General Claudius

big_0054.jpg

The Dark Legion

by General Claudius

Introduction

On orders of emperor gogo the leader of the Dark Legion, general Claudius, employs the power of astral summoned skeletons his four lieutenants: pain, hatred, cruelty, and strife. The resurrected rallied souls of those slain in battle also help him in the fight. The army is aided by great siege engines the augment guidon which strengthens the army and the skeletal fortification which rains arrows of death. Against a boss he fades into the shadows and goes ninja on the boss. As the leader of an army the general also can serve as a blacksmith to strengthen armor and weapons at high levels with his antedeluvian 'secret' mastery of smithing.

Requirements

Niob smithing and niob bargaining network were used for this build. Results will vary and surely be less impressive without these assets unfortunately. Buff suits http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=15294were also used for all of the buffs except shadow veil which it doesn't work for.

Platform and Testing

PC version Ice and Blood updated as of November 04, 2010. Last patch.

The build has been tested to level 139 and is resilient in niob farming, quest running, and boss running.

Attributes

Put points in dexterity as long as dexterity is lower than strength. When dexterity is equal or higher than strength put pts in vitality.

The reasoning is to increase defense to work in conjunction with anneal blacksmith arts and also increase attack rating for purposes of regeneration per hit (rph) and % life leach (% LL) against bosses. It also increases melee damage done with a shuriken which helps bring mobs down, though the boss the % LL is much more important than the damage delivered from dexterity. The vitality points are added in order to increase survivability to prevent a catastrophe in hard core mode.

Expert Touch and God Spell?

Yes to expert touch...

who cares to god spell

Skills

2Astral Lord Lore.pngAstral Lord Lore (1st to master at level 75) -----> take to 100

3Armor Lore.pngArmor Lore (5th to master)

5Astral Lord Focus.pngAstral Lord Focus (4th to master) -----> take to 99

8Concentration.pngConcentration (1st to master at level 75)

12Malevolent Champion Focus.pngMalevolent Champion Focus (3rd to master) -----> take to 124

18Combat Discipline.pngCombat Discipline (6th to master)

25Constitution.pngConstitution (1st to master at level 75)

35Spell Resistance.pngSpell Resistance (2nd to master)

50Tactics Lore.pngTactics Lore (7th to master)

65Blacksmith.pngBlacksmith (8th to master)

The remaining points you may put into any skill you choose. Mastery is first priority. Then the astrals to 199 total points to mod everything. Then the Malevolent to 124 to mod everything.. I am only at 139 and I have just modified combat discipline.

The reason for astral lore and focus are obvious. We are primarily astral. Combat discipline adds damage to this tree which is our damage dealer and lowers regenerations in combos. Armor and Constitution are so that we will not get one shotted and we take less damage + heal during combat (at mastery of constitution) in order to endure long battles. Concentration is mastered in order to use our three primary buffs: Reflective Emanations, Grim Resilience, and the third is either Nether Allegiance (mobs and lesser boss) or Shadow Veil (elite boss)

Special Note on elite bosses: Dragons, Garganthropod, Octaglamus, Guardians, and Abishai are all so dangerous that we use the shadow veil to get the drop on them. Make sure no skeletons or rallied souls since those will cause the boss to area of effect attack against you.

Malevolent Champion Focus boosts our reflective emanation which protects us from missile, melee, and spell. It also boosts augment guidon which is thrown up against tough mobs to defend and against tough bosses to hit them. Killing spree is also used against a boss for attack rate and to hit chance when modded. I forgot to test a shuriken which is our boss killer without the double hit mods of Frenzied Rampage. But I am sure that with those mods it gives 3 attacks in one animation which is simply awesome when used with % LL. Belligerent Vault is used for travel and at high levels as a debuff (defense) and to escape root.

Spell resistance gives additional protection versus spell in addition to our buffs and allows us to use minions against spitting spiders who Area of Effect attack (in other words we don't use shadow veil). Spitting spiders are still dangerous and it is one area to be careful. It also helps us complete the campaign areas with fen feyrs though we will avoid them in niob as they give little xp and are very dangerous.

A note on defense:

Spells - Spell Resistance, armor, constitution, reflective emanation, grim, gear with % spell resist and % combat art block

Ranged/Melee - High dexterity with anneal, high evasion from the gear/mods chosen, reflective emanation, life regeneration with constitution and grim resilience.

