Whats your favorite movies?

The Thing

Original black and or white or Carpenter's remake?

My favourite is the 1982 remake by John Carpenter. Love his work.

Especially if you add Kurt Russel.

The alien in this film is terrifying. Very unearthly and scary.

It takes the form of every living thing it touches or kills.

But when it's true identity is revealed, it turn into a twisted hulking biological mass, just doing whatever it can to survive.

There are some truly groundbreaking visual effects here, so if you like horror, this movie is definately a must see.

It also proves that a soundtrack does not have to be very monumental and symphonic to set the mood.

A few bass-lines is very effective here, and believe me, it DOES set the mood!

The movie from 1951 is also brilliant.

Some very good visuals here.

The monster, however, has a more human-like form, making it a little less terrifying in my opinion.

It focuses mainly on the planning and dialoges between the characters in the film, thus creating a suspensful atmosphere throughout the movie.

I highly recommend this movie also.

• 1 year later...

My all time favourite movie is The Shawshank Redemption, starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

I also love animation movies especially the teenage generation of Walt Disney Movies, like Alladin, The Lion King, Little Mermaid, etc, and for a very silly reason, the songs! I love those songs, and know most of them and can sing along well!

Other movies, in no particular order:

10 things I hate about you

The Bourne Trilogy

The Lord Of the Rings

No Reservations

Stormbreaker

She's all that

The league of extraordinary Gentleman

Kick Ass!

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

Being a single parent I watched a steady diet of Disney movies in recent years. Just last month I decided to get Netflix and catch up on a lot of good movies I haven't been able to watch yet. I have to say Boondock Saints is my newest favorite movie of all time. (being about Boston didn't hurt either). Boondocks 2 was also very good but not near as good as the original. Can't wait for the third installment due out soon.

My all time favourite movie is The Shawshank Redemption, starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

I have heard so much about this movie, I have had one option after another to keep watching it, but I keep glossing over it... maybe tonight's the night^^

Did you know Stephen King wrote the short story that movie is based upon?

Being a single parent I watched a steady diet of Disney movies in recent years. Just last month I decided to get Netflix and catch up on a lot of good movies I haven't been able to watch yet. I have to say Boondock Saints is my newest favorite movie of all time. (being about Boston didn't hurt either). Boondocks 2 was also very good but not near as good as the original. Can't wait for the third installment due out soon.

I laughed o'er the first one as well, some good surprises.

:)

gogo

Die Feuerzangenbowle (germany 1944)

Timeless, cult. I think more than half of germans know nearly every phrase of the movie. I remember great movie parties when I was at university and now our second daughter performed it as musical at school at school-years-end.

At an evening while drinking 'Feuerzangenbowle' some friends are talking about all the fun they had at school. One of the friends, a famous writer, can't add anything, he never visited a school but was educated by a private paid teacher. So he decides to disguise as a student and visits a highschool...

quote from Wikepedia:

Cult film status

Since the 1980s, the movie has gained cult film status at many German universities. During party-like showings in university auditoriums in early December, students bring props to participate in the movie’s action similar to audience participation in showings of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. For example, the audience will ring alarm-clocks whenever an alarm-clock rings in the movie and use flashlights when Hans Pfeiffer uses a pocket mirror to pinpoint the location of the Goths on a map behind the teacher in order to help a fellow student in history class. In 2006, more than 10,000 students participated in this tradition in Göttingen alone.

• 9 months later...

This isn't necessarily my favorite movie, but since I didn't see a "What Are You Currently Watching" thread, I thought I'd just post it here:

The Exam (2009)

Very thought provoking, and it didn't need a huge budget or big fancy special effects to make me like it.

(Btw, if you've never seen it before, don't watch any trailers for it, as it could possibly spoil the movie for you)

This isn't necessarily my favorite movie, but since I didn't see a "What Are You Currently Watching" thread, I thought I'd just post it here:

The Exam (2009)

Very thought provoking, and it didn't need a huge budget or big fancy special effects to make me like it.

