Dungeon Siege 3

Not too great of a start, it seems. Well, once I get my Steam on and rolling, I'll give it a try. Should be sometime after work morrow, if Allmighty Gods of Gaming look favourably on me. >_<

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming down now

11%!

:)

gogo

p.s Dob, just saw your review, eek...I'm hoping I can put up with it, I really need something new. Juha, may the gods shine!

I've been reading the user reviews on the Steam forums, and it does not look good. I'm still wondering if I should try the demo.

Max

Just woke up now, my eyes are a little red and weak from staring at the monitor. I'm not sure how much sleep I got, but I think I was playing a game.

:crazy:

gogo

Just grabbed the demo. Haven't played it yet.

I pre ordered on ps3 b/c my computer is getting a little long in the tooth. Wish they had this on onlive.

Gogs: Looks like the Gods aren't favoring me... At least I got it downloaded and installed, but after that Steam's giving me the cold shoulder... :(

Just trying all hints and tips there are to get connected. If it was only that, this heat's getting on me nerves, yarr!

About +28-32 indoors.

Stormwing, I was also having heaps of problems starting up steam. It seems the servers are overloaded. Just keep trying and eventually you should get in.

Now to this demo and my take on it:

You get the feeling right from the start that this is a game intended for the console rather than the pc.

#The UI is definitely more suited for a gamepad.

#There are designated save points (which are disabled in the demo)

#There is no overhead map, just a small automap.

#The game is very linear. No roaming the countryside with this baby.

#The graphics range from very ordinary to good. There was some slight graphical stuttering that I experienced, but that could just be because this is a demo.The plus is you should get good fps from a medium gaming rig.

#Pathfinding is bad and you can easily get caught behind a fallen tree log. You need to manually walk your toon from behind the log to progress.

#The voice acting for the demo male toon is acceptable but the female is just bad.

#Key commands are not what you expect (F for inventory for example) and you fight with the LMB but have to move with the RMB. In the heat of battle you will be totally confused.

#The default brightness setting is too dark. You should increase the gamma setting to 1.20. At least you can easily do that via the game menu.

#The quest system seems good. You can choose what quest to track and you will get a glowing path to follow to reach it. Very much like Fable 3 has.

#The village in the demo is very lifeless in so much as you cannot enter any houses. I don't know if that is a demo restriction but I suspect not.

#There are no health potions. You renew your health through spheres that randomly drop from enemies or you need to have some sort of health regen ability. In the demo I ended up dying a few times because of this.

#From what I saw there was no enemy respawn. Once an area was cleared that was it. Perhaps that would change in the retail version as you would be allowed to save.

#From the one npc that was able to join my party it seems that you can adjust both their abilities and inventory. BUT it seems you have absolutely no control over them in battle! A very, very, bad design decision.

#The game plays in an isometric view which I actually prefer in rpg games. But the zoom out level is too low.

So from the demo my conclusion is that I will not be buying it yet.

Like dobs I will wait for a bargain price.

The game is not bad, but it is not all that good either.

However if I was a console player (which I am not) I might get it sooner rather than later. ;)

Gogs: Looks like the Gods aren't favoring me...

Keep trying! I have read on different sites now that the demand is pretty big, maybe you had some success today?

Stormwing, I was also having heaps of problems starting up steam. It seems the servers are overloaded. Just keep trying and eventually you should get in.

Now to this demo and my take on it:

You get the feeling right from the start that this is a game intended for the console rather than the pc.

#The UI is definitely more suited for a gamepad.

#There are designated save points (which are disabled in the demo)

#There is no overhead map, just a small automap.

#The game is very linear. No roaming the countryside with this baby.

#The graphics range from very ordinary to good. There was some slight graphical stuttering that I experienced, but that could just be because this is a demo.The plus is you should get good fps from a medium gaming rig.

#Pathfinding is bad and you can easily get caught behind a fallen tree log. You need to manually walk your toon from behind the log to progress.

#The voice acting for the demo male toon is acceptable but the female is just bad.

#Key commands are not what you expect (F for inventory for example) and you fight with the LMB but have to move with the RMB. In the heat of battle you will be totally confused.

#The default brightness setting is too dark. You should increase the gamma setting to 1.20. At least you can easily do that via the game menu.

#The quest system seems good. You can choose what quest to track and you will get a glowing path to follow to reach it. Very much like Fable 3 has.

#The village in the demo is very lifeless in so much as you cannot enter any houses. I don't know if that is a demo restriction but I suspect not.

