Pictures for a kungfu dryad guide

chattius

I think that screen shots don't look stylish enough for a guide. So my daughters and me tried to play a bit around with GIMP. We tried to turn the screenshot into something which looks like a cartoon.

kungfu3.jpg

kungfu4.jpg

But we were somehow overwhelmed by all the stuff GIMP can do, and so we spend/lost a lot of time my trying all the different filters. Finally we got something which was close to what we aimed for.

The above is 3 or 4 times Gimp's cartoon filter applied in series.

I spend 3 hours to write an edge detector routine and explain it to my older daughters and then applied and added negative plane, shifted positive plane and plane with just edges and calculated all in one image.... Just to recognize hours later that I can get a similiar effect by this d*mn cartoon filter build into gimp. But I think my own routines weren't too bad, and it were at least some basic lessons for my daughters how bitmaps can be manipulated, what are the very simple maths behind and which would be equivalent at good old analog 24*36 analog photos.

Below my own stuff:

kungfu3.jpg

How do you convert screenshots or photo's into something like a cartoon? Which programs are you using?

Edited by chattius

Ah ha! Thought I recognized that High Kicking Beauty!

Kung Fu Dryad - animated spin kick on head

It's a cool project, chattius. I wish I was better talented at drawing! :) Schot's been super busy a work last few weeks, but I'll see if an arm can be twisted to see if he can come over with some ideas.

:)

gogo

• 2 years later...

Screenshots, anyone used this hidden console command to do do screenshots 4 or 16 times the screen size? I can do only 4times without crashing, probably too old graphic card.

http://clubs.4gamers.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=248

^ to open console and then ss 4

Edit: 5 Screenshots with different light conditions and trying to do HDR images, wonder if that is possible....

You can use something like Animation Shop - which is part of the Paint Shop Pro suite. You can drop individual pictures into frames and then create an animated GIF file. You can also convert some movie formats into an animated GIF as well.

It's not a free app though.