Tactics Lore is chosen to mod two aspects at the same time, while also affecting the HP and HP regeneration of Grim resilience. In those two categories it is just as good as taking Death Warrior Focus and DWF wouldn't mod Malevolent Champion aspect.

Combat Art Modification

General note on battle style prior to platinum:

Prior to platinum your % damage from whets is such a higher boost compared to the difficulty that the skeletons will be a side show and all you really have to do is put up the skeletal fortification. For weapons against the boss you use % LL shuriken. Against mobs you use whatever weapons have a lot of sockets, though a shield is also nice. In the sockets you put skeletal fortification runes. At level 45 you may put niob level runes. By platinum your recharges are low enough that you may replace these with other mods and simply eat runes. Play it by feel.

General note on battle style in niob:

In niob you start heavily using rph and putting the frenzied rampage last in our skeletal fortifications combo. Look for a shuriken with sockets and % LL to use BOTH for boss and mob. It is useful in mob because 1 animation will charge 3 x rph! Which is insane. Once you can hit things reliably (gear) and have rph (gear) then you can eat 200 runes in skeletal fortification. I still haven't done that yet.

Death Warrior Focus.pngDeath Warrior Focus

Grim Resilience.pngGrim Resilience

Rejuvenation - healing

We already survive big hits so we don't need the alternative of extra HP. The rejuvenation is a continuous effect rather than just one big extra pool of HP.

Readiness - defense

We use this in conjunction with anneal to make us melee/ranged proof. The alternative doesn't make sense granted that our buff suit will save so much regeneration. In niob rph will blow away concerns for regeneration even more.

Reflex - evasion

I chose this because with the single monolithic stat 'evasion' I would have covered all melee/ranged attacks. the physical mitigation is nice that it works versus spells but there are few physical spells and we already have grim and spell resistance. Evasion has diminishing returns but we get a lot from gear and we still end up with high evasion in total. You can see your evasion in the tooltip with your melee attack. It gives your own evasion in the tooltip with your attack and your own defense (I think).

Nothing else is modded until very high level. But briefly with a little less explanation....

Rousing Command.pngRousing Command

Persistance, Impulse, Leader

Longer duration a bonus to attack and casting speed, though we already have attack from killing spree. Leader is chosen because regeneration is not an issue. Not that max level skeletons have trouble hitting things!

A note on max level skeletons and my combat art selection:

I have consistently ignored the skeletons (reflective emanation gold mod, lack of nether allegiance shield mod) simply because a max level skeleton raised by a buff suit is indestructible as far as I know and always hits! You heard it here ;)

Demonic Blow.pngDemonic Blow

Wounding, Frailty, Trauma

We don't really need this. We are taking 75 tactics for HP/regen on grim and mod points for malevolent champion. This might help versus bosses but we already have life leach. We certainly don't need it for mobs as we already have the awesome rph shuriken + frenzied rampage.

Malevolent Champion Focus.pngMalevolent Champion Focus

Notation: Before the name of the mod I will put a (#) to signify which order you mod this. This is only relative to the Malevolent Champion aspect and not relative to all aspects. Because Astral Lore is modded to 75 first that means it will get the earliest points. Malevolent will prioritize modding reflective emmanation. Death Warrior will mod Grim once we have concentration mastery.

Reflective Emanation.pngReflective Emanation

Backlash (1), Antimagic (2)

We want to reflect EVERYTHING ranged and magic included. The chance of a monster to hit us is so low with defense/evasion that we don't need to worry too much about stun. Root is bad which is a big reason to be VERY careful in the swamp as root plus spider venom kills even with spell resistance granted enough spiders.

Riposte (3)

Yes Riposte! It doesn't really increase damage dealt by reflect. Well it may do that too. But what it does do is give +10% reflect to melee. That goes to the general and not the skeletons.

Reasons to take Riposte and not Idol:

1 Trust me hahahhahaha

2 You don't have to start over at level 1 if a skeleton dies! (win)

3 Idol only gives 1/2 the reflect to the minions

4 MAX LEVEL SKELETONS ARE INDESTRUCTIBLE (see note above) (win)

Question (FAQ?):

Why don't you use shadow veil at all times when it is so good?

