Dual Wield and Sword Mastery - Do they stack?

Onidurum

AFAIK, that's not correct. When using two weapons/Swords, only Dual Wield counts. Only reason to take both would be the modifiers unlocked by Sword lore/Mastery.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. :)

No idea about the criticals, but I think the Wiki said damage etc doesn't.

I'm more of a caster/ranged, but I hope I helped

Alex

AFAIK, that's not correct. When using two weapons/Swords, only Dual Wield counts. Only reason to take both would be the modifiers unlocked by Sword lore/Mastery.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Yeah I think that's what I read

You know, I sorta don't really know...As far as I know, I think none of the Stats stack...But, the 1 cool thing about having Sword Weapons Mastery and Dual Wield is that the weapon modifiers you unlock with Sword Weapons Mastery and the fact that you can Dual Wield weapons like that with beastly stats makes it all the better because I know for a fact the Sword Weapons Modifiers do stack!

Edited by Skylar Cb

I've been looking for the post but I believe I read here on the site that the mastery (chance to land a double hit) for each of these skills stack even though they don't support each other in any other way besides this.

I believe the above is correct. I have an Inquisitor that DW's, and when you look at weapon level without penalty etc on DW its the same as that on sword weapons, however DW will not help out in stacking effects with SW or even hafted. So if your looking to get the biggest benefit from this you will need both DW and sword weapons and if you plan on going for axes and maces (some of which are quite nice) you could even take hafted weapons.

You then need to ask yourself can you afford to commit 3 skill slots to offensive skills alone, 4 if you want tactics lore.

this just my thoughts

I'm running a level 42 inquisitor with dual wield hafted weapons. I notice that he does "additional damage 24" with each hit and he hits a lot! Also, the individual weapon damage ratings are 125 and 140 but the inventory screen shows weapon damage of 324 so the modifiers may be stacking.

rnarchlord: AFAIK, that additional damage is the lifeleech, you're getting. Also, I think then inv is showing the combined damage of both weapons. (Correct if wrong!)

I'm using this sort of combo with my "Sales shopper"- seraphim. Have to admit, it hasn't been really useful taking both. Mebbe if I'd use some %-leech 2-hander for bosses or such, it could be of more use.

rnarchlord: AFAIK, that additional damage is the lifeleech, you're getting. Also, I think then inv is showing the combined damage of both weapons. (Correct if wrong!)

I'm using this sort of combo with my "Sales shopper"- seraphim. Have to admit, it hasn't been really useful taking both. Mebbe if I'd use some %-leech 2-hander for bosses or such, it could be of more use.

Well I'm not sure how the inventory screen determines weapon damage but 125 and 140 equals 265 not the 324 on the screen. I'll let the number crunchers here cue me in on the way it adds up. I think strength also adds to the damage but I may be wrong.

You don't have to go for mastery but just one point in the weapon lore you are using will unlock the modifiers on those weapons and there are some pretty good modifiers on unique and legendary weapons, e.g. Boneslicer, Metamar's. Since I dual wield two hafted weapons, one socketed for fire and one socketed for ice, I don't have to switch weapons if a mob has slight resistance to one or the other and I can mix pieces (armor, jewelry) that have high fire or ice damage attributes. Right now my Inquisitor is one of many toons that I am rotating through so he still has all of Atamark to go. I know the dark crusade guys have fair amount of armor against fire so I'll see if I have to modify his combo against them.

Weapon lore bonuses do not stack.

The double hit is a possibility, but with certain character mods, and 1 weapon lore, this is more than sufficient.

I.e. Shadow warrior; 2 double hit mods on frenzied rampage + weapon lore = almost always double hit at higher levels.

Regardless, it would be interesting to know for sure.

Taking a weapon lore and leaving it at something like level 1 just for 'weapon' unlocks is insufficient.

The modifiers unlocked scale with skill level, and thus become insignificant without investment.

Dual Wield over rides any and all other weapon lore bonuses once two weapons are equipped.

