebrate your small hdd /drool :o

If you need more info about hdd types or any other thing I wrote just ask for it I will write little bit more detail on it. Right now I don't have much time.

Guest gogoblender

size, size, size...

:o @ Erialc....

/rolleyes

heh, yarasa, actually thanks very much fer the awe4some post.

Yeah, I don't really download movies..(actually evil crunchie has shown me new powers...hate you dude /viking )

So I really only use the comp fer surfing and/or game playing.

it's a good comp I guess, 2.54 ram with an awesome card I picked up...and I get performance.

It sounds like the extra performance that a new hd with more space will give me is probabaly not that much?

In either case...next year is when I retire this old 3 year old beast.

She done me good...but one laugh a thon is about all I can bear.

And I'll join up with ya fer a beer any day friend...montreal's not too far away, right?

/beer

gogo

Size matters!

I got sata 160gb and a 250gb on my main comp that is more or less full due to various "things" I tend to dl and backups that dates back to 2000 or older (I began thinking about sorting out the backups a couple years ago but havent gotten around to do it yet).

On my other comp I got 2x60gb, 300gb and a 120gb. <--- this one is mainly just a storage device for things I may need or may not need, alot of traffic goes through this one, and things never get stays there for more than a month at all time.

I also got 3x40gb maxtor discs, which im somewhat unsure if they work properly, probably need to do a lowformat on them to check and recreate index integrity. Whenever friends get a problem with their hd, they seem to think its busted, which I ofcuz help them to believe as well. While they buy a new one, the old hd ends up with me .. and usually a lowformat is all that is needed to fix the problem. Been pondering about building a linux box based on these for the last year, but havent gotten around to do it yet. Mainly cuz I need to remember to buy fans that doesnt sound like a jet plane for the cab :o

Ah I also got a 30gb and 2x40gb from the old and terrible ibm series that wrecked havoc in the hardware world couple years ago. I keep them in plain sight to remind me never to buy ibm/hitachi discs again.

Thats about it.

If youre planning to do a hd upgrade, make sure you have sata channel to support sata discs. If you are getting an sata disc that is.

Ooops, also got my first ever quantum fireball 3gb and a seagate 1.5gb that is still working!

Between Inc and I we have 1.6 Tb :o And we need more!

Ok so we like downloading stuff /wink and Inc doesnt like to delete anything /rolleyes

Our music collection on its own is over 60gig :)

And we have a dvd collection of about 300 movies (back ups of course :), in case the local video store ever burns down lol)....

omg...*hides the 120 gig /blush and steals Aur's music collection* hehe I've heard some of it and it's awesome now the rest of it has to be the just as awesome /lmao

Resists all the size jokes that are now swimming round my mind /rofl

Guest gogoblender

damn you crunchie

my friend has shown me the evil world of torrents

nooooooooooo

must....

have....

more...

space....

hate you crunchie

/viking

gogo

p.s.noooooo aur, I now know what you and inc are talkin about when sayin you don't wanna erase anything...

nooooooooo

Don't worry gogo, hard drive space isn't everything. In the couple of years I have enjoyed my pc I have never gone beyond 40gigs in my 80 gb hard drive /rofl

I think it's because I'm quite obsesive with my files. I really don't worry about having movies and stuff on my hd, I prefer having them on dvd or cd.

I would love to get for myself a 10000rpm 160gb raptor tho... /rolleyes

Spare a thought then for me... my previous flat was infested with power surges (and no, my 'special' adapters did not stop it). These surges left me with 2 corrupted 80G hard drives of which one was fubar. The other is crammed with mp3s. I made a backup of it all and thought :'Yeah, now I've can clean up again'... WRONG, my car got stolen with all my CDs and those pretty new mp3 discs ! The surges also made the smoke escape from my cpu and I had to replace the power supply twice, which left me with zero funds available for a UPS (heaven knows how I would swear had the surges messed up my UPS... had I bought one). I also lost 512 memory (what a beautiful moment that was ! my lungs ached for a week with all the sigarettes used just to 'remain calm') a DVD player, Microwave and, believe it or not, a toaster !

So I got this old 8G hard drive from a friend "just for an OS"... I have windows XP on there and sacred, the other drive is still filled with mp3s although I deleted a lot of music I don't actually listen to anymore, to make room for TQ demo !! 8Gig is pittyful.

I remember the days when 20Meg was a HUUUUUGE drive :P

/shok

looks like you have a bad luck with your equipment. You absolutely need some good quality ups for protecting your electronics but I don't know how you can protect your car.

year 1994 and I had my first PC with 20 mb hard drive. It was good enough for the start :) Then I had to do "doublespace" on it to get some more space. It jump to 30-35 mb after using doublespace program. Then year 1996, I bought my first harddrive which one was 540mb and I was thinking this will last me forever :P .

So far I am lucky with the equipment. I didn't fry or broke any thing so far *knocks the wood, crosses the fingers, ...*

I do replace my hardware very often, maybe that is why. Nothing stays in my computer more than a 2 years (except monitor and case)

And just remembered I didn't got my hdd back-up quite a while. So I should plan for it in this week. Good to remember. *sends himself a email for reminder*

• 2 weeks later...
But I've only got 30 gig memory hard drive with my comp...and I've only used half of it.

I told a friend of mine this the other day...and him and all the other friends surrounding me burst into evil raucous laugher...

Don't worry Gogo, that just means that they have more pr0n than you.

hey gogo I'll join your side, I only have 60GB and I use far less than half. It's not the siz, it's how you use it that matters /blush And did I see someone near a TB of usage up there? Thats' redonkulous /drool. I could store so much po....I mean songs on there.

Guest gogoblender

nice gear

heh, fer a second there I thought this was gonna be our first pron thread

*yuk yuk love that word)

/devil

gogo

• 3 weeks later...