Answer: All the buffs are good and also reflective emanation will deal out more reflect damage if they attack us. We are a tank beefcake make no mistake about us. Our motto is not to be hidden but rather to whether the storm. With the exception of the elite bosses (note above this in the guide).

Note on Frenzied Rampage:

I am not sure if you get three attacks with a shuriken UNMODDED. If you do then don't mod this combat art. And only take malevolent champion to mastery. Or more depending how you spend extra points. Frenzied rampage only purpose is to kill the boss and rph. The life leach % kills the boss and for rph we only want 1 rune read and no + combat arts. If the recharge is .1 seconds that is good. That means more rph! My notes on order of modding are assuming you need the mods to get 3x attack with shuriken. Which would be embarassing if I am wrong :P

Frenzied Rampage.pngFrenzied Rampage

Double Attack (4), Double Strike (5), Venom(15)

I think the doubles are needed for 3x shuriken attack. I might be wrong. Vampire is not chosen because I have found it to not work with %LL stacked on another character. bug?

Killing Spree.pngKilling Spree

Control (6), Perseverence (7), Sway (8)

This is more important than modding guidon. It is our substitute for Death Warrior focus with rousing command at high CA level. The damage pulse is pretty mediocre but the increase to attack % and attack rate are the winners. It grows with each hit so don't be fooled.

You'll get the first mod point on guidon but until high levels you won't mod the others or mod belligerent vault

Augmenting Guidon.pngAugmenting Guidon

Elite (9)

Remember max skeletons are indestructible. Be careful not to go out of range yourself! But the 50% bonus to flat increase is priceless. That then gets multiplied by smith percentage effects.

Healing (10), Fear (11)

We use this for defense. The healing is modified by tactics and the fear lowers their chance to hit even more. In niob without the fear mod a green giant scorpion (very dangerous if you don't know) only had a 16% chance to hit me :) With the guidon at least.

Belligerent Vault.pngBelligerent Vault

Routine (12), Unaware (13), Unbound (14)

reduce defense and escape root.

Last but not least the meat and potatoes is....

Astral Lord Focus.pngAstral Lord Focus

Skeletal Fortification.pngSkeletal Fortification

Focus

Another debatable. Both the reduced cooldown and increased fire scale. But increased fire scales even if you don't take focus. I don't know if cooldown scales when you take rapid fire. I have CA level 100 and when I am able to rph (that is there is someone to hit) I can get 4 towers up if ever so briefly. I still do 11 K damage.

I am most impressed with focus. But its like if you go to Paris you might be impressed with Paris and forget Rome:) no? bon bon?

You will have to spend the cooldown grouping mobs if you don't take focus and skeletal fortification is not a true area of effect attack. 1 target eats all the arrows or 10 eat a smattering of arrows.

Arcane Power, Scattershot

Ok ice is less resisted but weakness effect (status effect of lowering stats including vitality = HP) of arcane magic is even better imho.. But its really a toss up. Scattershot is x2 projectiles versus a 'chance' to pierce. And how often do they line up perfect?

Shadow Veil.pngShadow Veil

Avoidance (4)

I have 1200 stealth with astral focus/lore mastery and 25 runes read into the art. That is enough for level 165 niob dragons. I have 6% recharge. If something sees me I will eat runes up to the level of nether allegiance penalty which is 40% with buff suit. Level 190ish skeletons.

The extra - detrimental effects doesn't really help me since I am not seen. But I foresee if I party with someone and switch on veil for kicks that it might help versus DOT. Or some tactics for swamp spider hunt that I haven't yet developed.

If I had it to choose again I'd take creep to make me feel safer against dragon breath if they see me.

Fade (5)

Makes the chance of no detect on a CA 100% if you have 25 runes read. Runspeed is not needed with a mount and the gear I select.

Sinister Pact (6)

Imperative, makes it a buff... A 30 second cast versus a dragon could mean 'whoops I die after 7 days game time'.

Nether Allegiance.pngNether Allegiance

Accomplice

Its a case of damage versus damage. Blades or another skeleton. More skeletons are sexier ;) But blades might be better. If they tell you that too many skeletons AI is bad thats only because you get 1 chasing A chasing 2 chasing B chasing 3 and they are just running in circles. It happens occasionally but not in general. Against a single opponent they focus fire.

