Keen Games making S3?

Llama8

Pyx just posted a small snippet for us on the SIF.

So that just leaves us with the question of Holy Hannah! are Keen Games?

Having had a look at the other job's they've got, they're hiring Lead Programmers for the consoles, Server Programmer, Build Engineer, QA Engineer, Gameplay Programmer, Network Engineer, Tool Programmer & an Audio Engineer, all for S3. That's an aweful lot of positions...

I remember noticing that snippet of info whilst perusing the german forums when FDM went down, however, they were only hiring for some secret title then.

As to who they are...well, you look at their list of game and nothing notable stands out. But, it looks like they are trying to expand, thats a hell of a lot of new positions...two of which for quality assurance...a QA manager and a QA engineer...I hope they do their job well...I hope this isnt a small developer reaching too far above themselves.

PS...love cider steves title idea on the sif:

Aha, so that's the new title for the sequel.

Sacred 3, The Kama Sutra !

That's gonna be one hell of an ARPG.

Having had a look at the other job's they've got, they're hiring Lead Programmers for the consoles, Server Programmer, Build Engineer, QA Engineer, Gameplay Programmer, Network Engineer, Tool Programmer & an Audio Engineer, all for S3. That's an aweful lot of positions...

Cannot say for certain if they are going to be crafting S3. But it is very obvious they are booting up for a very B-I-G job.

Like DB said earlier, if they are tackeling our beloved Sacred. They had better do a very solid job!

If they do not provide an excellent game. They most likely will go bankrupt also. A game of this magnitude would cost Millions to create. Nevermind the countless Millions it would cost to market the game properly.

Sacred is not by any stretch of the imagination, a household name, like WoW has become with Blizzard. Therefore, the marketing alone would be a massive undertaking. Costing an obsene amount of $$,$$$,$$$.00.

I remain, :)

Cannot say for certain if they are going to be crafting S3. But it is very obvious they are booting up for a very B-I-G job.

Like DB said earlier, if they are tackeling our beloved Sacred. They had better do a very solid job!

If they do not provide an excellent game. They most likely will go bankrupt also. A game of this magnitude would cost Millions to create. Nevermind the countless Millions it would cost to market the game properly.

Sacred is not by any stretch of the imagination, a household name, like WoW has become with Blizzard. Therefore, the marketing alone would be a massive undertaking. Costing an obsene amount of $$,$$$,$$$.00.

I think you're over complicating things etherian. For one, they are making sacred 3, the job page has a brief bit of info about the roles they are offering and they are mostly all for S3.

Currently we are looking for our upcoming title Sacred 3 on PS3, Xbox360 and PC for a Platform Lead Programmer PC.

As to the bankruptcy/marketing...I would say Deep Silver would be the one covering all of the monetary aspects of this (like marketing). Also, in regards to marketing, the amount of non-german marketing for Sacred 2 was rather small, definitely not countless millions worth spent on it, nowhere near that and I think it will be like that again...the most detailed english info in the end seemed to be reviews after it was released although there were a few exceptions. As to how much to make it...no idea, but I wouldnt think it would be insanely expensive...not near the amount you are suggesting. I think that Deep Silver has enough projects going on and enough experience to work out whether or not they feel that making a S3 will be profitable enough to be worthwhile.

PS...It looks like Keen Games has a facebook page....maybe if we pester them enough we can get info now and again.

Edited by Dragon Brother

Lol, DB, I'm on it! :D Llama, this is great news, I've never heard of the company before, but I almost kinda want to see what a fresh take towards this game can do. I hope that some of the devs from franchise proper make their way to the team, we've have a great mix of both.

Llama, so Pyx just posted this? Is there an absolute confirm anywhere in wording though that this team being sought is indeed the one going to be used for Sacred 3?

Exciting news here eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Great one to start a Saturday off with.

:)

gogo

Llama, so Pyx just posted this? Is there an absolute confirm anywhere in wording though that this team being sought is indeed the one going to be used for Sacred 3?

If you have a look at the job page gogo, click on the different positions they are after. Some of them are for a star trek game, the majority for Sacred 3.

