I love watching football on Thursdays, the one Saturday, Sundays and Monday games. I am also into Fantasy Football. I am in 6 leagues. I have no fav football team cause I love the sport as a whole. But I follow the Saints the closest cause they are my families teams. Anyone else into football? Also surprised that there is no sports forum.

World champion in team basketball this weekend in Japan:

RSV Lahndill

Wetzlar is my birth-town, 50000 people. The rivers Lahn and Dill join in the town. I know most of the players real life, because they share the training rooms with the handball club of my oldest daughter.

---

Football is this strange game where you most of the time run with the ball instead kicking it? Why do you call it football while rest of the world is using the world football for soccer? :)

---

With 5 kids and one TV we have to plan what sport to watch carefully. So except olympics or worldchampionships, international soccer or handball games we never watch sport on TV. We have almost no time to watch the sports of our kids when they are doing it. Of cause our favourite teams are the ones our kids are in.

And I think it is sad that many sports are not covered by TV at all:

Except our 2 year old twins all our kids are doing equestrian vaulting as their primary sport. Our second was state champion with her youth team.- the sport is never shown on TV- do you know what vaulting is at all?

When my wife was 16 she and her grandpa won german championships in motorbike with sidecar cross country racing. She was the monkey on the sidecar- the sport is never shown on TV

I played goalie in soccer, handball and field hockey. Then at army I learned the fun of the only 4-dimensional team ball game: underwater rugby- never shown on TV

We even have a sport all of us are doing, except the twins: combined driving - again never on TV

It is a shame that TV dictates what sports are well known and who's athlets are totally overpaid.

When I watch chairwheel basketball live at Wetzlar: 2000 visitors, great athmosphere, great fighting, ...

f914de0bf1d2b788f73c036e0230d704.jpg

Edited by chattius

Yes my wife and I are into football (NFL). (For those not in the know)

In fact it is all we watch on TV anymore, that and College Football. My wife supports the Denver Broncos (NFL) and the Oregon Ducks (NCAA), while I am a Pittsburgh Steeler fan (NFL) and the Oregon Ducks (NCAA). While this makes for a great atmosphere when the Ducks play, it can lead to some interesting times when the Broncos and the Steelers meet up!

Edited by podgie_bear

Nice...Yeah Pats did good...@ Knuckles.

And @ Podgie lol sounds like fun when Steelers and Broncos play. Who won last time they played each other?

@ chattius ...Its been stated that in history "american" football was called football first. Soccer just eventually changed the name cause the fact ball was hit with foot.

Perhaps in english language: the first soccer club with football in his name, Sheffield FC, was founded in 1857 and american football is older.

But in germany and many other countries we never had american football before war times. So Fussball (football) was used for the game you call soccer right from the begin. Old news papers from the 19th century had strange names for 'american football': amerikanisches Rugby, amerikanisches Cricket(!), ...

First half of the 19th century germany was still divided in many small kingdoms and was slowly recovering from the napoleon wars. Turnvater Jahn, father of gymnastics, took up the old greek philosophy: mens sane in corpore sanem, a healthy mind in a healthy body.

He wanted whole germany united in a democratic way, but the president being the emporor. So while in other countries students played the modern ball games, in germany they did gymnastics. After waterloo it was not to train for fighting for freedom, but because they liked the philosophy and the idea of an united more democratic germany.

Edited by chattius