Note:

Most rpg we focus fire by pressing < (I think) or some key. But this build you should disperse fire > (I think). The reason is you build self to a super tank and the enemy fire is meaningless. By dispersing we all find more targets. This has consequences for example I don't fight eyes in blood forest because I have too spread damage (fortifications/skeletons) that there is too many eyes shooting me. Eyes are very dangerous as many veterans know I am sorry to say! You can do it in gold for the quests though as they aren't that dangerous yet.

Commander (8), Elite Equipment (12)

Max level skeletons are indestructible. They out melee a niob green scorpion without my help. They survive laser blast from Kral! Do not take shield if you follow my philosophy of NA buff suit. Elite equipment isn't even necessary but I take it over health regen because I am sure it is modded by both lore and focus. I mod rallied soul before it. I mod spectral hand last because as a single target effect it is simply trumped by %LL. When I eat 200 runes to spectral hand then it becomes fun again.

Rallied Souls.pngRallied Souls

Dark Realm (9)

This means we don't have to run over the whole battlefield to rally someone. The armor is really not needed because the rallied souls are expendable. Also monster versus monster the battle really takes a long time. They by far do not 1 shot or even 8 shot eachother. So 45 seconds will be up usually before they are killed. In any case we can't be bothered micromanaging running everywhere.

Vivification (10)

A substantial increase in duration versus an extra animatee. A toss up really.

Furor (11)

Souls rarely kill anything so contagion is very stinky since it only works when a soul gets death hit. Furor makes the combat art a little more scalable to CA level.

Still do not eat a lot of rallied soul runes. You only gain .1 second duration. You lose recharge. At high level consider eating.

Spectral Hand.pngSpectral Hand

At high level we use as boss/champion killer with 200 runes/mods/and rph of frenzied rampage

Clout

the other mod we already have maxed speed attack

Chill

Adds base damage which is modded by crit/%all channel etc... the other mod scales poorly and we are eating 200 runes with rph

Double Attack

Adds a second hit which scales with all gear/skills. A little kiss of extra % damage does not equal base hit unless its multiplicative rather than additive which I doubt.

Combat Slots

1 Bosskiller

early

Frenzied Rampage.pngFrenzied Rampage

late game

Demonic Blow.pngDemonic Blow , Spectral Hand.pngSpectral Hand , Frenzied Rampage.pngFrenzied Rampage

2 Boss Prep

Augmenting Guidon.pngAugmenting Guidon , Rousing Command.pngRousing Command , Killing Spree.pngKilling Spree

3 Mob Killer

Skeletal Fortification.pngSkeletal Fortification , Rallied Souls.pngRallied Souls , Frenzied Rampage.pngFrenzied Rampage

4 Non-combo

Augmenting Guidon.pngAugmenting Guidon

5 Non-combo

Belligerent Vault.pngBelligerent Vault

I think that with a shuriken FR hits 3 times without mods and with the mods can hit an extra time for each mod, so 4 then 5 hits for picking bronze then silver mod. At least I think that's how it worked when I tested it a while back.

Gear section comes now because every time it was added previously it screwed up my whole post ! I am going ballistic!

Denderan's Battle Plan

offensive skills (grim)

xp (yes!)

willpower

2 sockets

Diabolical Chestplate

Huge Armor

% valuables

3 sockets

Lucreti's Burden

%Combat art block

% spell resist

magic mitigation

2 gold sockets

Lucreti's Vision

spectral hand

casting speed

spell intensity

2 sockets

Lucreti's Revelation

Rallied Soul

Astral Lore

crit

2 sockets

Lucreti's Tail

Astral Focus

Stamina

HP regen

2 sockets

I think the tail also has + astral focus don't know why its not in wiki... actually the wiki is very wrong on this set. Every piece has two sockets!

Lucreti's Honesty

skeletal fortification

run speed

defense%

2 sockets

Dargun's Brogue

run speed

evasion

defensive skills

2 sockets (one bronze)

** the otherwise noted 2 sockets are usually 1 silver 1 gold **

can substitute the evasion and run speed with lucretis shoes but not defense abilities..

