Reveal to me the secrets of Chrome

gogoblender

Hi everyone!

My latest addiction has been to kind of get onto the band wagon of Chrome. I had known for a while that Chrome's speed was almost ludicrous, but... that skin... well, I could never really get over it o_O

However, lately, we've been doing a lot of wiki pic edits.. and, especially when you're doing hundreds of edits in a row, a fraction of a femto-second slowly adds up and becomes irksome. The change to Chrome has been nothing short of almost delightful...I say almost delightful because, there are still some parts of it that "bug" me.

The skins... bleh lol... nothing beats out Fire Fox's Noia. And Noia is a real skin, changes buttons,, windows, meters...EVERYTHING... not like Chrome's skimpy "dressings" that change the colors or add a few color scratches :)

All that aside...the big part about Chrome that has gotten to me lately is the fact that I can't right click images to hotlink them.

Oops! :)

I meant...

I can't right click images to get image dimensions, location etc... Which I use to grab information with one click for an image if I want to work or edit with it.

Anyone got any secrets they want to share about Chrome with us?

Cheers!

:crazy:

gogo

It,s really too bad about the right click though. For me, that,s a real game breaker. I was using Chrome to zip through edits so quickly...but all of a sudden the ferocious speed hit no right click roadblock... I found myself actually opening the image pix in fox just to pick out the dimensions.

Alas

:)

gogo

I just right clicked on Usain Bolt with Chrome and clicked inspect element then Metrics and it said the image was 397X400. it is a bit cumbersome, maybe the inspect tool can be configured to give to you by default

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is really a secret but when downloading 10 or more files which can affect browsing speed. Chrome is the weapon of choice - for some great reason it is able to quickly render pages without any lag or poor speed.

I agree it's fast...but it's non-ability to right click on images and see their dimensions or get context info was a browser breaker for me. :)

I do a lit of image editing for our Wiki, and while I was able to gain on time with the speed that Chrome lords over, it's inability to get context info like firefox's took it off my hot list pretty quickly.

I have looked and looked all over the net... no fix or attitude change in site

;)

gogo

it's non-ability to right click on images and see their dimensions or get context info was a browser breaker for me. :)

I do a lit of image editing for our Wiki, and while I was able to gain on time with the speed that Chrome lords over, it's inability to get context info like firefox's took it off my hot list pretty quickly.

I have looked and looked all over the net... no fix or attitude change in site

;)

gogo

I share the same sentiment, thankfully there is a way to get image information (dimension, size, etc)

Getting Image Information in Chrome

If you enable resource tracking you can see the image size

1. Right click -> Inspect element -> Resources tab

2. From the "Resource" tab select "Images" and on the left hand side you will see a list of all the image files. If you click any it will give you the image information.

ah ha... that is VERY cool! lol, PBB where have you been all this time ^^ That resources tab is very interesting... lots of goodies...I was actually looking to find out as quickly as possible, as well, where an image I was looking at on the web was being hosted. But I think that just clicking on the first drop down, allows me to open up the image in a new tab...and I can then see it's addy.

You've made this blender a happy one.

Now...if I can only get chrome to actually, while opening up a new tab...change the page I am watching to that new tab...

:P

gogo

lol, this post actually encouraged me to give Chrome another chance, I might try testing a few things out to see if it's really worth it. I just found out you can type in any equation in the address field and it will give you the answer. Only if this was around during my school days it would have been a time saver.

Thats part of google. You can type the same into the firefox google search next to the address bar or in the actual google website search box. Handy for conversion between different units.

I have to say, I tried chrome out for a couple of weeks, and well...I didnt really see any improvement in my web browsing, maybe because I'm one to have alot of tabs open at once and unfortunately I was having issues with the tabs never actually opening the links they were meant to and instead just staying blank. So back to firefox for me.

DB I'm with you no the tabs issue. Every time I click on a link while depressing the mouse wheel, fox would open up it up in a new tab and change my window to that new tab. I still haven't been able to find a functionality like that yet in Chrome

:woot:

gogo

*suddenly he posts*

Ctrl-Shift-Click opens in new tab and set focus to that tab... but it's a bit tedious I'll admit. I normally open a ton of links in new tabs and switch to them later, so this does not actually affect me. Tried downloading a mouse gestures extension?

As far as the image issue goes, it's a bit weird that chrome does not have a "properties" option in the right-click menu, but this Instant Image Editor looks as if it's worth a shot as far as image extensions are concerned. (Depending on how "instant" it really is).

Edit: Just installed "Instant Image Editor" and it's not bad at all. Depending on the size of the image, it's loading speed ranges from rather instant to not so rather instant...

Edited by Scleameth
DB I'm with you no the tabs issue. Every time I click on a link while depressing the mouse wheel, fox would open up it up in a new tab and change my window to that new tab. I still haven't been able to find a functionality like that yet in Chrome

:cry:

gogo

Same thing works in chrome. Mouse wheel on a link opens it in a new tab exactly like firefox did. However, I was having issues with the tabs popping up and then not always loading the pages. Sometimes they would work, and sometimes more than half wouldnt load.