Pidgin .. not just for eating anymore

gogoblender

One of my friends who puts up with my msn online tirades about how the dang thing's email and msn use crashes my Firefox just revealed to me the glories of Pidgin.

All my IM functionalities, packaged nicely all up together ... ZERO ads, free, open source, not Microsoft...

What's not to love

Anyone else using this.. pros or cons?

And why am I always the last to find out about these things :D

I :) pidgin

:)

gogo

Pidgin is good, but doesn't support video chat/games/whiteboards. It's like MSN from 10 years ago.

I've also had random mysterious crashes, but it's better than using multiple chat clients.

The random crashes are really getting to me. I'll open up a hotmail whilst using firefox and after a few seconds, all of a sudden my browser starts going white and everything freezes for a few seconds.

Pidgin's pretty cool, I don't have to open up my hotmail and google chat anymore, just the one program..and it's also keeping track of my emails by giving me a flag whenever something comes in.

gogo

The random crashes are really getting to me. I'll open up a hotmail whilst using firefox and after a few seconds, all of a sudden my browser starts going white and everything freezes for a few seconds.

Pidgin's pretty cool, I don't have to open up my hotmail and google chat anymore, just the one program..and it's also keeping track of my emails by giving me a flag whenever something comes in.

gogo

Veeeery interesting! I use Firefox and it never crashes when I check my Hotmail accounts. I know you probably do but I have to ask do you keep it up to date? What other programs are running at the same time either in other windows or background? Some antivirus programs don't play nice in certain situations. What OS are you running?

My Firefox is current, I don't run any anti virus at all (haven't for years) I just did sweep with Kaspersky... no green aliens and I'm running with Vista. There is no single program I am running all the time, but you're making me think now that what I should do is perhaps remove all my addons and then slowly build them back up again to see if any of them are contributing to the problem.

gogo

Wow

rnarchlord, you insipred me to keep pegging away... and now bingo! I tried to remember since when this all started happening.. and then I did...when I the last updated to msn messenger came along... and it came with that silly popup for msn today... I remember trying and trying to find a way to stop the pop,but luck fled that day. Now... after another assault along the walls of msn's forced observance, I figgered out the little box was and Boom.. no more crashes.

Thank you... was just about to give up... and now I've come ahead with this sweet pidgeon anyway, AND get to keep using Firefox

wheeeeeeee

gogo

Good, the original problem is solved. ^^

And about the program; had a little test run with Pidgin. Dunno why but it was little shaky for me. Didn't like it much.

Also, tried the new Live Essentials, along with messenger. In my books it's insta-fail.

Now using Trillian and liking it.

Gogo: Well the messenger part wasn't really for my liking. For instance; many functions weren't as easily found as in older versions. The default view was full of unneeded things, adds and stuff. You could minimalize it, but I have a slight hunch it would still consume too much resources. I'll check the other things sometime soon. Really, the IM-partion was enough to stop me using em. xD

Actually, just too a look at it. There's absolutely nothing that's anyway usable for me atm. Can't really judge the rest of it...

Edited by Stormwing