They need more people to work on S3 than they do on a Star Trek game? Strange.

Anyway, I wish them all luck and look forward to the next installment of S3 (with less rats this time).

The star trek game is a browser based one...so Id say it would make sense for it to require less people to work on it. Anyway, the more people working on making sacred 3 awesome the better :)

Lol, DB, I'm on it! :) Llama, this is great news, I've never heard of the company before, but I almost kinda want to see what a fresh take towards this game can do.

Well, Devil May Cry series already got a "fresh take" and I can't say that fans are really happy about it :cry:

But still.. if S3 gonna have normal firearms available to characters, that would be great :)

Just looked at their page. They were formerly known as Neon Studios. They are in Sachsenhausen, a urban quarter of Frankfurt. It is called "das Apfelweinviertel von Frankfurt" - "The apple wine quarter of Frankfurt". So the programmers they will hire need a strong stomach, thats for sure: Apple wine and Handkäse (sour cream cheese) mit Musik (roasted onions).

Was the Anno series (1404, 1503, 1602 and 1701) known outside europe/germany ? Wiki claims Anno1404 was named Dawn of Discovery on the american market. I think they converted them for consoles.

An article about the star trek browser game (only new english article which I could find quickly)

Keen Games doing Startrek- Infinite Space

Edited by chattius
Was the Anno series (1404, 1503, 1602 and 1701) known outside europe/germany ? Wiki claims Anno1404 was named Dawn of Discovery on the american market. I think they converted them for consoles.

Yes, they were released under the Anno brand a while ago. I'm surprised that link mentioned Ikariam over Ogame...

Sweet!

That was confirmation I can write in.

I'll add it to the Sacred 3 page tonight

gogo

Hi folks,

well, the confirmation based on that what you can read on the keen website. Neither do I nor do Deepsilver confirm that in an offical way. I'm not Kochmedia or Deepsilver. You may ask Keen directly to verfiy that it's really true that they will develop sacred3.

:viking:

Yours

Pyx

Well...they wont name the game in anything they say except for what I pointed out earlier...I was bored and looking around on their site and saw this...not that it tells us anything new...:

Currently we are working on games of two major IPs: the AAA browser game “Star Trek – Infinite Space” (Publisher Gameforge), which is based on one of the most successful international IPs and a sequel of one of Germanys most acclaimed Action RPGs for PS3, X360 and PC.

They've probably not updated that page, it's on the "about us" page & I doubt that's likely to be frequently updated, whereas the jobs page would be. Though it would be nice to have an official statement from DS about it.

• 2 weeks later...

As to the monetary issue, as much as I love my PS3 version of Sacred 2 I would rather they concentrate on a PC only version. Deep down in my heart, I feel that the console versions of the game weighed in as a big issue regarding the bankruptcy of Ascaron, even though I can't state that as a fact and highly doubt that one of the team would admit to it openly.

I love what Clap Handz did with Hot Shots golf when it got handed over to them from Camelot when Nintendo purchased them, and hope that's the direction Sacred takes whomever gets to develop it. I won't hold my breath, though. ;)

• 2 months later...

Well...I realise this is no real news, but it looks like Keen Games have filled at least one of the positions they were offering for S3:

Tobi the ghost in the iGame3D machine, who kicked off his game dev career as a sixteen year old boy posting here saying "Hey guys, check out my engine" graduated college in August and grabbed himself a job at Keen Games in November, he'll be making the level design tools for Sacred 3.

Reference

Edited by Dragon Brother

DB, this is awesome news! lol, I've fallen so far behind on updating the SAcred 3.org page... this definitely has to make it's way there. Thanks for this update, very exciting, and just the kind of info we needed to keep the fans on edge and expectant!

gogo

DB, this is awesome news! lol, I've fallen so far behind on updating the SAcred 3.org page... this definitely has to make it's way there. Thanks for this update, very exciting, and just the kind of info we needed to keep the fans on edge and expectant!

I wouldn't worry Gogo, not much has been announced. And by not much, I mean nothing...

I wouldn't worry Gogo, not much has been announced. And by not much, I mean nothing...

Unfortunately true...having said that it's still early-ish days.