Gaming rigs

xtaino

Well I'm a nerd for computers and curios how people there gaming rigs are.

I have a pc and a laptop I will post laptop now pc later, to post your gaming rig make a dxdiag (start>run>dxdiag>save> copy pasta here and voila)

Here is the rig of my laptop.

Machine name: L33T0P

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International

System Model: MS-1688

Processor: Intel® Core i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.1GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3886MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

I want to overclock it and not overclock it.

Main reason dont want to overheat my cpu.

Why I want Reason:I want bbqing on my laptop.

Well this is a copy from another post I did of my evolution into a new pc.

O.k. I got all new gear coming from newegg for a new Pentium i5 2.66 Ghz quad with 4 gb of ram. gonna use my vid card GTX260 and monitor keyboard etc... wondering what operating system I should install. I have good copies of xp and vista. Does Sacred2 seem to favor one over the other.

So this is the system I originally bought and built:

Case Apevia

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811144102

Memory 4Gb Gskill

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231193

Hard Drive WD Caviar Black 640 GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136319

Video Card BFG GTX260

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143198

CPU Intel i5 750 2.66Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115215

Motherboard ASRock P55 Extreme

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813157172

Powersupply Apevia 700w

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817148040

Display LG 2230 1080p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16824005136

And looked like this

100_2007.jpg

Then I began the upgrades:

CPU cooler Thermal Take QSPIN for much better CPU cooling since I am overclocking to 3.8 Ghz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835106123

Second GFX Card BFG GTX260 because, well...... just because!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143198

More Memory from Gskill if 4Gb is good 8 has to be better right

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231193

and Finally a new Much Better Case, the Antec Nine Hundred two becuse the old case was horrible at cooling! and after adding the second GFX card temps went out of control

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129058

And now it looks like this in with the new and out with the old:

100_2085.jpg

And I did a much better job of cable management this time. This new case is amazing and I wish I had not tryed to safe $50 the first time by buying a cheap case. this thing dropped my idle and loaded temps by 10-15 degrees with the fans on low instead of high. Its nice and quiet. the top fan is 240mm! for those like me that couldn't comprehend how big it is. 1ft is close to 300mm. so yeah is like 8in in diameter. :)

Friend of my got the same computer housing its a godsend housing and really easy to clean to.

Yealos of you gtx260, furhtermore nice rig gonna upload my pc sometime.

It's more powerfull than my laptop (overclocked etc).

I have mixed opions about the os.

Vista in general is a ram sucker it sucks alot of ram and I only had bad experiences with it and I think you need to do some special things to get sacred 2 working in vista not sure.

For xp well you need xp 64 bit if you want to fully utilize your ram (32 bit has a max ram of regonizing of 3GB).

And to be honest xp 64 bits kinda fails with most programs.

The choice is vista 64 bit or xp 64 bit they both fail for me but if I must choose vista 64 bit.

The best choice is to get a copy of windows 7 64bit (pirate) it works like a charm on my pc and laptop.

Also what I noticed with my video card if I get a 32 bit OS running on my laptop all my graphics of games go weird.

Like in sacred 2 the cell shader goes crazy strange stripes all over the screen or in borderlands same problem.

And you need to have 64 bit to utilize your ram to the fullest.

If you have anymore questions ask away : D

PS my display owns yours 28" full HD tv screen.

For maximum gaming try plasma tv of 2 meter with dolby suround tried it once and only 1 word to say about it wow...

Edited by xtaino

Machine name: NEKO-PC

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Language: Finnish (Regional Setting: Finnish)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/19/08 11:06:45 Ver: 08.00.14

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 1642MB used, 2452MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4770

Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x94B3)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94B3&SUBSYS_031C1043&REV_00

Display Memory: 1274 MB

Dedicated Memory: 507 MB

Shared Memory: 767 MB

Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Monitor Model: Acer AL2416W

Casing is little older Antec's full tower

Really a great case.

Processor is overclocked to a bit over 3 gigs. About the max with my current mobo. Really not fit for overclocking...

thermaltake-cl-0114.jpg

Which is why I have to use this one to keep it relatively cool. About 52C in full load this summer. Mebbe a around 47 now that it's cooler.

Could use some more memory and better mobo. If everything goes well, I might be able to put down some money for an upgrade in near future. ^^

@xtaino: 7 is working like a charm for me too. Upgraded straight from XP to 7. What I've seen in friends', Vista is really a bugger. Slow as hell and all.

If not gaming, I might be using something like Ubuntu, but 7 owns me right now.

Edited by Stormwing

Neko nya nya~

It's AMD and you got same sort grahpic card only a bit lower.

My pc has asus cooler case works great 35 degrees in summer (airco in my room ftw.)

I had ubuntu and I loved it problem is DX I couldn't render games normally etc.

So I have dual boot on pc now for school and movies etc ubuntu for gaming W7.

Like I said pirate a 7 but I don't think its allowed to post torrent links here and dont wanna get in trouble with a mod D:

I will upload some pics of my pc and laptop to nothing special bout them but there pretty good both :)

In room 2 sacreds 2's friend and I over closed net.

Well I'm gonna blow up skellies again pretty nice rigs here.

