The legendary bratwurst

xtaino

Edit on request~

My parents are befriend with a few germans and like most of you know german bratwurst is the best : D

When your on festivals and eat bratwurst there and then try to get the ones from a local store there not even near as good.

They learned me a way how to make it really great.

things you need:

A pot with cheap beer or water.

Bratwurst (try to get it at local supermarket).

Something that can grill princess-contact-grill-112401-(123883).png I use something like this.

A microwave.

A lil bit of curry(supermarket stuff works) and something you can put the curry in that can survive a microwave. (I use a hard plastic lil round cup thingie)

How to make it,

-Boil the wurst in a pot with the cheap beer or water for about 5-8 minutes (thanks czevek and kriv)

-Turn on the grill thingie and wait till it's warm enough.

-put bratwurst between gril and close it.

-Keep turning the bratwurst around when you think it's warm enough on one side (remember your grilling it)

-when the bratwurst is done put the curry in something that can survive a microwave.

-warm it up for 1 to 1:30 minutes till you have warm curry:

-Spread the curry over the bratwurst and enjoy.

When grilled it tastes the best of all and with warm curry the spices of the curry give a great kick to the taste.

Great to be used with gaming if you dont spill on your keyboard like me D:

Have fun and if you have questions ask me.

If you get a strange mutant alien disease D: don't sue me.

Edited by xtaino

The curry and bratwurst together sounds awesome! (Clever with using the microwave...moist heat combined with dry heat of the grill) I think you got a baby mouth watering going on for me there

Let's see the pix!

:bounce:

gogo

• Thanks! 1

I ate the last ones D: I will make some tomorrow when I'm done with school then make pics.

and make some moar : D so wait till tomorrow.

It tastes great try it out : D

Idea from my parents I also have one of a delicous apple pie, but I need to ask my mom for the info on it.

It involves malibu (alchahol) it's best aplie pie ever : D if I get the info I will post it.

I need to bake one when a friend of mine hits level 130 on another game XD

It's great seeing you here in the food section. Delicious foods make foodies out of all of us ^^

And look...yer a natural and interesting forum poster after all!

:bounce:

gogo

Obviously your german friends are from western part of germany, where Bratwurst with Curry is used. Berliner Currywurst is a bit different, and as always, the variant I am used to has the best taste. At least for me because I grew up with this varriant.

We precook a Bratwurst before grilling. We take ones which are not from fine chopped meat but have the meat pieces about 2-3 times the size of the fine cut variant. You don't cook the wurst long, so it stays soft and juicy. Too long cooking will make the muscle meat harden out . After grilling it is cut and ketchup with curry is added and served with pommes frites (can we say french fries , or are it still freedom fries?).

We precook a Bratwurst before grilling. We take ones which are not from fine chopped meat but have the meat pieces about 2-3 times the size of the fine cut variant. You don't cook the wurst long, so it stays soft and juicy. Too long cooking will make the muscle meat harden out .

About how long does this take Chattius? I do like sausage, but I'm never sure on how to cook it properly... the outside is always burnt, or the inside never gets cooked well enough for me

:)

gogo

About how long does this take Chattius? I do like sausage, but I'm never sure on how to cook it properly... the outside is always burnt, or the inside never gets cooked well enough for me

gogo

Notice the difference between cook and fry. First cook (or for a better word: boil) it to get it thorougly done through. (About 5-8 minutes in boiling water)

Then transfer to the frying pan and roast it till its just nice and crispy fried without burning. :bow:

To serve a common prejudice: Cut it up and mix the pieces on your plate with 2/3rds mashed potatoes and 1/3rd Sauerkraut.

Severeal houses and quite strong walls in germany were built using this recipe for plaster. :)

No, I am just kidding, but here in rhineland-palatinate this dish is named after a concrete building mixture from times long ago, consisting of straw, loam and water: "Strohlehme"

You will spot the resemblance once you made it. :)

Edited by czevak

German has 16 states, 15 are inhabited by germans being gourmets. One is inhabited by us hessians being gourmands.

10 years ago there was a supermarket here which had 18 variants of bratwurst and one variant of potatoe chips. Then walmart bought it and now it has 1 tasteless variant of bratwurst and 18 variants of potatoe chips. Luckily we have a butcher in neighbour village and I can avoid buying at walmart.

• Like! 1
10 years ago there was a supermarket here which had 18 variants of bratwurst and one variant of potatoe chips. Then walmart bought it and now it has 1 tasteless variant of bratwurst and 18 variants of potatoe chips. Luckily we have a butcher in neighbour village and I can avoid buying at walmart.

lol

eeeeeeeee heh, the tragedy of main stream tastes.

This is probably one of the reasons why I hate shopping at the Metro near me, if it's green and organic, they'll only stock one kind of it.