(Btw, if you've never seen it before, don't watch any trailers for it, as it could possibly spoil the movie for you)

Alright, fine you did it , you grabbed my interest...and now I don't want too spoil the surprise...can you give me a eeeny bittey tiney bit a info about what it's about at least?

gogo

The Exam (2009)

Alright, fine you did it , you grabbed my interest...and now I don't want too spoil the surprise...can you give me a eeeny bittey tiney bit a info about what it's about at least?

gogo

Here you go:

Eight talented candidates have reached the final stage of selection to join the ranks of a mysterious and powerful corporation. Entering a windowless room, an Invigilator gives them eighty minutes to answer one simple question. He outlines three rules they must obey or be disqualified: don't talk to him or the armed guard by the door, don't spoil their papers and don't leave the room. He starts the clock and leaves. The candidates turn over their question papers, only to find...

Enjoy!

• 9 months later...

have to add a few movies to my list...

The Hobbit: an unexpected journey (can't wait for the rest to come out)

I spit on your grave. I just love the way she got her revenge on each and every one, and made them suffer to the extreme!

Austin Powers - all 3. love the humour and Mike Myers.

Hairspray :whistle:

Mary Poppins

THe sound of music

The avengers... uhm for more than one reason... :blush:

Burlesque. Christina Aguilera is my favourite recording artist.

and then the Glee Series, :dance: love all the songs and singing in there!

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

The Robber

On TV yesterday, didn't exspect much, but actually a very good movie. Based on a real story. A marathon runner (holding some records for mountain marathons) is robbing banks and flees running. He finds adrenaln kicks by escaping running and not using a car. 450 police officers are hunting him for murder... Austria's biggest crime hunt ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Robber

• Like! 1

have to add a few movies to my list...

The Hobbit: an unexpected journey (can't wait for the rest to come out)

This movie took me off guard, surprised me, heavily looking forward to the next one in the series!

I spit on your grave. I just love the way she got her revenge on each and every one, and made them suffer to the extreme!

I remember when the original came out, Robers and Ebert were thoroughly disgusted! ^^

Austin Powers - all 3. love the humour and Mike Myers.

I'll never get tired of myers in the series, return of the fembots!

Hairspray :whistle:

Mary Poppins

Lovely music, touching scenes, hello chim chimney

THe sound of music

lol funny, I was just watching this a while back, still relevant, imo

The avengers... uhm for more than one reason... :blush:

hahah, you planning on running off with Iron Man? :devil:

Burlesque. Christina Aguilera is my favourite recording artist.

and then the Glee Series, :dance: love all the songs and singing in there!

I was so hooked on the series, first two years, friend pointed it out to me, but ...dunno, for me a series has kind of become a two year thing? Even BattleStar Galactica, my FAVORITE series ever was amazing for that time, then I became kind of estranged unless there were sick action episodes...they brought it all in for last season and I love them for that.

Delta!

• Like! 1

The Robber

On TV yesterday, didn't exspect much, but actually a very good movie. Based on a real story. A marathon runner (holding some records for mountain marathons) is robbing banks and flees running. He finds adrenaln kicks by escaping running and not using a car. 450 police officers are hunting him for murder... Austria's biggest crime hunt ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Robber

I know a few movies were covering the angle of super human trained athletes in crimes.. french parcour, and now this?

gogo

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

You have to watch this scene a number of times to appreciate the artistry, technical prowess and love that went in.

Apparently this one scene took longer to film than the entire rest of the movie combined. :o

• Like! 1

You have to watch this scene a number of times to appreciate the artistry, technical prowess and love that went in.

Apparently this one scene took longer to film than the entire rest of the movie combined. :o

I believe it... wont even begin go imagine how much time it to for the computers to calculate everything...there's so many parts working at different times... he does spurts of super extra fast speed to get ahead of the fire...love how he attenuates his own speed to his own effect.. most often mischief

:D

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 2 years later...