Stalwort Safeguard

huge armor

% defense

- chance all channel DoT

increase survival bonus (more xp)

gold socket

2 socket LL shuriken

In the sockets jewelry:

Cancel this your already at max cast speed: 2 silithar's fingers (from blood forest quest to the east) % chance enemy cannot evade and % casting speed

2 rph rings

2 - evasion ring

4 whets

4 anneals

1 recharge smith art

some + skill

xp jewels all the rest

Edited by claudius

Great writing Claudius, Love this build !

Maybe you can do for us a little vid of demonstration eh ? :P

I am not sure if you get three attacks with a shuriken UNMODDED. If you do then don't mod this combat art. And only take malevolent champion to mastery. Or more depending how you spend extra points. Frenzied rampage only purpose is to kill the boss and rph. The life leach % kills the boss and for rph we only want 1 rune read and no + combat arts. If the recharge is .1 seconds that is good. That means more rph! My notes on order of modding are assuming you need the mods to get 3x attack with shuriken. Which would be embarassing if I am wrong :)

I think that with a shuriken FR hits 3 times without mods and with the mods can hit an extra time for each mod, so 4 then 5 hits for picking bronze then silver mod. At least I think that's how it worked when I tested it a while back.

As for Peltring strikes, the unmodded CA Frenzied rampage do 3 hits, and each chances for double-hit mods unfortunatly don't affect ranged weapons.

For the TG with Battle Extension, double-hits mods don't work at all with ranged weapon and the CA do only one hit.

heh, so this is what all the guide writing is about ^^ I've not built alot of SW's, I think one was ranged, one was cavalry. Nice, detailed list you put together for the equipment.

All we need now...is the action film!

:P

gogo

Dragon brother that may be their business trick. I tried to open the files in My documents and it crashed every time. They may want you to use their viewer site so you have to watch their commercials.... A compromise! For me. Ahh well.

Your right about two things. Blacksmith is no good and spell resistance is less effective without Ice and Blood. Actually I don't know if it is totally working in ice and blood but the - crit and - detrimental affects is working..

So you have 2 skills open. Let me just review the skills so I can think..

Astral L

Astral F

Con

Armor

Malevolent F

Tactics

CD

Concentration

Ok if you farm the same gear as me. Aspects (lucretious) on main quest boss (look for % LL shuriken). non-aspect diabolic chestplate on mini-bosses (boar, kobold chief, especially respawning tree).. With my gear you have a LOT of evasion combined with reflect from reflective emmanations. If your still getting hit melee look for plate of tomb hat for evasion. Nonetheless.....

Shield Lore:

You have specced desterity to go along with anneals and you have a large defense bonus on grim. Shield lore would boost this. C+ because you already defended A- if you don't have niob smithing

Damage Lore:

More weaken on skeletal fortification. Shuriken with fire or poison (poison are common to shuriken). C

Ancient Magic:

More Skeletal Fortification damage is welcome. B-

Ranged Lore: might save a socket and attack speed (though thats only relevant on boss and you have modded killing spree). Opens mods on shuriken C+

Death Warrior Focus: More grim. HP pool is really important to survival and more willpower helps to mitigate the lack of SR. I found the demonic blow, spectral hand, frenzied combo even better for bosses and champions when I switched to it. So more levels for demonic blow. You don't need more modifications. B+

Combat Reflexes: I like the anti crit... I redlined in niob when I didn't realize how much armor I needed from those big skeleton champions. B-

Toughness: We don't have any other mitigation gear. A little toughness 20% is much less valuable than a lot 50-80. 20 is ok 50 - 80 rules. And we fight boss with shadow veil bosses have big hits and toughness would have been key. We have 2 pieces of all channel armor. C+ A- if you can't find stalworts or diabolic chest. B- if its true it will help you in the swamp (but socket some anti dot too in niob).

Speed Lore: We have max runspeed with my gear. Might save a socket with % attack though -evasion >>>> % attack. Defense far inferior to shield lore. D+ with my gear and niob smith arts. C+ with bad gear because you don't like to boss farm and no niob smith (Ranged Lore better in that case).