This would make having I.e. hafted weapons with dual have almost zero impact to the character. Better to take a skill like damage lore, speed lore, a defensive skill, even divine devotion will give more 'bang for the buck' than having a second weapon lore with dual...

Most of the 'best' items in the game have no unlocked modifiers, save rare quality weapons with LL% (which are actually the 'best' weapons in the game, legendaries/uniques need not apply, save the few that have it like Kal'dur). However in the case of LL%, it really doesn't matter what the stats on said weapons are, aside LL%. Remember; LL% only appears on 2h weapons, and 1 unique 1h axe (kal'dur). There is also Tom felde, but this weapon is unlocked with a code, and should not be counted.

The only reasons to have a 'lore';

1. Using a high level version to avoid -speed penalty (can be offset with some character Combat Arts to avoid needing even 1 weapon lore).

2. Gaining speed for faster attack without socketing speed items.

With the fixing of LL%, it made most weapon choices irrelevant unfortunately. There is simply nothing that compares with this mod. Before, taking two weapon lores (and investing in both) might have been somewhat useful. I used to like my dual wielders... but hoping for 2 of the 1 single 1h LL% weapon is far fetched.

EDIT* this info only applies to the PC version with the expansion.

Cheers,

Edited by r00ster

The double hit is a possibility, but with certain character mods, and 1 weapon lore, this is more than sufficient.

I.e. Shadow warrior; 2 double hit mods on frenzied rampage + weapon lore = almost always double hit at higher levels.

Cheers,

I guess the extra damage my dual wield hafted weapons Inquisitor is doing comes from Memetar's Protector damage:physical 12.8% and Hammer of the North damage:ice 12.1% unlocked by having hafted weapons lore? But isn't that stacking modifiers? He doesn't have any double hit mods.

Cheers,

I guess the extra damage my dual wield hafted weapons Inquisitor is doing comes from Memetar's Protector damage:physical 12.8% and Hammer of the North damage:ice 12.1% unlocked by having hafted weapons lore? But isn't that stacking modifiers? He doesn't have any double hit mods.

your Inquisitor does he use ruthless mutilation CA if so did you mod the gold slot to frenzy if so this will add a chance for double hits not the weapons themselves.

just a thought

The only reason I would take 2 weapon lores now is to use fist weapons. Since they use sword lore to open 1 bonus (normally) and using 1 as opposed to 2 just seems pointless, I can see a use for sword lore/Dual Wield but I would need a lot more fist weapons 1st before I went this spec, as they are fairly rare (they only exist in CM patch).

Generally, 1 lore is enough

Cheers,

your Inquisitor does he use ruthless mutilation CA if so did you mod the gold slot to frenzy if so this will add a chance for double hits not the weapons themselves.

just a thought

Haven't gotten any other CAs in Gruesome Inquisition modded except Frenetic Fervor and Purifying Chastisement. Because of regen time use FF only occasionally.

I had to share, if I get another set of fists like the ones below I will have to play a character that has high dexterity. Even though they use Dex, I used them on the Guardians and they went down fast.

thebeastcr.jpg

Life Leech % on a 1 hander.. Yes please :)

Edited by colif
I have dual wield and swords lore on my seraphim, but I guess it's only worth maxing one of these now.

Steve. :)

Except for modifiers particular to a class of weapons, sword, hafted, etc. dual wield duplicates and replaces most of the attributes of the weapon and allows for higher weapon levels. I would just max dual wield as you've already unlocked the modifiers on swords with sword lore and there is no particular advantage to maxing both.

The number of swords that require sword mastery isn't worth the effort. True, it makes Boneslicer pretty useless in later difficulties but I have found its pretty useless compared to other unique swords that I only ever use it in Silver anyway. The only other unique is Quetzals and its not that great anyway. Sword lore mostly improves 1 stat per weapon, so though DW replaces most of its purpose, you still gain something from having both.

Since you have both lores Steve, I would get both to 75 anyway. There is just not as much rush to get sword lore as DW, in your case.