I´d like to introduce you to some nice movies, that never made it to the
top, but are very good in my opinion:

Tropa de Elite:
The movie plunges you into the violent streets of Rio de Janeiro, where an
elite unit of the Brazilian Police desperately tries to restore order. Not
in the nicest way. The commanding officer faces a big dilemma and that´s where
the bloody and ruthless journey begins.
I personally adore the movie alot. All actors did a splendid job, you really
get sucked in quickly. There´s a free version on Youtube because the makers
made a mistake and didn´t reserve the rights of the movie. There´s also a second
part, which should cover the current situation of Brazil. I recommend both
movies.

Outrage & Outrage beyond
A Yakuza group is caught in a web of lies and intrigues, drifting slowly toward
their own destruction. In the second part of the movie it´s time for vengeance
and the last survivor returns to take names.
Very good movies, but due to the intrigues on various layers it´s a bit difficult
to keep track. Absolutely recommended.

Nid des guêpes
A police elite unit is ordered to transfer a high ranking prisoner, but is ambushed
on the way to court by military equipped partisans. Outnumbered and outgunned, they
make it to a warehouse, preparing for the final confrontation.
You might know the concept, in theory it´s a remake of "Assault on Precinct 13",
but far better. Excellent movie from France with extreme tension! Don´t watch if
you got a heart issue!

PS:
All movies are quite violent. Tropa de Elite is brutal and heartless, leaves you
shocked, but is easily topped by Nid des guêpes. No explicite violence is shown
like in a zombie movie, with lots of gore and blood, instead you hear bullets
whistle and see the bullet impacts on wests and unprotected bodies. It´s a
nightmare!
In comparsion, Outrage & Outrage beyond are violent, yes, but not too much.
I suggest to watch the movies with your buddies, but make sure that kittens are
not at home for a while.

Edited by Dax
3 hours ago, Dax said:

I´d like to introduce you to some nice movies, that never made it to the
top, but are very good in my opinion:

Tropa de Elite:
The movie plunges you into the violent streets of Rio de Janeiro, where an
elite unit of the Brazilian Police desperately tries to restore order. Not
in the nicest way. The commanding officer faces a big dilemma and that´s where
the bloody and ruthless journey begins.
I personally adore the movie alot. All actors did a splendid job, you really
get sucked in quickly. There´s a free version on Youtube because the makers
made a mistake and didn´t reserve the rights of the movie. There´s also a second
part, which should cover the current situation of Brazil. I recommend both
movies.

Outrage & Outrage beyond
A Yakuza group is caught in a web of lies and intrigues, drifting slowly toward
their own destruction. In the second part of the movie it´s time for vengeance
and the last survivor returns to take names.
Very good movies, but due to the intrigues on various layers it´s a bit difficult
to keep track. Absolutely recommended.

Nid des guêpes
A police elite unit is ordered to transfer a high ranking prisoner, but is ambushed
on the way to court by military equipped partisans. Outnumbered and outgunned, they
make it to a warehouse, preparing for the final confrontation.
You might know the concept, in theory it´s a remake of "Assault on Precinct 13",
but far better. Excellent movie from France with extreme tension! Don´t watch if
you got a heart issue!

PS:
All movies are quite violent. Tropa de Elite is brutal and heartless, leaves you
shocked, but is easily topped by Nid des guêpes. No explicite violence is shown
like in a zombie movie, with lots of gore and blood, instead you hear bullets
whistle and see the bullet impacts on wests and unprotected bodies. It´s a
nightmare!
In comparsion, Outrage & Outrage beyond are violent, yes, but not too much.
I suggest to watch the movies with your buddies, but make sure that kittens are
not at home for a while.

I enjoyed reading your write up of these this morning during breakfast ...im kind of a fan of these types of movies you have posted... big fan of Jeremy saulnier here... green room, hold the dark, ... nuanced ultra violent...not because im into gore, but pushing boundaries engages me, if not completely terrifies me... Sicario et al...ill see if I can get a look at what you've posted if not at least trailers. 

Thanks for the FYI and share, movie fan

gogo

Oops, I´ve forgotten to put some links up. Here you go:

Tropa de Elite

Nid des guêpes

Outrage and its successor were on Youtube once, but have been removed
after the third part "Outrage Coda" saw daylight. The best scenes from
both movies can be found on Youtube, but they don´t cover the story, which
is quite complex.