#There are no health potions. You renew your health through spheres that randomly drop from enemies or you need to have some sort of health regen ability. In the demo I ended up dying a few times because of this.

#From what I saw there was no enemy respawn. Once an area was cleared that was it. Perhaps that would change in the retail version as you would be allowed to save.

#From the one npc that was able to join my party it seems that you can adjust both their abilities and inventory. BUT it seems you have absolutely no control over them in battle! A very, very, bad design decision.

#The game plays in an isometric view which I actually prefer in rpg games. But the zoom out level is too low.

So from the demo my conclusion is that I will not be buying it yet.

Like dobs I will wait for a bargain price.

The game is not bad, but it is not all that good either.

However if I was a console player (which I am not) I might get it sooner rather than later. ;)

Incredible review, Stubbie, I'd forgotten how detailed your writing was. I think we're gonna steal any of yours for the future too :P

Me and Schot both played for more hours last night, we're just trying to understand the item modifiers and mechanics for the builds, we're gonna give it a third go again tonight.

We're both coming from a starved gaming background, only having had Sacred 2 on our plates for the last two years, straight, with nothing on the side, so something like this for us, with all the pros and cons is still pretty delightful, but we just want to decide if it's a game for us and maybe our community that can act as a stop gap till Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2 gets here.

We both get a huge kick out of the CA animations, and for the last two days that's pretty much what's been keeping our eyes glued, but for me, honestly, I'm with you guys on the difficulty of moving with the WASD and right click movement...pretty different from Sacred's, and taking a bit of time to get used to...but I also remember Requiem, took me a week to get into the grind, then insanely hooked.

For a game these days, I'll need beautiful, magical looking Combat Arts, possibility of great depth in build mechanics, and handsome looking loot with some MP capacity.

Here's ta hoping.

gogo

Everything I've read on this game does not sound good.

I have a quick question though :-

When the game comes out, will you have to use Steam to activate the game ?

If so, they can stick it, no matter how good the game is ! Sorry, but I have had to use Steam before to 'activate' a game that I bought from a shop and it was a big pita. Bigest shock was when I looked on my Steam account to see the entire contents of my C drive listed ! I was furious. I only wanted to activate the blasted game, not be messed around like that. :( They completely abuse your trust, imho. They should activate the game as instructed, and that is it. It was so much easier when you just typed in the given code and got to play the game, rather than having to go online, create an account with some one that you did not want to create an account with and then have them search through you entire machine with. It felt like I'd been atacked by some virus or some thing, if you know what I mean ?

Steve.

I'm not a fan of Steam either. We're going to be offering downloads links to Dungeon Siege 3 with DLGamer. They have always worked for us, and this could be a fun little mini-vac. Anyone got any idea on how the MP is panning or supposed to pan out?

:0

gogo

I'm not a fan of Steam either. We're going to be offering downloads links to Dungeon Siege 3 with DLGamer. They have always worked for us, and this could be a fun little mini-vac. Anyone got any idea on how the MP is panning or supposed to pan out?

gogo

I don't know if you remember when Sacred 1 first went onto Steam ? SIF was bombarded with dozens of posts with problems ! Everyone who downloaded S1 seemed to have difficulties of one type or another. Very annoying. Had quite a chat with DaGirl at the time as it was a pita. Not blaming the folk that d/l the game, but Steam themselves as they are the one's who should be offering help............they are the ones making money from downloads after all !

I myself will always buy the game rather than d/l it, at the risk of sounding untrusting. I totally respect that many folk like to d/l games, and that is thier choice, but I am too old fashioned to change my ways ! :tongue:

Steve. :)

Played the demo for console (have it pre-ordered, along with the Duke and Alice the Madness Returns..lol)

This is another game where this will be the first of the series I've played and I liked it for the most part. Keep in mind that I do not have a basis for comparing it to the others in the series. Most definitely linear and I found myself wanting to go off the path and being mildly frustrated that I couldn't just run around where I wanted..lol and the doors in the town didn't open in the console demo either, stubbie and you don't seem to have any interaction with anyone besides the quest givers and some scripted NPCs.

I do wish there was more customization of characters...lol definitely spoiled by Sacred..lol but I did find them kinda interesting. I messed around with the caster/fire/fighting chick using the summoned fire jackal that wasn't too bad. The co-op mechanics weren't too bad though it seemed that you needed to keep within a specific distance from your teammate to be able to move. If you get too far you can't move until your teammate comes closer which I guess is okay since you don't wanna go running willy nilly by yourself and promptly get killed...lol The enemies seemed more numerous and tougher with two players, which is as it should be. But it seemed to take awhile for some I thought should go down quicker...lol, but hey when you are low level you expect this right?