Riding: Lowers recharges on astral. Surprisingly good but still bad. C

Enhanced Perception: Have to take riding then. Don't take divine devotion unless your role playing. A fun skill for loot whores. B. A- if your a loot Addict. A if you have no bargaining network. Reduce them all 1-2 half grades because it means you have to take riding :)

Conclusion:

If you want to play it safer and have the same resources as me I'd take combat reflexes (or shield lore) and Death Warrior Focus.

If you have no niob smith, no bargainers I'd take ranged lore and shield lore.

If you love loot to the extreme riding and enhanced perception (good for xp too but that ruins my gear choice)

Toughness if you change to glacial defender shield and rare (3 star?) mitigation chest and shoulders.

If you want to max damage with skeletal fort ancient magic and damage lore

Edited by claudius
  • 2 weeks later...

Just 1 question mate. I'm doing an SW quite similar to yours, and I would like to know if minions' attack speed is capped at a certain value. I was wondering if leadership mod in AG could be a good idea to increase their attack speed, or would it be a waste?

I am not sure if you get three attacks with a shuriken UNMODDED. If you do then don't mod this combat art. And only take malevolent champion to mastery. Or more depending how you spend extra points. Frenzied rampage only purpose is to kill the boss and rph. The life leach % kills the boss and for rph we only want 1 rune read and no + combat arts. If the recharge is .1 seconds that is good. That means more rph! My notes on order of modding are assuming you need the mods to get 3x attack with shuriken. Which would be embarassing if I am wrong :(

As for Peltring strikes, the unmodded CA Frenzied rampage do 3 hits, and each chances for double-hit mods unfortunatly don't affect ranged weapons.

For the TG with Battle Extension, double-hits mods don't work at all with ranged weapon and the CA do only one hit.

I guess this was a bug/expoit that was fixed on PC. On the console, using a ranged weapon (I tried shuriken and energy gun) with Frenzied Rampage does get the chances for double-hit. One FR can do 3-6 shots, but it's usually 4 or 5... pretty disgusting stuff, esp. with the high damage on the 2H guns :o

But for the TG, Battle Extension still only shot 1 time with the double-hit mods... Llama said that BE gets a damage bonus with ranged weaps instead of double-hits.

I am not sure if you get three attacks with a shuriken UNMODDED. If you do then don't mod this combat art. And only take malevolent champion to mastery. Or more depending how you spend extra points. Frenzied rampage only purpose is to kill the boss and rph. The life leach % kills the boss and for rph we only want 1 rune read and no + combat arts. If the recharge is .1 seconds that is good. That means more rph! My notes on order of modding are assuming you need the mods to get 3x attack with shuriken. Which would be embarassing if I am wrong :(

I guess this was a bug/expoit that was fixed on PC. On the console, using a ranged weapon (I tried shuriken and energy gun) with Frenzied Rampage does get the chances for double-hit. One FR can do 3-6 shots, but it's usually 4 or 5... pretty disgusting stuff, esp. with the high damage on the 2H guns :o

But for the TG, Battle Extension still only shot 1 time with the double-hit mods... Llama said that BE gets a damage bonus with ranged weaps instead of double-hits.

Actually, (and this is something I tested after woody said this as I was certain I had seen otherwise, yet forgot to post...) the case is the same for PC as well. Makes for an effective tactic against bosses...getting consistently 4-5 hits with FR and a life leech shuriken...huge amounts can be leeched.

Actually, (and this is something I tested after woody said this as I was certain I had seen otherwise, yet forgot to post...) the case is the same for PC as well. Makes for an effective tactic against bosses...getting consistently 4-5 hits with FR and a life leech shuriken...huge amounts can be leeched.

Yeah, I went and had a look-see after you (I think?) said your energy gun was "firing like an uzi". Quite the accurate description and re-affirmed my feeling that energy guns had SOME use in the game (and by use, I mean abuse :(

Did PC get any Legendary energy guns? Seems odd they got every other type covered for a legendary... except maybe shurikens, and they don't even have a unique! (IIRC)

Heya,

there is that poison star or something unique Shuriken. Not great, but it is there.

No legendaries for either guns or shurikens. At least, not that we know of :o

Closest to energy gun would be Khral's Sceptre ...:(

Greetz

Edited by Barristan

Munera I took the leadership mod because I scaled all my recharges for all times and not just when I use rousing command. In other words I didn't like the other mod. I think the skeletons attack very fast but I don't know if its possible to get them faster.