Speaking of Sicario, I´ve seen the first part, and I´d say Sicario can´t
compete with Tropa, or Nid des guêpes. Not for one second.
An example:
While Tropa was made, there´s a torture scene, the real elite unit watched
the actors trying hard to get the job done. Since helping is their job, they went
right over and showed the film crew how to torture correctly.

If you ask me, Hollywood movies follow some kind of guiding line, since
years, decades maybe, which leads to movies that follow the same pattern
over and over again. Let´s see: Star Wars, Transformers... what you want.
Non-US studios aren´t bound to such a "code", which leads to better movies.
The makers enjoy more freedom.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Some movies I can recommend:

Centurion
Deep in the scottish highlands, roman legions fight a lost war. A captured young roman commander escapes and runs for his
life. As he is followed by Pikt hunters, he runs straight into a marching roman legion and the battle begins.
Now that´s a real good sandal and sword movie, despite it´s from 2010. The makers tried hard to stay close to original
roman gear, nothing shines and glitters. Great job! The story is ok. Lots of blood and bodies, violent sword battles, well,
there´s always action so to say. There´s the good guy, the traitor, the guy that dies first and so on.
Yes, it´s a movie for boys, girls are allowed, but they might get bored quickly. Too violent, no high heels, no handbags, no
marriage. Guys, have fun and don´t forget to put some beer on the table!
Full movie:

Dog Soldiers
A group of army grunts is send on an exercise near the scottish highlands. As they make their way though the unforgiving
terrain, they stumble across a ravaged camp, full of ammonition and bodies, only to face hours later an enemy that won´t
die.
Dog Soldiers is a slight british horror flic, not too brutal, but with a good dose of brit humor instead. Some scenes are
very tense, audio effects are choosen well. Again, a good movie to watch with your friends. Beer, chips or pizza are
welcome.
Clip:

Event Horizon:
In the near future, a rescue team is send from Earth to the Neptune-orbit to salvage the rememnants of a long lost ship,
that mysteriously appeared on the radar again. On their way to Neptune, the new crew member, a scientist, explains what
the shortest connection between two points is, and how a jump device works. As the crew enters the lost ship, a terrible
nightmare begins.
The movie is a horror-shocker, featuring a very young Laurence Fishbourne, aka Morpheus from the Matrix movies. It takes
a while until the story starts rolling, but then you´ll sit pale and with sweaty hands in your chair. It´s a plain white
nightmare. Not much blood is spilled, there´s no creature or body horror, like you know it from "Alien" or "The Fly". It´s
simply brutal psychic terror with a tiny twist at the end. Recommended! If you would ask me for a similiar movie, I´d say
"The Exorcist".
Clip

Edited by Dax

How interesting! I never heard of that movie. chattius, do you know the movie "Der Schatten"? I can really recommend it.
There´s a full youtube upload, for those who don´t speak german, I try to sum it up quickly:
A criminal is released from prison. Having only a few bucks left, he turns to what he knows best. The spectator watches from a distance, how the whole coup slips  in a early stage of planing slowly, but unstoppable out of the gangster´s hands until the movie finally reaches the point where the whole house of cards collapses.
Despite it´s a rather cheap production for the TV, the movie is very good. Watched it several times, never got tired of it.   

chattius, here you go:

PS:

Here´s the movie "Victoria" chattius mentioned. It´s an english/german mixture, subtitles don´t work correctly, unfortunately, but you might give it a try.

Edited by Dax

Ok, I just watched "Viktoria". It´s not my cup of tea to be honest. Too many swearwords, low life language and some petty
criminals that are acting like big shots.
"City of God" comes close to "Victoria" for those who are interested in such movies.

The story is about a crime boss in a brazilian Favela who starts his career quite early. Since he´s brutal, powerhungry and
ruthless, he quickly makes it to the top. The movie covers his rise and downfall, the story is told from the perspective of
a young journalist and fotographer of the same age.
The makers didn´t hire professional actors, instead they asked Favela-kids if they could get the job done, and the kids
performed well. A very good movie!

Edited by Dax