Server that uses the community patch?

Is there an online server that utilizes the community update so we can play with other people using it?

You could also look into Tunngle. it is a LAN over IP peer networking program. its free and you can host LAN session over the internet.

http://www.tunngle.net/

A couple of us used it last spring when the closed servers went down for a day or two. even hooked up with Groosum down in NZ.

Oh, bleh that sucks... So they won't allow the CM patch to run on their servers, nor will they let us run a private server to utilize it? Can't imagine why they would care given that the developers have long since abandoned the game and there are no more official updates... Is that also the policy of Dark matters as well, not to support private servers?

I know Blizzard private servers are against there ToS... But our community has ran a private server for close to 5 years for my mod Hell Unleashed; something Blizzard has long been aware of but have never had issues with it or contacted me in regards to it... From my past experience dealing with private servers, companies are primarly concerned with by-passing the cd key requirements or suscription fees for online play, but often turn a blind eye to private servers for the purpose of community mods... It would strike me as odd that Deep Silver would even care given they wont endorse the community patch on their own server and aren't doing anything to evolve the game any further, not too mention Sacred 3 is being developed... Hell Deep Silver doesn't even have an official site or forum for Sacred 2... it just re-directs you to the old one. Shows how much they are interested in this game.

I just don't see the point in the community patch if there is no unified online multiplayer community for it given that Sacred 2 is essentially an online game... I love the community patch, but I want to be able to play online with other people on the fly... It's a hassle to have to pre-arrange games via open.net or LAN... not to mention anyone can just hack their characters and cheat... :4rofl:

Edited by Soulmancer
Is that also the policy of Dark matters as well, not to support private servers?

Hi

Deep Silver does not allow private servers, how would we be allowed to have one then?

:4rofl:

gogo

Well officially I guess you wouldn't be "allowed" I am just stating I highly doubt Deep Silver would care if you did... Surely there must be a closed server emulator for Sacred 2:) I had heard there were private servers for Sacred 2... Technically I am not allowed to run my Diablo 2: Hell Unleashed server according to Blizzard's ToS... But my community has done so for over 5 years without ever having an issues with Blizzard, along with many others who run mods on private servers because much like Sacred 2's CM patch, you cannot play mods on the official b.net closed servers... Blizzard has turned a blind out to private closed servers for the purpose of mods and total conversions... So yes, technically you would not be allowed either if Deep Silver has stated that, I am just saying that if you chose to do it I am willing to bet a thousand dollars they wouldn't care or try and shut it down... For a few reasons.

1.) The game has been abandoned by developers... there are no more official updates and patches, they don't even have an official forum or website. you just get re-directed to the original site/forum... Furthermore looking at the Deep Silver website in North America, they don't even acknowledge they even have a game called Sacred 2 at all. And if you hosted a server in NA that would be a loop hole.

2.) They will not allow mods or community patches on the official server.

3.) The private server would be for use of mods and community patches, not to endorse piracy

4.) Sacred 3 is currently in development

So yes, I am not saying Dark Matters is technically allowed to run a private server. I am just saying it is highly unlikely Deep Silver would care if you used an emulator to do it anyway... Then you could have your own closed server with the community patch and a united community... I did the samething for Diablo 2, otherwise my mod Hell Unleashed would never have been completed or grown as popular as it is today... I am very interested in the community patch for Sacred 2, but I don't see the point given that Sacred 2 is essentially an online game and limiting it strictly to Single Player, LAN and Open.net will hold it back given that it requires pre-arranging all online play with people in advance as opposed to just hopping online and LAN or Open.net has no defense against cheaters because anyone can simply edit their character... So yah, I'm not saying it would be allowed, but Deep Silver would more then likely turn a blind eye if you did and it would benefit the community a lot rather then having closed.net limited to a world the developers have long since abandoned... I'm not sure, just trying to give you some food for thought... If Deep Silver is saying they wont host the community patch, nor will they continue to improve the game I really don't see why there would be any problem... I don't see why Deep Silver would care about this when they clearly don't even care about the game itself.

I "get" you

As one of the biggest fans of this game, seeing this beautiful patch come alive here on the boards under the direction of Marcus and Czernak has been delightful for me.

Sacred 2 is pretty much the only game we really support these days. We also run one of the largest independent gaming wiki's in the world to support it. It's something we're proud of, as well as the community (Our family! :D) that has built the kamikaze's, this forum and the database.

lol, I'm not sure if getting interested in taking chances with breaking TOS's at this point is such a good ideas, as we're so committed to this one and only game (Though Guild Wars 2 is looking good for a vacation for us ^^)

Playing safe is wise, and there's an infinite number of projects, builds and guides we would like to complete before Sacred 3 gets here.

:)

gogo

Yah I can understand that. it sucks that so many developers have this stance. It make sense in MMORPG's that have suscription fee's or cash shops but for games like Diablo and Sacred? Always piffed me off to see it imposed on these kind of games as some short-sighted tactic at combating piracy. In the long run it severely cuts the hands off moddability when they maintain strict control over there server and not allow any mods or community patches even after the game has been abandoned and yet tell us we can't run our own private modded server because people may have pirated the game and can use fake cd-keys to connect...

So is there no official Open.net server for the community mod then that people play on? Great patch, but where/how does the online community play it? I want to play using it, but I don't want to play by myself.