Bless the chinese grocery store near me

gogo

Ok here's a question, most all I have around here is mass produced bratwurst like from (Walmart). If I go to a Butcher how do I ask for or what do I look for in a proper German bratwurst? I have German in my blood, trying to learn German in game with the help of my iphone and a translator, I want some real German bratwurst in my belly.

There from the DDR (eastern part)

They are real gourmets and make great cooks.

There in the same village as me, @chatius well you have the easy and the extensive ways.

There are many ways to cook it and this one I love the most and it's the easiest.

Soon I will post a delicous apple pie from my mom recipes : D

@Furian67 I don't really know what you mean but I think if you ask for a currywurst or a bradwurst he knows what it its.

With christmass we always import german bratwurst, I'm going to try and create a 1 meter long kit-kat that is gonna be hard.

You americans have it easy with your giant refigritors D:

heh,it'd have to be an amphibian to get across ^^ Furian, good call on the net for this... I know you can get some seriously yummy goodies on line delivered pretty quickly.

Costly though

gogo

When I lived in Wisconsin I learned the art of beer boiling the brat before grilling it. It is great for tailgating prior to a Brewers or Packers games.

Just like the boiling directions above, just use cheap beer instead of water.

Just like the boiling directions above, just use cheap beer instead of water.

Oh how nice. I've got to try this with some of my homebrewed beer. :D

Instead of buying it over net or shipping it around try make it yourself you lazy guys. ;)

Recipe for homemade Bratwurstteig and manual for making the wurst:

Bratwurstteig (the filling of your precious Bratwurst):

1kg (2 pounds) of pork (ratio of lean to fat about 1:4 or 1:5)

1/2 to 1 clove of garlic (peeled and pressed trough garlic press)

1 heaped Teaspoon Salt

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

2 heaped teaspoons of sweet paprika powder

1 heaped teaspoon marjoram (important for the original taste)

add Thyme, Caraway and Pepper to taste.

Remove bones, tendons, skin and other parts of the pork you don't want to go in your wurst.

Grind the pork through a meat grinder. (Use the fine or crude disc to individual taste)

Mix the remaining ingredients into the minced meat and place in the freezer for 30 Min.

You need something to fill it in of course:

Take 1,7 metres of cleaned Pig gut.

Place the gut in lukewarm water for 3 hours.

Remove the gut from the water and carefully squeeze out any water that found its way inside.

Thread nearly entirely on the sausage filling funnel of your meatgrinder. Knot the protruding end.

Fill your Bratwurstteig into the grinder and slowly start filling your wurst. Be careful not to push too much of teig into the gut it might burst, but avoid enclosing air bubbles. if the gut rips you have to re-knot the end obviously.

When the wurst has the desired lenghth, turn the filled part of the gut around two times to close the wurst and start a new one. Turning to the left and right in alternation from wurst to wurst will help stopping them unravelling again.

Once filled they should be boiled or fried immedeately, since the homemade wurst does not keep that long. You can freeze them if you want to keep them for later.

Tipp for the pros: To determine the right taste of your wurstteig, take a sample and fry it like hamburger meat in your pan. If you like what you got, start filling. This actually makes a nice dish of its own if you want to skip the messy hassle with the gut.

Have Fun!

Edited by czevak

Doing it like czevak described, which is a good way for small numbers or just to try it out:

220px-Sausage_making-H-1.jpg

Or you buy half a pig at a slaughterhouse (I use t odo this) and do several sausages, then you use a Wurstpresse or Wurstfüller (sausage press , sausage filler). The toothing is in the way that one turn of the handle will do one sausage. You can attach different sizes of pipes, to produce different diametres of wurst. The press has the advantage that air bubbles are avoided and the saúsage is more homogen, not being a mix of soft and hard parts.

Wurstpresse.JPG

You put the gut on the pipe, and after each sausage you twist/turn the gut to close the sausage.

Cnv0011.jpg

In november till february, when no flies were around, we did slaughter 3-4 pigs when I was young.

Living in germany's most barbaric state we do big portions of Brät (that's what you fill into the guts and where the name Brat comes from). We did several different sausages at once, cooking them in an old copper kettle. The cooking water did a light soup (Wurstsuppe). We took some of the soup, some Brät (the bratwurst filling), vinegar, cut onions, cut bread, some spice and created a very sour ,but refreshing soup which we call Sauer Broi (Broi is hessian for Brühe, soup,brew). The soup wss eaten at the next day after a slaughtering/butchering. Some of the sausages were smoked afterwards.

Oh I hated it as a 12-16 year old boy to clean the guts: Filling them with water, doing the digested remains out, using a pole to do inside out, checking for bandworms, damaged parts, removing fat inside. What a smell and what a lesson in parasits it detecting bandworms.