Anyhow, it will be interesting to play nonetheless. I'm still wishing for another game like Sacred, though...lol I'm still enjoying the heck out of it though I suppose I should settle down and play one or two characters consistently instead of experimenting with so many different builds, but it's such fun.....lol I can't stop...lol

Well, finally got to try the demo. I had helluva fight with Steam. Mostly 'cause of one tiny service I had disabled to troubleshoot other problem...

Steam isn't sill in it's prime, but I found the game quite interesting. Would've dwelved deeper, but since the save function isn't avaiable, I didn't spend much time with it.

Will certainly purchace this one, when I have the money and the time. That in work-training has really put a dent on my comp time...

gogo

I don't know if you remember when Sacred 1 first went onto Steam ? SIF was bombarded with dozens of posts with problems ! Everyone who downloaded S1 seemed to have difficulties of one type or another. Very annoying. Had quite a chat with DaGirl at the time as it was a pita. Not blaming the folk that d/l the game, but Steam themselves as they are the one's who should be offering help............they are the ones making money from downloads after all !

I myself will always buy the game rather than d/l it, at the risk of sounding untrusting. I totally respect that many folk like to d/l games, and that is thier choice, but I am too old fashioned to change my ways ! :tongue:

Steve. :)

Yeah, I remember the disaster. Official forum besieged by tons of angry posters from Steam looking for support. Yeah, it's kinda scared me off for them a bit I think, unless the game is very very big, and has guaranteed publishers and isn't sketchy ^^

Played the demo for console (have it pre-ordered, along with the Duke and Alice the Madness Returns..lol)

Yee haw !

I do wish there was more customization of characters...lol definitely spoiled by Sacred..lol

Hear you on the customization, but in a way, that may be a nice respite from the massive customization that Sacred 2 allows.

Well, finally got to try the demo. I had helluva fight with Steam. Mostly 'cause of one tiny service I had disabled to troubleshoot other problem...

Steam isn't sill in it's prime, but I found the game quite interesting. Would've dwelved deeper, but since the save function isn't avaiable, I didn't spend much time with it.

Will certainly purchace this one, when I have the money and the time. That in work-training has really put a dent on my comp time...

heh, glad you came out with the rasslin :P Yeah, the lack of save function stopped me from being able to get any deeper with the builds, but there seems to be a lot of options, at least for abilties etc. I guess this means that for the Fire Girl, only spear is available then?

gogo

Tried DS III demo. . .and DANG IT! Square Enix royally screws up another series that doesn't have the words 'final', 'fantasy', 'dragon', or 'quest' in the title. Did pre-order but got my money back.

What morons don't put keyboard customization in a PC game?

One thing I did like is the ability to switch 'forms' with the female character and not have it on a time limit like with the Druid in Diablo 2 or Vampiress in Sacred 1.

One thing I did like is the ability to switch 'forms' with the female character and not have it on a time limit like with the Druid in Diablo 2 or Vampiress in Sacred 1.

You're right. I don't like "timed" transitions either. Balancing it so that both sides could be permanent was a nice touch.

gogo

Even though I posted a rather negative review on the DS3 demo I still kept an eye on what reviewers (including YouTube reviews) and the gaming community were saying about the game.

I ended up getting the full game for the pc because some of those reviews were positive so long as you can accept that the game is designed for a console and it doesnt resemble the previous two games in the series.

As I wasnt a great fan of the first two I thought I would give it a go. Expecially as I had just recently bought the Witcher 2 and it runs like a dog on my 3yr old pc so I needed a new game. :blush2:

My feelings on DS3 are now much more favorable. Note however even though I am playing the pc version I went and bought a XBox 360 gamepad for the pc to play the game. The pc default keys (not changable) are horrid imho. This game plays so much better with a gamepad.

Some points after progressing in the game and after 5 hours of playing with one character:

# The lack of health and mana (focus) potions is not the problem that I thought at first. Health and focus orbs are dropped often by slain enemies and also in destroyable crates and boxes. You can also tweak your abilities to gain health and focus when killing enemies. I actually now like the absence of potions as it makes battles just that bit more strategic.

# Camera control is awkward with a mouse and keyboard. The camera control with a gamepad is great. It soon becomes very natural to use.

# The inability to directly control your companions is not a problem. The AI is excellent in controlling them. In fact your companion will be the one thing that will save you from losing a tough battle against a boss.

