Kobold Chieftain

big al

Hello everyone,

I am currently level 15 using kat's pyro elf build. On ps3

And cannot beat the chieftain; I checked my quest log it was a 3 star when I first got it. Now it's a 4 star quest; now that I'm trying to beat him.

His regen is fast and resistant to fire. His hitpoints regen as fast as I take them away.

What should I do to beat him? Any strategies...welcome

My elf has no socketed items just whatever I get from drops.

I use pyro Combat Arts and also delphic arcane Combat Arts mixed in.

Thx,

AL

Edited by big al

Welcome to DarkMatters!

Kobald Chief is a great test bed for your build, lets you know if your strong enough to move on to more difficult areas. Anyway like you have already seen he is resistant to fire, he is weakest against Ice magic and posion, See Here, I would say use your Cobalt Strike and Magic Coup to take him out, when he reaches down to pick up a rock be ready to Shadow Step out of the way or run to the side if you have run speed.

If you are still having issues with him go back down south and kill more kobalds for a few levels then revisit him.

It takes a little while but he can be killed using fire as well. My HE used incendiary shower with ancestral fireball and drank concentration potions to regenerate CAs quickly between casts. I found it advantageous to first kill all the Kobolds in the area of the chieftain as they gang up on you while you are busy boss killing.

• 2 weeks later...

Some times it has to do with gear. Like you need to get over the lip to make your damage. The kobold chief CAN be killed by fire.

So the question becomes how to make more damage per second? For that I would test out different combat arts. I suspect that blazing tempest might work ok. It is not designed for a single target, but it does a DOT which might help overcome the fire armor. Not sure if thats true, but ages ago people used to say they used frost flare on ice resistant mobs in christmas island because its a dot. Again I am uncertain if that is true, I play a lot of melee.

Another idea is to try to do even more fire damage. By increasing either regeneration, crit, deathblow if its not ice and blood, %fire damage, +CA level..... If a little fire doesn't work, what about more fire? When you have a heros chest or bargainer that will help or high level smith.

Another idea is to use a damage form other than fire. High elves have low attack ratings, but magic coup has a built in increase to attack that doesn't even show up on your tooltip for 'chance to hit enemy'... You can hit 100% with magic coup even though the chance to hit listed is 50...

You could use glacial thorns or frost flare...

Incendiary shower does some physical damage (though he also has physical armor)..

Another tip is to put spells from different aspects in different slots and they recharge on separate timers. Then you switch. So frost flare then incendiary then coup then repeat...... Thats got to be enough DPS or else you need better gear like I said.