When I was a small boy, 5-8, I had to twirl blood. The butcher opened the neck arteria and pumped a foreleg to press the blood out, I had to catch the blood with a bucket and twirl it quickly. It was used for blood sausages.

Then the pig was placed in an big iron bathtub, and boiling water was used to clean it and soften the hair. The hair/fur was cut away (kept to make brushes). Then a tripod was used to hang it up, rear legs up and fixed on hooks on the tripod. Then it was opened, I had to get the intestial/guts and do the cleaning. It was then cut and hacked in two halves and part after part removed.

At least this dirty party you can avoid when buying a half pig at a slaughter house. Found some picture of how it looked, not same since we kept the blood. I put it in spoilers. So only open if you are not afraid by the looks.

Spoiler

Edit: Don't know how to put images in a spoiler, hope it works this way now.

Edited by chattius
At least this dirty party you can avoid when buying a half pig at a slaughter house. Found some picture of how it looked, not same since we kept the blood. I put it in spoilers. So only open if you are not afraid by the looks.

For some reason the spoiler doesn't seem to work.

I guess no-one nowadays thinks it takes that much work for a real butcher to make some sausages. Not with all the mass-produced stuff hanging in store.

Hope I got the spoiler part right now. (How to place a picture in a spoiler?)

In our village the butchering equipment is owned by the village. It is moved from house to house whenever someone is needing it.

A friend is trying to help rebreeding the german Weideschwein (pasture pig). It was a robust wooly race, which can be kept outdoors in winter (clearings in oak forests). Meat is told to be better than that of fast growing races.

The last of such pigs died out in 1975, but nowadays people noticed that with the old domestic animals even some wild animals die out. Such half domestic pigs lived in forest cleanings for centuries and without them the plants and with them the animals living there changed.

Wow, that looks like alot of work. But I think I would enjoy my meals more this way also. They worked for it, you know where it came from and what it went through. And I am really sure there would be no wasted food on the plate. Eat only what you need, you worked hard for it.

I would really like to try making my own but I don't have the press or meat grinder. I'll check the price of them at the store.

Wow, that looks like alot of work. But I think I would enjoy my meals more this way also. They worked for it, you know where it came from and what it went through. And I am really sure there would be no wasted food on the plate. Eat only what you need, you worked hard for it.

I would really like to try making my own but I don't have the press or meat grinder. I'll check the price of them at the store.

I would strongly suggest getting a hand operated one. The invaluable advantage is not having a race between you and the machines motor, when filling the gut. Sooner or later the machine always wins...resulting in a small scale kitchen redecoration. :whistle:

The price on amazon.com goes from about 20$ (I would not recommend those) to 130$. I think the stainless steel ones seemed to get better reports. Midrange about 50-60$ should suffice the household needs nicely WITHOUT having to curse the stuff to heck and back when using it.

Edited by czevak

I have a powerful electric grinder, but the sausage press is hand driven. You want to have your own speed when making sausages. So if you just use a grinder to do sausages - take a handdriven one.

I have big amounts of flesh when doing a half pig, so I prefer a electric grinder, but not an electric press.

The grinder gets in use also when we do Wirsing (english name savoy cabbage?) at this time of the year:

220px-Wirsingkohl.jpg

We take the leaves and boil them and then put them into the grinder.

A bit salt, pepper, nutmeg and sugar and only the inner white leaves and it is served as an replacement for salad:

152288-bigfix-wirsing.jpg

Or savoy cabbage sauce with potatoes - same as above but not as fine grinded and more of the green outer leaves. Then add cream and red onions:

20010-big-wirsing-in-sahnesauce.jpg

All the cabbages in our garden get ripe around the same time, so we have to work and freeze them in a single afternoon, powerful grinder helps a lot.

We have 5 kids and an au pair girl, so we usually are 8 persons at the table. A smaller hand driven grinder would be enough for a 2 person household.

Edited by chattius

The other recipes need to wait abit my school schedule is really busy D:

So I can't be online that much D: sometimes on school like now.

So yeah gonna go off now teacher is watching me now behind my back D:

Good day all

• 2 months later...

I am currently eating lunch in hotels during the week and can only eat with my family at weekends.

I had Rouladen today. Thin pieces of beef which have a layer of mustard, onions, bacon, cucumber and some other stuff as liked. Then it is rolled (= Roulade) and put in a pan. It was served with Spaetzle (sort of noodles) and Bohnensalat (salade from green beans)

rolli01.jpg

rolli05.jpg

I had to think about our third daughter when eating. She doesn't like cucumbers so we use to replace the cucumber in her roulades with a Kräuterbratwurst (Bratwurst with a lot of herbs in) and used less bacon.

Strange use of a bratwurst, but maybe she started a new trend.

Edited by chattius

The Kräuterbratwurst filling for a Beef Rollup made me laugh. :)

Kinda like Burger². Gimme MEAT! XD

Edited by czevak