Keen Games making S3?

Llama8

Rectify, I don't think Sacred 2 on the xbox360 and PS3 bankrupt Ascaron. With the PC lossing the sales battle with the consoles, the error was releasing the game on the PC first. The sale of consoles hardware and games is growing as the PC market shrinks. Consoles are cheaper, simple and are easy to hook into large screens. The growing market for games is the consoles.

Rectify, I don't think Sacred 2 on the xbox360 and PS3 bankrupt Ascaron. With the PC lossing the sales battle with the consoles, the error was releasing the game on the PC first. The sale of consoles hardware and games is growing as the PC market shrinks. Consoles are cheaper, simple and are easy to hook into large screens. The growing market for games is the consoles.

That may be popular conception, but have a read of this article and note that it only accounts for steams profits:

Steam Rakes In Almost $1 Billion in 2010

I don't think that the PC vs console war is the (main) reason ascaron went bankrupt. There would be a mix of many things that contributed to it, of which that may have been one.

Edited by Dragon Brother

That may be popular conception, but have a read of this article and note that it only accounts for steams profits:

Steam Rakes In Almost $1 Billion in 2010

I don't think that the PC vs console war is the (main) reason ascaron went bankrupt. There would be a mix of many things that contributed to it, of which that may have been one.

Indeed. The console thing may be popular, but there are a number of us who refuse to go there. There's just too much versatility in the PC's favor.

And Steam is doing rather well - they're definitely getting a large chunk of a 8+ BILLION dollar per year business.

I think, if anything, Ascaron's ultimate failure had to do with the usual kind of thing - mismanagment, lavish spending on stuff that wasn't maybe essential, etc... You kinda have to wonder just how much they shelled out for say - Blind Guardian's appearance in the game. Even if BG were the biggest fans of Ascaron, Sacred 1 and such, I doubt they did it for free. Don't get me wrong - Blind Guardian does make the game rock hard - and it wouldn't quite be Sacred 2 without them, the theme song, etc..., but if you're funds are low, you need to spend very wisely.

I think they also forgot to spend much in the way of promotion... As successful as the Sacred series is, it could have been more successful.

Sacred was not the final reason for the bankruptcy, right. Older games from ascaron cost a lot money and the games wasn't a top seller.

2 example:

Darkstar One (2006): Cost 2 Mio. €, profit: 1,9 Mio €, a difference from -100.000 €

Tortuga - Two Treasures (2006): Cost 2 Mio. €, 0,2 Mio. €, a difference from -1,8 Mio €

You see, the mistake in the past have ascaron died, but we can talk and talk, the past will never to be change.

It's better to look in the future, that says anca (btw: I miss you).

I think they also forgot to spend much in the way of promotion... As successful as the Sacred series is, it could have been more successful.

That would be the publisher's responsibility rather than Ascaron's.

cant wait for sacred 3!

oooh, I just saw that image somewhere on the net when I was trying to look up cool angel wings for potential recipients for Sacred 3.

I think those metallo/techno wings with their almost infinite sweep are the best I've seen.

Do you have a link to where the image is in it's full size?

:)

gogo

If they make Sacred 3 on the NGP/PSP2, and it has the same feel and expanse of Sacred 2, consider it my GOTY whenever it comes out.

Given that many people complained about Sacred 2's tiny text size, I'd imagine that it would be infinitely worse on a PSP/etc.