Sacred 2 definitely works better on XP Loco (which is why Dobster's dual booted his as well).

Mine's definitely not an uber rig like yours are, I'm using my old (& now a bit manky) bland case of genericness, with the following stuff in it:

Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 Sli NF650

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

1GB HiS HD4890 PCI-E H489F1GP

4 Gig 800MHz DDR2 (Corsair IIRC)

Creative SB Live (yup, this is ~11 or so years old)

Looking at my account on Scan, I've had the gfx card since May 09, cpu since ~Sept 08 & everything else since April 07!

I would like to get some new kit, but 2 kids are expensive (& #3's eta is mid Feb), so we're probably not going to have the money for it for quite some time...

Edit: Mind you, by the time I can afford it, SSD's will probably be more affordable/practical/mainstream/etc.

I have installed partitions with XP 32, XP 64, vista32, win7 64 to test the stability and performance in game.

Honestly, out of all off them, my win7 64 is the the most trouble free of all of them with the best in game performance ( frame rate, load time, multi tasking etc). Now I know I had issues with win7 64 in the beginning, and the XP32 was good no doubt, but seemed slow on my comp, and still didn't let me use PhysX or Elite graphics well. XP32 also was less powerful when it comes to multitasking 3 windows of Sacred2 plus browser and media player and hardware monitors and xfire and etc and etc., like I often do. The 3Gb limit really lagged things down.

My PC just really seems to be built for the newer OS. and it just screams in the 64bit environment.

One thing I discovered when working out all of my issues was that every bodies PC and experience is gonna be just a bit different.

Must have took you along time, installing 3 differnent OS.

Overall windows 7 has better preformances cause of the advanced cpu usement.

It is designed for multi core CPU's and can fully utilize them.

Vista can fully utilize dual core but not quad core and xp well, pentium 4 ftw?

My laptop can run sacred 2 on elite but on some parts its a bit laggy.

So I keep it at low and use my pc for the high/elite graphs.

put the 2 of them together and you will see the difference keeps amazing me the differnce between low/high graphics

My rig, at this moment, consists of:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6240 2,13GHz @ 2,52GHz

3x1GB Corsair DDR2

ASUS HD4670 1GB GDDR3

500GB Western Digital HDD

Windows XP SP3 32-bit

There's another 320GB Western Digital HDD on the way, and two replacement fans for my CPU & GPU coolers.

I'm planning to install Windows Vista 64-bit on the new HDD.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a hardware nut, and I like to change my setup a lot, but after the upgrade it is supposed to last in the current state until it breaks down or I decide to get a new system.

@Timotheus I would upgrade 3x1GB Corsair DDR2 to a 2x2GB or 1x4GB DDR3 if you got the money it will run abit faster.

If you get new fans I don't know if you have case cooler but I would recommend a overclock and windows 7 64 bit to get the maximum preformance.

Like locolagarto mentioned windows 7 works best, you have a nice rig overall.

I'm gonna create a new case, I'm gonna sandpaper the case and spray it black and make custom logo on it.

Furthermore I need abit of case design I'm trying to get a "kuroFECAL MATTER!suji" (anime) style case, I know an airbrusher but I need to have awesome design.

I will post the case that I'm gonna mod later it has neon lights in it : D

I noticed that sh*t is cencored the name of the anime is kurosh*tsuji and kuro means black sh*t suji butler so it wasn't wasn't meant as an insult D:

Edited by xtaino
@Timotheus I would upgrade 3x1GB Corsair DDR2 to a 2x2GB or 1x4GB DDR3 if you got the money it will run abit faster.

If you get new fans I don't know if you have case cooler but I would recommend a overclock and windows 7 64 bit to get the maximum preformance.

Like locolagarto mentioned windows 7 works best, you have a nice rig overall.

I know you can't look in my pc, but I am not buying a motherboard based on the X45 (?) chipset simply to make use of DDR3.

My current motherboard is a Jetway P965-based motherboard with sufficient OC'ing options to give the system a bit of a boost, but I'm not pushing the OC a lot further. When I mentioned I'm replacing the fans I really meant changing the fans only: both my CPU and GPU coolers are loud (CPU by choice of fan, GPU by degradation of the inner fan). I don't want to change coolers.

I don't need the fastest system around, for what I play at the moment, my rig will suffice. I might get another GB of RAM though.

Also, I'm not buying 7 until I can pick it up cheap. I may even hold off until the next Windows arrives. Then I'll just get a new system.

Edited by Timotheus

@Timotheus

I wasn't trying to attack you D: you have a nice gear but I just wanted to help D:

Oh well : D I always pirate my windows more of ubuntu type myself but I can't game with it.

But imo vista isn't really good so if it was up to me I would say stay to xp : D

@Timotheus

I wasn't trying to attack you D: you have a nice gear but I just wanted to help D:

Oh well : D I always pirate my windows more of ubuntu type myself but I can't game with it.

But imo vista isn't really good so if it was up to me I would say stay to xp : D

That's OK, and I don't consider my gear that nice LOL there are much better systems out there!

I've used pirate versions of 2000 and XP before, but I switched to OEM software. A lot less pricey than retail.