# You can only save at designated save points but they are very, very numerous. So far also there has been a save point before every major battle. I normally hate with a passion designated save points but it really is not an issue in this game.

# The skill system is a lot more involved than it first appears. I have easily spent 10 minutes on a level up weighing up the pro and cons of what ability to take. Very satisfying.

# There is a heck of a lot of great loot to pick up in the game. In the time I have been playing I have not needed or even felt the need to purchase any items from a merchant.

# The quest system is excellent. You will never get lost. I would have loved to have seen an area map but it is not a necessity. The automap and "breadcrumb trail" makes questing very easy.

# I suggest when you first play this game you play the ranged female toon. This has been the easiest character to play so far for me. Strangely the normal newb warrior melee character seems very weak and I found the playstyle boring. The ranged character is far more enjoyable to play, but that is a personal preference I guess.

# The enemy AI and difficulty are quite good. The game can be very hard in the very early stages until you get a companion. But at no time did I think that a battle was impossible. I died a couple of times but when I tried a different tactic the next time I was able to beat the enemies.

# There is quite a lot of spoken dialogue in the game. It ranges from good to embarrassing, but most of the time it is acceptable. Unfortunately this is no Dragon Age or Mass Effect in that department. ;)

# Unfortunately the game doesn't support a standard pc 1680x1050 resolution properly. While you can choose this setting in the game menu it will display at a 16:9 ratio (rather than 16:10), another reminder that this is primarily a console game. You have black bars across the top and bottom of your screen.

This can be somewhat corrected by a simple hack in the user.ini file so as to display the game in the whole of your screen. However doing this causes the onscreen display of the character icon/ability icons and automap to sit towards the centre of the screen more than it should. It doesn't affect gameplay at all, but it is a slight annoyance. I suspect a future patch would correct it.

# My system info for reference:

Windows7 64bit

Intel duo E8500 3.12Ghz cpu

ATI HD4870 512meg video

4gig RAM

X-Fi audio

and with all settings maxed I get on average 40-50fps. :cool:

So now my feelings are that this is actually a good game. :thumpsup:

Don't expect a continuation of the Dragon Siege franchise and realise that it plays like a console game.

If you can do that (and get a gamepad for your pc) you might just be in a pleasant surprise like me. :)

Ah ha Stubbie, what a great writeup... lol again! I was hoping that the game would turn out better. In fact, I've been doing a lot of reads across the net, and there have been some great feedback on the game after it came out and more folks had a chance to really sink in. I'm glad you found the mechanics so satisfying. Yeah, I love those agonizing decisions, and was hoping this was going to be good filler.

Me and Schot have already ordered two copies, have you tried MP yet?

gogo

Me and Schot have already ordered two copies, have you tried MP yet?

gogo

No not yet. I will finish the single player campaign first and then I will try multiplayer.

From what I have seen this might be a good game to play on a LAN with a mate, but I don't think the online side will be much fun, due to the restrictive nature of the co-op online play.

Perhaps a patch will change that.

due to the restrictive nature of the co-op online play.

How restrictive are they? (grrrr, our localized version of game is unable to be played till 21st ... :viking;) And are servers being provided by the company?

gogo

I tried the demo multiple times, but the download file itself is corrupted and Steam looks to be in no hurry to fix the problem. If that's their idea of customer service, I'd rather wait for Diablo 3 and not spend my money to get little or no support.

I tried the demo multiple times, but the download file itself is corrupted and Steam looks to be in no hurry to fix the problem. If that's their idea of customer service, I'd rather wait for Diablo 3 and not spend my money to get little or no support.

Yeah, but with more and more games companies going to Steam for activation rights, lets hope that Blizzard don't opt for that route.

Won't touch this one until there is keyboard+mouse customization or the ability to use other controllers besides the X-Box 360.

DaveO - I re-downloaded the demo earlier to try and find a workaround the gamepad issue. There was no corrupted files.

Got my copy yesterday and played co-op for several hours (console version) and I must say I am enjoying it so far. My husband is playing Lucas and I'm playing Anjali. Stubbie, I hear ya about the agony over skill choice...lol Took us more like 15 minutes each..lol

I do enjoy the ease of transition from Anjali's fire form to her melee spear/staff form. Fireballs are great, fire jackal is helpful and in a crowd her Spinning Kick works wonders. I've seen numerous enemies launched into the air after Lucas's Blade Dash then Anjali running in with her kick...lol

I do wish they had worked in the keyboard customization for PC players though. I like everyone to be able to be able to play in the way they like best. :D